General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Tarmac vs Allez Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-09 2:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Specialized Tarmac vs Allez
Gotta ask. Went to the bike store yesterday and did a little test ride, or looked at the Specialized Allez. Well they had one my size got on and still couldn't get over the feel of a road bike. My bike now is a Specialized FSR which has to weigh at least 30 lbs. Anyways, the guy is showing me an assortment of bikes and was one heck of a great salesman, or at least he made me feel comfortable. Well the Allez felt right. Then he showed me a Tarmac which is one model year old and right now they were running a discount where I could get it for around 1700? Seems to be a pretty good deal and the bike looked great. Figure tht if the price of gas goes back up it'll be cheaper to ride the bike to work everyday and to get groceries, so maybe it'll offset it's self. (Me sad attempt of trying to rationalize the purchase ). Actually trying to just find some info out and it seems like all the sites I goto have great reviews for both. Want to do a little more research as i'm going to go buy one or the other next weke. They were both the same size and the Allez fit great. Didn't ride the Tarmac though. Can afford both but is there a website that will tell me what the differance is between double, triple, compact, etc. Sorry for this newbie question, just having a hard time finding the differances between all the differant designations on the models. 

2009-02-09 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1951972

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Specialized Tarmac vs Allez
You have to ride the Tarmac to compare the two, because they are completely different bikes. I have owned both and now ride the Tarmac expert. Carbon and aluminum have completely different rides. Both have a different purpose, Tarmac is more of a race frame and the Allez is a comfort bike. Aluminum is more forgiving if you wreck and is more affordable, carbon is lighter and rides nicer. I have a compact crank, it gives me a decent selection of gears, the triple gives you the most selection of gears with plenty of granny gears for hills, I found the added weight was not worth it for me along with the need for constant adjustment. The differences basically come down to components,Shimano 105,Ultegra,Dura ace. All are decent with Dura ace at the top. Some have better wheels also.
2009-02-09 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1951972

Subject: RE: Specialized Tarmac vs Allez
The Allez is a racing bike and has very similar geometry to the Tarmac.  The Roubaix is the "comfort" model in the Specialized line up.  You have to ride the Tarmac to see if it's worth the money to upgrade.  Also, if you are buying the bike for long training rides, take a look at the Roubaix.  You should be able to get one for close to the $1700 on the Tarmac.   
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Tarmac vs Allez Rss Feed