Overall Rank = 150/241
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/37
Run
  • 2h 32m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This is always an adventure. The first time I did this (in 2006), I had done it without training and really didn't do well, though I finished. My goal today was to better my previous time of 3:16:04.

Overall, I was very, very happy with my race today. For my general level of fitness, the condition of the trails, and the overall difficultly of the hills and different sections, I could not have asked for a better time.

I ran with my friend Michelle for the first 3 miles, at which point I lost my footing on one of the uphill sections, dropping me back a few seconds -- because of the single-track aspect of the race, that few seconds that early in the race meant I eventually lost sight of her a few minutes later. I dropped into a 9:30 min/mi pace and really ran well until mile mark 11.1 (water station). I mentally defeated myself at that point, because I figured we were at mile 12, and to see that I had another 2 miles left was heartbreaking.

Mile 12-13 went really slow, as I hit the wall.

Finally the end was in sight and I was able to finish fairly strong. I had a cramp that had started in my right quad during mile 11, and when I crossed the finish line and stopped running, it locked up for a few minutes. Looking around at the rest of the runners though, I got off lucky, as we all had scrapes, bruises and a number of people had turned their ankles. I saw a couple people with impacted toes, which might have been broken -- slick course + roots and rocks = fun time for people, not so much for bodies.

The course was listed as 13.1mi, but a number of people's GPS and watches were showing 13.53 mi as the actual distance. If it was truly a half-marathon, I ran a little over 11:40 min/mile, which wasn't bad, all things considered, but if it was the longer 13.53, I was closer to 11:10. This is considerably slower than my usual run, but with the elevation changes and the mud, I can't at all complain.

There's always next year!
What would you do differently?:

Increase my distance base -- I have been doing 7-8 miles for my long runs, and while I was extremely happy with my time.

Trail shoes.

More hill repeats.
Post race

Last updated: 2009-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:32:12 | 13.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/37
Overall: 0/241
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly single track trail, a few miles of fire roads, and a very short section on pavement to start. Muddy. It rained all night last night and all during the race, so the course was muddy, slippery and downright ugly -- which made it lots of fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-17 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA
Subject: EX2 Off-road Half Marathon

2009-05-18 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2156551

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!
Subject: RE: EX2 Off-road Half Marathon

Great Job! I opted out of this race because of th all night rain. I was worried about injuery....all in all what was the injury results in the end?

I am kicking myself for not going....but i'm glad you had a good time!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EX2 Off-road Half Marathon Rss Feed