Gazelle Sports
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 5s
Overall Rank = 318/405
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 38/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30. Had a couple pieces of toast w/ peanut butter and a small glass of milk. Drank water on the way to the race and during transition setup. Got there early enough that I could grab the first spot on my rack.
Event warmup:

Just tried to stay warm as the air temp when we got there was around 50. Stretched out well and did a little jogging, but not much else. Didn't get wet until they called my heat. Probably should have practiced with the rented wetsuit.
Swim
  • 14m 44s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not really sure what went on here. Due to the cold air temp and potential cold water temp, I decided at the last minute to rent a wetsuit. I had never swam in one, so I did not know what I was in for. I started the wave in the back on the LH side (away from buoys) and just tried to site on the turn buoy. Wow, did that look like a long way out. Once the swim began, I just got in my normal rhythm rather quickly, which was about a 2:00 pace. I started coming up on people and could not hardly believe it. Before I realized where I was, I was at the first turn. Man, did that just fly by. Made the turn and then started to lose my stroke. I spent the next several minutes alternating between a breast stroke and freestyle. I did this for most of the remainder of the swim. Once I got within about 300 yards, I just sucked it up and tried my best to finish strong.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear a wetsuit for the first time during your first event. Practice open water more and try to maybe slow down a little to maintain the freestyle stroke.

I don't think there was anything else I could have done differently today. I most certainly exceeded my expectations. During my practice swims of this distance, the time was around 20-22 minutes. I knocked between 5-7 minutes off that time? I have to attribute most, if not all, to the best $30 I've spent in a while - renting a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Not sure where to begin here, other than I need to practice these more often. Most of the time can be attributed to trying to remove the wetsuit. After that was off, the helmet, sunglasses, socks and shoes went on relatively well.

More practice in removing a wetsuit and running from the water to the transition area.
Bike
  • 57m 58s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a whole lot here. Bike went pretty much as expected. I probably went a little hard and sure enough, paid for it on the run. When I did a practice run through a couple weeks ago, I averaged about 16 MPH, so I picked up the pace over that.

Seeing that biking is probably the one discipline that I do the easiest, I should probably try to conserve a little on the bike and keep something in the tank for the run. Also need to develop a "race pace" and keep to it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Another somewhat botched transition. Everything was going good. Bike on the rack, shoes off, running shoes on. Then it went to hell. I put on my race belt and as soon as I did, the number popped off one side. Spent several seconds trying to get that side back in. As soon as I did, the other side popped out. WTF!!!!! Now, I'm pretty frustrated. Ended up having to take the belt off and put the number back on and then put the belt back on. Grabbed some more gel and finally made it out of T2.

Next race, I'm going to not only use the attach points on the belt, but I'm going to baby pin the number on as well.
Run
  • 49m 3s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 10m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

This run went pretty much as I expected. Mix in some running and walking and just get to the finish. Grabbed some water and Gatorade at all the stations. I meant to bring my own hydration belt and drink some HEED, but forgot it in the car. As I was approaching all 3 aid stations, I took some gel out of the squeeze bottle and washed it down with some water. Ended up running the final mile or so with CraigT and didn't even know it. Sorry Craig, I guess we should have properly introduced each other at the finish line. While coming through the transition area to the finish line, we decided to pick up the pace. With about 200 yards or so to go, I picked it up to as much of a sprint as I could muster to the finish.

Try to limit or adjust my pacing to include more running and less walking. Get in better shape and lose some more weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a few minutes after. Received congrats from my wife, family and friends. Went to the nutrition tent and got some water and fruit. Stretched out while cheering on some of the triathletes coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The biggest area would be to improve on my transition times. With even decent T times, I could have finished with a sub 2:05. Not that I'm complaining about finishing in 2:08, when my goal was 1. To finish and 2. have a time under 2:30.

Last updated: 2009-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:44 | 875 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 245/405
Performance: Good
Suit: Rented Blue Seventy Reaction Full Suit
Course: Rectangular shaped out with 2 RH corners around buoys, then back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:58 | 18 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Overall: 232/405
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course with some decent hills, at least for me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:03 | 04.5 miles | 10m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 318/405
Course: Rectangular shaped course, using some of the same roads as the bike course. Pretty decent hills once out on the road. Leading from T2 to the road, you had to run on hard backed and soft dirt, grass and a gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 10:06 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Subject: Tri del Sol

2009-07-18 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2293924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Subject: RE: Tri del Sol
Kevin,
Great race today.  You had more in the tank than I did for that final sprint and you got me by 9 seconds.  When you told me your goal was to finish under 2:30, I was thinking, well you are really going to crush that. 

Craig
2009-07-19 9:45 AM

New user

I guess the Triathlon world is pretty small.  I was in the transition spot next to you!  Congrats on your times and good luck at Millenium Park and the other races you're doing this year.  Maybe we'll see you at Reeds Lake.

Jason 
2009-07-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2294214

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
2Sinkorswim - 2009-07-19 10:45 AMI guess the Triathlon world is pretty small.  I was in the transition spot next to you!  Congrats on your times and good luck at Millenium Park and the other races you're doing this year.  Maybe we'll see you at Reeds Lake.

Jason 
Jason,Thanks and it was good to meet you. Congrats on your race as well. How did you do? I am looking forward to Millennium Park. And I may see you at Reeds Lake. Now that I have one under my belt, I may sign up for that one as well. Yes, this is another small world coincidence. Oh, welcome to the forum.Kevin

Edited by Cutlass454 2009-07-19 10:40 AM
2009-07-19 11:10 AM

New user

Hi Kevin,I feel pretty good about my overall time - I was just hoping to break two hours and improve over my times from last year's triathlon. I improved everywhere except for the run despite feeling absolutely horrible on the swim. I felt great after the race and absolutely hit a wall of exhaustion last night. My wife and I signed up for Reeds Lake this morning so there's a better chance we'll see you there.Jason
2009-07-19 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
That's so awesome!! Congrats on a great first race.

2009-07-19 10:27 PM

User image

On your right
Awesome job, man.  Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri del Sol Rss Feed