BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-12-12 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED)
NAME: Molly Rosenblum(aka molly@rosenblumlawlv)

STORY: Aside from a triathlete, I am a mother of two children, a wife and an attorney with a full time legal practice. I was first introduced to distance events by my 50 year old mother who decided at the age of 50 she was going to run a marathon. After watching her run and finish, my sister and I looked at each other and said, "if our mother can do a marathon at 50 so can we." So the next year, we trained and the three of us completed the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon. Fast forward 7 years, and my mom's fitness trainer, introduced me to the world of triathlon. Having come from a running background, I was very uncertain, but thought what the heck and registered for my first event at Solana Beach. Getting to the start and seeing the open ocean in front of me, I quickly changed to the duathlon and from that moment was determined that it would be the last time I would back out of a triathlon except for medical reasons. The next season I joined BT, became involved in a mentor group and completed my first triathlon at the San Diego International Triathlon. I finished eighth in my age group and really surprised myself. After that I was hooked and completed my first HIM at the Silverman in 2008. In 2009, I completed my first IM and my husband completed his first HIM. I love the triathlon community and the events and look forward to another season of racing and hope that next year my husband and I will race together at Silverman.

FAMILY STATUS:Married with two children 8 and 5

CURRENT TRAINING: During the season, which will start for me on Jan. 4, I will train 6 days per week and have followed the BT training programs at almost every distance for previous seasons. I have trained with triathlon coaches and fitness coaches and also enjoy using group workouts for training. I bike with a local club and train with a local group. Those things help with training, but I am 100% responsible for my training schedule and planning my workouts.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009, I started early with the 70.3 CA Oceanside race which was my second HIM. I also competed in several local sprint triathlons with 2 finishes in second place women overall and won my age group every time. I went to the Sprint Nationals in California and finished 14th in my age group. The season was completed with IMAZ which was my first iron distance event.

2010 RACES: I am presently signed up for 70.3 Oceanside, Ironman St. George and will be competing in the Silverman HIM in my hometown of Henderson, Nevada (which is an awesome race and exceptional event). I am certain I will do several local races as well throughout the season at the sprint and olympic distances.

WEIGHTLOSS: When I started exercising in college I went from 180 pounds to 140 pounds over several years. I completed my first marathon in 2000 and maintained my weight at around 135-140. After having my children and gaining 80 pounds and 50 pounds with each pregnancy, I returned to triathlon and currently maintain my weight between 125-130 pounds. I am however a firm believer that overall weightloss is not the goal of my training but rather the benefit of dedicated training and fitness.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: When I first started triathlon 2 seasons ago, I joined a mentor group and the input and encouragement was invaluable. I am always looking to learn and help where I can - I firmly believe the triathlon community is very unique in this way. Although everyone is competitive and has their own goals, it never ceases to amaze me how encouraging the community is and how willing people are to help out and offer advice. I am hopeful that I can take some of what I have learned and help others, whether it is completing your first triathlon ever or training for an Ironman.

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2009-12-14 6:12 PM

2009-12-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2556063

User image

Regular
Toronto
Subject: RE: 2010 Molly's Mentor Group (OPEN)
Hi Molly, I'm looking for guidance and inspiration as I try to step up a bit and start competing rather than completing. Mostly looking for ways to balance the training with a pretty full schedule! I like your profile - mom, full time professional - I think that you'll be able to relate to my time crunch. I've just followed your headings for my info.

NAME: Pamela

STORY: I started running about 8 years ago to shed baby weight and started off doing half marathons and smaller running races. I'm rather slow, but getting faster. Two years ago, a friend asked me to join her for a sprint triathlon, and although I nearly drowned, I was hooked. Since then, I've done five triathlons - four sprints and an olympic. I love it, but feel a bit stretched and often a little bit guilty that the time I spend training and racing is taking time from my boys. I work full time as a communications analyst, and I'm a freelance writer.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two children 9 and 12.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I swim twice a week with a swim club run by a triathlon coach - I've taken 20 seconds off my pool pace so far, so I'm stoked. Once a week I swim on my own. I bike every day to work and back, about 20 - 21 km, and I'm beginning to run again after a nasty calf injury back in September. So I'm hoping to start running three to four days a week. I get as much of my training done before everyone's awake.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I did a short sprint in Barrie - finished around 1:26 or so; a longer sprint in Orillia - 750 m swim, 33 km ride, 7 km run, which I finished in 2:12 or something like that, and an Olympic that had an extra km added to the run in error, that I did in 3:15 or something close.

2010 RACES: I've signed up for nothing yet, but it's my plan to do a longer sprint, an olympic, a long course and then a half iron - most likely in Muskoka. My goal is to shave 15 minutes or more off of my olympic distance, which I believe I can do with my improved swim and getting my bike re-fitted into more of an aero position and adding aero bars. I also think that I need to learn to fuel better during the bike so that I can run better...and more bricks, more bricks, more bricks...But mostly, I need to get a plan and stick to it and put in the hours - I know that that's going to be the most helpful.

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight has always fluctuated - sometimes wildly. In the past couple of years, I've managed to keep my weight under 145 (I'm 5'9"). I'm trying not to make weight loss the focus of my triathlon goals, but I know that I'd be faster if I could just get down to 135. I'm considering starting either the Paleo diet for athletes or the core balance diet in January.

I'm looking forward to working with you, Molly. 
2009-12-14 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Pamela:

Welcome to the group.

Molly
2009-12-14 2:04 PM

User image

San Diego
NAME: Arno Chrispeels  [email protected]

STORY: I am a science teacher in Poway, CA. I live nearby in San Diego.  I am 39 and have been teaching for 13 years. I have tried a variety of ways to keep fit over the years some more successful than others. 7 years of Karate, 3 years of paddling outrigger canoes and most recently swimming.  I started swimming at the school pool 2 days a week last year. My plan was to do the LJ rough water swim but I chickened out for some reason.  I worked up to about 2+ miles and over the summer swam a couple times a week in the ocean. For some crazy reason I realized that I wanted to do something more.. mid-life crisis? I don't know. So I bought a road bike last month and have already put 140 miles on it despite the rain. A friend has done a few sprints and while I'm not a fan of running I think I could learn.  My primary goal is to be fit and have fun.  I'm not out to win, just to finish and prove to my self that I can do this, as well as be a good role model of fitness for my kids.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my wonderful wife Sunshine with two boys, 8 (Kai) and 6 (Myles)

CURRENT TRAINING: I just started the BT Olympic 20 week program (I'm 3 days into it).  I probably am doing more than indicated, but I feel like I should train the way I enjoy, if that is longer than so be it.  I will need to watch for burn out, as I am prone to overdoing it and then giving up when I get injured.  I have great endurance, but I'm SLOW.  I'm going to need to suffer through some speed workouts to get my speeds up, in the pool, on the bike, etc. I'm thinking about joining the San Diego Triathalon Club, they have free "races" and lots of training activities.

2010 RACES: I haven't signed up for anything yet.  I have my sights set on three races, a sprint at mission bay, an Olympic on Coronado and the san diego triathlon, another Olympic.  Each is a month apart, Feb, Mar and April.  I have no idea if that is a good idea or not. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Definitely!  I was 225lbs. 5'10, I'm down to 218 now and still working lower.  I would like to get to 180.  Weight loss is not my primary goal, fitness is.

2009-12-14 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

NAME: Christina

STORY: I grew up playing any sport I could and spent my summers swimming somewhat competitively.  In high school I moved away from team sports and focused on Cross Country and Varsity swimming (where I was a “distance” swimmer).  I went to a small college, where I could have swam, but a shoulder injury, engineering school, and having a social life prevented that.  After college, I moved into the mountains of Colorado for work (I’m a mechanical engineer) and started up with a Spinning class to help get back into shape, where the instructor pushed me to consider triathlons.  After doing the run portion in a Tri on a relay team with some friends, I realized that I could enjoy triathlons, so I bought a road bike and started training in the pool again. In September I was the swimmer on a relay for the local tri, and went on to complete my first sprint tri in October.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I stick to running twice a week (I’m working back into it after recovering from IT band issues), biking at least two days, and I will be back into swimming this week now that I’m finally over the nasty cold I had. Other than that, I try to make as much time as possible to snowboard and enjoy the snow now that it’s around.

THIS YEAR’S RACES: Bolder Boulder 10k in May, 5k at the Leadville Tri, first Half Marathon in August, 825m swim in the local Tri and a Sprint in October

2010 RACES: Kansas HIM in June, Leadville Tri in July, and the local Tri in September.  I have my eye on a couple races in August, and a couple in June and July in the Denver area, but haven’t decided yet.

WEIGHTLOSS: I’m 5’8” and my weight usually sits between 145 and 150 these days, which is down about ten pounds since May.  I would like to be under 140 by my big race next year, but that is not my focus for training.

Can't wait to try this out!!

2009-12-14 2:06 PM

User image

Regular

So far this sounds like a group i can really relate to. I am a planner who's plans seem to be constantly interrupted. Time is my biggest obstacule.

Name: Amanda

Story: I did my first sprint tri a few years ago and loved it. Then I got in to nursing school and my world turned upside down. Nursing school is made for 18-20 year olds who have no family no children no job no life, and since i have all of the above it is a constant struggle. I was able to train over the summer for a sprint this last october, but ended up with the swine flu the day of the race. I have always run and lifted off and on. This summer I fell in love with the bike and still HATE the swim. I'm coming up on my last semester and it is supposed to be less intense, so I figure this would be a good time to get going on my training.

Family: Married (he does triathlons as well, which helps) and a 4 year old daugter (Madi)

This year: there was the sprint that i turned pig for and then I did the Susan G Komen race for the cure 5k.

2010: Since I have a while to get ready, the plan is to train for the longhorn 70.3 and do the OKC Memorial Half Marathon in april (that one is a maybe) The plans may be a little steep, but there is a back up plan in case things don't go as smoothly as anticipate.

Weightloss: since i had madi it has been a battle with weight. I really let myself go last year and was able to start reeling it back in over the summer. Right now i am 5'5 at 141. I would like to be between 125-130. We all want to look good at the finish line right?  

2009-12-14 2:12 PM

NAME: Teisha Coyour 

FAMILY STATUS:Married with two children 21 months and 7 months

CURRENT TRAINING: I do the elliptical and/or bike 4 times a weeks

RACES: I have not done any yet, though I was in track in high school.

WEIGHTLOSS: With recently having two children I have gained 15lbs from what I was when I was married. In the last two months I have lost about 5lbs of that 15.

I am excited to be part of your group!
2009-12-14 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome everyone. This looks like it is turning out to be a great group. We will wait for a few more to join and then I will close the group.
2009-12-14 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
Abbotsford BC, Canada
Hi Molly, I would like to join your group. I also have two children 8 and 5 so we have some similar challenges

NAME: David

STORY: 30 years ago I used to run but could never stay uninjured to even enter a Marathon. My 10k times were about 45mins. Then I got married. 20 years ago I use to bike and race time trials, really loved that and completed a 100 mile randeneur but can't remember my time but it wasn't bad. It was a revealation that I could train and stay uninjured! Then I got married again.

Fast forward to 9 years ago. Got married again, had a new young family and proceded to gain as much weight as possible. 4 months ago I decide my fat days were over if I ever wanted to spend quality time with my two young girls in the future so I decided I would qualify for Boston. Soon realized that all running was not going to work for me and I really needed to cross train at 238 lbs, started to read about Triathlon, realized all Tris weren't Ironman distance (didn't know that) and a Tri Sprint would be safer and more realistic to train for. Learned to swim properly (asked a lifeguard how to breathe) and got back into spin classes which I really enjoy.

Today I weigh in at 214 and tomorrow is my 61st birthday. Bought a used bike 2 days ago (Trek 1.2) so I'm getting closer and closer. My diet is great compared to earlier in the year, much more fruit, vegetables and salad and some suppliments.

OCCUPATION: Internet Consultant for 15 years. Work from home. Spend way too much time staring at a computer screen. Build websites, conduct Internet Marketing campaigns and provide strategy and consulting to small amd medium sized small buisness.

FAMILY STATUS: Seperated with two children 5 and 8.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have my own system cobbled together from reading everything in sight including Joe Friels' TB. Because of my age and weight I am very aware of rest and recovery and try hard to plan them. When I was younger I made lots of mistakes in this area. I Bike (spin mostly for now) 3 times a week, swim 3-4 times per week and run (walk with very short jogs) 2-3 times per week. I'm being very carefull with the run because of my weight and I have had many running injuries in the past especially with my left knee. This will probably be my biggest challange and I'm hoping big weight loss (goal 175-185) will realy help avoid injury.

2010 RACES: My plan is to race a Sprint (Delta) in March as a B race, June will be an A race either Sprint or Olympic (UBC) depending on how things are going and same for June in Victoria. The other races I will plan later but I think it will be 2011 before I attempt any IM or HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: 5' 11" - Started out 4 months ago at 238. Today 214. Goal 175 - 185 (not sure if 175 is even possible). So far a pretty steady weight loss of about 1.3lbs per week but last few weeks hit a bit of plateau so this week is a big push to get back on track. I stopped focusing on calories and looked only at good nutrition..... refocus on calories as well as nutrition.

Lokk forward to this....

Edited by raveon 2009-12-14 3:29 PM
2009-12-14 3:20 PM

Regular
North Wales, UK
NAME: MaggieSTORY: I just had surgery for a torn meniscus about 10 weeks ago. I think this injury must have been almost 15 years old, and every time I tried serious exercise I became injured and needed to quit. I'm hopeful that my knee is stable now and triathlon is helping me commit to a more well rounded fitness program rather than just running and yoga, both of which really aren't all that great for me. I'm a consultant psychologist and teach at a university. I work 75% time, volunteer at the kid's school and generally go all day. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two children ages 3 and 6. Now that the boys are not babies anymore, I have a bit more time for fitness. CURRENT TRAINING: I swim 2x a week for 30 minutes when the kids are in swim lessons (how is that for efficient?). I am looking for a few lessons because I realised I'm not well balanced in the pool. I am working my way back to running with a couch to 5k program to be kind to my still healing knee. I am physically up for more, but I am trying to be sensible. I supplement these runs with about 45 minutes on the elliptical. I am just beginning to cycle, just today I got on a bike and it didn't hurt so I am throwing myself into tri training with gusto. I live in the mountains of Wales, so all cycling will be hills. I've just taken my very old bike to the shop to get fixed up and get a giant gear added. 2010 RACES: I am a total newbie. I'm signed up for two sprint races in North Wales this spring. The Harlech Tri in May which has a pool swim and evil hills, and a sprint tri in Llandudno in July which has a sea swim and some evil hills. If those go well there is a standard distance in the autumn that is very nearby, but that is a "maybe" not a "real" goal for 2010. In 2010 I just want to finish the sprints. WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about a stone (14lbs) mostly so I can have less impact on my knee. That would make me as light as I've ever been. Christmas cookies aren't helping. Thanks for mentoring! I was hoping to find another working mother.sorry - I can't seem to format this.

Edited by mhoerger 2009-12-14 3:22 PM
2009-12-14 3:24 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Hi Molly, I would love to join this mentor group.

NAME:  Claire

Story:  I've been a runner early on in my life.  I participated in track and cross-country during my high school years.  I went to college, became a registered nurse, married, and than had two beautiful kids.  Needless to say exercise took a backseat.  Over the years I've always tried to stay active but never really committed.  My twin sister got into triathlons over 5 years ago and has since been a huge inspiration to me.  She, like many started with sprint tris, than did Olys, than HIM.  This past August, my sis did the Louisville ironman and kicked major butt.  I was so impressed and inspired by her accomplishment.  I started to get the "tri fever".  My only set back was the swim.  During my childhood, I acquired so many ear infections that my ear doctor said it was best that I didn't do a lot of swimming.  I haven't swam in over 30 years!!  My current ear doctor said it was o.k. to swim as long as I get an anual ear check up.  So, here I am, 40years old and a swimming newbie.  I've been swimming for the past 2 months and progressing o.k.  I need a lot of practice, so I've been in the pool 3-4x a week.      I'm looking foward to the advice and motivation.  Thanks. Hope you'll have me.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with two kids age 9 and 5.

2009 races:  Completed half marathon last May, Participated in a duathlon last August, Ran three 5ks, and two 10ks over the summer.

2010 races:  Carmel Sprint tri in April, 500 festival mini-marathon in May, Monumental marathon in November.  Want to squeeze a couple of sprint tris during the 2010 summer.

Current training:  Swim, swim, swim.  I mix up the week with spinning 2x/week, and running 2x/week.

2009-12-14 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Utah
NAME: Amy E.STORY: Aside from a triathlete, I am a mother of two children, a wife and apart-time registered nurse. I was an age group swimmer form the age of 6 until about 13, took a couple years off due to swimmer's shoulder, then got back into swimming on the high school team for a couple years before I switched over to springboard diving. Fast forward years and years, and I have 2 kids, ages 13 and 7, and I have gotten waaayyy to sedentary. Two years ago a good friend of mine, my off/on workout buddy, suggested we train for and do triathlons. I jumped, did one sprint that first season, then this past summer (second season of tri), I did a 62-mile bike ride for cancer research, my first half marathon, and 2 sprint tris. I also volunteered on race crew for the local tri club's annual sprint tri, and helped a friend out with a new 5k race she started this fall. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two children 13 and 7.CURRENT TRAINING: I tend to set a plan, then decide to go with a different plan, then another one, then...you get the idea. Mishmash. December is hardest for me, my son is out of school for the entire month, and it's too cold outside to drag him along on a run or bike. I start my half marathon training in a few weeks, and I have been toying with the idea of doing p90x. 2010 RACES: I am planning on the Slat Lake Half Marathon in April, then the Women of Steel in April, 100-mile bike in June, then another sprint or two in August and September. I hope to do my first open-water tri this year as well. )I have a hard time with open water...) WEIGHTLOSS: I never had to worry about weight. That is until after my second child. My lifestyle was much les activity focused, and I switched to a primarily desk job for a while in that same time frame. Weight has always been an isue for everyone in my family, but never for me. However, I have found myself gaining weight this summer despite training. I am currently up to 142 pounds on my 5 foot 3 inch frame. Hopefully getting back into the swing of training will change that. I'd love to be a part of this group. It sounds like we all have similar issues and many of us are around the same experience level.
2009-12-14 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
NAME: Jen

STORY:  I'm a former competitive swimmer (from 7 through college), and ran cross country in high school (eons ago now!).   I'm a stay at home mom with the kids, and once our little guy gets into Kindergarten next September, I'll be back in the job market. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys - 6 & 4

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 3x/week, swimming 1 x/week, weights/bands 1 day and core/abs (with my Wii fit) on a day.  I'm hoping to get a bike trainer for Christmas, so then I can incorporate biking into my training.  I'd also like to start swimming more than 1 day/week after the first of the year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did my first sprint tri in September, and I'm ready for more!

2010 RACES: Planning on doing at least 4 sprint tri's this year, and maybe an Olympic, if I can find a good one not too far from home.

WEIGHTLOSS: After having my kids, my weight went up and down, and I never seemed to find the time to exercise and take care of me.  I'd finally had enough last January, and so I started weight watchers seriously, vowed to take off 35 pounds and keep it off.  I had the weight off by May, hit my lifetime goal (for WW) in July and so far, have kept it off.  In taking off the weight, I got in shape to do my first tri!  Still attending weight watchers 1-2x/month to weigh in and keep committed to staying at my goal weight.   I'm 5'5" and I'm currently around 142.  I may readjust my goal down a few pounds, but I'll re-evaluate after the holidays! 

Edited by jenmel 2009-12-14 3:52 PM
2009-12-14 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like we have a great group so far. We'll probably add 2-3 more and then I will close the group.
2009-12-14 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Name: Wes

Story:  I joined a mentor group last winter and it was great motivation and would like to do so again.  I played baseball, basketball and football growing up and was lucky enough to play baseball in college and one year in the minors.  I came into the tri sport with no background of swimming, running or biking, but trying to get them down

Family:  I'm a 36 yr old Dad of two girls (12 and 7) and have been married for 15 years.

This year: Completed two sprint tris; 100 mile bike ride; Marathon relay; and Half-Marathon.  <--- SLOW in all events

2010:  I plan on running another half-marathon, completing an Olympic tri and riding the 100 mile bike ride again.  Will probably do another sprint or two as well. 

Weightloss:  I'm 6'2" and 230lbs -- down from 255 at the start of last year.  I haven't been as focused as I should on weight loss (I like to eat!).  I would like to be in the 210's by the end of the year. 

2009-12-14 5:24 PM

User image

Toronto
Hi Molly, I have never done this before and I am not sure what the process is. I am a runner (short distance) I like the fact that you have a lot going on as I am busy and finding time and motivation is my greatest challenge. I am in Toronto, Ontario Canada where there is lots of cold during the winter. I am a recreational runner, own a mountain bike (looking for a road bike) I am not keen on swimming so I am looking at a duathlon in the spring summer and maybe a try-a tri. I have a friend who is doing ironman and she has gotten me all curious to try this. I would love to join the group!
Tania

Edited by striving 2009-12-14 5:32 PM

2009-12-14 5:43 PM

New user

NAME: Jon St John (aka [email protected])

STORY: I am an officer in the US Army stationed at Ft Hunter- Liggett, CA (22 miles west of King City, CA)(Central Coast). I started training for triathlons last September to lose weight and find workouts that would keep me motivated to keep the weight off.  I completed my first sprint tri in Oct 08 at the Scott Tinley races.  In 2009 I completed 4 sprint races.  I am now training for my first olympic race in May 2010 at Wildflower.  I love the workouts, and every time I complete a workout I feel that I have accomplished something, and the plus is that it is keeping me in shape and Im losing weight.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with 6 children.  Ages 12- 1 year. 3 boys and 3 girls.

BEING PART OF A MENTOR PROGRAM: I want to be able to talk to people that are going throught the same thing that I am.  Here there stories how they get through certain workouts.  Maybe get some advice on what I need to do to get faster and stronger at the events.
2009-12-14 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Molly-
  Hi, I see that you said you would accept 2 or 3 more, I think I would be the forth. Is there room for me? Thanks.

-Elayna
2009-12-14 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2558663

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
zachkoe - 2009-12-14 3:59 PM

Molly-
  Hi, I see that you said you would accept 2 or 3 more, I think I would be the forth. Is there room for me? Thanks.

-Elayna

Elayna:

You'll be the last one...go ahead and post your information please.

Molly
2009-12-14 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED)
Thank you Molly!
NAME: Elayna Zachko [email protected]

STORY: I am a science teacher, soccer and lacrosse coach in Maine. I coach soccer year round which makes it tough to coach soccer, teach, coach lacrosse, and be a mom at the same time. My background is in soccer, been playing since I was 5. I am a goalie and so its always been about strength and not so much the ability to run or endurance in the running sense. After 5 knee surgeries and being pregnant with my daughter I was searching for new ways to get in shape, soccer is tough because it takes time away from my daughter. I saw a try a tri at a YMCA and told my boyfriend I was going to try it. He didn't believe me and made it clear he didn't think I would do it. I did it and absolutely loved it. That was last year and I did 2 sprint tris afterward. I've real found a love for running and did 7 road races this year (1 10K, 1 4miler and the rest 5Ks). One of the reasons I've fallen in love with triathlons is the community, very competitive but still extremely supportive. You don't really see that in soccer, its competitive but I wouldn't call it supportive.

FAMILY STATUS: Not married but been dating someone for 9.5yrs, 1 daughter 18months old.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 5 days a week right now to give my knee a bit of a break. I am planning to start training again in January (typically go 6-7days a week). I have no meniscus in the lateral part of my right knee so I am trying to balance training with the fact that the dr told me that I should find a new sport.. to which I replied, not happening. I love running and swimming, biking is the tough one for me. Not sure why. My goals this year is to just keep getting faster. I started in May with a 5K race of a low 9min/mi and now I am down to a 7:45/mi. I'd like to get to low 7s. Most importantly is speed up on the bike, I am pretty terrible in that event.

2010 RACES: I haven't signed up for anything yet.  I am planning to do 3 sprint tris this year and many road races. Though, I am going to try snowshoe racing this winter just for the fun of it.

WEIGHTLOSS: I was 147 before my daughter was born and since then I dropped down to 131. I'd like to go down to 125 and really just firm up.... and maintain

excited to get started!!
2009-12-14 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
All right everyone. I have closed the group and here's who we have:

ptri - Pamela

achrispeels - Arno

MechEChick - Christina

blockertri - Amanda

raveon - David

idealgirlie - Teisha

mhoerger - Maggie

cggale - Claire

givemashot - Amy E.

jenmel - Jen

wkirbytri - Wes

striving - Tania

jon.stjohn - Jon

zachkoe - Elayna

Welcome everyone!! This is going to be such a fun journey for everyone as we have many different levels and experiences in this group. With that said, please remember that none of us (at least for now) are professional athletes. This forum should be fun and an open place to answer questions, generate ideas and create discussions as much as possible. No question is too silly or basic to raise and if you are thinking about it chances are someone else is too. Please remember I am not a coach or trainer by any stretch and what I say may be different than 100 other athletes. I can tell you my experience, my preferences and opinions, but honestly, triathlon is an individual sport and my perspective comes from what works for me. Consider everyone's input, but in the end, go with what works for you.

Also, please don't be too sensitive if I or someone else questions something you are doing. This is where you will learn the most and even learning to ignore someone else's advice is a learning experience. Aside from having fun and learning, our goals should also be to encourage each other. Use the inspires in each other's training logs to give positive feedback and constructive comments.

This leads me to the first group of goals for the group in the next day or two, please try to do the following:

1. Add each other to your BT friends list. This is done by going to the control panel --> edit training settings --> friends. Enter each person in the group and you will have instant access to their blogs. That way you can check in and encourage each other on a regular basis. To inspire someone just go to their log and click on inspire and type in your message. If someone else has left you a message and you want to reply, hit the blog button on their message it will take you to their blog with the initial message. Don't hit reply as it will just reply in your own blog.

2. Start logging your training time from tomorrow and going forward in your blog. The logs are really important to me to help give you some personal guidance, but they are also impressive when you start comparing week to week, month to month and year to year. The logs will also help us with inspires. Also, for those of you interested in weight loss, start recording your weight (if you want) in your logs.

3. Update your blogs with your goals for all to see. Go to Quick Links Square Box --> click on Goals --> update and don't forget to hit the apply button at the bottom.

Thanks everyone so much for signing up for this group. We are going to have a great season and hopefully, when we are done, everyone will have accomplished their goals.

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2009-12-14 6:38 PM

2009-12-15 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I think I am missing something here, where is the quick links box? I am sure its right in front of me adn I can't see it. Thanks
2009-12-15 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry everyone. Bad instructions on the goals portion - I'm working on it and should have it figured out in a few minutes. If anyone else gets it before I can post, please share the instructions.
2009-12-15 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Goals can be added at the top of your blog in the training blog customization, dashboard part. I still haven't figured out the fonts and stuff.
2009-12-15 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Happy Tuesday morning everyone. It is a chilly morning here in Vegas at 37 degrees. I was planning to break our discussions down into topics for each week and try to post a couple of articles and/or links for each topic. Of course, everything is open for discussion and please post questions and thoughts on any topic, but I was thinking that keeping a theme going may answer questions that people maybe don't want to ask or don't know to ask. Let me know if there are specific topics you would like to focus on and I will be happy to post some of the research or information. Happy training!

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2009-12-15 9:01 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 13