BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-12-14 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water!

NAME: ultrahip_00  - Mike

STORY: I am a 23 year old who has been doing triathlons for about 2.5 years.  I graduated college in May 2008, and work as a Sales Engineer in the Seattle Area.  I am from Idaho, and went to school out there.  I got started in Tri's by living with a guy who was doing IM-CDA while I was doing an internship and I decided to give it a shot!  My parents have always been active w/biking and backpacking and stuff, so it wasn't too far of a stretch for me to get started.  I signed up for my first triathlon and completed it about 2 months after i started training!  Since then, i have done a bunch of races, including 3 OLY's, 2 HIM's, 3 1/2 marathons and 1 marathon. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single 

CURRENT TRAINING: This year was the first year I worked with a coach.  I was coached from about April - August, and that took me through the two HIM's.  After doing Lake Steven's 70.3, I got off the wagon for about a month, and then decided to pic my running back up.  I started training for Seattle Marathon, and completed that on 11/29.  It was my first marathon!

2010 RACES:  I am still getting this all figured out.  I have a couple short term goals, that i will be shooting for in spring 2010:  Sub 1:25 half marathon  and sub 3:10 marathon.  I will likely do a handful of sprints and OLY's this summer, and probably one half ironman.  

WEIGHTLOSS: During my first couple years, i have lost about 20 lbs - that would be weight gained in college via beer and food   I didn't focus on weight loss too much, just tried to eat healthy and workout!. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been in the sport long enough to get an idea about training and how everything works.  While I am not an expert and I have more to learn, I have raced a variety of distances and have had pretty good results.  I like to have fun with my training and love helping others and providing feedback and ideas.  I also love to get new ideas from others! 
I think those with some experiance and looking to excel at a distance or move up to the next distance would be the best for my experiences, although first timers are great to!  This is my second go around at a mentor group, and I am hoping to have even more fun and meet more fun people this time! 

Oh, and I love to drink beer, so hopefully you do too!!! 

Edited by ultrahip_00 2009-12-19 9:59 AM

2009-12-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2559033

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - OPEN!
Ok Everybody, lets get rolling with this! 
2009-12-17 3:42 PM

User image

Las Vegas
34 Married
Living in Las Vegas area
2009 was my first tri season.
Races for 2010: Rage in Vegas HIM
Still looking to firm up other dates. Possibly Lake Stevens 70.3

Interested in joining this group.
2009-12-17 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Welcome!  How are things down in Vegas?  

As people reply, go ahead and copy/paste the section that I typed up and reply w/your info!
2009-12-17 6:37 PM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
Dude! I didn't know you were leading a mentor group.  Count me in!

NAME: Evan Thilo / ethilo. 23 years old, 6'2" 175lb, Seattle, WA.

STORY:
just graduated from the University of Washington in June and started triathlon training in July.  Used to play ultimate frisbee, a LOT.  I saw my brother do a sprint tri 2 years ago while I was in college and I kept it in the back of my mind as a goal in the future.  Started on BT back in July 2009 and completed the same sprint tri that my brother did a month later.  After completing it, I fell in love with multisport and vowed to work towards a full IM.

My background is running, as a kid I would always gauge my personal health by my mile-time.  If I couldn't run faster than a 7:00 mile, then I would start exercising until I could run a 6:20, then stop.  Never considered distance running, and never imagined I'd ever be able to run faster than a 6:00 mile. (PR 5:55 earlier this summer)

I am taking a year off from school and am currently interviewing to start medical school in fall of 2010.  In the meantime, triathlon training is my focus outside of my dayjob - I work in the ER as a medical scribe with sporadic hours.  My training happens at all hours of the day.

FAMILY STATUS:

Single, 1 brother, 1 sister, living at home with my mom, father lives 10 mins away.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I just did my first marathon on Nov 27th, the Seattle Marathon.  That was 'run-focus' and now that it's winter, I decided to switch to 'swim-focus.'  When spring comes around, I want to switch to 'bike-focus.'

LAST SEASON'S RACES:
2 sprint tris and finished my first full-mary

GOALS:
distance + speed in swimming
speed in running
hill climb in biking

HOW I CAN CONTRIBUTE TO THE GROUP:
*One of my favorite parts about triathlon is the nutrition aspect.  Biochemistry/Organic chemistry is probably my strongest area in education.  I majored in Neurobiology at the UW and have spent a lot of my extracurricular time reading/studying nutrition and the biochemistry behind my nutrition.
*Personal experience in weight loss includes 20lbs from nutrition shift only (over the last year before triathlon training, BEFORE starting any regular exercise program).
*Excitement/Motivation!
2009-12-17 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Evan - What's up man!?  I did this during the spring/summer too, it is fun.  welcome aboard!

What do you have on tap for the near future?  There is a 1/2 marathon on 1/16 up in Mt Vernon that I think me and some friends are doing. . you should shoot for 1:30 - 1:35!

Edited by ultrahip_00 2009-12-17 7:04 PM

2009-12-17 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
This looks like a good group to join!

I'm Stuart.
I live in Brisbane, Australia. (It's Summer now and about 30 degrees celcius).

I turn 20 this coming Sunday. I live at home and I'm currently studying exercise science at university. Hopefully I can contribute something relating to training/exercise in general.

This is my third summer doing triathlons. I did my first Olympic last season, and a couple of sprints. I had a sprint tri race last weekend and PR'd with 1:18:15. I'm gunning for a 1:15:xx in another sprint in April. Next year I'm also planning on doing a marathon and maybe a HIM.

I want to be in a mentor group because I need to be held accountable to something/someone to push me. That's why I like doing the BT challenges.

Beer is good I look forward to the next few months.
2009-12-17 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Welcome Stuart!  I envy you, for being in Australia, that is one place I would really like to go.  Sounds like a pretty smokin' time for a sprint, what where the distances (sprints can vary, it seems). 

Are you doing an OLY before a HIM?  You will have fun building up volume a little bit and WE WILL HOLD YOU ACCOUNTABLE!
2009-12-18 1:29 AM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
glad to have you aboard, it looks like this is shaping up to be a well-focused group.  I'm happy to follow you along!

As much as I ALSO envy you for being in Australia, I think us Seattlites have every right to be envied as well
2009-12-18 1:30 AM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
I, also, am a huge fan of beer.
2009-12-18 4:32 PM

Salt Lake City, UT

NAME: Mike

STORY: I'm 28 and have been living in Salt Lake City, UT for the past year and a half. Before that I was living in California, where it is much, much warmer. I've never done a tri before, but always wanted to and 2010 seems like the right year for me. I've spent the last couple of years focusing a lot on lifting because I wanted more size...but lately I've felt unfulfilled with just lifting. I've always enjoy running and feel most comfortable with that element of the race, so the biking and swimming is where I need the most work.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, with a dog 

CURRENT TRAINING: Totally new to this, but starting to pulling away from weights and run regularly again. Looking to start spinning classes to ease into biking, and researching local pools to start swimming.

2010 RACES:  Still figuring that out, but I think I want to start by doing a handful of sprint races this year and maybe a longer one in the fall. I'd like to travel around the West coast and do some tris in a few different states, so if anyone wants to hit up some races together, lemme know.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm sure I will drop weight like crazy when I really get into training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I'm a dedicated guy and willing to help out where I can and can help keep folks on track. Also, if anyone plans to do a race in Utah, mi casa es su casa.

2009-12-18 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

NAME: Christina

STORY: I'm 23 and I did my first triathlon in October. I'm a Mechanical Engineer in Glenwood Springs, CO (Western Colorado) and moved here from the Denver area after college a year and half ago. I got into Tri's this past summer by doing two on a relay team, once as a runner and once as a swimmer. I swam and ran in high school and got lazy in college (there were better things to do!). But moving up here got me more into outdoor sports and being super active. When I signed on as the swimmer for a team for the local Tri I looked at the swimming times from previous years and realized I could actually do decently well, that motivated me to actually start into triathlons. I completed my first sprint in October.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm just trying to stay in decent shape until my HIM training starts in January. And trying to figure out how I will balance training now that it's ski season. Turns out getting in workouts on a powder day is pretty difficult...

2009 RACES: I did my first 10k in May in Boulder, my first half marathon in August and my first sprint Tri in October. A couple other races in there too I think.

2010 RACES: As of now I'm planning on doing the Kansas 70.3 in early June to leave my summer open for other sports. I'll probably also do the Leadville Sprint Tri, our local tri (between Sprint and Oly distance), and maybe a half marathon or do one of the big running relay races with some friends.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 10 pounds since July 4th, and am slowly moving down still. Same thing for me... working out all the college weight by simply eating better and actually working out.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I'm excited about triathlons and enthusiastic about seeing others succeed.

2009-12-18 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2567756

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
MikeyLikesIt_81 - 2009-12-18 2:32 PM

NAME: Mike

STORY: I'm 28 and have been living in Salt Lake City, UT for the past year and a half. Before that I was living in California, where it is much, much warmer. I've never done a tri before, but always wanted to and 2010 seems like the right year for me. I've spent the last couple of years focusing a lot on lifting because I wanted more size...but lately I've felt unfulfilled with just lifting. I've always enjoy running and feel most comfortable with that element of the race, so the biking and swimming is where I need the most work.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, with a dog 

CURRENT TRAINING: Totally new to this, but starting to pulling away from weights and run regularly again. Looking to start spinning classes to ease into biking, and researching local pools to start swimming.

2010 RACES:  Still figuring that out, but I think I want to start by doing a handful of sprint races this year and maybe a longer one in the fall. I'd like to travel around the West coast and do some tris in a few different states, so if anyone wants to hit up some races together, lemme know.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm sure I will drop weight like crazy when I really get into training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I'm a dedicated guy and willing to help out where I can and can help keep folks on track. Also, if anyone plans to do a race in Utah, mi casa es su casa.

In my own experience, switching to tris from lifting will take off all that mass you may have put on.  You'll be a lot leaner, look more cut, but I feel it'd be tough to build if you start to include all the cardio of triathlon training.

Nonetheless, I've seen some very muscley guys out there competing in tris, so all the power to ya, cuz!

Edited by ethilo 2009-12-18 9:03 PM
2009-12-18 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2567756

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem

Hey, if you're looking for something in the NW, I would highly recommend the Benaroya Seafair sprint tri (my first tri) in Seattle, WA.  1600 participants this last summer and there are probably going to be more this next year.  They are very well sponsored, the T-shirt is high quality, and cheap in retrospect!  It's an excellent course, right in the middle of Seafair celebration (Blue angels flying overhead, hydroplane races, drunken debauchery).
2009-12-18 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2568105

Salt Lake City, UT

In my own experience, switching to tris from lifting will take off all that mass you may have put on.  You'll be a lot leaner, look more cut, but I feel it'd be tough to build if you start to include all the cardio of triathlon training.

Nonetheless, I've seen some very muscley guys out there competing in tris, so all the power to ya, cuz!Ya, I have a pretty lean build naturally and it took a lot of food and lifting to put on size...but I'm at a point where I want to train to compete, so I'm willing to give up some of the t-shirt muscles. What kind of weight training do ya'll do with your run/bike/swim training?
2009-12-18 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2568109

Salt Lake City, UT
ethilo - 2009-12-18 8:08 PM

Hey, if you're looking for something in the NW, I would highly recommend the Benaroya Seafair sprint tri (my first tri) in Seattle, WA.  1600 participants this last summer and there are probably going to be more this next year.  They are very well sponsored, the T-shirt is high quality, and cheap in retrospect!  It's an excellent course, right in the middle of Seafair celebration (Blue angels flying overhead, hydroplane races, drunken debauchery).
Sounds like a good first race. Ill have to check it out. Thanks man!

2009-12-18 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Count me in!!!

NAME: Jennifer

STORY: I'm 25 living in Thornton, CO (North Denver) working as a project engineer in at plastic injection molding company outside of Longmont. Graduated in May with a BS in Mechanical & Industrial Engineering from University of TN-Martin. Just moved to CO in July from TN, originally from the St Louis area. Did a 1 mile "run" and a 5K in October, and just completed the Colder Boulder 5K this month. I don't run, just fast walking and for fun

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with a dog (Sahara)

CURRENT TRAINING: Hitting the gym. Cycling class and some strength training. Was going for walks on the weekends before it got really cold. Took

2010 RACES:  TBD-Bolder Boulder 10K, try a couple tris, and a long cycling event

WEIGHTLOSS: Looking to loose some lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: Ready to Roll!!!

2009-12-19 2:14 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Mike - Welcome!  I think you will find the back round in running to be very helpful, it is fun to get off the bike and have a 'leg up' knowing you can pass a bunch of people on the run!  When i started, swimming was definitly my weakness, as I essentially couldn't swim. 

Christina - Welcome to the group and to BT!  I am jealous that you live in CO - I'm sure you have some awesome powder these days.  I ski quite a bit, i actually just got home from night skiing!  I actually studied Mech Engineering in college too.  Any reason in particular for Kansas 70.3?  I have heard pretty good things about it.

Jennifer - welcome to the group!  I see you have listed 'I don't run'. . .we can change that Boulder to boulder is supposed to be a fun race. 

It looks like we are getting a good, young group together!  This should be fun!! what is everyone's plans for the weekend?  Mine are still up in the air - probably run tomorrow, and get my x-mas shopping started/finished. . and sunday, depending on weather - either go skiing or run a '12k's of Kirkland' race. . one of my friends is running it and was talking about throwing down a fast time, so we will see

One other thing - I encourage everyone (if not doing so already) to use the logs in BT to log your workouts.  that will give us all a place to start from, as far as helping each other out, plus I find it hugely motivating to look at the calender and look at my totals.  I actually started logging pretty much when i started this training stuff about 2.5 years ago! 

Edited by ultrahip_00 2009-12-19 2:17 AM
2009-12-19 2:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

hey everyone!

NAME: Dave

STORY: I'm 20 and I live in Maryland and go to the University of Maryland for Civil Engineering.  I did my first triathlon last August and 5k in September. I'm looking to improve and learn a little bit more about the sport.

CURRENT TRAINING: Recently I got a bit lazy because of finals but my goal for the winter is to improve my swimming and running and try to maintain my biking; I'm looking to buy a trainer but i'm not sure where to star.

2010 RACES:  I want to do 3 Triathlons and a half-marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm actually looking to gain a few pounds, i did some endurance lifting over the last semester.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I love Triathlons! (and drinking beer).

2009-12-19 3:46 AM

Veteran
Las Vegas
NAME: Jeff

STORY: I'm 24 year old currently serving in the United States Air Force. My job is Airfield Management which provides for long work days of 12 to 14 hrs. anywhere from 5 to 6 days a week. I'm currently deployed to Iraq serving my first tour. I got into triathlons in 2006 after watching the 2005 Ironman Hawaii coverage. and coming from a high school swimming backround and a joy for cycling i decided it was the sport for me. the last couple of years i haven't been able to race a whole lot due to my work schedule and constant moves across 3 different contitnites. but this year is should provide me the oppertunity to get back to training and racing.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am starting the 8 week balanced sprint lifestyle program on here as my time is limited between work, school, and training.

2010 RACES: my plan is too do two sprints two oly's leading up to the sliverman half tri next November

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm working on cutting the 20lbs I've gained in the past 4 months due to the stress of being deployed. currently I'm 6ft and 195 lbs hoping to get down to 175lbs maybe even less.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I have constantly been reading and absorbing the information i learned over the past three years. and if i don't have the answer i have a bookshelf full of tris books to search for the answer. and i believe beer is the most underrated training aid.

2009-12-19 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Do you have room for another?

Name:  baldbuyer (Lance), but as my hairline recedes, I have taken to buzzing it down to nothing

Family Status:  Married with one boy, ten years old

Job:  Buyer for a sporting goods chain (hence the "baldbuyer")

Story:  Just finished my first season of triathlons after several years of inactivity.  I started running in back half of 2008 to get in shape for indoor soccer and it took off from there.  Ended up doing the Denver half-marathon after several 5k and 10k runs and then moved into Tri's from there.  I competed and completed The Boulder Peak (oly), The Rattlesnake (oly), and the Rev3 (HIM) in CT last season.  I am not necessarily fast in any of the 3 events, but I am pretty consistent.  Now I am looking to improve my cycling....really to be stronger when I hit the run.

2010 Races:  I intend to repeat both of Oly races in 2010, as well as the Boulder sprint, the IM70.3 Boulder, and I will be attempting my first Ironman in AZ next November, so that will be interesting to say the least

Weight Loss:  About 50lbs since the beginning.  Haven't looked lately, but I made it down to 181 before the end of the season this year.  Looking to be somewhere between 175-180 by the end of 2010 events.

Current training:  Just maintaining a base right now, with a focus on putting more time on the indoor trainer on the bike.  I have had issues with muscle fatigue on the bike, which then is leading to cramping on the run (which then pretty much ruins my run times).  I have run 10k's at a sub 9 minutes and the Denver half at 9:48 clip, but after doing this year's events at significantly slower times, I have been reading up on what to do, so now I am putting in a lot more time on the bike, so hopefully that will help.  Once January rolls around, I will start balancing it out more and get back to the pool, but right now it's all about the bike and strength training
What makes me a good mentee:  I will be needing plenty of advice on nutrition, but may be able to bring a few things to the table as well for those looking to attempt the longer distances

2009-12-19 9:39 AM

Lexington, KY
Any more room Mike? I think I'd make the third Mike.
2009-12-19 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2568377

Salt Lake City, UT
baldbuyer - 2009-12-19 6:44 AM
Job:  Buyer for a sporting goods chain (hence the "baldbuyer")

Hey Lance! Which sporting goods chain do you buy for? I'm a merchandise planner for Macy's and VERY interested in working for a company that is more sports-minded. I've been looking at a lot of places in LA that are surf/skate/snow based.
2009-12-19 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Welcome Dave, Jeff and Mike!  And of course, there can never been too many Mike's, it is, after all, one of the best names  .  Ok, so this is a list of everyone so far:

ultrahip_00 - Mike
bjb92550 - What is your name?
ethilo - Evan
stuart_little_9 - Stuart
MikeyLikesIt_81 - Mike
MechEChick - Christina
jenni4 - Jennifer
dmiller5 - Dave
pilotncommand172 - Jeff
baldbuyer - Lance
eatmyfannypac - What is your name?

Ok! I think we have a great group put together.  It sounds like we have a variety of experiance with distances and the different sports, which I think will be very handy in helping each other out! 
2009-12-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2568135

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
jenni4 - 2009-12-18 8:30 PM

2010 RACES:  TBD-Bolder Boulder 10K, try a couple tris, and a long cycling event

Jennifer - You should definitely do the Bolder Boulder.  I did it last year and it was great.  Tons of people.  What cycling event are you looking at?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED - Let's hit the road/water! Rss Feed  

of 15