Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Question regarding TriBC membership Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-13 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Question regarding TriBC membership
Looking at TriBC's membership application, I see that they have a nice waiver that releases them of any responsibility for anything that happens, even if they were negligent.

Since I haven't even done a triathlon yet, so I don't even know the number of way things could get screwed up, but is this normal/reasonable?

Or is it a case of "take it or leave it"?

2010-01-13 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2612142

Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Question regarding TriBC membership
I'm not a lawyer, but there is a difference between negligence and gross negligence.

Negligence might be a piece of a bike rack was left on the ground, and someone tripped over it.

Gross negligence might be the person responsible for directing traffic left their station causing a car to crash into a cyclist.

Even if a waiver states you cannot sue them, you can as long as you can prove gross negligence. They still have a responsibility to do their best to keep you safe, a piece of paper does not remove that obligation.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Gross+negligence

Edited by meepx2 2010-01-13 4:04 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Question regarding TriBC membership Rss Feed