United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 4s
Overall Rank = 25/27
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Event warmup:

Rode bike from our campsite to the site....
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Scroll down for the beginning!
Bike
  • 1h 52m 10s
  • 30 miles
  • 16.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Lessons learned:

First lesson to myself: make sure I know more about who is putting on the event. My two triathlons were like parks-and-recreation type events. But this duathlon, concurrent with the triathlon on the same date/at the same place was put on by an organization called "Triwest," and their events are "ranked." (Much more competitive than parks-and-recreation!) So there were rules that I should have read, but didn't--until after the event. Plus, there were "course marshals!" Eek!

Second: now I know what is legally considered "drafting" in the bike leg of a race, but I didn't on the 12th. There was an announcer going over all this stuff, but I missed a lot of it due to trying to figure out where to pick up race packets, get body marked, find our spot in transition--it didn't help that we were running a little on the late side. However, it was not yet 9 a.m.--the time that packet pick up was supposed to close-- the event was to start at 9:30--so I don't know why all this important stuff was being announced at 8:45 a.m. I heard about not passing a cyclist on the right, which is a no-brainer to me, but I missed the instructions about drafiting. My hubby heard it, but, of course, he didn't mention it to me.

All of us cyclists (31 total) got our bikes ready to go at 9 a.m., but had to wait until the triathlon competitors started coming into transition from the swim. Then we were allowed to begin in sets of two. My hubby took off in front of me. The first mile or so were in the state park (Millersylvania), then we were out on the road heading south. I was following my hubby like when we normally ride and getting into the rhythm, when suddenly I heard a voice over a loudspeaker and saw a motorcycle coming up on my left. The voice had to repeat itself because at first it didn't register...the man was saying my race number, "Number 509..." What??? So I glanced over at him and he told me something about drafting and 15 seconds, and that I had to be three bike lengths behind the rider in front. "Oh, sorry," I answered (but I have no idea if he really heard me!) and immediately dropped my pace to put more distance between myself and my hubby. Grrr. Then, it couldn't have been more than a couple minutes or so, when I heard a POW! My hubby slowed, and his back tire was plainly flat. He pulled off to the side, and I muttered something like "rats, the back tire," and continued on. Bummer. Well, at least I didn't have to worry about accidentally drafting behind my hubby, but now I was extremely worried that I was going to get a flat next.

The course hit some turns here and there, and I began to be passed by one rider after another. Finally, I passed someone myself. Then we came out onto more of a major road and crossed over I-5. Passed my 2nd and last rider. (Later when reading the rules, I found out that you have be careful about drafiting when passing someone, too. I know I passed as quickly as I could, though, and each time I used quite a bit of energy.) After heading north for 5+ miles, the course headed right and became a little winding. I had heard about a big hill at around mile 21. And as advertised, it was steep! I wasn't doing too well (breathing like a steam engine), so about half-way up, I turned my front wheel toward the shoulder, unclipped and hopped off. Walked the rest of the hill and remounted. Then there was a downgrade where the speed on my bike computer read 33-something mph!!!

After that big hill, the course was pretty flat, except for an upgrade heading east after re-crossing I-5 that wasn't too steep but slowed me down just because I was tired. Finally, back into the park, and tried to smile for the photographer!
What would you do differently?:

Third lesson: When training, my husband and I stopped too many times during our rides to drink or eat, etc. Also, it's hard on a trail, such as the Centennial Trail, not to have to slow down for something such as an intersection or gate or people blocking the trail, etc. Even on our 50 mile Tour de Whatcom ride, we stopped at the rest stops for refreshments about every 12.5 miles. So to ride 30 miles straight was a little different! If I were to train for this event again, I would try to do longer, more continuous training rides.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

I was eating Clif Shot Bloks and sipping water from my Camelbak during the ride, but after getting back and going into transition, I couldn't resist a sip from my water bottle. The bike racks for the duathlon competitors was at the far end near the start of the bike leg, so that meant you had to travel quite a ways to get to the run start, as it was a fairly big area. Then I couldn't resist someone handing me a cup of water, so I ended up with a fairly long transition time!

Just move faster. Ha!
Run
  • 58m 55s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 13m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

It was supposed to be 5 miles, but it turned out to be only 4.3. Yay! (I didn't get quite the advertised 30 miles for the bike course, either. Forgot to look at my bike computer, but my Garmin only recorded a little over 29 miles.) The run was on trails through the forest, a little up and down in some areas, with some rough areas. I was totally bushed from the bike ride and every time I tried to pick up the pace, my breathing got kinda heavy. I felt best at just moving at a fast walk, and it seemed to suit the terrain anyway. I've done a little trail "running," but not enough to get very fast. I did watch out for roots and stuff, like I learned in trail running class back in July. My time was the slowest of the duathlon competitors, but a few people in the triathlon took over an hour!

Now back to poor hubby. He managed to get the tube changed in his tire and get back in the race. I actually saw him briefly on the trail on one of the loops. When I came out of the woods into the meadow again, I decided I could finally "put the pedal to the metal" with people watching and cheering. Also I heard feet pounding behind me, and I thought, "oh, no, can't let my hubby pass me at the last minute!" (But it wasn't my husband after all. Whoever it was though, I did not let that person pass me!) Approaching the finish line I heard my number and name called. Embarrassing!

Train more, duh!
Post race
Warm down:

Not long after I finished, I heard my friend (who did the triathlon) called, so I went to meet her and congratulate her. A few minutes later, I heard my husband's number and name called. So the three of us got together while drinking the water we had been handed at the finish, and then we went inside the cabin to get lunch. (It was so hot in there!)

Last updated: 2009-08-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/27
Performance:
Course: No run before the bike.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:52:10 | 30 miles | 16.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/27
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A big loop, first heading south from Millersylvania State Park, then west, crossing over I-5 and heading north, with a few loops, a terribly steep hill, then finally north again, then east across I-5, and back south to the park and through the park to the event site.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average