BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-05 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED

NAME: mchubri`/ Brian

STORY: Always the "husky" kid growing up, getting picked last in gym class, couldn't even do 1 pull-up.  Grew up in an Italian household where life revolved around food and huge meals and exercise was considered a walk down the block to the deli for a sandwich.  At 233lbs, I had enough and decided to turn my life around, learn how to eat “clean” and discovered exercise.  A few years later I fell in love with Triathlon and it changed my life.  I named my blog “The Permanent Quest” because that is what health and fitness is to me, a permanent quest to be healthy and to be in better shape today than I was yesterday, and for me Triathlon is the vehicle to get me there.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, going on 7 wonderful years with a very energetic 3 year old son who loves to tri around our living room (also daddy's biggest fan) and a beautiful 6 year old yellow lab who can out swim anyone on BT!

CURRENT TRAINING:
Training is important, but family is more important! Currently training between 7 - 9 hr per week, balanced S/B/R.  Following a 1/2 Marathon running plan through April 18th then transitioning to a 20 week HIM plan to take me through the remainder of the season.  Currently working with a masters swimming coach/group.  I recently learned to wake at 5am (and now I actually prefer it) to get my workouts in so I have family time in the evenings.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 1/2 Marathon (April), 2-Olympic Tri's (May & July), 1-Sprint (Aug) and 1-HIM (September)

2009 RACES:  Ran 3 sprint tri’s in 2009, a 10K and 5K. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Absolutely, weight is a constant battle for me and the primary reason I am here.  I began exercising to lose weight in 2005, started Triathlon to set goals and push me harder, and now I use Triathlon as my carrot on a stick.  I am very goal driven and if I have goals ahead of me I will work hard to get it done!  This year I am down 23lbs since Jan 1st and would like to drop 5 or so more, but my main challenge, and primary goal will be to keep it off, FOREVER! I have my work cut out for me.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am a sponge! when I become passionate about something I absorb anything and everything in sight. From reading books, magazines, using the internet, talking to people, whatever it may be, I obsess over it, just ask my wife!  The triathlon bug hit me last summer and I have gained a volume of knowledge on the subject.  More importantly, I love to talk to people about Triathlon, health, fitness S/B/R, diet, food, etc.  I enjoy meeting new people and believe there is strength in numbers.  I look forward to sharing what I have learned and learning from others. My goal as a mentor is to foster a group with open communication where we push ourselves to reach our goals, no matter what level we are at, Couch 2 5K, or Ironman.  There are no such thing as dumb questions!  We are all on a quest for knowledge and to be more fit today than we were yesterday.  I look forward to tri'ing with you!

Edited by mchubri` 2010-04-07 1:05 PM

2010-04-07 1:02 AM
in reply to: #2769357

Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - Open
Hi,

Want a total newbie?  Pick me! Pick me! I have only been on here awhile but I really enjoyed my winter mentor group and I promise to participate! 

NAME: swimfreak17/Ronda

STORY: Semi athletic growing up, HS swim team 4 yrs, as well as a year roud swim team, quit in college but unfortunately continued to eat like I did when I was swimming 3 hours a day 5-6 x  a week.  Needless to say, my metabolism could not keep up with that and I put on tons of weight.  I got interested in triathlons when I started swimming again last year after a 10 + year hiatus.  My best friend and I decided we needed to do at least one tri this year.  She came up pregnant last month so I'm on my own. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 13 yrs to my highschool boyfriend and I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter that keeps me going...after all she's doing a 1/2 mile mudrun when I do my 5k mudrun at the end of April.  I have 4 assorted cats, 1 poodle, and 1 rottweiler who sometimes reluctantly runs with me, and a horse. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
Still working out the kinks.  I wanted to s/b/r 3x a week but sometimes I just can't get it all in because not only do I work but I also have tae kwon do 2-3 x a week and I ride/jump  my horse 3-4 x a week, sometimes more during show season.  Between work, my family, and all my extracurriculars I'm still having trouble making it all work.  I have decided to forego horse showing this season to take some of the load off but I still have to ride.   I had never run before in my life so I did the cool runnings couch to 5k in the gym on the treadmill.  I finished the program and then tried to run outside and found out that it didn't quite carry over like I thought it would.  So, I am starting the BT aggressive couch to 5k and doing it all outside.  I am new to the bike as well and the first couple of weeks were rough but I am getting more comfortable each ride.  I am just using an old mountain bike but I hope to buy a roadbike in the next couple of months.  Swim wise, I am just using my gyms pool, but I'm looking for a masters in my area with compatible times because I love being coached and pushed and I feel like I am just putting in yards sometimes.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 5k mud run April 24, would like to schedule other 5ks at least once a month, Tinsel tri December

2009 RACES:  zip, zero, zilch

WEIGHTLOSS: Main reason I'm here.  Even though I have always been pretty active the things I have been doing for awhile like riding and tae kwon do, don't really take weight off.  I started swimming last year to help with this and realized I needed more, so triathlon training is hopefully my answer along with learning to eat better/cleaner and make better choices.  Plus I am finding when I have just come in from doing something, I feel good and am less likely to make a bad food choice and ruin all that hard work.  I have vowed not to weigh in though and go by how my clothes fit and how I feel as I get way hung up on numbers.  If I have a bad one, I'm more apt to say forget it and throw the towel in so no scales for me.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love my 'puter and am on it every night so I will participate!  I love constructive advice and I like feeling accountable.  I love filling out my logs and I feel that it helps keep me honest.  My goals aren't huge, a couple of 5ks and some sprint tri's where all I want to do is finish but hopefully they are attainable.  I also really like being part of a group and feeling like I have fellow friends along for this crazy ride.

2010-04-07 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
May I join the group?  Brian you sound like a good mentor for me as I was always the 'husky' kid too. 

NAME: n.k-- Nole

STORY: Growing up I played the usual sports like baseball, football, and soccer.  But by the time high school started I was more focused on music than sports and I pretty much stopped playing competitive sports.  I have always been a husky guy.  Upon moving to the pacific northwest four years ago I wanted to get active in action sports and began riding bikes both on the road and on the trails.  I've commuted by bike for the past four years, even through the snowy winters.  I've always wanted to get into endurance sports and now I'm finally taking the plunge. 

FAMILY STATUS: I've been very happily married for four and a half years.  My wife and I have a 15 month old son named Cash and we have a little girl due at the end of August. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I have been following the 16 week- 2x balanced Olympic plan religiously.  I am currently on week six of the plan, though I repeated the first two weeks of the plan when I first started my training.  So really I've been consistently training for 8 weeks now.  I try to do all my training in the early morning so that I don't have to sacrifice any time with my family.  This has been fine so far, but is starting pose a problem has my bike rides get longer and longer.  Getting a two a ride in before work starts can be a bit challenging when its still pitch black and snowing outside.  But I've made it work so far.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 5k fun run this Sunday, Pole Pedal Paddle (doing the biking and kayaking portions) in May, and Olypmic distance Tri in June (the main race I'm training for)

2009 RACES:  Did the biking and kayaking portions of the Pole Pedal Paddle

WEIGHTLOSS: My main motivation for doing triathlons is to give me a goal that keeps me active and hopefully helps me drop some lbs. Having a set plan I need to follow works really well for me.  I am currently overweight coming in at 245lbs and 5' 11".  I am hoping that training and competing in triathlons will help me shed some of that weight. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've been on the boards here at BT for the the past few weeks and have loved the info I've gotten from the forums.  I'll consistantly post within our group and my training logs.  I'm looking for a group of like minded people to help encourage and bounce ideas off each other.

Thanks!

2010-04-07 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2773002

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Welcome Ronda!  It will be good to have someone in here with some competitive swim background.  Swimming is the 1 aspect of triathlon that freaks people out the most, so I'm sure your background can help shed some light on the most technical aspect of our sport! 

Yong children, family, pets, work and outside interests make you the perfect candidate for this group!  Together we shall untangle this thing we call life and find some time to set some fitness & weighltoss goals and conquer!  Glad to have you! 

-B
2010-04-07 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2773395

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-07 9:43 AM May I join the group?  Brian you sound like a good mentor for me as I was always the 'husky' kid too. 

NAME: n.k-- Nole

STORY: Growing up I played the usual sports like baseball, football, and soccer.  But by the time high school started I was more focused on music than sports and I pretty much stopped playing competitive sports.  I have always been a husky guy.  Upon moving to the pacific northwest four years ago I wanted to get active in action sports and began riding bikes both on the road and on the trails.  I've commuted by bike for the past four years, even through the snowy winters.  I've always wanted to get into endurance sports and now I'm finally taking the plunge. 

FAMILY STATUS: I've been very happily married for four and a half years.  My wife and I have a 15 month old son named Cash and we have a little girl due at the end of August. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I have been following the 16 week- 2x balanced Olympic plan religiously.  I am currently on week six of the plan, though I repeated the first two weeks of the plan when I first started my training.  So really I've been consistently training for 8 weeks now.  I try to do all my training in the early morning so that I don't have to sacrifice any time with my family.  This has been fine so far, but is starting pose a problem has my bike rides get longer and longer.  Getting a two a ride in before work starts can be a bit challenging when its still pitch black and snowing outside.  But I've made it work so far.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 5k fun run this Sunday, Pole Pedal Paddle (doing the biking and kayaking portions) in May, and Olypmic distance Tri in June (the main race I'm training for)

2009 RACES:  Did the biking and kayaking portions of the Pole Pedal Paddle

WEIGHTLOSS: My main motivation for doing triathlons is to give me a goal that keeps me active and hopefully helps me drop some lbs. Having a set plan I need to follow works really well for me.  I am currently overweight coming in at 245lbs and 5' 11".  I am hoping that training and competing in triathlons will help me shed some of that weight. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've been on the boards here at BT for the the past few weeks and have loved the info I've gotten from the forums.  I'll consistantly post within our group and my training logs.  I'm looking for a group of like minded people to help encourage and bounce ideas off each other.

Thanks!

Husky kids UNITE!  Welcome Nole! 1st off, congrats on the new baby, fantastic news! Good thing your A race is scheduled before the arrival of your baby girl.  It sounds like you have some solid goals for this year and your training is on track. 

I hear you about geting the long workouts in in the AM, but as the days get longer it should get easier.  I curse the sun every morning I am ready to head out at 5:30am and it is no where to be found!

Unfortunatly I have become an expert at weightloss, So I hope to help you stay in track with your training and diet to shed the lbs.  Do you have a weightloss goal set yet?  I am a huge believer in setting goals and creating a plan to get there. I am currently 2lbs and 1.5 weeks away from my weightloss goal for the year, If I stay focused I should get there by next Sunday.  I will try to drop 5 more after that. 

Welcome aboard! 
2010-04-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2773479

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
mchubri` - 2010-04-07 7:06 AM
Unfortunatly I have become an expert at weightloss, So I hope to help you stay in track with your training and diet to shed the lbs.  Do you have a weightloss goal set yet?  I am a huge believer in setting goals and creating a plan to get there. I am currently 2lbs and 1.5 weeks away from my weightloss goal for the year, If I stay focused I should get there by next Sunday.  I will try to drop 5 more after that. 

Welcome aboard! 

Thanks for having me. 

I wouldn't say that I have set a specific weight loss goal yet.  If I were being honest, the reason is probably because I'm nervous I wont reach my goal.  While I'm confident in announcing that I'm going to train and complete an Oly tri, I feel equally un-confident that I'll be able to reach my weight loss goal.  So I've been hesitant to set a real goal.  But I agree that its probably a really important step if I'm going to be serious about losing the lbs. 

So, with that said, lets do it.  My weight loss goal is 45 lbs.  I want to weight in at an even 200.  I'm not sure of a time frame, any suggestions?

2010-04-07 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Well, I would keep in mind the arrival of your daughter.  You know what a loop a baby can throw you for.  I might suggest you use her birthday as your goal time frame and motivation!  Imagine her seeing her daddy for the 1st time a lean mean Triathlon machine!   End of August should give you a solid 20 weeks or so. The average male, in my experience (Please keep in mind I am no Dr., Nutritionist, Coach, etc.)  can expect to lose 1-2 lbs per week when dieting and excercising.  I might suggest using those parameters to set realistic, and reachable goals.  Everyone is different and the key to setting goals is to make your goals easy enough to attain, yet challenging enough to keep you focused.

As an example, I am 5'10" and started my weightloss journey at 233, over the course of time, I average about 1.2lbs per week when I'm on the wagon, and believe me, I fall off and when I fall, I fall hard!  So when I set my goals, that is what I use.
2010-04-07 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
If you're open to another relative newbie, I would love to join your group. 

NAME:  Kevin aka Cutlass454

STORY:  This is my 2nd year of doing triathlons.  2 years ago, I went and watched 2 of my very good friends do their 2nd triathlon in the late summer.  I'm watching everyone come out of the water, get on their bikes and head off.  I started looking at the people that were crazy enough to do this.  One thing that I noticed right away, were all the "fit" people.  I also started seeing guys that looked more like me.  When I say "looked like me", I mean not wafer thin, generally larger guys with wide shoulders, spare tires, etc.  At this time, I was about 240#, fast food for lunch eater, smoked 2 packs a day.  The thought then hit me, if guys this "big" can do this, I should be able to as well.  I made the decision in January 2009 to start training for one.  Found this site and I've been here ever since. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Happily married for going on 12 years.  2 children, my 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter.  We also have an 8 year old Sheltie.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Well, just look at my logs.  There really isn't much in there this year so far.  As a matter of fact, there isn't much in there since I finished up my last Tri back in September.  I plan on making a more conscience effort to put in 8-10 hours a week in training.  When I started training a year ago, I couldn't swim 50 yards w/o stopping.  Biking was not really an issue, as I've always been on 2 wheels most of my life.  Running, like swimming, is not my strong suit.  I started out being able to run for 30 seconds and eventually making it almost 5 miles without stopping. 

THIS YEARS RACES:  While I don't have any scheduled at the moment, I do plan on at least 2 sprint distances.  Millennium Park Tri and Reeds Lake Tri

LAST YEARS RACES:  First ever Tri was Tri Del Sol (0.5 / 18 / 4.5).  Second was supposed to be Millennium Tri, but Mother Nature had other ideas that day.  Third was Reeds Lake.

WEIGHTLOSS:  When I started training last year, I hit an all-time high of 248#.  I made it as low as 218#.  Since then, I'm back up to 236#.  I would like to get down to under 210#.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I noticed a significant trend in my training last year.  As part of a group last year, I held myself accountable for my own training as well as encouraging others.  Our group broke up early last year and I noticed that my training suffered as well.  I don't what that to happen for this year. 

Seeing that my running is my weakest sport, I plan on doing a more run-oriented training program with the grand idea of competing in a 1/2 Mary at the end of the season.  To let everyone know how bad my run leg is, here are the overall finishing positions of my last tri from last year:  swim - 395 out of 913 (a little better than mid pack), bike - 521 out of 913 (still solidly mid pack), run - 852 out of 913 (bottom 7%). 

Well, that's my story. 

Thanks,
Kevin
2010-04-07 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2773777

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Cutlass454 - 2010-04-07 11:09 AM If you're open to another relative newbie, I would love to join your group. 

NAME:  Kevin aka Cutlass454

STORY:  This is my 2nd year of doing triathlons.  2 years ago, I went and watched 2 of my very good friends do their 2nd triathlon in the late summer.  I'm watching everyone come out of the water, get on their bikes and head off.  I started looking at the people that were crazy enough to do this.  One thing that I noticed right away, were all the "fit" people.  I also started seeing guys that looked more like me.  When I say "looked like me", I mean not wafer thin, generally larger guys with wide shoulders, spare tires, etc.  At this time, I was about 240#, fast food for lunch eater, smoked 2 packs a day.  The thought then hit me, if guys this "big" can do this, I should be able to as well.  I made the decision in January 2009 to start training for one.  Found this site and I've been here ever since. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Happily married for going on 12 years.  2 children, my 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter.  We also have an 8 year old Sheltie.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Well, just look at my logs.  There really isn't much in there this year so far.  As a matter of fact, there isn't much in there since I finished up my last Tri back in September.  I plan on making a more conscience effort to put in 8-10 hours a week in training.  When I started training a year ago, I couldn't swim 50 yards w/o stopping.  Biking was not really an issue, as I've always been on 2 wheels most of my life.  Running, like swimming, is not my strong suit.  I started out being able to run for 30 seconds and eventually making it almost 5 miles without stopping. 

THIS YEARS RACES:  While I don't have any scheduled at the moment, I do plan on at least 2 sprint distances.  Millennium Park Tri and Reeds Lake Tri

LAST YEARS RACES:  First ever Tri was Tri Del Sol (0.5 / 18 / 4.5).  Second was supposed to be Millennium Tri, but Mother Nature had other ideas that day.  Third was Reeds Lake.

WEIGHTLOSS:  When I started training last year, I hit an all-time high of 248#.  I made it as low as 218#.  Since then, I'm back up to 236#.  I would like to get down to under 210#.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I noticed a significant trend in my training last year.  As part of a group last year, I held myself accountable for my own training as well as encouraging others.  Our group broke up early last year and I noticed that my training suffered as well.  I don't what that to happen for this year. 

Seeing that my running is my weakest sport, I plan on doing a more run-oriented training program with the grand idea of competing in a 1/2 Mary at the end of the season.  To let everyone know how bad my run leg is, here are the overall finishing positions of my last tri from last year:  swim - 395 out of 913 (a little better than mid pack), bike - 521 out of 913 (still solidly mid pack), run - 852 out of 913 (bottom 7%). 

Well, that's my story. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,

My buddy has a 1972 Cutlass 442 and it is sweet, so I have a soft spot in my heart for Cutlasses!  Welcome Aboard! 

Running is challenging! The good thing about running is, unlike swimming, the more we run, the better our run fitness will be.  I definitly struggle with running, and up until recently HATED running.  So last year I made a concience effort and forced myself to run, run and run some more until I learned to like it.  I can now even say I love it!  I signed up for a 1/2 marathon (next Sunday) and with a proper training plan have cut nearly 1:30 off my pace.  Running delivers the bulk of Triathlon injuries so it is important not to do too much too fast.  Running is also a fat killer!  If you run, the weight will come off! 

Glad to have you Kevin! 
2010-04-07 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
NAME: titeloops, Todd

STORY:
   started endurance training with TNT 2 years ago when my son was diagnosed with leukemia. Started out with a half mary, and that led to tri. Got hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: Married since 2001, with 3 kids ages 5,3, and 8 months. I'm 34 years old

CURRENT TRAINING:
Currently on an oly program for the next few weeks, the stepping up to IM or HIM prgram. Trying to find the time between dirty diapers, soccer games, and work.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: several sprints, and oly's. end goal is Beach to Battleship IM in Nov
2009 RACES:  none
WEIGHTLOSS: Down 25 lbs. Could lose a few more 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm a poster! Need all the help I can get!

Can I get in?
2010-04-07 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2773741

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
mchubri` - 2010-04-07 8:02 AM Well, I would keep in mind the arrival of your daughter.  You know what a loop a baby can throw you for.  I might suggest you use her birthday as your goal time frame and motivation!  Imagine her seeing her daddy for the 1st time a lean mean Triathlon machine!   End of August should give you a solid 20 weeks or so. The average male, in my experience (Please keep in mind I am no Dr., Nutritionist, Coach, etc.)  can expect to lose 1-2 lbs per week when dieting and excercising.  I might suggest using those parameters to set realistic, and reachable goals.  Everyone is different and the key to setting goals is to make your goals easy enough to attain, yet challenging enough to keep you focused.

As an example, I am 5'10" and started my weight loss journey at 233, over the course of time, I average about 1.2lbs per week when I'm on the wagon, and believe me, I fall off and when I fall, I fall hard!  So when I set my goals, that is what I use.

OK, so I've got twenty weeks until my daughter is born.  That's a good plan to use her birthday as a goal.  My only worry is that I've been training for this triathlon for 8 weeks now and haven't seen a pound of difference.  8 weeks of training and ZERO weight loss. 

Maybe it takes a couple months to start seeing a difference?  Or maybe my diet sucks?

I'm a vegetarian (for ethical reasons) and therefore can't follow must of the nutrition guides that other athletes follow.  I eat three solid meals a day with a a morning snack and afternoon snack that usually consists of fruit.  But maybe I'm just taking in too many calories? I am always hungry, especially now that I've been training a lot.  I'm not a huge sweets guy or anything, its just I eat large portions.  

2010-04-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2773950

User image

Expert
NW NJ
titeloops - 2010-04-07 11:58 AM NAME: titeloops, Todd

STORY:
   started endurance training with TNT 2 years ago when my son was diagnosed with leukemia. Started out with a half mary, and that led to tri. Got hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: Married since 2001, with 3 kids ages 5,3, and 8 months. I'm 34 years old

CURRENT TRAINING:
Currently on an oly program for the next few weeks, the stepping up to IM or HIM prgram. Trying to find the time between dirty diapers, soccer games, and work.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: several sprints, and oly's. end goal is Beach to Battleship IM in Nov
2009 RACES:  none
WEIGHTLOSS: Down 25 lbs. Could lose a few more 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm a poster! Need all the help I can get!

Can I get in?

Welcome Todd!  Heading out for a run, I'll check out your bio and logs when I return! 
2010-04-07 12:36 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
I would love to join the group

NAME:
stiga00/ Giancarlo

STORY: Also the husky child in school.  How about that!.  I had the idea to do a triathalon starting back several years ago but never made it past week 7 of a training plan until last year.  Last year I trained and did my first sprint last summer.  Unfortunetly after the event I basically lost my base completely so I have been base building again since january.  I have my first super sprint in a few weeks, and then a sprint the first of May.  First OWS yeah!!!! 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, for 7 years and i also have a 3 almost 4 year old son.  And my first born which is a rat terrier chiuaha mix. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
Currently I have been doing some base building using portions of different programs but a lot of michael pates plan is what I have based it on.  I try to get in 9 workouts a week, balanced between the three diciplines. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I struggle with wieght and always have.  I have lost about 25 pounds this year and need to lose a lot more.  I went to try on wet suits today and had the embarrasing situation of them having nothing that fit me.  So like some people put up a picture of a bikini for motivation I guess I get a picture of a wetsuit on my office wall for motivation.  I have been losing wieght at a constant pace just not a quick pace. 

Anyways sounds like it is shaping up to be a good group and hope that I can add something to the mix. 
2010-04-07 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I would like to join the group, here are my vitals:

NAME:
cjhild / Justin

STORY: I was not overly athletic growing up, played a little baseball, basketball, tennis, etc.  Was ok weight wise till I went into sales and started sitting around an office a lot.  Got up to 250 lbs at my highest and decided I needed to get my weight under control.  Changed jobs and started running with a couple guys at work and got down to 214 and stayed there awhile.  My work put on a “biggest loser” contest and I joined in and won that dropping 40 more pounds.  I currently fluctuate between 174-178.  I have been able to keep the weight down for almost two years now and I’m pretty satisfied with my current weight, would like to work on toning up now.  Towards the end of the biggest loser thing I saw a training plan on the Men’s Health web site and decided to do my first triathlon.  After losing the weight I decided that scheduling races would be my motivation to stay fit and keep my weight down.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 14 years now, two daughters (8 and 9), one son (5), two dogs (one shepherd mix and one terrier mix).

CURRENT TRAINING:
My goal is to get in 10 hours of training a week but with family, work, school, kid’s soccer/softball/t-ball/basketball/Girl Scouts, etc, etc, I do not often reach that goal.  Not really following a structured plan right now, just trying to get in my 3 sbr per week.  Up at 4 am for the drive to the pool and work, have to get in my rides on the weekend, and runs whenever I can.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Two done so far (sprint- February and March), three to go (sprint- April, June, and July), local 5ks in May and November.

2009 RACES:  Three sprints, one international, three 5ks

WEIGHTLOSS: Just want to maintain and tone up.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I keep up my training log and like to post in the mentor thread.  I have been in two mentor groups before and feel like I got a lot out of it.  I like to give and receive training/racing encouragement, really feel like it helps with motivation and overall enjoyment of the triathlon experience. 

2010-04-07 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio

Hi Brian
I'd like to join your group if I can.  My name is Tom and I am married and have a 2 year-old at home who I hope picks up on this experience.  My family is my priority so i workout before my son gets up and after he goes to bed.  in the summer my wife and myself run with him in the jogger.    I too battle with weight.  I am 235 pounds and 6'2".  My wife inspired me to get into triathlon as she is a runner and has completed several marathons.  I started training 7 weeks ago and could not swim 50 yards continuosly.  I am up to 1500 yard max swims now.  I typically do 500 - 1,000 yard swims 3 times a week.

I just completed my first indoor triathlon which was a "by time not distance" event which was great for me as it was not intimidating at all due to having to do a certain distance.  I completed it and did better than I thought I would even though I finished close to last.  I have 3 tri-sprints planned over the next three months with an Olympic in July.  I thought that would be good progression.    

I have bikes for a long time but only began running last year.  I have had 7 knee operations including 2 major reconstructions.  I was able to keep healthy knees by icing and stretching.  I completed my first half marathon last september but have decided that the distance is just too much for my knees.  Triathlon was the next best thing.

Let me know if I can join your group.

Thanks

Tom

2010-04-07 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Still open????  Anything with the title "crazy" seems like the right fit for me!

Name:  "sungirl919" - Robin

Story:  Always athletic in life, but after high school and college struggled to find something to do as an adult.  I coached girls and boys basketball while I taught math in middle school, but it was odd being on the other side of the bench.  Long story short, once I was married, my husband and I joined a gym and I got back into the habit of working out.  That was fine and all, but it started to get tedious without a goal.  This year, I signed up both of us for an indoor tri and I finished well.  Unfortunately (really, fortunately) I was hooked!!!  I had my road bike tuned up and started swimming and running more, but I'm gunshy about the biking...  cars freak me out.  But I love having goals to work for, and am extremely dedicated when there are goals in sight!

Family:  I'm now a stay-at-home mom with a Husband of 9 years who also enjoys working out, two energetic kids (5 and 3), 12 year old dog who still thinks he's a puppy...  I love to run with my husband when time and kids permit!

Current training:  Right now, I'm focusing on training for a half-marathon May 1 with some swimming and spin classes thrown in.  After that, I was just going to follow a plan in a book or online, but would rather have a group to "work" with.

Races: - 2 Lifetime Fitness indoor tris; finished #2 female/#14 overall and #1 female/ #3 overall 
            -Cap-city half-marathon 5/1, Komen Tri for the Cure (sprint) 6/26  --both in Columbus, OH
            -I will sign up for the Cleveland Tri 8/8 but haven't decided on length -sprint vs. oly           
            -Also considering another sprint in Cincinnati in July--trying to get the hubby in on this one!

2009 races:  none

Weightloss:  more maintennace than anything.  I still have 8 lbs to go for pre-baby weight...which would be a nice bonus!!!!

What would make me a good mentee:  I'm a good direction follower!  Some people are born leaders, some people are born direction takers--I'm a taker.  Being a beginner, I have lots and lots to learn and am willing to push myself.  I'm not selfish, though...  I also like to discuss training with others, so I can learn from them and they can learn from me.  My husband would probably like it if I found other people to talk to this about!    I'm looking for guidance and accountability to others to make me do the things I don't really want to do (like hills)! 

Pretty please??? 

Thanks for being a mentor! 

2010-04-07 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran

I would love to join if you'll have me!  I'm pretty new to all of this, but I want to learn as much as I can!

NAME:
crisi13/Crissy

STORY: I've never been a true "athlete".  I spent 6 years in the military and ran 1.5 miles twice a year because I had to!  I got out of the Navy almost 7 years ago and have allowed my weight to keep increasing.  I got into cycling 2 years ago, but again I allowed myself to "quit" and gained over 30lbs in the last year and a half.  

This past November, I turned 30 and it was like a light came on...I'm not getting any younger or healthier and if I don't change, I'm  going to wind up like the rest of my family.  By mid December 2009, I had started the Couch to 5K program, quit smoking and gave up caffeine.  Four months later, I'm still going strong.  I haven't lost a lot of weight yet...I still have issues with the eating, but I feel so much better! 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 5 years to a wonderful husband that has started doing races/triathlons with me!  We have two wonderful dogs, Sadie and Molly.

CURRENT TRAINING: I’m currently using a Sprint training plan for my swimming and an HI run/bike plan that I found online.  I’m not a strong swimmer (just started swim classes last night to get better…and actually swam with my face in the water), but I do want to run a half marathon this year.  So I figured, I’d train for both the Sprint and the Half Marathon at the same time.  My plan is to swim on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.  Run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons (and sometimes on Sundays) and bike on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays.  I’m trying to do weights on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My husband and I are looking at doing quite a few (he’s a T-shirt junkie), but this is all that’s definite so far!  By spending money and signing up for these, even if they’re “just” 5K’s, we’re invested and it forces us continue to push forward even when we want to take a break!

Shamrock 8K  - March 20th  - Met both my goals!  I ran the entire time and finished in under 60 minutes (59:57).

Nags Head Woods 5K – May 8th

Dominion River Rock 5K Mud Run – May 14th

Icelandic Seafood Fest 8K – June 19th

Rock and Roll Half Marathon – September 5th

Patriot Sprint Triathlon – September 12th

Livestrong Sandbridge 10K – October 2nd

Warrior Dash (my hubby’s pick…I’m not so excited!) – October 9th

Wicked 10K – October 30th

Duathlon – November

2009 RACES:  Other than a sprint to the refrigerator…Nothing!

WEIGHTLOSS: It’s the reason I started on this journey.  I’ve gained a lot of weight and had allowed myself to become extremely unhealthy!  I keep saying I have 40lbs to go, but the numbers aren’t as important as how I feel.  I feel so much better already and I know the weight will come off as I continue to get healthier.  The final number on the scale isn’t really that important to me. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love sharing ideas and getting advice from others that are in my position and understand where I’m coming from and where I’m going!  I can be fanatical when I start on a new project and it’s always good to have people that will help keep me grounded!

2010-04-07 1:17 PM

Veteran

Another complete Newbie!!  Can I still get in?

NAME:
Chezz / Gerardo

STORY: Wasn't a complete husky growing up but we had soccer back home and that kept me in shape.  Started working and travelling and that made exercise more difficult and gained a lot of weight.  Moved to Greensboro NC 3 yrs ago with my wife and have continued to enjoy southern cooking, so we decided to start running 1.5 years ago.  Were able to run 3 halfs in a year and really enjoyed.  With the great outdoor opportunities around here, a colleague from work got me into road bike just recently, so this year I decided to venture into Tri's.  Started my training this year after a terrible off season and have started to pick up.  I definitely enjoy it but had my first OWS experience last week and freaked me out, so swimming is the key for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, going on 3 great years with my wife, she is very supportive of my crazy idea but won't actually jump in.  I do however need to start my training early in the morning so I do not use up family time

CURRENT TRAINING:
I am following a sprint BT training, 6-8 hours a week bu have only been consistent for a month.  I am looking to tweak it so I can do more swim and joined a master's swimming class a week ago to help with that.  Actually thought s/b/r 3x a week was going to be easy to handle but it's not!!
Wanted to do an olympic this year, but will settle at finishing my first sprint and improve for another couple.  Will push on half marathon training plan during summer and hopefully run a full mary this year (I know I can If I lose the weight!)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 Sprints (May/July), Half Marathon (Sept), Full Mary (Nov)

2009 RACES:  several 5ks, 3 half marathons 

WEIGHTLOSS: Need help and need to have a balanced and healthy eating life style

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I like BT environment, have learned a lot and will look to learn and apply myself with my training.  I am very organized so tri was an instant fit for me. 

2010-04-07 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
WOW, What a response!  I've listed the group as oficially closed!  I'd like to welcome everyone to my Crazy Awesome Training Group!  Here is the list of participants:

swimfreak17/Ronda
n.k/Nole
Cutlass454/Kevin
titeloops/Todd
stiga00/ Giancarlo
cjhild / Justin
Tkimble01/Tom
sungirl919/Robin
crisi13/Crissy

Please make sure to add everyone to your friends list so we can all check in on your logs.  It looks like we have a lot in common and I think we should have a kick a$$ group! 

I have to run into a meeting, but will check in later with a little housekeeping and start up some good discussions about our goals for the upcoming season! 

I am super excited to have all of you and I hope you are too!

-Brian
2010-04-07 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Why not make it an even 10?  Chezz / Gerardo you are in at the buzzer!  Welcome!
2010-04-07 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2774384

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
sungirl919

finished #2 female/#14 overall and #1 female/ #3 overall

Congrats, that is awesome!  I find it motivating to get a placing you are really proud of. 

2010-04-07 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

Ok group, a few housekeeping items before we embark on our journey into the heart of the race season:

1. As far as I can tell from all of your Bio's, no one here is a professional athlete, so everything we do within Triathlon should be FUN!  So please, let’s have tons of fun training and learning! 

2. We all have families, it is really easy to get caught up in training hours, long rides/runs/bricks. I can't speak for everyone but let’s not forget our commitment to our families.  Sometimes we have to skip a workout to take the kids to the park, or have a family breakfast.  It's ok, not the end of the world! Tomorrow is just a day away.

3. In regards to training logs, it looks like we all are doing a good job logging our training here on BT.  I encourage everyone to keep up with your logs on a regular basis.  Don't be afraid to jot a few notes about your workout/nutrition/overall health or whatever you are feeling in your logs/blogs.  I will try to check in with everyone a few times per week, and I encourage you to keep up with each other, oh yeah, and feel free to check in with me, I am relying on all of you to keep me in check too.

4. There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS!  Please ask anything and everything here!  Don't be shy or hesitant, I'd like to foster an open environment and productive discussion in this group.

4. Personal disclaimers:
                   .... I am not a Doctor, Nutritionist, Coach, Psychologist, professional athlete etc. I am a regular guy.  I read a lot about health, fitness, triathlon etc, and have some experience with training and weight loss, so please keep this in mind with anything I say.  If I don't know the answer to something, I will try to find out or guide you in the proper direction. 
                   ....I am a TERRIBLE speller, aweful! <--- see   So I apologize in advance!
                   ....I can be a little crude at times and can have a potty mouth, again I apologize in advance!

5. Let’s have fun!  Now, with that all said, let’s start a discussion....

What are your goals for the next few months/Summer? 

Here are mine:
Reach my weight loss goal of 23 lbs by next Sunday, I'm 2lbs away
Finish my 1/2 marathon in 1:45
Complete a century ride
Swim 2 miles, preferably OWS
Run a 5K race in under 24 minutes (7:30 pace)
Place top 3 in my AG in my Sprint Tri
Drop an additional 5lbs by the end of the Summer

Edited by mchubri` 2010-04-07 2:44 PM
2010-04-07 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
My goals for the next few months:

• Run my first running race (5K) this Sunday and average at least or under 10:00/miles
  • Continue to follow my training plan leading up my first Olympic tri at the end of June
  • Eat better (more vegetables and less processed food)
  • Lose 45 lbs by the time my daughter is born at the end of August
2010-04-07 3:09 PM

Am I too late, I would love to be a part of the group?

Edited by icky43 2010-04-07 3:22 PM
2010-04-07 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2774928

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-07 4:06 PM My goals for the next few months:

• Run my first running race (5K) this Sunday and average at least or under 10:00/miles
  • Continue to follow my training plan leading up my first Olympic tri at the end of June
  • Eat better (more vegetables and less processed food)
  • Lose 45 lbs by the time my daughter is born at the end of August

Nole, have you ever kept a nutrition log?  Tracking everything you eat over the course of the day?  I try to do that for at least 2 weeks at the start of a weight loss phase. I use www.nutritiondata.com to estimate the calories of meals.  It is really suprising how extra calories can sneak into your daily routine.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27