BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Menglo's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-04-05 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Menglo's Mentoring Group - Closed
NAME: Menglo/Ryan

STORY: My Name is Ryan and I live in Milwaukee, WI with my wife and our Alaskan husky Nadie (thats her on my avatar).  I graduated from Michigan Technological University in May of 2009 and have yet to find a "real" engineering job as the economy has made it near impossible to do so.  My wife is attending law school at Marquette University here in Milwaukee.  I have been an athlete my whole life (soccer, alpine racing, track during high school).  Once I graduated from high school I spent about 2 years doing little to no working out.  I enjoyed biking and was told by a friend in 2008 to do triathlon as I was a decent runner.  I IMMEDIATELY fell in love the first week of training.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to my lovely wife Erica (SoccerGK).  We have an Alaskan Husky (Nadie) who is the love of our lives, and my running partner. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  I usually do 3x per week biking and running, and swim twice a week.  I couldn't race summer of 2009 due to a shoulder injury.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just a little summary of what you have recently done.  I'm currently signed up for a Half marathon on Saturday (April 10th) and I'm looking at an Olympic distance in late July.

2009 RACES: Light due to finances
                       April 10th - Badgerland Striders South Shore Half-Marathon
                       July 24th - Ironabe Olympic distance Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: N/A  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I feel like I have learned and taken a lot from the BT and triathlon community and I truly love the sport.  I want to give back by helping motivate other beginners.  I have gone through a wide range of injuries (4 knee surgeries), aches, and pains from over-training and have managed to work through all of them in relatively good order (I feel).  I have also been considering becoming a triathlon coach as well.  I felt this would be a great place to get a taste for this.  I love seeing others succeed and encouraging others.  This is the perfect opportunity for that.

Edited by menglo 2010-04-14 1:47 PM

2010-04-10 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2769926

User image

Subject: RE: Menglo's Mentoring Group - Open

Mengalo, - beautiful dog by the way. i love animals, especially dogs.

May I join?

A little about me.

Name: WhizBonker/AJ
Story: My name is AJ and I am studying networking and telecommunications in college. I used to be an equestrian back in highschool, and in my final year i started doing triathlons... (well, i did just the beginning). In the winters back then i would do snowboarding. When i started collge, i was swomped with work. blah, so i had to go to being a full time student. but now its summer, well school is over for me in 2 weeks. i have my finals then. 
Weight Loss: about 30lbs. yesh the lifestyle of a student is kinda crappy. i want to go back to being what i used to look like

- need to know anything more? just ask, i will always have an answer.

Whiz Bonkers

2010-04-10 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Welcome AJ!  College is a tough time to figure out all this.  I really found that Triathlon helped focus me and gave me GREAT time management skills.  Welcome to the group!
2010-04-12 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Portland
Nice work on the bike ride!  A request/tip on the logs:

Try to make a few notes about how you felt before, during, and after the ride.  I've found that its a great way to nail down where/when/how an injury or sickness started.

Also, please don't be afraid to ask ANY question, I'm hoping we can get some other athletes in the mentoring group so we can learn from each other's triumphs/mistakes.

Welcome and I'm excited about our group! 
2010-04-12 3:15 PM

User image

just got out of school today. so long the day. and i have a calculus exam i have to study for. today im not going to do much because while i was out on my bike i pulled a muscle in my right hamstring.

im thinking about entering a sprint tri for my birthday...how do i sign up for one of those? who do i need to contact.

whiz bonker
2010-04-12 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview
Hi Ryan,

Well winter mentoring is over and I am looking for a summer group.

My name is Lance I have been trying to do a Tri for 2 year now last year I got to within a week of my TRI and tore my meniscus
have a sprint scheduled on May 16 and am hoping to just finish this first one.  I have biked for four years and have even finished a few century rides everything has suffered from my latoff for knee surgery recovery at present I am lucky to run 10 min/mile and my cyling has slowed also.   My training suffers because I thought it would be a good idea to go back to grad school after age 40.  I still try to train 4-5 times a week but some of these are abbreviated.

I have been able to drop about 15 lbs since surgery (in Oct). I am really looking for somepne to help kep me accountable and maybe give me some training tips

Thanks,

Lance

2010-04-12 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2786450

User image

Expert
Portland
lanceho - 2010-04-12 5:08 PM Hi Ryan,

Well winter mentoring is over and I am looking for a summer group.

My name is Lance I have been trying to do a Tri for 2 year now last year I got to within a week of my TRI and tore my meniscus
have a sprint scheduled on May 16 and am hoping to just finish this first one.  I have biked for four years and have even finished a few century rides everything has suffered from my latoff for knee surgery recovery at present I am lucky to run 10 min/mile and my cyling has slowed also.   My training suffers because I thought it would be a good idea to go back to grad school after age 40.  I still try to train 4-5 times a week but some of these are abbreviated.

I have been able to drop about 15 lbs since surgery (in Oct). I am really looking for somepne to help kep me accountable and maybe give me some training tips

Thanks,

Lance

Welcome to the group Lance!  I have had 4 meniscus tear surgeries myself!  It really stinks feeling like you have to come from ground zero in training.  I'm very excited to begin mentoring the group.  Just make sure to log your workouts!  I'll be checking in.  As I said before, don't be afraid to ask questions, also pipe in when someone else asks as well if you have some input!
2010-04-13 10:57 AM

User image

Mission Viejo
Room for me?

I haven't yet entered or competed in a tri.  But I am looking for local beginner-friendly sprint tris, and hope to sign up for a August or September event.  I am a lifelong competitive swimmer, occasional biker, and a struggling runner.  I work out every day and try to swim about 5 miles a week, bike about 40 miles, and walk about 10.  I obviously need to up the ante now that I have a goal. 

I am married with 2 sons, 9 and 12, and 2 stepkids, 14 and 18.  I live in sunny SoCal and work full-time.

I am not focusing on weight loss, although it was a bit depressing to find out I can register in a seperate division in some races because of my weight!  I am 6-foot and weigh 160 lbs, so I am solidly in the Athena category, I guess. 

I need all the help I can get...starting with the basics.  I am reading articles, watching videos, and stalking the forums for advice!

Thanks!
2010-04-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2788194

User image

Expert
Portland
amillers - 2010-04-13 10:57 AM Room for me?

I haven't yet entered or competed in a tri.  But I am looking for local beginner-friendly sprint tris, and hope to sign up for a August or September event.  I am a lifelong competitive swimmer, occasional biker, and a struggling runner.  I work out every day and try to swim about 5 miles a week, bike about 40 miles, and walk about 10.  I obviously need to up the ante now that I have a goal. 

I am married with 2 sons, 9 and 12, and 2 stepkids, 14 and 18.  I live in sunny SoCal and work full-time.

I am not focusing on weight loss, although it was a bit depressing to find out I can register in a seperate division in some races because of my weight!  I am 6-foot and weigh 160 lbs, so I am solidly in the Athena category, I guess. 

I need all the help I can get...starting with the basics.  I am reading articles, watching videos, and stalking the forums for advice!

Thanks!

Welcome to the group!  It will be very nice to have a great swimmer with us!
2010-04-13 12:19 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
Still got room?

NAME:
Joe

STORY: Well I've always been active in some way since I was a kid.  After playing sports in high school I went to college for a semester and decided I wasn't ready for the college life.  I wanted something more exciting so I joined the Marine Corps.  After serving I went back to school and did absolutely nothing in terms of working out and staying healthy.  Drinking and eating fast food pretty much took up all of my time.  After about 8 months of this lifestyle I decided enough was enough.  I'm a Marine and I look like crap!!!!  So I started running and eventually my cousin talked me into running a marathon.  (mainly because his wife ran 2 in the past and he didn't want to be showed up by her)  So I started training for the marathon and once it was said and done I decided to give triathlons a shot.  This was all last year.  

FAMILY STATUS:  Single

CURRENT TRAINING:  I don't have a set plan but I try to put in about 6 - 8 hrs per week.  I joined a masters swim class because swimming is my weakest sport and it has helped a lot.  School takes up a lot of my time.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Wet N Wild Triathlon  - 1st one ever (done)
                                    River Ranch Triathlon - July 10
                                    Conquer the Coast Bike Ride - Sept. 24
                                    Keep Texas Wild Triathlon - Oct. TBA
                                    Capital 2 Coast Relay - Oct. 15
                                    Fiesta Marathon - Dec. TBA

2009 RACES: Duathlon (can't remember name)
                       Surf N Turf Adventure Race - South Padre Island, TX
                       Rock N Roll Marathon - San Antonio, TX

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm good

2010-04-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2788472

User image

Expert
Portland
dboy25 - 2010-04-13 12:19 PM Still got room?

NAME:
Joe

STORY: Well I've always been active in some way since I was a kid.  After playing sports in high school I went to college for a semester and decided I wasn't ready for the college life.  I wanted something more exciting so I joined the Marine Corps.  After serving I went back to school and did absolutely nothing in terms of working out and staying healthy.  Drinking and eating fast food pretty much took up all of my time.  After about 8 months of this lifestyle I decided enough was enough.  I'm a Marine and I look like crap!!!!  So I started running and eventually my cousin talked me into running a marathon.  (mainly because his wife ran 2 in the past and he didn't want to be showed up by her)  So I started training for the marathon and once it was said and done I decided to give triathlons a shot.  This was all last year.  

FAMILY STATUS:  Single

CURRENT TRAINING:  I don't have a set plan but I try to put in about 6 - 8 hrs per week.  I joined a masters swim class because swimming is my weakest sport and it has helped a lot.  School takes up a lot of my time.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Wet N Wild Triathlon  - 1st one ever (done)
                                    River Ranch Triathlon - July 10
                                    Conquer the Coast Bike Ride - Sept. 24
                                    Keep Texas Wild Triathlon - Oct. TBA
                                    Capital 2 Coast Relay - Oct. 15
                                    Fiesta Marathon - Dec. TBA

2009 RACES: Duathlon (can't remember name)
                       Surf N Turf Adventure Race - South Padre Island, TX
                       Rock N Roll Marathon - San Antonio, TX

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm good

Welcome to the group!!!  Also, thank you for serving our country as a Marine, its an honor to have you!

Just so the group knows I'm planning on capping it at one more mentee then I'll close the group. A couple guidelines for the group:

-Log your workouts so we can see what your doing 
-Try to stay active asking and answer questions in the group (it'll be more fun that way)
-Try to inspire one of the group members at least once a week
-Ask questions.... LOTS of them, its the best way for us to learn!
-And of course, HAVE FUN! thats the name of the game!

So I'll open up the discussion, by saying first off, does anyone have any questions at all?  Of me, about tri's, for someone else in the group? ask away! 

2010-04-13 8:04 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
i have a question......does anyone know of a cheap website with tri stuff on it?  i am all for supporting my local shops but i'm a college student on a budget and can't always afford shop prices.  i'm mainly looking for clothing.

thanks
2010-04-13 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2789786

User image

Expert
Portland
dboy25 - 2010-04-13 8:04 PM i have a question......does anyone know of a cheap website with tri stuff on it?  i am all for supporting my local shops but i'm a college student on a budget and can't always afford shop prices.  i'm mainly looking for clothing.

thanks

Depends largely on what you're looking for, E-Bay is a great place to pick up some inexpensive tri-shorts and jerseys.   Nashbar.com carries some decent stuff (mostly biking stuff though), I've heard decent things about their house brands.  Also, I've heard wonderful things about Aevero as well.  They have fantastic customer service and a decent deal $42 for a tri top and shorts.  

A couple tri specific website: all3sports.com and trisports.com (BT-W coupon code to get 10% off)

Edited by menglo 2010-04-13 8:21 PM
2010-04-13 10:35 PM

SW Ontario
Noticed the topic still said open...Got room for one more?

NAME:
Brad

STORY:  Being in Canada, I've always been a winter sport person.  Skiing and hockey mostly when I was younger, got to high school and played football in the fall.  Then when I got to college, the sporting life took a back seat to drinking and eating.  3 years into the 5 years I was there, I was a fairly hefty 265 lbs.  I was living with a varsity water polo player at the time and the first night of binge drinking of 4th year I said I'd try out for the water polo team while under the influence.  The next night he held me to my promise and not wanting to back out I went with him.  Never having swam anywhere but a backyard pool, it was ugly but I stuck with it.  8 years later I recently stepped down as assistant coach of the team due to family reasons and retired from playing the sport completely due to a chronic shoulder injury.  The injury seems to flair up when having objects slammed off an outstretched arm or when it is yanked on.  Swimming is fine, water polo is a problem.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a tri for a few years now as I've been looking for something to train for during the summers.  Over Christmas I told my wife of a triathlon in her family's hometown and she decided to tell her entire family that I was going to be racing.  Now I have to do it...

FAMILY STATUS:  Wife of 2 years.  Daughter of 5 weeks.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Plan - 2 runs, bikes and swims a week.
                                     Actual - Whatever I can get in.  I need to get more focused.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Tomatoman Sprint - Leamington, ON (June 20)
                                    Guelph Lake II Sprint - Guelph, ON (Sept 4)

2009 RACES: None.

WEIGHTLOSS: 15lbs+ would help.
2010-04-14 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2790071

User image

Expert
Portland
Sucrizzle - 2010-04-13 10:35 PM Noticed the topic still said open...Got room for one more?

NAME:
Brad

STORY:  Being in Canada, I've always been a winter sport person.  Skiing and hockey mostly when I was younger, got to high school and played football in the fall.  Then when I got to college, the sporting life took a back seat to drinking and eating.  3 years into the 5 years I was there, I was a fairly hefty 265 lbs.  I was living with a varsity water polo player at the time and the first night of binge drinking of 4th year I said I'd try out for the water polo team while under the influence.  The next night he held me to my promise and not wanting to back out I went with him.  Never having swam anywhere but a backyard pool, it was ugly but I stuck with it.  8 years later I recently stepped down as assistant coach of the team due to family reasons and retired from playing the sport completely due to a chronic shoulder injury.  The injury seems to flair up when having objects slammed off an outstretched arm or when it is yanked on.  Swimming is fine, water polo is a problem.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a tri for a few years now as I've been looking for something to train for during the summers.  Over Christmas I told my wife of a triathlon in her family's hometown and she decided to tell her entire family that I was going to be racing.  Now I have to do it...

FAMILY STATUS:  Wife of 2 years.  Daughter of 5 weeks.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Plan - 2 runs, bikes and swims a week.
                                     Actual - Whatever I can get in.  I need to get more focused.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Tomatoman Sprint - Leamington, ON (June 20)
                                    Guelph Lake II Sprint - Guelph, ON (Sept 4)

2009 RACES: None.

WEIGHTLOSS: 15lbs+ would help.

Welcome to the group!  Also, congrats on the new daughter!
2010-04-14 9:45 AM

Room for one more?  If so, I'll make another post with my info. ~ Thanks

2010-04-14 10:57 AM

User image

Mission Viejo
I had great luck picking up some slightly used tri gear on Craigslist!  Also, Bonktown.com has terrific one-item-at-a-time sales.  There are lots of mens' bike items.  Steepandcheap.com is a similiar site with more types of items....hiking, biking, climbing, etc. 

Congratulations on the little one!

2010-04-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2790861

User image

Expert
Portland
jdseymour - 2010-04-14 9:45 AM Room for one more?  If so, I'll make another post with my info. ~ Thanks

Definately!
2010-04-14 12:52 PM

Thanks!  Here's a little about me:
Name: Jeff (or Poppi as my grandaughter calls me).

Story: 55 year old grandfather who decided to participate in a triathlon this year.  I live in Mansquan, NJ.  I teach yoga as an occupation.  I'm a "late bloomer" didn't start rock climbing until I was 35, surfing when I was 40, yoga at 50 and now triathlon at 55.

Family status: married with children & grandchildren

Current training: swim on Monday, Wednesday & Friday / bike & run on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

This years races: Jersey Shore Kick-off in May (sprint), Long Branch Series in June (sprint) & New Jersey State triathlon @ Mercer County Park in July (Olympic)

Weightloss:  I could lose 5 or 10 and be quicker on the bike & run (plus I wouldn't look so much like a plump sausage in my tri top)

Thanks!

2010-04-14 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2791657

User image

Expert
Portland
Welcome Jeff! I've always lived by the moto: "you have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up!

Edited by menglo 2010-04-14 1:49 PM
2010-04-14 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Menglo's Mentoring Group - Closed

Originally written by Whiz Bonker (2010-04-14  1:54 PM)

hey ryan

i got a race in july...sometime. and i want to know exactly what i would expect. im sorry i have never done anything like this.

would you be able to just tell me everything i can expect right from the beginning... (how do i get out of my wetsuit and where...- i cant loose that thing)...

i really want this to go as smoothly as possible

thanks AJ (whiz bonker)

AJ,  I hope you don't mind, I figured I would post it in the forum so that everyone could benefit and also chime in any words of encouragement/advice.

Its a relatively complex question and I'll answer it to the best of my ability, I'll break it down by parts of the day(s):

Night before:  Get a good dinner in.  Lay out ALLL of your stuff, maybe even practice a T1 and T2 (transitions) a bit.  Get to bed early and plan on getting up early.  If you're anything like me you may not sleep too well that night due to nerves, but you'll be fine, I promise!

Morning of:  Out of bed early, shower if you want.  Get a GOOD breakfast (I like PB&J toast personally).  Something simple, bagels, oatmeal is great, fruit (if you can stomach it).  Nothing new!  Something that you've eaten before a training session before that you know will sit well.  Pack everything into your car and go over your checklists 3-4 times.

At the race:  Get there early (shoot for when transition opens up) and try to get a good spot (I like the end of the racks, it makes it easy to find your bike after the swim.  Go pick up any info, get body marked than start on your warm-up routine.

Warm-up:  I like to take my bike out and run it through the gears first to make sure their aren't any MAJOR problems.  Check the brakes, waterbottle holders, bike computer.  Lastly, before re-racking your bike, check your tire pressure and inflate if needed.  I'll go for a light jog next just to get the blood flowing.  I'll head out of the T-2 exit so I'll know what to expect.  Continue to drink water throughout.  Continue to stretch and move around till the start.

Start:  They'll let you know when/where you should be to start.  Swim a little warmup to get a feel for the water.  I would suggest positioning yourself to the outside, this will help keep people from swimming over the top of you.  If you are REALLY unsure of your swimming abilities wait about 10-15 sec. after the gun goes off for everyone to "clear out".

Swim:  I would strongly urge getting an OWS in before the race.  It can be tough swimming without the line on the bottom for you to follow.  Just stick to your training and technique and you'll be fine.  Practice sighting if you can, I look every 6-8 strokes.  The bouys are rather easy to see as they are usually rather bright.

T-1:  When I stand up after swimming I'll tend to get a little light headed after being horizontal swimming.  I've never worn a wetsuit for a tri before, but any strippers should be right near transition.  If not, make sure you practice taking your wetsuit off.  Also, I find my heartrate is through the roof because of the adrenaline.  Remember one thing, BREATH.  Long deep breaths.  find your bike, go through the transition you practiced and get out on the bike. 

Bike:  The tendency is to go out way to hard on the bike right away.  Try to avoid this if at all possible.  Your heartrate will be high and you want to settle yourself down.  The courses are well marked and the volunteers at the races I've done have been extremely helpful.  If you can get a chance to at least drive the bike course a couple days before, do it.  It'll be nice to know of any big hills or anything to that effect.  Remember, NO surprises on race day!

T-2:  makes sure you slow up coming into transition, off the bike, re-rack the bike.  Tie your shoes (take an extra second here to make sure they're done right).  Put on your race number belt (if you have one, if not just safety pin the number to the shirt you put on to bike in).  Take a sip of water or sports drink (whichever you prefer) and head out.

Run:  Your legs will feel like lead and you'll feel like you could prabably walk faster than your running.  Trust your training though.  I loosen up after about a mile.  Hit cruise and enjoy.  You're almost done!  Grab water at aide stations.  Stop to drink if you need to (its EXTREMELY hard to run and drink at the same time).

Finish:  When you finish someone will take your timing chip off for you.  Eat whatever you can get your hands one (you deserve it) and go cheer on the other finishers.

A few all encompassing things I've said, others I haven't.  First off, NO SURPRISES! don't wear, eat, or drink anything new/special on race day.  This can be a recipe for disaster.  Enjoy the day.  It is YOURS, you earned it!  Run YOUR race, it doesn't matter who passes you or who you pass.  DFL>DNF>DNS EVERYTIME.  Trust in your training, you trained hard to get there, trust that it will take you through the race, because it will.

If I've forgotten anything, please let me know.  I know its a lot.  Also this is mostly from my experience, which will be very different then many others.  I tried to be as general as possible.  Also if anyone else has any other tips, like I said, chime in! 

Edited by menglo 2010-04-14 2:57 PM

2010-04-14 3:49 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
AJ,

A good thing to remember while you're on the bike is to hydrate and take in any gels (if you want to use them.)  As it was already mentioned, running and drinking is kinda tricky.  The bike portion is the easiest and best time to get nutrition in.   
2010-04-15 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2792287

SW Ontario
Thanks for taking the time to share the info with the rest of the group!  I've also never done a tri before and I need to take in as much information as possible to make sure I'm not "that guy" on the course.

Now for a question from me.

What's the best way to be training in a pool for a longer swim?  My swim is only going to be 750m but all my swim training has been around high turnover 15-20m sprints that come in handy for water polo.  Right now most of my swim sets consist of 200m repeats and then some drill work at the end.  Would this be good enough or should I be doing some workouts where I just swim endless lengths to get ready for a longer swim?
2010-04-15 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2793232

User image

Expert
Portland
Sucrizzle - 2010-04-15 7:04 AM Thanks for taking the time to share the info with the rest of the group!  I've also never done a tri before and I need to take in as much information as possible to make sure I'm not "that guy" on the course.

Now for a question from me.

What's the best way to be training in a pool for a longer swim?  My swim is only going to be 750m but all my swim training has been around high turnover 15-20m sprints that come in handy for water polo.  Right now most of my swim sets consist of 200m repeats and then some drill work at the end.  Would this be good enough or should I be doing some workouts where I just swim endless lengths to get ready for a longer swim?

A mix of shorter sprints and longer distances (up to 500) is ideal.  The website I've been referred to by BTers is www.swimplan.com.  Its free and it will build you a swim workout based on how much time you have.  It will adjust the times based on Time trials you can do.  I'm assuming you have decent form and that your comfortable in the water because of your water polo background.  I would suggest using that.  BTers seem to really like it.

Personally I like to swim the distance of my event at least once, just to know what it will feel like.  Luckily enough my dad lives on a lake that I can use for OWS practice. for those longer swims.  Thats just a mental thing for me though.
2010-04-15 10:08 AM

Subject: Didn't stick the landing on the dismount

I'll share my embarrasing T2 effort today:  On the bike for an hour (I'm slow about 16 miles) and coming in on the pavement to transition @ my Jeep.  Unclip the left foot, slow down, put the left foot down and the next thing I know I'm going over on the right side of my bike with my right foot still clipped in Surprised...I bounced off the pavement next to my Jeep Yell...got up, (looked around to see who was laughing), stowed the bike, changed shoes and slogged my 4 miles.  Lesson learned: unclip BOTH sides before stopping...one of my problems are that I have the SPD pedals (both sides) and when I unclip and coast to a stop there feels like there is nothing to rest my slippery shoes on and I struggle to feel comfortable coming to a stop or I get the beautiful display you read about above.
Suggestions?  Jokes?  Share your stories?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Menglo's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5