Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2010-04-07 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Jford2309's Group - CLOSED

NAME: Jford2309- James

STORY: I am in my third year of traithalon working towards being an Ironman. I got into this sport becasue I missed the competition aspect after college. I have made steady improvements each year and I am really expectiting big gains this year. I will be doing my first HIM thie September.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, father of three of the coolest little guys ever (10-9 and 15 months

CURRENT TRAINING: My training is mainly consist of constant activity. I have started swimming more drills than laps, I have started running more tempo runs, and adding more distance than before (completed my first 1/2 marathon this year) and my biking consists of getting plenty of time in the saddle.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: PR'd a 10K, PR'd a half marathon so gfar this year

2009 RACES: 
May 1 Gearhead Sprint Triathlon
June 19 Dragonfly Triathlon
July 17 Mighty Mite Tri
Aug 1 Sharpshooter Sprint Tri
Sept 19 Ironman Branson 70.3
Nov 2010 Turkey Trot 4 miler
Dec 2010 Memphis marathon
and some smaller 5ks thrown in

WEIGHTLOSS: N/A

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am not sure if I willbe the best provider of information, but I know that I will set an example of getting in the mileage and will be able to help motivate you in your season, whatever your gaols may be. I hope to keep it a fairly small group so that I can be as hands on as I would like to be. I look forwarding to hearing everyones stories and goals and then seeing you hit those goals!

Edited by jford2309 2010-04-20 8:08 AM

2010-04-07 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2773486

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Jford2309's Group - OPEN
I am already in a group, but James is one kick-a$$ friend and triathlete!  He has come a long way and would be a great mentor.  You'll be lucky to have him!  Have fun with it James!
2010-04-17 6:39 PM

User image

Hello!  I was wondering if I could be in your group?  I just started training for a triathlon in october.  Of course, this one doesn't include swimming it has rowing.  I am a very unmotivated runner... but I love my bicycle!!!!  I spend at least 3 days a week on it!  I am going to attempt the BT sprint run focused plan, but... I'm not loving the 3 days of running and only 2 days biking! I have no experience at sports, and will probably need a lot of help!

2010-04-17 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2798718

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Ktikbell Welcome!

I do not much about rowing, but I would love to try it sometime! Running does nto come easy for everyone, but it is one of the segments I love! Welcome to the group.

If you would not mind, please use the form in my opening post and let me know a little more about you! Looking forward to progessing through this season with you!

2010-04-18 9:51 AM

New user

Edited by htregear 2011-11-30 5:44 AM
2010-04-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2773802

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
chichitao - 2010-04-07 11:15 AM I am already in a group, but James is one kick-a$$ friend and triathlete!  He has come a long way and would be a great mentor.  You'll be lucky to have him!  Have fun with it James!

Concur!

2010-04-18 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2799316

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Htreger, There is plenty of room, Welcome!

Awesome to hear the excitement in competiting in triathlons. I have always been a competitive guy, so triathlons, and competitiing against myself has been great for me. Sounds like you are doing well on your running (20 minute 5K is awesome), but looks like you might benefit from a taining plan or schedule. The swimming is the hardest thing for people to grasp, especially OWS.

I will be reviewing your logs soon and I will let you know what has worked for me and try to pinpoint some of your goals. Look forward to talking with you!

2010-04-18 12:32 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Both Lora and Tim were in the first mentoring group I was apart of. It is a good way to build friendships on here! Thanks for the support guys!

ALso I would encourage you both to use the traiing logs on here. It will help me see what you are doing, the volume you are training as well as other importnat features about your training. I see that you are both new to BT, so if you have any questions about the site, please let me know!
2010-04-18 4:46 PM

User image

Thanks for agreeing to be my mentor...

Name- Shannon

Story - I am 37 and I woke up 2 years ago 200+lbs and tired all the time!  So, I made some changes and lost a good portion of my weight and realized I want to feel better at 40 than I did at 20!  So I started couch to 5 k and I quickly found out that running is not something I really love!  So , I switched to cycling and found happiness!  My cousins ran the triathlon last year and I was surprised at how sad I was that I knew I couldn't do it!  Then I kicked my butt in gear and said this year I will be a triathlon competitor and ended up talking half of my co-workers at the hospital into signing up too!

Family Status-  single no children.

Current training  plan - I'm using the BT 20 week sprint focus on running program.  My race is canoe 6 miles, run 5.5 miles, bike 18 miles.  So I am swimming, but on my free weight days I'm going to be using the row machine, and when It gets warmer I'll actually go row!

Races- I work in a cath lab so I participate in every American Heart race. I also do the race for a cure, but this year I'm going to do all the 5ks I can.  I have the flying pig 5 K coming up in a few weeks... I'm not a runner, but I'm going to try to at least appreciate it as good exercise!

Why I need a mentor-  I really need someone to help me stay focused and not get down on myself when I can't do it all!!!  I tend to make excuses and stop trying when I fall off the exercise  wagon... so if I know someone out there is pulling for me it may just make me keep trying!  I even logged my exercises in my training log!!!!       Laughing      

2010-04-18 8:44 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA
Hi, James.  I'd like to join this group.

NAME: ladlehaus/Tom

STORY: I'm 31, a high school English teacher, and a grad student. In high school, I was a three sport athlete (soccer, diving, and tennis), but I hurt my knee my senior year and gained 20 pounds and the freshmen 25 quickly followed.  I never really looked back.  I miss competing, and I'd like to get back into shape. Even though I've never considered myself an endurance athlete, but triathlons appeal to me for the variety.  After reading the My First Tri stories, I was hooked before I even started.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for ten years with a boy and a girl, 8 and 6.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm coming off the couch and working the 16 Week Sprint - 2x Balanced.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm working towards a few sprints in August starting with the Pittsburgh Triathlon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to lose 40 lbs or so.

Why I need a mentor: When I told my family I was going to run a triathlon, my wife told me I had to increase my life insurance.  My son said that he'd like to see that (the sarcasm doesn't come through the typing).  And my six-year-old daughter told me that she could beat me in a race.  It took two weeks of training before my wife realized I was serious, but she still thinks I'm going to drown in the river at the Pittsburgh Tri.  (To be fair to her, she did let me get a cheap road bike to replace the cheap mountain bike I was riding.)  I'm also really going into this blind, never having run, biked, or swam competitively since 8th grade track.
2010-04-18 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2800221

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Tom, welcome to the group! Please do not put to much into my typing or grammer skills on here! LOL  Just kidding, my wife teaches English at a local college in Memphis, so I am always leery about my grammer skills!

I think it is great that you are ready to dive into triathlons!  (Get it, dive in??) It is a very addictive sport! The family support will come when you get into your training, and there is nothing better than crossing the finish line and finding your family. They can be a real strength in your training and I am sure they will jump on board and maybe we can think of some ways to get them involved in your training!

2010-04-18 9:40 PM

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
Name:  Scott , username is sastuff.

Story:  Just trying to stay in shape.

Status:  Married, two kids (15 and 10) both very active and keep both of us at events outside of their school time.

Current Training:  Mostly biking but am focusing on running and swimming in preparation for tri events later this summer.

Weightloss:  I am currently not trying to lose any weight.

Why I would be easy to train: Just looking for motivation / inspiration. 
2010-04-18 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2800333

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Welcome to the group Scott! Looks like you have piled up some nice biking numbers so far this year! I have always thought that a good bike meant a good race. If the legs are shot after the bike, it doesn't really matter how good a runner you are!

I can also relate about haveing kids and all thier after school activities and I sometimes have trouble working in a workout! I look forward to working with you and seeing you compete in your triathlons.

2010-04-19 11:07 AM

Hey James and everybody!

I'm Xavier.

Story: I'm 25 yo, graduate student. I just started in endurance sports, so I have zero experience in swimming, biking and running. My background was mostly in bodybuilding, and few other sports (krav maga, gymnastics, etc). But a friend (strong bike athlete, former France's national team member) introduced me to the sport and I was hooked.

Family status:
single, no dependents.

Current training:
None. I've just started to develop a training plan that will fit my current schedule. But I'm doing gymnastics and weight training 3 times per week and kitesurfing on the weekends.

This year's races:
Signed up for the captextri in Austin, first triathlon distance. Planning on doing a couple of sprints and one oly this year.

Weightloss:
I need to lose a few pounds that I gained last year while doing voluntary work in Mexico.

Thanks for helping us!

-X

2010-04-19 11:15 AM

User image

New user

Hey James- I would love to join your group if you have room.

Name-Tiffani-Tip76

Story-I have been an avid runner for the past 2 years.  I have done several 5k, and 10k's, and I have done 2 1/2 marathons since 12/2009.  I strength train twice a week with a personal trainer and I am wanting to broaden my activities.  I love to swim and bike ride, but don't do enough of it.  I have lost over 180lbs. since 2007 and have made a commitment to be healthy, stay healthy, and to push myself beyond my comfort zone and limits.  I think this would be a great next step.

Weight Loss-Not really trying to lose anymore weight, want to work on being tone and solid.

Thank you,

Tiffani
2010-04-19 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2801308

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
X, welcome!

Glad to see you jumping into the sport of triathlons! We can defintely find a training schedule to help yuou achieve your goal of finishing that first triathlon! It can be addictove, but it is well worth the effort we put in to it. I started out doin indoor tris and sprint my first year. There is alot to be learned in your first race, and hopefully I can help guide you through it.

I would ask that you be sure and log your workouts on here so I can review and give any tips that might help!

Again, welcome to the group!

2010-04-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2801344

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome Tiffani!

Congrats on the loss of 180lbs! That right there tells me that you are a goal focused person and that  a triathlon might be right up your alley! Alot of triathletes start out as runners before coming over to the three sport world, myself included. It can be hard finding the time and the way to balance all three disciplines of triathlin, but I am sure we can find a training plan to help you achieve your goals, and I will push you out of your comfort zone!  lol

welcome again!
2010-04-19 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I am planning on keeping the group open for a few more days. I would like to have between 8-10 people in the group, currently we have 7 triathletes in training in our group! I am looking forward to working with each of you and hoping that you all become friends and continue to support each other in the future!
2010-04-19 3:15 PM

Hello James-  If there is still room I would like to join the group. 

I am a 33 year old prosecuting attorney and mother of two boys-ages 4 and 5 months.  About 2 years ago I began seriously working out and in the beginning of 2009 I decided to start training for a figure competition. That plan was set aside when I became pregnant with my second son.  I had planned on working out during my pregnancy but became very sick and was put on bed rest.  In addition, my family had a sudden move across the country that is not complete yet.  All this is to say, I have become very out of shape and am in a very stressful position currently.  I knew I had to get back to the gym in order to keep my sanity as we continue this journey.  I have always been interested in triathalons and in college participated in triathalon training, but never took part in a triathalon.  Due to the issues over the last year, I am starting from the bottom.  I currently do cardio 3 days/week and strength train two.  I am determined to finish what I started so many years ago.
2010-04-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2802191

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Roldfiel, we have room!  Welcome to the group!

Sounds like you have a very busy schedule with 2 youngs children and a hectic job! We can definately work together and find a plan to get you across that finish line! But, I should warn you that once you complete your first race, you will be hooked and ready for the next one! It also sounds like this will be a good way to relieve some of the stresses you have going on right now!

I look forward to working with you!
2010-04-19 6:19 PM

HI James,

Do you still have any room for a southamerican triathlete. My name is Marco I am a Civil Engineer and I want to finish an Olympic triathlon this year.

I have always like sports; Kung fu, Mountain Bike and runnning. That´s why this year I started swimming as well. The season start in october here in Chile, and I have this months to lose weight and strenghten my body.

Unfortunately, I got a knee injury 3 weeks ago, and I had to stop running and biking. But it is getting better.

Well, I would really like to join your group.

2010-04-19 9:44 PM

User image

South Florida
Subject: Would love to Join!
Hi James! room for 1 more?

Name is Raul, 33, MD, married 3 kids (4 y/o daughter and 2.5 y/o twin boys), not a lot of time to train but managed to do the ING Miami half marathon last year and this one, did a Sprint Tri last year and just finished one this past weekend.

I have background in soccer but injured my knee 4 yrs ago, had ACL surgery done stopped doing exercise for at least 2 yrs, last year my brother persuaded me to start over and ran my first half marathon, thats when I realized  running long distances was too boring for me and decided to give it a tri! Started swimming, bought a used road bike and completed the first Sprint Tri last year, but despite that my training was inconsistent, I this year's half marathon and last weekend's sprint with minimal training and discipline, that's why a need a mentor.

My current plan is to at least do 2 more Sprints during the summer and hopefully my first Olympic in Sept, looking to upgrade to the Silver program in order to have access to a more structured training plan, taking this week for rest so open for suggestions!

Raul
2010-04-19 10:39 PM

New user

Central Pennsylvania
Hey James. I would love to join your group if you still have room.

NAME: Taylor - taylorpsu

STORY: I am only 18 and I have just decided that I want to do a triathlon. I have played soccer for about 10 years and I ran track during high school. Now I am running, doing martial arts, and aerobic dance. My dad is determined to do a marathon and I'm trying to support him. 

FAMILY STATUS: I am not married and do not have a boyfriend currently so I'm free as a bird.

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to run every day but I don't have a set schedule which I think would help me a lot more. Martial arts also helps keep me fit, flexible, and balanced. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I currently do not have plans to participate in any races but if I'm ready I wouldn't mind finding one near my home.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose 30lbs but if I lose fat and gain muscle I don't care how much I weigh.
2010-04-20 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2802667

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Welcome Marco!

Seems like we re getting a lot of martial artists in this group! Sorry to hear about your knee, rehab can be a pain sometimes. You might want to amp up your swimmming and work on some auqa jogging while you are healing.

Also there are plenty of tris out there that focus on Mtn biking which might be up your alley!

2010-04-20 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2803162

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Would love to Join!

Welcome Raul! OSUnds like you already have a good base for triathlons! Rest and recovery is such a big part of training, that most people overlook it and feel that they shoud be S/B/R everyday! It is also diffucult to find the time to train with small children, I have a 15 month old myself.

I am sure we can find you some plans and help you stick with it so we can have you ready for your Olympic triahlon!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10