BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-04-09 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: BHannahs's Group - FULL!

Hi - my name is Brian and my BT screen name is bhannahs.  I live in Arizona and have been involved in triathlon since 2006.  I have found the sport to be a healthy and fun way to get and stay in shape, make new friends, and be part of a great community - here on BT as well as locally.  I am married with no children, but I still face the all too common challenge of balancing training with work and other life obligations.

My current training generally averages about 6-8 hours per week, with a good balance between S/B/R.  It has scaled back a great deal since last season since my goal races and distances have changed.

Last year I was able to accomplish what, for me, was a substantial goal.  I completed Ironman Arizona in November.  My other races last year were a mix of sprints, Olympics, and a 70.3.  Doing shorter races this year accounts for the reduction in training volume for 2010.

Although last year was my 'big' year, I have some good events on this year's calendar.  I will be doing the Alcatraz Triathlon in August and the Silverman 1/2 in November, as well as a few other races.

Through triathlon, I have been able to get in better shape and get healthier.  Although I re-gained some of the weight that I lost through my Ironman training over the winter, I came very close to my goal of falling under the Clydesdale threshold last year for the first time in 10 years. 

I feel that I would be a good mentor for several reasons.  I am on the forums frequently, log my training daily, and tend to leave a lot of inspires for friends as well as people who seem to need a word of encouragement.   I try to be a positive influence on others in the forums.  In addition, I have been involved for several years now and have had the opportunity to do a variety of races of different distances, so I can relate to a wide variety of athletes and goals.  As someone who felt a struggle to 'fit in' as a triathlete at first, I can put myself in the place of someone who is brand new and just finding their way.  I see the mentoring program as an opportunity to give back to the BT community as it has been one that has given so much to me.  I hope that I am able to particpate.  Thank you very much. 

Edited by BHannahs 2010-04-20 12:34 PM

2010-04-16 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2780242

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - OPEN

Hi Brain-
I am interested in joining your group.

NAME: Sterling – screen name utahrunner

STORY: 40 year old man living in southern utah.  Married with 3 kids (9,8 & 4) so training is also sporadic but I do get in 4-6 days a week pretty regularly.  Looking to got to 200lbs by the end of the year (currently 235).  I did 2 sprinter last year, and enjoy it so much I’m hooked.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have committed to myself to s/b/r   2x a week. I swam in high school and started back year ago and like the swim best,  just started biking last year and have enjoyed and seen the most improvement.  Run I just hate, but getting faster (10 minute mile). 

2010 RACES:
May – St. George Tri (sprint)
Jun – utah summer games (oly)
Sep – Kokopelli Tri (sprint)
Oct – St. George Marathon
          Pumkinman Tri  (oly or 1/2)

2011 Silver Man 1/2
2012 St. George Ironman

2010-04-16 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Welcome, Sterling!  I look forward to working with you.  You are right - it's easy to get hooked after a couple of sprints. I see Silverman on your calendar for next year.  I hear it's an incredible race - hopefully, I'll be able to share my experience this coming November with you as you prepare, from one Clyde to another!

Edited to add:  Looks like you are familar with the BBSC races - they do a GREAT job.  Pumpkinman is one of my favorites - I've done the Olympic twice!

Edited by BHannahs 2010-04-16 4:04 PM
2010-04-18 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Let's get a little more conversation going as we wait for some others to join in.  It looks like your next race is coming up in mid-May (SG Tri).  Do you have any goals set for the race?  Are you following a structured plan, or are you just doing training sessions as your schedule allows? 

2010-04-18 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
I am looking for someone to be able to work up a training plan to get me from a complete newbie, to a half ironman by the end of August.  I have a local pool that I can use most everyday, and I have a decent area to train on the bike and run.  Is this something you can work up, or am I asking too much.  I can swim 2 miles currently and can bike a century, but my running is my weakest link.  I am not fast, and my goal is not to win anything.  My goal is more fat loss, better shape physically, which will also make me mentally stronger.
2010-04-18 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Hey Brian, I would be interested in joining your group. My name is Dave (screen name dmwill37), I am 43 years old and have only begun my triathlon/duathlon journeys this year. I signed up for a race in May on January 1st in order to set a concrete goal for weight loss, I have since shed 25#, and am kind of stuck for the time being. I am not very good about logging my training, and have been logging my nutrition at http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/ where i have set a goal of 1.5# to 2# of weight loss per week. I will be the first to admitted that I need to get better to improve my training and weight loss, but sometimes life gets in the way.

I am specifically looking for a mentor to help hold me accountable for my training and nutrition, I also have a tendency to "let it slide" for a day or so, obviously not a good strategy, so a little group inspiration might be helpful. I have my race goals listed below, some completed, and some definite's and some maybes. I love the sport and training, the competition is awesome and drives me to get better, and the training makes me feel better than i have in years. When i started this i said i just wanted to finish vertically, but to be honest with you, thats not good enough any more, I want to get fitter, lighter, faster and better!

My current training schedule is pretty standard, but i have to maintain some flexibility due to our wonderful spring weather (85 on Friday afternoon  then 38 Saturday AM!!!!!). I have been increasing my run distances by about 1/2 to 1 mile every 2 to 3 weeks, and usually switch up swimming distances depending on time i can get in the pool. The bike is the easiest to stay constant so i usually get 25 to 25 miles during the week and then longer group rides with my multisport team on the weekends. I have an excel spreadsheet that i keep my workouts listed in, along with distances, times, miles etc. If you want to see it I will happily send it to you so you can determine what i may do better. 

Swim - M,T, R (1000 yds minimum, 2000 yds max)
Bike - T, R, Sa (25 mile minimum, 45 to 55 miles on weekend)
Run - M,W,Sn (currently running 4 to 4.5 miles per run)
Weights - M,W,F (I do a lighter and shorter circuit training routine on M & F, the a little longer on W. all days include more intense core work)
Core and Stretching - I do some type of stretching or core work daily. helps me relax, gets the blood flowing and keeps me sane. 

2010 Race Goals -
68's sports inside triathlon - 1:00.41 (500yd swim - 10 mile bike - 3 mile run) 28th out of 44
Olathe 5k - 30.29 
Gods Country Off Road Duathlon - 2:04.36 (2mile trail run - 12 mile mountain bike - 2 mile trail run) placed 2nd in Clydesdale cat
KC Triathlon (sprint) - May (definite - paid)
Topeka Tinman (Olympic) - June (maybe
Midwest Mayhem (Olympic) - July (definite - paid)
Midwest Meltdown (sprint) - August (maybe)
Redman Triathlon (half Iron man) - September (definite - paid)

I look forward to hearing from you, and working with you and the group.  

2010-04-18 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2799196

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

flip18436572 - 2010-04-18 5:56 AM I am looking for someone to be able to work up a training plan to get me from a complete newbie, to a half ironman by the end of August.  I have a local pool that I can use most everyday, and I have a decent area to train on the bike and run.  Is this something you can work up, or am I asking too much.  I can swim 2 miles currently and can bike a century, but my running is my weakest link.  I am not fast, and my goal is not to win anything.  My goal is more fat loss, better shape physically, which will also make me mentally stronger.

Hello, and welcome!  Even though four months is a short timeframe to prepare for a 1/2 IM, it sounds like you have a very strong base to work from (at least in swimming and biking), so the goal strikes me as reasonable.  Do you have a race picked out?  The goal is especially manageable considering your desire looks to be finish rather than a defined time goal (which is what I always recommend for the first attempt at a new distance).  Four months is a long enough timeframe to bring your run up to where you want it, considering your starting point of overall fitness. 

Even though I am not a coach, and therefore wouldn't be the best source of a training plan, I think I can steer you in the right direction.   There are plans available on BT for 1/2 IM distance, and they can be imported directly into your training log.  If you don't see a free plan you like, you might consider one of the memberships - they include additional structured plans to select from.  I can also recommend a book - Training Plans for Multisport Athletes, by Gale Bernhardt.  I used one of her plans to prepare for Ironman Arizona last November and it worked very well for me. 

Training for your 70.3 will definitely assist you with achieving your other goals of fat loss and physical and mental shape improvement.  I have found nothing better than setting and reaching tri related goals to help me feel in the best shape of my life and that I can conquer anything that life throws at me. 

I'll keep track of your training and help you along in any way that I can.  Ask plenty of questions, both on this thread as well as the other forums - BT is a huge wealth of information and there are fantastic, helpful people who can answer questions on nearly any topic imaginable. 

Once again, welcome to the mentor group - we'll all help one another reach our goals this summer!

2010-04-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2799231

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-04-18 6:28 AM Hey Brian, I would be interested in joining your group. My name is Dave (screen name dmwill37), I am 43 years old and have only begun my triathlon/duathlon journeys this year. I signed up for a race in May on January 1st in order to set a concrete goal for weight loss, I have since shed 25#, and am kind of stuck for the time being. I am not very good about logging my training, and have been logging my nutrition at http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/ where i have set a goal of 1.5# to 2# of weight loss per week. I will be the first to admitted that I need to get better to improve my training and weight loss, but sometimes life gets in the way.

I am specifically looking for a mentor to help hold me accountable for my training and nutrition, I also have a tendency to "let it slide" for a day or so, obviously not a good strategy, so a little group inspiration might be helpful. I have my race goals listed below, some completed, and some definite's and some maybes. I love the sport and training, the competition is awesome and drives me to get better, and the training makes me feel better than i have in years. When i started this i said i just wanted to finish vertically, but to be honest with you, thats not good enough any more, I want to get fitter, lighter, faster and better!

My current training schedule is pretty standard, but i have to maintain some flexibility due to our wonderful spring weather (85 on Friday afternoon  then 38 Saturday AM!!!!!). I have been increasing my run distances by about 1/2 to 1 mile every 2 to 3 weeks, and usually switch up swimming distances depending on time i can get in the pool. The bike is the easiest to stay constant so i usually get 25 to 25 miles during the week and then longer group rides with my multisport team on the weekends. I have an excel spreadsheet that i keep my workouts listed in, along with distances, times, miles etc. If you want to see it I will happily send it to you so you can determine what i may do better. 

Swim - M,T, R (1000 yds minimum, 2000 yds max)
Bike - T, R, Sa (25 mile minimum, 45 to 55 miles on weekend)
Run - M,W,Sn (currently running 4 to 4.5 miles per run)
Weights - M,W,F (I do a lighter and shorter circuit training routine on M & F, the a little longer on W. all days include more intense core work)
Core and Stretching - I do some type of stretching or core work daily. helps me relax, gets the blood flowing and keeps me sane. 

2010 Race Goals -
68's sports inside triathlon - 1:00.41 (500yd swim - 10 mile bike - 3 mile run) 28th out of 44
Olathe 5k - 30.29 
Gods Country Off Road Duathlon - 2:04.36 (2mile trail run - 12 mile mountain bike - 2 mile trail run) placed 2nd in Clydesdale cat
KC Triathlon (sprint) - May (definite - paid)
Topeka Tinman (Olympic) - June (maybe
Midwest Mayhem (Olympic) - July (definite - paid)
Midwest Meltdown (sprint) - August (maybe)
Redman Triathlon (half Iron man) - September (definite - paid)

I look forward to hearing from you, and working with you and the group.  

Hi, Dave!  Welcome!  Great to hear from a fellow Clydesdale and a huge congratulations on your podium finish in your duathlon!!

From what you have written, it sounds like your training is going very well.  I also really like how you have your races scheduled with a steady build toward Redman.  You are already well on your way to getting there with your long bike distances and swim sessions.  Now to September is plenty of time to gradually (and I emphasize gradually - us larger athletes especially run the risk of injury if we try to increase our run distances too quickly) build your run distances to get into that 10-15 mile range for a long run.   Your rate of increasing 1/2 - 1 mile every two weeks is ideal - right on target.

I undestand your transition from 'just finish' to 'want to do better'.  I went through the same thing my first couple of years. Once you see that you can complete the distance, you want a new goal and improvement becomes the benchmark.  Even though you seem to have a pretty good handle on things, it sounds like you want a group to serve as a 'collective conscience' to keep you on track.  Good news - you have come to the right place!  Within our group, we'll track each other's training and inspire one another.  Over the years, I have found that logging my training on BT and knowing that my friends would be checking in daily has been an incredible way to remain consistent.  I look forward to logging every training session so that when someone looks, they can see what I did that day.  It's been very effective for me.  Even though you track elsewhere, I encourage you to log here.  It will allow the group to see your training and encourage you.  It also will help me to answer questions you might have about training, as well as assist people with answering your questions on other forums if your questions are outside the scope of my experience. 

I'm excited to have you as part of the group - once again, welcome!!

2010-04-18 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Just wanted to start a list so that everyone in the group can add the other members as friends on your training logs.  This will allow us to follow each other's training and inspire one another.  So far...

bhannahs

utahrunner

flip18436572

dmwill37

2010-04-18 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
My problem is that I don't have anything in my training logs as I don't spend much time on-line, and haven't been on here in weeks.  I guess I can get on here and start doing a training log here.  I will see what I can do to improve.   I don't use this other than usually looking at posts anymore.  I used to post a lot, but I don't get on-line a lot.
2010-04-18 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2799553

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

flip18436572 - 2010-04-18 10:49 AM My problem is that I don't have anything in my training logs as I don't spend much time on-line, and haven't been on here in weeks.  I guess I can get on here and start doing a training log here.  I will see what I can do to improve.   I don't use this other than usually looking at posts anymore.  I used to post a lot, but I don't get on-line a lot.

Logging your workouts here isn't a necessity, but it is helpful for a couple of reasons:

1)  It gives a basis for others to give feedback when you have questions, or just to encourage you.  I find the logs to be a great motivator.

2)  It lets you look back to analyze your progress - not only for totals, but trending as well

If you can't get online often, you could write your training down and enter it when you get a chance to online - just a thought...

2010-04-18 9:19 PM

My name is Erica. I just started trainning for a tri in June as well as August However there is an obsticle I am facing I dislocated my shoulder a few years back and when I swim it kills me also I used to play soccer as a young child and have sustained a knee injury that has stuck with me so I need tips on tainning with such injuries and any advice will help. Im really excited to get into this workout out and be able to do more
2010-04-19 7:43 AM

User image

New user

Southeast Coast
My name is Susan and I just completed my first sprint tri yesterday.  The open water swim nearly killed me and I am a swimmer.  I just need help Tongue out!  Please let me know if you still have space.
2010-04-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2800303

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Jax32709 - 2010-04-18 7:19 PM My name is Erica. I just started trainning for a tri in June as well as August However there is an obsticle I am facing I dislocated my shoulder a few years back and when I swim it kills me also I used to play soccer as a young child and have sustained a knee injury that has stuck with me so I need tips on tainning with such injuries and any advice will help. Im really excited to get into this workout out and be able to do more

Hi, Erica, and welcome!  Before I say anything else, I wanted to recommend that you see a doctor to discuss your injuries, if you haven't already.  It is important that you are able to determine the difference between training through pain and discomfort and doing further damage.  That said, there may be a couple of things that you can do to minizmize the impact that your injuries have on your training. 

With your swimming, is your shoulder injury troublesome with freestyle only, or with all strokes?  Freestyle is the fastest way to get through the water, but if swimming breast stroke or back stroke is more comfortable, you might consider doing one of them instead.  As far as your knee injury goes, is it painful constantly?  Every time you run?  Building distance and speed slowly is the most effective way to avoid and/or lessen the aggravation of an injury.  There are also some run methods that many people have recommended that may be effective for you - POSE, Galloway, and Chirunning.  You can do a search on BT or on google to find more information about these methiods.  Proponents of these running styles believe that they are able to run further with less injury by using them.  By trying them, you might find one that allows you to run with less or no pain. 

Please provide some additonal information, and maybe I can direct you further.  I would love to hear that you are able to continue training for your goal races.  Welcome to the group!    

2010-04-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2800697

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

poolgirl1963 - 2010-04-19 5:43 AM My name is Susan and I just completed my first sprint tri yesterday.  The open water swim nearly killed me and I am a swimmer.  I just need help Tongue out!  Please let me know if you still have space.

Hi, Susan, and welcome!!  I hope that the rest of your event went well after you got out of the water.  You are here, so that at least indicates that you're hooked enough to keep trying! 

You certainly are not the first experienced swimmer who has had trouble in open water, so you have plenty of good company.  Personally, I struggled with open water for a long time before I was comfortable - my comfort in the pool just wouldn't translate to my open water events.  What, specifically, gave you trouble?  If you can tell me what you were feeling and experiencing, I can give you some specific tips that helped me.  In all cases, however, open water practice as often as possible is a good approach.  Looking forward to hearing more about it.  Welcome to the group!!  

2010-04-19 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2799133

User image

Veteran
Ya. SG Tri is four week away.  I did a tri - utah summer games last year (my first OWS) in June that I was told is the same exact course as SG Tri.  That was a learning experience.  First off, I started training in April and it was just training once a week in all three area.  I got myself up to 000 yd swim straight without stoping and I could do a 4 X 100 @ 1:45 interval (I was coming in about 1:35).  I got my road bike in april and put in about 10 mile a week and all my run was on the treadmill about 2 to 3 mile at a time. 
So about two week before the race I got myself a wetsuit.  Never practice using it, just shower with it couple of time and walk around the house to make sure it fit.  Drove out to the course look at the hills (told myself it was doable).
Day of the race thinking that I could swim I stay at the front.  Gun what off and I was up with the big boys for 300 meter, than I started to get tired the wetsuit started to squeeze my chest, so I couldn't breath. So I stop half way, did breastroke the rest of the swim and just hanged on to the finish. Got to the bike and I went for it again and burnt all of my matches on the hills and trying to keep up with a skinny kid.  My run - the leg was all jello, kept telling pushing myself.  I finished in 1:45:00, I had told myself 1:30:00.  The sad part was I really didn't know how to do the race. It a sprint distance, so I sprint.  What a learning experience.
With that said I'm hoping to break 1:30:00, I'm keeping with my commitment of 2x a week (most of the time)on all three.  I have swam with my wetsuit twice all ready and hoping I'll get 4 more before the race.  The swim it self I got my endurance and much faster than last year  I just did the bike course last week (4/13) and it was the fist time I kept up with my tri club group (last year I was last in the pack).  The run I'm hoping to average a 10 minute mile or better.
I have no structured plan other than try to go faster, hold long pace, or ride a harder gear that the workout before.  The distance is a 750 meter, 14 mile, 5K.

2010-04-19 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2801180

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

utahrunner - 2010-04-19 8:33 AM Ya. SG Tri is four week away.  I did a tri - utah summer games last year (my first OWS) in June that I was told is the same exact course as SG Tri.  That was a learning experience.  First off, I started training in April and it was just training once a week in all three area.  I got myself up to 000 yd swim straight without stoping and I could do a 4 X 100 @ 1:45 interval (I was coming in about 1:35).  I got my road bike in april and put in about 10 mile a week and all my run was on the treadmill about 2 to 3 mile at a time. 
So about two week before the race I got myself a wetsuit.  Never practice using it, just shower with it couple of time and walk around the house to make sure it fit.  Drove out to the course look at the hills (told myself it was doable).
Day of the race thinking that I could swim I stay at the front.  Gun what off and I was up with the big boys for 300 meter, than I started to get tired the wetsuit started to squeeze my chest, so I couldn't breath. So I stop half way, did breastroke the rest of the swim and just hanged on to the finish. Got to the bike and I went for it again and burnt all of my matches on the hills and trying to keep up with a skinny kid.  My run - the leg was all jello, kept telling pushing myself.  I finished in 1:45:00, I had told myself 1:30:00.  The sad part was I really didn't know how to do the race. It a sprint distance, so I sprint.  What a learning experience.
With that said I'm hoping to break 1:30:00, I'm keeping with my commitment of 2x a week (most of the time)on all three.  I have swam with my wetsuit twice all ready and hoping I'll get 4 more before the race.  The swim it self I got my endurance and much faster than last year  I just did the bike course last week (4/13) and it was the fist time I kept up with my tri club group (last year I was last in the pack).  The run I'm hoping to average a 10 minute mile or better.
I have no structured plan other than try to go faster, hold long pace, or ride a harder gear that the workout before.  The distance is a 750 meter, 14 mile, 5K.

Every race is an experience, isn't it?!?  I think I have learned something new in every race I have ever done!  It's tough to set a time goal the first time out - you don't know what to expect.  Like you, I remember vividly something that I learned in my first race - your first tri is not the best time to do your first open water swim.  I freaked out at the opening gun and it was a STRUGGLE!    Getting used to the wetsuit can take a little practice, but it sounds like you have a good plan of attack now.  Also, upping your sessions to 2x/week for each sport will pay huge benefits.  You also have made a great decision to preview the bike course by riding it.  You'll know where to push the pace and where you'll need to conserve.  It sounds like you're setting yourself up for a much better experience the second time out.  You don't need a structured plan to be successful - just running, riding, and swimming as often as you are able can get it done.  It can be a long process, but you will see improvement over time.  Can't wait to see how you do on the same course this year!

2010-04-19 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Just wanted to share something with the group.  Last week we had Matt Lieto do a Q & A for our tri club (he is here for the St. George Ironman). Great guys!  One of the question that was asked (I know he is a professional and does this all everyday) how much more training would you have to do if you were to jump up from a HIM to a full ironman.  He said most if not all of his training is geared toward a HIM and he hardly ever look into doing the full distance during a workout.  And dont get to much into the distance, but more into the intensity of your training.  I to remember "its just one day".  I like that saying as thats the one fear I have with the sport the distance.
2010-04-19 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2801312

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

utahrunner - 2010-04-19 9:07 AM Just wanted to share something with the group.  Last week we had Matt Lieto do a Q & A for our tri club (he is here for the St. George Ironman). Great guys!  One of the question that was asked (I know he is a professional and does this all everyday) how much more training would you have to do if you were to jump up from a HIM to a full ironman.  He said most if not all of his training is geared toward a HIM and he hardly ever look into doing the full distance during a workout.  And dont get to much into the distance, but more into the intensity of your training.  I to remember "its just one day".  I like that saying as thats the one fear I have with the sport the distance.

Very true.  I have been a little bit afraid each time I have tried a new distance.  Everyone is different, but I always like to do each distance (or close to it) in training at least once during training - just not together on the same day.  This removes some of the fear for me, and takes some of the mystique out of that particular distance.  But I am also living proof that you don't NEED to put in 20 hours/week of training to complete any distance, including IM.  My plan maxed out at a little over 13 hours in my biggest week.  The caveat here is that I just wanted to finish - anything under the cutoff was just icing on the cake.  Those that want to finish at a particular place in their age group or are chasing a slot for Kona would likely have a different approach.  It's also true that moderating intensity during training sessions is a good way to improve - throwing in some intervals at higher intensities has helped me to get better training sessions out of less time. 

2010-04-19 1:55 PM

User image

Regular
Hi!  I'm Carly and I am considering actually trying to train for a triathlon.  I was a Div I scholarship distance freestyler in college, I've recently fell in love with spinning, and I hate running!  I know that there are some challenges ahead of me in switching over from spinning to cycling, mainly buying a bike, but if I can get the running training started and decide this really is something I want to pursue, I'm willing to fork over the cash for a tri bike and other gear. 

I'm currently overweight, and staring down my first plateau after busting through the obese level of BMI.  I've been on a weightloss mission for the last 4-6 months.  Started slowly working out in November, continued to step it up a notch in January with a calorie counting diet and now need a reason to kick it up a notch. 

I'm probably going to try and do a sprint triathlon this year, when I'm ready, no crazy timeframe goals, just want to go at a reasonable pace and make sure I'm committed to this.  The main motivation, a good friend of mine ran the Boston marathon today, and figured if he can do a marathon, I can do a sprint tri.  I won't be looking to win, just finish and be in good shape!

Thanks,
Carly
2010-04-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2801904

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

DaisyzMom - 2010-04-19 11:55 AM Hi!  I'm Carly and I am considering actually trying to train for a triathlon.  I was a Div I scholarship distance freestyler in college, I've recently fell in love with spinning, and I hate running!  I know that there are some challenges ahead of me in switching over from spinning to cycling, mainly buying a bike, but if I can get the running training started and decide this really is something I want to pursue, I'm willing to fork over the cash for a tri bike and other gear. 

I'm currently overweight, and staring down my first plateau after busting through the obese level of BMI.  I've been on a weightloss mission for the last 4-6 months.  Started slowly working out in November, continued to step it up a notch in January with a calorie counting diet and now need a reason to kick it up a notch. 

I'm probably going to try and do a sprint triathlon this year, when I'm ready, no crazy timeframe goals, just want to go at a reasonable pace and make sure I'm committed to this.  The main motivation, a good friend of mine ran the Boston marathon today, and figured if he can do a marathon, I can do a sprint tri.  I won't be looking to win, just finish and be in good shape!

Thanks,
Carly

Hi, Carly, and welcome!  Doing a sprint this year is definitely doable based on what you have written.  And don't think that you need a tri bike or anything fancy when you are just starting out.  For a first sprint, any bike that you can ride safely will do.  Your spin classes ahve gotten you started on getting some bike fitness, but it would be helpful to find a real bike and get out on the road for some practice.  If you have an old bike collecting dust in the garage, take it into a shop and have it checked for safety.  If you don't have one at all, start looking at garage sales, Craigslist, or other classifieds.  Once you have done a sprint or two and decide that you really enjoy tris, then you can start shopping around for a bigger investment (and believe me - it has happened to a lot of us once we get hooked)!

Start slowly with the running, if you haven't already.  Walk a little and run a little, trying to run a little more each time out.  You'll find your running distances increasing each week, and if you take it slowly, you should be able to make moderate increases without getting hurt (a general rule of thumb is the 10% rule - don't add more than 10% to your time or distance each week). 

Keep checking in with your progress and any questions you have as you get going. Welcome to the group!!

2010-04-19 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Updated group list...

bhannahs

utahrunner

flip18436572

dmwill37

Jax32709

poolgirl1963

daisyzmom

2010-04-19 7:10 PM

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires
Hi Brian, hope there is still some space left. My name is Fernando (BT screen name fernando73), i'm 37 years old and just recently started an excercise routine.

I have not been constant in my excercises, have to lose some weight (still need to lose about 40 pounds), but I'm hyped about doing this and getting ready for a sprint tri. I completed the couch to 5K in February, and last weekend I rode my bike for 75 miles (day 2 of the event was cancelled due to weather) in the MS150 in south florida.

I'm married (9 years already), and have a boy of 6. I quit smoking in November, plan on losing the remaining pounds and getting fit so I can be a model for him.

As I sort of mentioned, my issue is always consistency, and that's why I think this kind of program will help me stay on course.

There's a sprint tri in the Miami area in early June, and although I would like to participate in it, I'm not sure what plan to follow and if its reasonable time to get ready given my lack of experience.

Thanks,
Fernando
2010-04-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2802795

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

fernando73 - 2010-04-19 5:10 PM Hi Brian, hope there is still some space left. My name is Fernando (BT screen name fernando73), i'm 37 years old and just recently started an excercise routine.

I have not been constant in my excercises, have to lose some weight (still need to lose about 40 pounds), but I'm hyped about doing this and getting ready for a sprint tri. I completed the couch to 5K in February, and last weekend I rode my bike for 75 miles (day 2 of the event was cancelled due to weather) in the MS150 in south florida.

I'm married (9 years already), and have a boy of 6. I quit smoking in November, plan on losing the remaining pounds and getting fit so I can be a model for him.

As I sort of mentioned, my issue is always consistency, and that's why I think this kind of program will help me stay on course.

There's a sprint tri in the Miami area in early June, and although I would like to participate in it, I'm not sure what plan to follow and if its reasonable time to get ready given my lack of experience.

Thanks,
Fernando

Hi, Fernando, and welcome to the group!  Congratulations on all of these positive changes.  We'll do everything we can to help you get ready for June.  It sounds like you already have the bike endurance down!  Being part of our group will help you with consistency.  The group members will be listed as friends in your training log (look at the next post for instructions for how to add people to your friends list) and we'll be checking in to leave you 'inspires'.  I have found that knowing people will be checking in helps to motivate me to be consistent.  So, have you started a swim or run program?  Given that your target race is in June, I hope that you have begun to swim and run.  Let us know where you are and we'll get you going from there. 

Once again, we're glad to have you aboard!

2010-04-19 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Someone asked the pertinent question regarding how to add people to your friends list.  Here are instructions.  I hope that you'll all add each other to your list...

From your training log page, click on settings at the top.  Click the tab for training log customization.  You will then see a friends tab.  When you click on it, you'll open a list.  You can enter the screen names in the blanks.  Then you click on update friends at the bottom and they will appear on your training log.  Let me know if you have any trouble.  Thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21