United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 38s
Overall Rank = 106/145
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 21/28
Pre-race routine:

I feel like I did good this time. I had all the stuff I wanted... two towels, my watch, my headset, sunscreen, bodyglide, plenty of water, goo to eat, sunglasses, hat, a new bike jersey..
Event warmup:

I was in the 75% overall for my age group, 73% for all women. I was 365/385 total participants but who cares about the guys (not me)? I was 315/385 overall, which was 82%
Swim
  • 17m 9s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt like this was my first open water swim, for real. I feel that I did very good at it and I am happy with my result.
What would you do differently?:

I think I am going to race in my age group next time. I don't think I like to start in the last wave anymore... I want the chance to compete against more people, instead of having to worry about coming in as a last finisher.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Overall, I think I did okay here. I was a little bit slow. One thing I did this time was I didn't wear my socks on the bike. I think that was a really good idea and I probably won't wear socks with my bike shoes ever again! I don't like Propel Fitness Water either. Gross.

Not drink Propel Fitness Water.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 22s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 16.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I was in the 68% of my age group and 64% overall. I am pretty happy with this outcome. I was 323/385 or 84% overall.
Transition 2
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

I thought the overall transition area was a little bit long. I also don't like where they put the timer things in terms of where the transition was. I mean I actually think I did my swim a minute faster than what will show up, and we had to walk our bikes a long way before being able to get on them.

Overall, I wouldn't mosey as much. There is a fine line between moseying and not getting into a panic. I haven't quite found it yet...
Run
  • 34m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I was tired at the start of the run, I think because I kicked so much ass on the bike. But I got better during the last half and stayed good. I also have to point out that I have been a slacker for the last month or so with my training and running in particular. So that might also be part of it.

I would train more. I would run more. I would run after biking more in training. I usually at least run a mile so my legs get used to it, and I can really tell a difference this year to last year. But I would do more of the 5k distances and not be a slacker. I would also try and incorporate running sprints into my 5ks, which I did not do this time.
Post race
Event comments:

I have wanted to do this race since 1999. I trained for it and didn't do it in 1999 and 2000. Then I didn't do anything until 2 years ago. I half-heartedly set this as a goal 2 years ago and then got serious last year. I finally, finally did this race. I am SO stoked about it. It is a psychological thing more than anything. I really feel like I am a triathlete now. This was my 3rd "real" tri and I am just totally proud of myself. What a day for me. I finally did it.

Last updated: 2005-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:09 | 750 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/28
Overall: 106/145
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR and shorts
Course: A 1/2 mile along the beach at Alum Creek. I was glad it wasn't out to the buoys and back... I felt safer.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:16
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:22 | 16.8 miles | 16.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/28
Overall: 93/145
Wind:
Course: I freaking KICKED ASS on this ride. I knew I was doing good too. I rode my racing bike like a pro. I had water. The hills were fine. I used my headset and no one said anything. I really like having my headset. I did sprints on my bike, which this is the first time I ever have done bike sprints in a race. I just felt like I was doing totally kick ass and I was.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:19 | 03.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/28
Overall: 110/145
Performance: Average
Course: Nice flat course. I enjoyed the course overall. I was in the 86% in my age group, 76% overall for women. I was 358/385 out of all competitors, which was in the 93%.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-26 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Wendy's triathlon

2005-06-26 4:06 PM
in reply to: #183796

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Wendy's triathlon
Great job and your right, get out of that beginner wave, your swim kicked butt. I love the tone of your report, you rocked and you know it!! When is your next race?

Way to Go Doc!!!

Ken
2005-06-26 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
New New York
Not to rain on your parade but do you have any idea what a dangerous situation you created by wearing a headset on the bike? It's idiotic and your lucky you didn't get DQed. I guess it's ok because nobody said anything though right? Only against the rules if you get caught I suppose.
2005-06-26 7:53 PM

glad you ahd a good time, I did the race also today but do not know my times yet - I will post them as soon as I can find them on the internet. This was my first one so I was just trying to survive - felt like an idiot using a city bike versus a road bike. It probably killed my overall time but maybe next year I will buy a better bike versus a target special. It looks like the race really got you motivated - good luck in the future.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wendy's triathlon Rss Feed