United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 39m 27s
Overall Rank = 393/499
Age Group = 12th
Age Group Rank = 12/12
Pre-race routine:

Ate 4 hours before the race. Got to lake at 7:15 for 9:15 start. Warmed up with a 30 minute ride and got in the water about 10 minute before. Stopped drinking 30 minutes prior to start and had a power bar at 8:30
Event warmup:

30 minutes on bike
Swim
  • 41m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was very comfortable temp. Some people swam without wetsuits. As I was zipping up, my zipper SNAPPED OFF and had to do the swim with it open. It acted like a parachute and really slowed me down. Thought about taking it off but that would have taken a while in the middle of the lake. Swam into 2 buoys trying to cut them as close as possible. Also, so much chop that I was getting seasick. Crazy!!
What would you do differently?:

Take dramamine. Have a better wetsuit. Open water swim is SO DIFFERENT from pool. Would get more time in the lake.
Transition 1
  • 07m 6s
Comments:

I tried to run to my bike but I was only able to walk. When I took off my wetsuit, I tried to do it stnading up and fell over. It stuck on one heel. After I got it all the way off, I sat for probably 5-6 minutes trying to get my bearings and trying not to throw up. Got my breathing under control, got my shoes on and off I went.

Goal was not to throw up. Mission accomplished!
Bike
  • 1h 38m 34s
  • 28 miles
  • 17.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Riding the course before hand was a definate advantage. I knew when the big climb was coming and got hydrated and ate and was ready. Passed about 20 people and then went screaming downhill

With hind sight being 20/20, I would have expended every bit of energy because I was so sore anyway, I couldn't run properly. Would have attacked on the rollers and on a few of the descents
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Very fast transition. I was looking for my family because my sons wanted to run with me. Got some water at aid station and away I went.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 09m 20s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I COULD NOT find my rhythum after the ride. I could only shuffle and if I tried to run in longer strides, I had an enourmous amount of pain in my hips, thighs and lower back. Was able to run just prior to the 4 mile marker but had a good pace after that. Got to finish with my 3 sons and that was really the highlight of the race.

Everything! Better shoes, more emphasis on running part of the tri. I really hate to run and I guess it shows. Almost all of my work was on a treadmill with just a few outdoor miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Short walk, locust-like eating in the finishing area

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was pretty mentally exhausted by the middle of the run. Strength wise I was ok but physically, I was in a lot of pain and weighed that against possibility of injury and just took it easy until my legs/back loosened up

Event comments:

This was the most poitive experience I could imagine. I crossed the finish line with my 3 sons only 29 minutes off the time I had hoped for. Well organized and staffed, I look forward to volunteering next year.

Last updated: 2005-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:41 | 1500 meters | 02m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 426/499
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: 7 buoys set up in a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:06
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:38:34 | 28 miles | 17.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/499
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, long descents and one climb. A beautiful course through the Descutes National Forest
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:09:20 | 10 kms | 06m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 401/499
Course: Mostly flat paved bike and walking path
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 5:11 PM

Regular
Sunriver, Oregon
Subject: Pacific Crest

2005-06-27 7:06 PM
in reply to: #184825

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest
Congrats on a great race. The run in olympics is so tough and you did great. Congrats and keep up the good work.

ken
2005-06-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: #184825

Subject: RE: Pacific Crest
I almost fell over after the swim too! No one warned me about the dizziness factor! Congratulations on finishing, especially after the suit problem. What a drag
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Rss Feed