United Kingdom
20F / -7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, could not get back to sleep, so i lay in bed till 5am until its time to get up and eat breakfast. Had oats and rasins, a banana, a coffee, water and a lucozade. Left home at 6.15 arrived at event at 7.20. Registered and off down to the beach with all my kit
Event warmup:

Oh Dear, I sure do feel nervous today, my 1st sea swim race and it looks loooonnngg !!! 750m but looked pretty bad to me, I am in wave 7, the last wave, which is for the quickest swimmers !! how the heck have i ended up in this wave ?? I am so intimidated !! I set up my kit, make small talk atthe bike racks with the guys around me, who all look like pro's. Down to the water 10 mins before the race and i am literally shacking with nerves. I kiss Mrs T goodbye and my dad wished me luck.

Got down to the water, waited until 5 mins before were off to get in, i dunk myself under and sit in the sea until its time to go, I then realise I am right at the front of the group ! PANIC !! So i force my way to the back to avoid drowning in the 1st 5 metres !
Swim
  • 19m 18s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Out to buoy, then swm right to 2nd buoy, then swim back in, the current was to the left so had to swim out strongly to the left ot get round the buoy, the back straight was easy as had the current with us, but the swim back in was terrible, goggles filled up with water, could not see anything, so had to keep looking up for 5 seconds at a time to see where i was going and the tide was going out so it was a hard slog, the swim b ack in seemed to take 15 mins alone, but i did not panic, i had my groove on and could have gone round again, i was buzzing with confidence. I was doing 15 strokes to every sight as the sighting was pretty useless anyway and i was zig zagging all over the place,
What would you do differently?:

New goggles needed as my eyelashes are touching the lense.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

My Dad got a great pic of my face coming up the ramp out of the sea, i was really out of it, could not see anything, eyes had just gone after standing up so suddenly, i staggered up the ramp, walked to the top then jogged to T1, took wetty off outside of T1 as it was grass but Transition was gravel, got told off, I used elastic laces on my bike shoes as i wear lace up MTB shoes, got them on eventually !!

nothing i could do differently really.
Bike
  • 38m 38s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.06 km/hr
Comments:

I cranked up the bike seriously as I thought i had lost loads of time on the in from the swim. It was an out and back x 2 course, 5 k out, 5 k back ,twice, which i enjoyed as i knew the course on the 2nd lap and where to push hard. I took on a gel at 4k and 16k and drank constantly.

I was motoring along, catching up guys constantly. I had a scare on a corner when it was a 90 degrees turn onto a main road and i braked too hard front and back, locked up and went sideways, released and yelped but stayed up right, the guy behind me commented nice skid as he overtook me as i had slowed right down. Dont worry, i had him in less than 400m though. At the turn around on the out the marshall was pointing in 2 directions as she was pointing to me to go left and pointing to some non racer cyclists on her right to wait for me to pass, unfortunately i took the right as i did not know where i was going, she shouted, i then stopped, not unclipping and toppled over only to just get my right foot out in time before contact with the tarmac!! I back up only having to catch up the same guy who i just took. Dont worry, i had him in 200m this time !!

As i went by him for the 3rd time he said eventful ride mate !

It was quite flat and out was with the wind and back was into it and up a slight hill.

I caught loads of riders who were in the waves before me and on their 2nd laps, so that meant i had made up over 20 mins on some people!

drive the route before, unfortunately i could not get to the race before race day but i try to drive the route normally
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

None, in and out, done !
Run
  • 21m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Check me out !! 5k, thats not a run, thats a few steps !! i boomed round this run, it was flat and with the wind behind me on the out and into it on the way back, i caught up several guys and gals and did my normal hows it going? your doing really well, keep going, nearly there, enjoy the race conversation with everyone, i should stop doing this as i am slowing down,

I knew this as a 5k run was really nothing to me and i should smash round in way under 25 mins, considering i have been doing races with 10k runs in them and i did not dissapont myself, At the 2.5k mark i eyed up the photographer and pulled some poses, cant wait to see them, at the 3k mark i stepped on the gas and charged home !

stop being so friendly to those i am about to overtake !
Post race
Warm down:

I was buzzing ! i was so high from doing this, especially how awful i was feeling before the swim! this felt like a proper race, and i now feel like i am a triathlete and not a pool bike run racer (not knocking that, its just how i felt myself) this was so much fun, i am buzzing now still and its some 11 hours since i finished !

What limited your ability to perform faster:

goggles, laces,

Event comments:

Brilliant race, the 1st time they have done it, i hope they do an oly next year, but if not then i am back for the sprint definately !

Last updated: 2010-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:18 | 750 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: 2Xu TO
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 10C / 50F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:38 | 20 kms | 31.06 km/hr
Wind: Tailwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:48 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-23 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Subject: Bexhill Triathlon

2010-05-23 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2876670

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Bexhill Triathlon
Dude, you killed the run!  Nice work all around...I wake up early and can't get back to sleep every time.  Love to see the pix when you get them...especially the ones coming out of the water...new avatar???  I got all motivated to race just reading your report!  Congrats Triathlete!
2010-05-23 8:34 PM

User image

T,
Great Job!!  Can't wait to see the photos.
Deb
2010-05-24 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job!! The sea swim would scare me. I'd love to do one some day.  I laughed at your bike leg.  Eventful ride for sure.  You KILLED the run.  Thanks for sharing!  Post pics when you can.
2010-05-24 9:47 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Congrats T!!! Awesome race.  Wish you had some video of that bike...or at least just you passing the same guy 3 times!!
2010-05-26 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Fantastic race!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bexhill Triathlon Rss Feed