Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Shepparton HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-30 8:12 PM

Subject: Shepparton HIM
Hi,

Is anyone else on here doing Shepp? It will be my first Half Ironman and am really looking forward to it. I'm doing a 24 week training plan and just aiming to finish. 
I'm glad I got in early to book my spot as it sold out very quickly!

2010-05-30 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2891416

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Shepparton HIM
I only just decided not to do the HIM but I'll do the hex.  I've been working on my distance running and core, and while I might be able to actually complete the HIM, I don't think it would at all enjoyable (yet). 

The hex course is almost exactly the same as the Half.  I've attached a google earth file of the hex route.

The swim goes the entire way around the lake (1.9km).
The cycle does 3 laps of the 30km route and is essentially flat.
Not quite sure if they simply do 3 laps for the run.

An interesting issue is that the lake is a small body of water and may actually be too warm for a wetsuit.  They take it's temp on the morning and work it out.  If it's too warm then you lose the buoyancy benefits of the suit which might affect your times.

Doug

Attachments
----------------
Shepparton Hex Google Earth.zip (31KB - 20 downloads)
2010-05-31 1:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Correct on the run course, 3 laps and like the bike it's all fairly flat, think the biggest hill is a pedestrian bridge over a river.

Last year was a non-wetsuit swim, I got to measure the water on the morning of the race last year and from memory it was 24 degrees air temp at 4.30am and 26 degrees in the coldest part of the lake we could find at that time.  The highest temp in the day only got up to around 32 from memory, the day before it had almost gotten to 40 degrees so the race was lucky not to be a day earlier, having raced in those conditions before it really hits you bad on the run, or shuffle/walk as was my case.  Hope your accomodation has air con as it didn't drop below 20 degrees the night before the race last year and trying to sleep with the air con off was not good.

Think you'll have a blast there, great club running it and they really do alot of the little things right which bigger race directors seem to miss, was definitely the best post race cool down and food area I've seen from the 4 HIM races I've been at previously.
2010-06-02 12:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Lyndhurst
Hi
I am doing the Hex at Shepp as well, figured HIM might be a bit ambitious this year.

Next year I'll be in for sure.

Luckily, my parents still live in Shepp, and I grew up there... so no organising accomodation.. and the live on Archer Road, which is where the bike route is. So that's pretty cool

Can't wait to see you guys there!
2010-06-21 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm doing Shep - also doing the shep race camp in Oct to go over the course. My first Half too. 
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Shepparton HIM Rss Feed