General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-08-25 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
Subject: Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All.
Greetings All,

I am a beginner Triathlete.  Why, when I say that does it sound like the beginnings of some therapy session?   Truth be told, it may just be.  I have seriously caught the Triathlon Bug.  And it could not have happened at a worse time!  My wife and I are expecting our second child, a baby girl, one week from today.  We are so very happy and excited (we have a 3 year old son) about her arrival.  With this excitement, however, comes a little sense of (selfish?) sadness.  The sadness of not having enough hours in the day to do all that I want.  I ran my first Triathlon this July.  Quickly signed up for another in August.  Have two more on the schedule for September and October.  And through it all am trying feverishly to find time to train and time to gel with my rapidly expanding family.

Of course, this is nothing new.  Athletes (even the slow pudgy kind) have been trying to juggle these pressures for as long as organized sports have been around.  I wanted to share and hopefully hear from you all about your experiences balancing these very important areas of your own life. 

As a 30 year old with a hellish commute into NYC, my time is seriously constrained by my job, my other job (part time teacher), volunteer positions, my wife, my son, soon to be my daughter and my own race training.  When I began this adventure (doing Tri's) I steeled myself in the notion that I would not sacrifice precious time with my son at the end of the day for training.  So we have dinner, I put him to bed and then hit the gym around 9:00 pm.  On weekends I train very early, sun-up to about 8 or 9 am and then head home when my wife and son are usually getting up.  These are my strategies and they seem to work pretty well for me.  However they do limit more serious training but maybe that is just not in the cards right now.

Fortunately, I have a very supportive wife who, as long as I make the effort to reduce her inconveniences (workout late at night or very early in the morning and then help out afterwards ala not zonk out on the couch when I'm done), supports my training.

Anyway, this is my story and I'm sticking to it.  I'd really like to hear your stories and or ideas on the topic!

Thanks,

J

2010-08-25 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3062616

User image

Veteran
Northwest Pa
Subject: RE: Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All.
Look at what you can cut out, training only gets crazier the more you get into it. What volunteer positions do you have? Trust me, patience diminishes after a couple of years of this.... That said, this sport makes you healthier, happier, and is cheaper than a shrink (might actually cause greater need of one in the end, ie, hello ocd, but ....). Great job on your first and keep it up!
2010-08-25 8:28 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All.

Congrats on the growing family!  You are going to have a tough time finding time to train for the upcoming future.  Keep your base up for your upcoming tris, but I doubt you will have time to seriously train.  You will quickly find that two young kids are expoentially more demanding than one, and your darling wife will need your help.  My oldest was 22 months when our second was born.

Once your little girl gets to be about 6 months old, you need a double jog stroller so that you can combine training with time with the kids and get the bonus of giving your wife a break.

2010-08-25 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Leicester
Similar story for me and when my 3rd child came along 6 months ago it threw a big spanner in the works as far as my training plan.
You have to work through it, use an indoor bike trainer, buy a big wheel running stroller, do whatever you can to maximise your time at elevated heart rates while keeping the family happy.

I had a volenteer position as th trail co-ordinator for a set of park trails, I'm still involved in the organisation (CAMBr) but had to give up the trail co-ord job this year to fit in the time to train for a HIM.

The baby needs daddy to be around, but mom need the help more, do the little things, clean up, make some huge lasagne dishes now that can be re-heated for quick easy dinners after baby is born, make life as easy as you can for your wife and once you are through the first 6 crazy weeks of new baby, her support for your pursuit of triathlon will still be there, maybe even more so.
2010-08-25 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
IMO, its totally reasonable to juggle it BUT i think you need to be prepared to give up some other personal interests in favor of pushing this one. So, if you are a golfer, its not reasonable to golf for 5 hours on Sunday AND train. Or watch football all Sunday, etc, etc. Give and take and you'll be fine
2010-08-25 8:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-08-25 8:51 AM

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
As a newbie to tri's with a family of three and ADHD like you (Just Kidding) I hear you loud and clear.  I like to golf; play softball; ski; I coach all three of my kids sports year round. I teach skiing in the winter, I umpire baseball and I am a hockey ref and I commute to work and hour each way and I DJ gigs on weekends. So when do I train. When ever I can. Oh did I mention my wife is a nurse who works 11am to 11pm three days a week so I have to watch my kids on those nights. My kids are 6; 10 and 11. I can't leave them alone to go for a run or bike. So I bought an ellipictical. It's a precor so its good but it doesn't compare to running or biking but when I can't leave the house it's how I train. When I want to swim I take them all to our town pool. They actually like to watch me train and sit by the pool when I do laps. All three of them did a Kids Tri back in June and they loved it. It was set up just like a regular tri with transition area's and timing chips,  but that's another story for another day. You've got to do what you can and fit training in whenever just don't make the mistake of missing time with your family. It's not possible now but when your kids get older getting them involved in your training is a great thing to do.  And I will tell you in a year or two when you son is a little older and comes to your race and is at the finish line. It's a great feeling. Good Luck and remember Family comes first!!!
2010-08-25 9:00 AM

Erie
It sounds like you've got it worked out for now.  I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old so I need to work around them.  The YMCA has free baby sitting so that gives me an hour in the mornings a few days a week until they go to the babysitter.

I sell to schools and work from home (when I'm not on the road) so I can squeeze in a 30min run during lunch or get in an afternoon workout if the wife needs to work late.  We usually alternate evenings; one of us gets the kids ready for bed and the other gets to workout.  On the weekends I can get in a quick workout if the kids are down for a nap...even then I sometimes feel like a douche for leaving the wife with them.  

I think its a comfortable balance for now.  But I think increasing training significantly more would either take away from family or require super early/late hours that I'm not willing to commit to.
2010-08-25 9:10 AM

Master
Savannah,

My husband and I are both triathletes (he is a multi IM and I am a sprint/Oly/HIM, etc). We have four kids between us and both work full time.  Just let me say, what seems to be impossible isn't always.  WIth younger kids (and the infant is a whole other ball game) I would utilize the YMCA or other health club with Play Zones, child care, etc. 

Otherwise, the kids are usually involved, somewhat, in the training.  They ride bikes while I run, they play at the pool while we swim.  We all watch a movie together (one of us on the trainer).  It also involves late night trainer rides and one of us trading off on the weekends for the long stuff.

It's not easy, but it is doable.  AND, the kids are super schooled in triathlons.....they know all about hydration, aero bars, distances, etc.  Two of our kids have even done little kid triathlons!  Nothing wrong with having a healthy, training family. Better than a smoking, lazy family.

And let me add that our kids are 8, 10, 10, and 12.....a little different than little guys. 

Edited by thegoddess 2010-08-25 9:27 AM
2010-08-25 9:12 AM

Veteran
Florida
I'm a mother of a 5 & 7 year old with a full time job. It's tough and I'm constantly having to change my strategy to make it work. You really have to prioritize and decide what you do and don't need to do. My plan recently has been spending about an hour and a half with the kids after work then getting a workout in and trying to be done before they go to bed. On the weekends I do long workouts in the morning or whenever I can fit them in.

With school starting this week and both kids wanting to do sports it's going to be time to change things up again and see how I can make it work. I know I can't sacrifice kid time for my training. I can tell by how my kids act when I'm drifting too far into the training. Time with them and focusing on them every day is critical. Being present isn't enough. Can you tell I'm stressing about it all??

Good luck finding the balance
2010-08-25 9:13 AM

Champion
Alabama
Wecome aboard!  Like all things in life, we have to find balance. 

Spend time with you family and be the best dad you can be.  Spend time with your wife and be the best husband you can be.  If there is any time or energy left over, then train for triathlons.

Personally, I usually only did one race per year when my kids were small.  You can do triathlons  the rest of your life....but your children will only be young for a little while and they need a dad.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for.  This is just my opinion, each man and woman must decide for themselves how they prioritize life.

~Mike

2010-08-25 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3062797

Regular
Great Topic. for the past 4 years my wife has been increasingly involved in triathlons. last year she trained all year and completed her first full ironman and it was awesome to be a part of that experience in Couer D'Alene with her. Her training was never a huge deal for me since I have hobbies (golf being the worst) so it gave us each valuable time to pursue our hobbies and be completely engaged for our time together.

Fast forward one year. This June we had our first child, a beautiful baby girl who is now almost 3 months. My wife wanted to get back on the horse quickly so she signed up for a 70.3 race (Iron Star) in early Novemeber and she is now training for that (I can't believe it was only 11 weeks ago that she pushed out an 8lb. baby!).

Well, I happened to get my bike out of the shop after not ridiing it for about a year and after my first two rides I decide I'm finally going to take the plunge and train for a sprint race. I have never done a triathlon and have no base in any of the three but I am a fairly athletic guy, although I'm 36 and have nagging injuries to work through.

So now both of us are training 6 days a week for triathlons, both of us working (me full time and her 3 days a week) and trying to still manage time together, time with the baby, our church responsibilities, etc....

Its certainly causing us to be more planful about our schedules and make tradeoffs. But so far we have supported each other very welll and ultimately I think it will be something we enjoy supporting each other in.

Oh, and it does mean I play a lot less golf!
2010-08-25 9:20 AM

Pro
Houston
We have 5 children, I homeschool, have a home business and this is my 2nd year in Tri's  Not sure my opinion will be popular but here hit is..... triathlon will always be there this time with your new baby when your wife needs you the most will not.

I am fortunate I fell in love with tri's when my youngest was 2, I was still nursing but obviously she was eating food as well and I was only training for sprints.  My husband ran last year but just started training for tri's this year.  If he was training for triathlons in the weeks/months after I gave birth it would have been miserable.  It was hard enough he had to travel more often for work after #5 was born but that was not within his control.  If he was out doing tri's at any time I could have used help with a newborn and toddler, well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

Not saying you can't do this and it seems like you are doing your best not to impact the family.  If you were my husband I would suggest taking 3 months off after the baby is born and then start winter training for small races next spring/summer.  Stick with sprints your first year and until that little one is a little easier for Mama to manage on her own.  Maybe you will inspire her like I inspired my husband and a couple years from now you'll both be doing tri's.

Best of luck and congratulations!
2010-08-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3062853

New Haven, CT
be happy your 3 year old sleeps until 8 or 9 on weekends.  My kids are up before the roosters, so even early morning training is a negotiation with my wife.  as others have said you may have to curtail training to attend to your daddy duties.  I go to the gym in lieu of a "lunch hour" so at least i can get in 30-45 minutes/day that way.  There is no formula, you just have to go with what works and cut out every extra curricular activity that is not super important.  Good luck and congrats ont eh new baby.
2010-08-25 9:51 AM

Pro
Parker, CO
Welcome to BT!  Trying to train with young children can be a challenge.  Mine are older now (8 & 11) so things have become much easier.  I do most of my workouts early mornings and usually one day on the weekend I can get a longer workout in.  My wife run also so we need to balance things.  When my daughter was first born I stopped triathlon and riding my bike.  then my son was born.  I didn't get on my bike or tri again until he was 2.  So I had about a 5-year break from cycling and triathlon but I did still do some running.  Things were just too crazy those first few years.  Some people manage this much better then we did.
2010-08-25 10:02 AM

Expert

I am still trying to find balance, and at this point I think I'll always be searching!  But isn't that what makes life interesting?  I did my first triathlon in 1990, before I was married.  I had a baby a few years later, and then another, and then decided to go to medical school.  That's when I started doing triathlons again- but having two young children and going to medical school doesn't leave a lot of time for training.  So I muddled through, trained intermittently, but kept coming back to it.  Residency was the worst- it's very hard to train when you are working 80 hour weeks and have a family, so I ran a little but that was about it. 

So I kept the interest, if not the fitness, and now that I'm on the faculty, life is at least somewhat easier.  But I still have weeks where I am on service and can't make many workouts, and I travel alot.  I have been slowly gaining consistency though. I'm still only trying for sprint triathlons (20 years after my first!!!), but in four years (!) we will be empty nesters, and I have already made plans (a pinky swear!) for a 70.3 in 2015

These years have passed so quickly. Fundamentally the goal is to enjoy the process of living, not spend so much time aiming for a goal that you forget to live.  Triathlon will be there when you need it.

2010-08-25 10:04 AM

Regular
Doylestown, PA
Although I am not yet married, and do not have kids, I am in the middle of half ironman training... and soon to be on my way to my first ironman.  Best advice I received on these boards was to print out my long-term training schedule and sit down with my girlfriend to literally show her the workouts I'd be doing.  I tried to give her as realistic a picture of training as possible, and kept asking what her preferences were for when I train. I tried to be accommodating as possible, and so far so good.  Depending on the distances you work up to ... you have to REALLY want it.  Like you, I have a pretty rough commute in NJ (43mi each way) and a demanding work schedule (finance). Time is limited and I've had to sacrifice other things I like to do for my training (like golf).  

Be up front, honest and adapt and you'll be fine -- good luck!
2010-08-25 10:27 AM

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Welcome to BT Misha... It's funny, your story could be mine, almost word for word... just needs a couple changes.  Second kid in a few months instead of a week.  Full time teacher in Taiwan instead of part time in NYC, I train late night and early mornings too, and my first is 5 instead of 3.

Plus, you've done your first tri... I'm still working up to it.

Anyway, sounds like you a doing a pretty good job of juggling.. keep it up!
2010-08-25 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3062853

Master
Bellevue, WA
KeriKadi - 2010-08-25 7:20 AM

We have 5 children, I homeschool, have a home business and this is my 2nd year in Tri's  Not sure my opinion will be popular but here hit is..... triathlon will always be there this time with your new baby when your wife needs you the most will not.

I am fortunate I fell in love with tri's when my youngest was 2, I was still nursing but obviously she was eating food as well and I was only training for sprints.  My husband ran last year but just started training for tri's this year.  If he was training for triathlons in the weeks/months after I gave birth it would have been miserable.  It was hard enough he had to travel more often for work after #5 was born but that was not within his control.  If he was out doing tri's at any time I could have used help with a newborn and toddler, well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

Not saying you can't do this and it seems like you are doing your best not to impact the family.  If you were my husband I would suggest taking 3 months off after the baby is born and then start winter training for small races next spring/summer.  Stick with sprints your first year and until that little one is a little easier for Mama to manage on her own.  Maybe you will inspire her like I inspired my husband and a couple years from now you'll both be doing tri's.

Best of luck and congratulations!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let me break it down for you:

Multiple responsibilities, complexities, and time pressures (job, 2nd job, commute, volunteering, wife, kids)? Check.

30 year old? Check.

Toddler at home? Check.

Newborn baby on the way? Check.

"Help out your wife with the kid" attitude? Check.

Belief in your "very supportive wife"? Check.

Belief that you're making it all work so far? Check.

So there you have it. If you were a good friend or my brother, say, I'd take you by the shoulders, look you straight in the face, and say something like below. So take it that way:

Do you really think that adding the complexities of triathlon training and racing is the right thing to do in your life? I certainly don't.

Not just one sport, but three? The time, expense, and logistics of training for sprints is tough enough (many threads on that on this board); anything longer just makes it tougher. You're taking that on just when your responsibilities as a father double

I have my suspicions that your wife isn't nearly as supportive as you believe her to be. We men can be very blind to that. We fail to see objection and opposition from our spouses. Some women also fail to surface their objections and fall into passive aggressive resistance, or worse wait 1, 3, 10 years as resentment builds.

Your "triathlon bug" is likely a form of escapism, often seen in early 30s men watching youth slip away under the weight of adult responsibilities like two children, wife at home, and so on. No better than hiding in the basement playing XBox Live, but that at least would be cheaper.

Wake up, grow up, and give up triathlon for at least 3 months, if not longer. Your wife needs you, and you are on a path to ruin.
2010-08-25 11:16 AM

Expert
NW NJ
misha1809 - 2010-08-25 8:57 AM Greetings All,

I am a beginner Triathlete.  Why, when I say that does it sound like the beginnings of some therapy session?   Truth be told, it may just be.  I have seriously caught the Triathlon Bug.  And it could not have happened at a worse time!  My wife and I are expecting our second child, a baby girl, one week from today.  We are so very happy and excited (we have a 3 year old son) about her arrival.  With this excitement, however, comes a little sense of (selfish?) sadness.  The sadness of not having enough hours in the day to do all that I want.  I ran my first Triathlon this July.  Quickly signed up for another in August.  Have two more on the schedule for September and October.  And through it all am trying feverishly to find time to train and time to gel with my rapidly expanding family.

Of course, this is nothing new.  Athletes (even the slow pudgy kind) have been trying to juggle these pressures for as long as organized sports have been around.  I wanted to share and hopefully hear from you all about your experiences balancing these very important areas of your own life. 

As a 30 year old with a hellish commute into NYC, my time is seriously constrained by my job, my other job (part time teacher), volunteer positions, my wife, my son, soon to be my daughter and my own race training.  When I began this adventure (doing Tri's) I steeled myself in the notion that I would not sacrifice precious time with my son at the end of the day for training.  So we have dinner, I put him to bed and then hit the gym around 9:00 pm.  On weekends I train very early, sun-up to about 8 or 9 am and then head home when my wife and son are usually getting up.  These are my strategies and they seem to work pretty well for me.  However they do limit more serious training but maybe that is just not in the cards right now.

Fortunately, I have a very supportive wife who, as long as I make the effort to reduce her inconveniences (workout late at night or very early in the morning and then help out afterwards ala not zonk out on the couch when I'm done), supports my training.

Anyway, this is my story and I'm sticking to it.  I'd really like to hear your stories and or ideas on the topic!

Thanks,

J

DUDE, WTF?  

M30-34... 3 year old at home... another on the way (probably soon)... hellish commute to NYC... Slow & Pudgy... Did you steal my identity?

It is a balancing act, it is hard not to be selfish but do what is important and support your family if you want them to support you in the future.
2010-08-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3063099

Expert
NW NJ
brucemorgan - 2010-08-25 11:54 AM
Do you really think that adding the complexities of triathlon training and racing is the right thing to do in your life? I certainly don't. Not just one sport, but three? The time, expense, and logistics of training for sprints is tough enough (many threads on that on this board); anything longer just makes it tougher. You're taking that on just when your responsibilities as a father double I have my suspicions that your wife isn't nearly as supportive as you believe her to be. We men can be very blind to that. We fail to see objection and opposition from our spouses. Some women also fail to surface their objections and fall into passive aggressive resistance, or worse wait 1, 3, 10 years as resentment builds. Your "triathlon bug" is likely a form of escapism, often seen in early 30s men watching youth slip away under the weight of adult responsibilities like two children, wife at home, and so on. No better than hiding in the basement playing XBox Live, but that at least would be cheaper. Wake up, grow up, and give up triathlon for at least 3 months, if not longer. Your wife needs you, and you are on a path to ruin.

Damn, this just gave me a serious reality check....  Uh Oh!

2010-08-25 11:46 AM

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
Hi All,

I am very appreciative of the comments on this thread.  Even so of those that are a little rough around the edges.  From my original post, nothing comes before my family.  Hence the late night and early morning workouts while the rest of the fam sleeps.  I should have probably mentioned that I only do sprints.  I have no intention of ramping up to something more within the next 12 months at least. 

I think, in the end, we all have to do what is right for ourselves, taking into consideration all circumstances.  I think I am doing that.  I also think very open and honest communication with the family is crucial. 

Cheers,

J
2010-08-25 12:21 PM

Regular
KDEN
I just did my first Sprint a few weeks ago.  Had fun this summer training for it too!  I have a 7 and a 3 1/2 year old son and daughter.  Luckily ?? for me, my schedule rotates every 4 weeks, so I could train at different times of the day this summer.  Now that the older guy is in school, it's a little easier.  The biggest plus is that my gym has 2 hours of child care a day per child included in our dues!  That helps bunches...except most of my training was on dreadmills and stationary bikes, but it was still training!

My wife runs a small business and we have the school and daycare schedule pick ups and drop offs figured out pretty well now.  It will, of course, be alot easier when the little one starts school in 2 years.

Like you said, family first and the rest will follow!
2010-08-25 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3063099

Veteran
Houston, TX
I'm a mom of two, currently ages 12 and 9. I didn't come into fitness/exercise/health and triathlon until my kids were older, but I WISH had found it sooner while my kids were younger. Despite any time put into it, I consider it an INVESTMENT because it makes me a BETTER mom. Yep, I am saner, happier, healthier, have more energy, more patience, and a lot more to give when I get a chance to "escape" to my training/exercise than if I don't. Before I found fitness, I was a mess, hated my life, felt chained to diapers and was just a miserable, nasty person to be around. As soon as I started a 5-6 day a week fitness program, it all changed. All of a sudden I was out taking walks with my kids, riding bikes with them, playing games, cooking healthy meals...taking time for ME to workout made me a better person.

So I don't buy into the give it up thing. I would rather my husband leave for 1 hour a day for a run or ride and come home happy and ready to help than just stay home but be a miserable, grumpy person. Obviously its not the time for lofty goals, upping volume, big races, etc. But maintaining your fitness and keeping active can actually be a HELP to your wife and new baby in my opinion.
2010-08-25 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3063253

Expert
North Central WV
misha1809 - 2010-08-25 12:46 PM Hi All,

I am very appreciative of the comments on this thread.  Even so of those that are a little rough around the edges.  From my original post, nothing comes before my family.  Hence the late night and early morning workouts while the rest of the fam sleeps.  I should have probably mentioned that I only do sprints.  I have no intention of ramping up to something more within the next 12 months at least. 

I think, in the end, we all have to do what is right for ourselves, taking into consideration all circumstances.  I think I am doing that.  I also think very open and honest communication with the family is crucial. 

Cheers,

J

If your wife is on board with everything, you don't have too much of a problem.  We are a dual-working (full-time), dual athlete, dual kid (4 yrs and 18 mo) family.  If you can keep those lines of communication open with your wife, you are doing well.  I was at the height of my very limited triathlon and running career when I met my husband.  I didn't realize that he didn't intend to "downsize" his training once wife and babies came along.  It is a constant source of stress for me.  Something had to give and unfortunately, my training was the thing to go.   But I know that once the boys are older, I will be able to train with more consistency.  Sticking to sprints is a very good idea.  I have done two sprints a year since my first son was born (and an Olympic the year after my son was born).  I did a marathon this past May and won't be in a hurry to commit to something as demanding of my time again soon.  Your wife is going to need you.  Your first born is going to need you.  At the same time, some "you" time is also important and it is the only thing that keeps me training sometimes.  It sounds as though you have a good perspective.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Work, Family, & ... Triathlons? Musings About the Squeeze of it All. Rss Feed  

of 3