Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Hey Everyone Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-09 7:03 AM

New user

Victoria, Australia
Subject: Hey Everyone
Hey everyone, I'm starting out in the tri scene, I've trained once before for a few months but got plagued with injury and stopped.

I completed certificate 3 and 4 in fitness about a year ago now and just recently ive regained the passion i had before to complete a tri or 30.

My only concern i have is the i have find that i have lots of trouble with shin splints, and a dislocated A/C joint.

Is there any tips for the shin splints problem?

2010-10-11 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3142280

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Hey Everyone
Hi Telzen,

There aren't that many people from Victoria on this site so you might find no of them have problems with shin splints.  Might be better trying in the Injuries and Health Issues section of the forum.

Joe
2010-10-11 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Hi Telzen, 
I'm from Vic but like Joe said. I don't have problems with shin splint. I have plenty of my own problems but shin splint ain't one of them. Welcome tho".
Tammie

Edited by bondgirl 2010-10-11 7:01 PM
2010-10-12 4:52 AM

New user

Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the input guys!

I will post on that forum and hope to get a response

2010-10-12 10:06 PM

User image

Melbourne
Hi,
I'm a Victorian and I have had shin splints! (and Osteitis Pubis at the moment).
I used to get them when I played hockey.
Try to run on grass when you are training, hard surfaces are not good for shin splints.
I find Ice is my friend.
Ice your shins after every run to reduce inflammation.
Ice seems to really work for me when I have any little niggle.
If they are really bad, see your Physio.
Hope your training goes well.
Smile
2011-10-20 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3148692

User image

Elite

I have had shin splints and I'm in Victoria!  Firstly see a podiatrist - I got custom made orthotics and advice on which brand/style of shoe to wear.  I now wear nothing except Asics 2160's or Kayanos.  Definitely helps.

I cannot run constantly over 20km.  Anything above that I will get shin splints - however i love an endurance distance sooooo I got myself a copy of Jeff Galloway's Marathon You Can Do it - follwing this guy's run/walk strategy has resulted in two years of no shin splints.  And i did Melbourne in 5.06.  just read about a guy who did a 4.15 running one minute and walking one minute - gives your legs a much needed change in pace and muscle use.

Physio advice has also helped, he said I was putting incredible strain on the smaller calf muscle by running too slow.  yep that's right too slow.  He said I wasn't giving the larger calf muscle the opportunity to be engaged.  And I have now improved my pace soooo much - I used to run 6.30kms I can now do 5.30kms (short distance though)  He was so right, running faster seems to hurt less.

Avoid training on hills unless you're going to be racing those conditions.  I do hill training - I run up a small incline (about a 45sec climb) and slowly jog down, 10 times once a week.  It's enough for Melbourne.

If you do get an attack of shin splints then straight off to the physio or myotherapist (I prefer the latter as they offer a more all round approach, curing the cause rather than the symptoms only)

Find one that is sympathetic to your needs (advising me not to run for five weeks is not an option)  I have a Myotherapist in Carlton, Advanced Myotherapy - pricey but good.  Treatment of shin splints, straight after training or massage ice.  Massage and heaps of it - ouch.  Dry Needling encourages the muscle to heal quicker by causing it a minor trauma.  Heat pack when resting.  And stretching of course - on myotherapist advice I now stretch every morning for 20mins and I feel great for it.

The other thing that helped me heaps - lost 15kg!

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Hey Everyone Rss Feed