2010-12-21 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED

When Can you Start Mentoring:  I can start today

Name:
  Razorxp / David
Story:  I started triathlon on a whim to loose a couple pounds for a friends wedding 4 years ago and have been hooked ever since.  I have made ALOT of mistakes in training so hopefully I can help you avoid the ones I have made.  As a normal type A I have tried to become a student of this sport by completing USAT coaching and reading everything I can get my hands on in order to improve or find better ways to train.  Triathlon is a family event for My wife and friends as we have as many as 10 friends/family at most races.

Family Status:
  I have been married for 7 years to my best-friend (Angie) and our 3 dogs  2 yorkies (Max, Enzo) and a boxer (kona) as its his job to get me there. :-)

Current Training:
This year my A race is IMWI, along with that we will do a hand-full of fun OLY races and a couple 1/2IM's (Knoxville & Muncie)

2010 Races:
  IMCDA I did for fun as a vacation, and IMKY was my A race (didn't go too well though) Also did the 1st 1/2 @ Knoxville.

Weightloss:
  This year I am going to try a new race weight getting as small as possible, probably around 155.  Current 190lbs but my normal race weight is 162.  I don't have much trouble getting down quickly except for the last few pounds.

What will Make me a Good Mentor:
  I hope to be a good mentor because I have learned alot about this sport in a short time and I can share what I have learned with others.  This will be my 1st attempt at mentoring so I am excited about something new, so I'm hoping I can motivate and stay motivated by others.   Another good thing is I am always checking this site out (even though I don't post much) so I will respond quickly.   I only hope I can get a group that is active (as this will make it much more fun and rewarding), I will do my best to keep it going but I cannot force others to post.

If your willing to commit to me I will commit to you!
TRAIN SAFE

David

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-24 3:46 PM

2010-12-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Open
Good Morning David.

I am very interested in joining your group.  However, I do not have the time right now this morning to fill you in on me so I will log back on this afternoon to fully introduce myself.

Thanks.

Kevin
2010-12-23 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

David,

I am interested in joining your group. 

I am engaged to my angel, Gwen, who sat enraptured during the Ironman coverage from IM World Championship.  We have 5 kids, threee that she brought with and 2 that I have part-time custody of on alternating weekends during the school year and alternating weeks during summer.

I work from home and only go into the office about twice per month.  I travel infrequently and have found irony in that I can train when I travel, but not on days when I go into the local office.  Three guesses as to where I engineer my off days!

For training, I workout at the local park district gym which has a pool. I've primarily been focused on bike and strength as I am having trouble with my left peroneal tendons and more recently, my right shoulder.  I haven't been to see a physician yet, but my bet is that these are all problems coming out of poor mechanics and a weak core.  I already log my training into the training log and am using the training plans provided by BT.  I am looking into getting a swim stroke analysis done to ensure that everything is flowing properly.

I am registered for Leon's Triathlon in June and plan on registering for the Galena Sprint in May.  I would also like to race Steelhead, but I would like to get my biomechanics ironed out before I commit $$ to that one.  Other than that, I'll race in 5K, 8K and 10K races with my fiance here and there.

Sorry for being so wordy and I look forward to woking with you!

Rob

Edited by robburkett 2010-12-23 9:28 AM
2010-12-23 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3258922

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Welcome aboard Kevin, I look forward to hearing about you and your goals.

David
2010-12-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3258955

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Hello Rob,
Great to have you on the team,  This years IM coverage was great. Its a yearly tradition for my wife and I to watch and hopefully get there one day.  I think 90% of triathletes could tune their swimming stroke (me included).  If you haven't already make sure your logs are open to either everyone our members of the group so we can all see what your doing.
I will start logging my workouts once I get over this cold.
Again Welcome

David

2010-12-23 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
My name is Keith and I'd like to join the group. 

I live in New England and have been married for 9 years.  We have two great boys (7 and 3).  I work from 4-12 so I can watch them in the morning, and then go to work when my wife comes home. 

I've been running for about 5 years now.  I was never very athlethic in high school and swore I'd never run again aftger I left the Marine Corps in 1999.  I put on alot of weight afterwards like alot of people do.  One day I noticed I was breathing pretty heavy walking up a set of stairs and told my self enough is enough.  So I started running.  I've ran a bunch of 5k and 10ks.  Last year I ran 2 half marathons.  My personal best is 1:48.  Not to bad for a guy who weighs 210.  Last year I decided I wanted to do something new, so I picked triathlons.

I'm lucky enough that I have a treadmill and resistance trainer fo my bicycle at home, so while the little guy watches Spongebob I can bike or run depending on the day.  He goes to pre-school Thursday and Friday, so those are my swim days.  I hadn't really swam in years, so I had to get a swim coach.  She's showing me the way.

My race goals this year are two half marathons again and two olympic triathlons.  I really enjoy how tri training mixes everything up.  It's not just running anymore.  I love the challenge of the three sports. 

2010-12-23 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
I would love to join group as well.  I will fill out bio info this afternoon. I look forward to learning from everyone.

thanks
Jason
2010-12-23 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Hello, My name is Caleb. I'd like to join your group if you'll have me.

Last year was my first year of triathlon and I absolutely love it.  I used to be a pure roadie for about 6 years but I developed some back problems and stopped riding for awhile.  A couple years and about 35 lbs later I decided I needed to do something.  My wife and I started to train for a 5k.  We'd been doing this for a few weeks when I saw a Biggest Loser special where one of their old contestants was doing Kona at 237lbs.  I thought if he can do that I surely could (I was weighing in at 245).  Since I had been running and had a background in riding, I was 2/3 of the way there. So that's how I got started. 

I've been married to my wonderful wife (and new member of BT.com) for 8 years and we have twin boys that are 2 1/2 which motivate me more than ever to get out of the house to train.

In 2010, I did 3 sprints and 1 oly.  I finished pretty well in each except my oly.  I had a rough experience.  In 2011, I'm going to do at least 2 sprints and an oly in June that is kind of a goal race since I did bad in my last one.  I'm going to be starting chiropractic school in May so we're moving sometime between now and then to Kansas City.  I'm not sure what that will do to my training but I'd like to fit in at least one more oly and a HIM. 

I am shooting for a weight loss goal before my first race.  Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between 209-212.  I'd like to get below 200 before my first race in April.  I got pretty close this year but just couldn't do it so hopefully I can clear that hurdle in 2011.

Edited by cspreiter 2010-12-23 9:01 PM
2010-12-23 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
David - I am interested in joining your group.

Name:  Tim (tmoran80)

Story:  I have always been a runner since I was a kid (cross country, track, etc...)  I did my first marathon (Chicago 92') as a senior in high school.  Never was fast but just enjoyed the challenge of pushing myself.  Ever since I was little kid I would watch Ironman on NBC and want to do it but never really "believed" I could.  During college, post college and first few years of marriage my fitness consisted of 12 oz. curls and I was the heviest I have ever been.  When we had our first child I made a vow that I would not be one of thoe out of shape dads who cannot do anything with their kids and I signed up for the Chicago Marathon 2008.  I did it again in 2009 but was plagued with injuries.  I decide it was time for Triathlons.  Learned (and still learning) how to swim and bike and I have been addicted ever since.  I covered all the races last year (except IM) with a sprint, olympic and 70.3 IM.  The overall goal is Ironman Wisconsin 2012.

Family Status:
  I have been married for 7 years to my wife (Josi) who supports me with my training but can get upset when it gets out of control Surprised.  I have two kids -Evan (6) and Sophia (3).  It is important to me to find that balance between family, work and training.  haven't been able to dial it in but it is a work in progress still

Current Training:
This year I plan on doing the Illinois Marathon in April.  My official training starts next week.  I also plan to do the Galena sprint and the Racine 70.3 IM. 

2010 Races:
  Shamrock Shuffle 8K, Galena Sprint, Chicago Rock-N-Roll 1/2 Marathon, Big Foot Triathlon Olympic (Lake Geneva, WI), Branson 70.3 IM, Tri The Du Duathlon, (Kankakee, IL & I won my age group!!!)

Weightloss:
  I am fairly happy with my weight but I am really trying to focus on my overall nutrition.  I think one thing that hampered me last season was my nutrition and made me tired and affected my training.

Rockstar: 
One of my biggest challenges is that I currently play in two cover bands singing and playing guitar.  We played over 50 shows last year and this year I expect around 70.  It makes it very tough on weekends to get home at 3am and get up to do a long bike or run.  One of the bands only plays on Thursday nights so I am planning on Fridays being my off days but.... we will see how that goes.

Expectations: I participated in my first mentor group last season and had a GREAT experience and made a couple great friends.  I am excited that you have Ironman experience and the USAT coaching background and look forward to learning more from you.  I also hope to be able to help out everyone in this group while also learning from everyone elses experiences.  I expect to be challenged and held accountable for my training goals by everyone in this group and I will return the favor.  It makes it hard to blow off a workout knowing that people are checking up on you!!

Looking forward to great 2011 Season!!!
2010-12-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3259015

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Thanks David.
I found a bit of time to give you and our group a bit of my history so here it goes and I will try not to be too long winded and I hope I don't bore too many people with it.

Personal History:
I am 47 years old, 5 foot 10 and about 168 lbs. Last summer (August 2010) I participated in a Tri-a-Tri in Chatham Ontario Canada - about one hour across the border from Detroit Michigan (I live in a small town just outside Windsor Ontario directly across the border from Detroit). I had a great time and I fell in love with the sport.

I am actually a Golf Professional and a Class A Member of the Canadian PGA (so if you need any help with your golf swig in exchange for this service - let me know - that goes for anyone in this group - lol) I now also teach a Golf Business specific program at a local college here in the area.

I have decided to take this sport up for a number of reasons, most of them personal which I am sure I will share with the group along the way if you anyone is interested.

My goals for the 2011 season may be a bit lofty but I am ready to give it a shot. I would like to do at least 3 sprint tri's this coming season and maybe something a bit longer at the end of the summer. Please let me know if you think this may be a bit too ambitious. My current work situation and other schedules allow for a flexible training schedule so I am not too worried about that part of it. 

I would have to say that my biggest road block is the swimming. I did not grow up a swimmer so technically, to put it simply, I stink! I have engaged a swimming coach here at the college and I am trying. I have to be honest, it is frustrating. I am having trouble with it. Getting the rhythm and timing during the breathing process is driving me nuts. I am normally pretty good at picking up a physical activity pretty quickly but this is tough. I know I have to be more patient but I am not going to quit.

I guess I should also let you know that just prior to the tri-a-tri last August I injured my neck (c5, c6 nerve root damage) resulting in radiculopathy. I managed during the tri-a-tri with the use of some pain meds but since then have been under the care of a physio therapist, chiropractor and wonderful massage therapist. I am operating at about 90% but the prognosis is good. I do still experience some left arm pain and weakness but God willing I will put this behind me. We believe the injury was a buildup of years of golf aggravated by quickly exerting myself in my new found passion of training.

Anyway - to make a long story longer (sorry everyone) I am looking forward to a new year and participating in this great sport along with my other passion - golf.

I have not even looked at the training plans or idea on here yet but will be doing so late this year and early in the New Year. I will be in Panama City Beach over the Christmas holiday however and plan on doing some swim training in the pool at the condo to attempt to get more comfortable for the swim training days ahead.

OK - enough about me  please let me know anything else you need to know and oranything else I need to do heading into the new year. Smile

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin

Edited by kcgolf 2010-12-23 10:49 AM
2010-12-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3259141

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Tim.

Great bio - look forward to learning from you along the way.

Kevin

2010-12-23 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran

David, I am excited to be in the group. 

My background is as follows. 

I grew up playing all sports but never had a desire to run or do endurance sports.  I played football and baseball in college but hated the conditioning aspect of it.  I always loved lifting weights but whenever we ran any distance I would hate it.  I am much more fast twitch than slow twitch.

Anyway, I did a sprint tri a few years ago just because I was curious and I had a good time.  Then one day last summer I was talking to some guys that were doing IMFL and I was shocked they were doing it because I thought only gifted professionals did that.  Then it hit me...if they can do it, I can at least try to do it.  So I signed up for a sprint tri and a half marathon and it started.

I have a wonderful wife and two small kids (5 and 2).  My wife is not real sure about all the training but she is willing to let me try.  My son, who is five, wants to do everything with me and I cant wait until one day he can.

My goals this year are to do a HIM in May and either another HIM in late summer or a full IM.  There are a few sprints around my area so I hopefully will do a few of those.   But my main goal is to do an IM either late this year or 2012.

I am really excited to get help and info from everyone and look forward to this year.

Jason

2010-12-23 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3259357

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Jason.

Looking foward to sharing with you and the group.

Kevin C
2010-12-23 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks Kevin-

I look forward to it.
2010-12-23 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3259174

User image

Expert
Thanks Kevin.  Should be a great year.  I would take you up on those golf lessons but I retired from golf in 2008 and vowed to never play again after a terrible outing - haha.  Now I just use my golf bag to store my sword (another story for another time).

Just stick with that swimming and it will come to you out of the blue one day and it will become automatic.  That is great that you have a coach and should help.   Is there a Master's Swim group by you?  That really helped take my swimming to another level last year.

kcgolf - 2010-12-23 10:43 AM

Hi Tim.

Great bio - look forward to learning from you along the way.

Kevin

2010-12-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3259047

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Keith Welcome and thank you for your service!!!!

Living in Ohio I know what the dreadmill is like although no spongebob for me! :-)
You think like me, you needed something new so you picked Tri's (I love it).  That is about how I got into it. I will say its a great avenue for competitive people.

2010-12-23 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Jason - I feel your pain with the young kids and the wifes willingness to go along with this crazy sport.  I am sure we can swap some war stories -haha

My six year old Evan also loves it and I think I am going to enter him in a Kid's Tri this summer.  He did a charity run at school this year and insisted on using my fuel belt and a gel for his 1/4 mile run.

gabrelsj - 2010-12-23 12:30 PM

I have a wonderful wife and two small kids (5 and 2).  My wife is not real sure about all the training but she is willing to let me try.  My son, who is five, wants to do everything with me and I cant wait until one day he can.

2010-12-23 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3259111

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Caleb welcome (since you didn't put your name I checked your BT bio so let us know if you go by something different).
Good luck juggling moving/twins/ and school.  We will try to keep you motivated to workout!  You will have to let us know what happen at your OLY race so we can see if you can figure it out.

David
2010-12-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3259141

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Welcome aboard Tim.

I wish would have ran my whole life, as that is my biggest weakness.  That is great your wife supports your training as one of my friends says (happy wife happy Life).  I know how easily it could get out of control training as it can become all consuming wayyyy to quick.  Have you been to the Racine site? we are looking at that one this year also.

I will do my best to make this group fun and informative but I will count on everyone to post and keep it going.

2010-12-23 2:01 PM

User image

New user

Hi David,

My name is Steph and I am a 36 yr old mother of 4 ages 19,16,13 and 9. I have been married for many years and we just had our oldest move out.

I work at a trucking, human resources and safety regulatory company, yes it's as exciting as it sounds. Unfortunatly this means I sit all day long. I try to exercise every day in some form.

In 2008 I joined Roller Derby and it was a life changing experience. I discovered that I miss playing sports and being active. In 2010 I was going to participate in a triathalon but elected to travel and play derby against other teams throughout the nation. I did complete a half marathon but had a terrible time. This coming year I would like to finish a sprint distance triathalon.

It's hard to figure out when to do the training with 3 kids still at home and 6 hours of practice this week. So I normally go in the early morning before work which leaves me roughly 1 hour and 1/2. Except on the weekends I have the time for longer workouts.

My goal is to lose 10 - 15 lbs and just gain more endurance. I am 5'2" and 146 lbs. I am pretty muscular though so the weight is decieving and mainly want to lose the flab around my belly.

I know I need to change my diet first thing and will be doing so directly after the holidays. I love to work out and also love to eat, so I am really going to have to learn to eat the right foods.

I am very excited!

Steph
2010-12-23 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Hi Jason welcome!

Are you one of my friends playing a joke on me?? Because we have the exact same background, I used to be a gym rat and played all the stick & ball sports and  my longest run was the 40yard dash.

We will have to figure out a way to get your training in and keep your wife happy!

2010-12-23 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3259157

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Great to hear more about your Kevin,  These 1st few post can never be too long as we all need to get to know each other.
I too WAS an avid golfer after college but a 2 handicap is probably a 22 now.  Since I have been training I have about 4 rounds on my own ball and about 40 scrambles with clients.  IM training will kill a game pretty quick. lol

As for your swimming I have a friend with back issues and swimming bothers it more than anything due to the body rotation.  When you swim does it aggravate your back?

With your race schedule and the limited info I have my goal would be to work on being healthy and play the races by ear for now.  What was a typical training week for you that caused the back injury?

ENJOY the FL weather, I will be in Key west 1st week of year.  Can't wait to get out of the cold

2010-12-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3259111

User image

Expert
Caleb - I never really started biking until April of this year and am really trying to focus on it this year.  I am currently tearing my road bike apart to convert to tri bike (money's tight this year).  I might have some questions for you as I go along.

Also - that is great about going to Chiropractic school.  My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are both D.C.'s and have two really successful practice in the Chicago area.  I also have a good friend who is also a Chiropractor so I never have to pay for services -haha.

cspreiter - 2010-12-23 10:15 AM Hello, I'd like to join your group.  

Last year was my first year of triathlon and I absolutely love it.  I used to be a pure roadie for about 6 years but I developed some back problems and stopped riding for awhile.  A couple years and about 35 lbs later I decided I needed to do something.  My wife and I started to train for a 5k.  We'd been doing this for a few weeks when I saw a Biggest Loser special where one of their old contestants was doing Kona at 237lbs.  I thought if he can do that I surely could (I was weighing in at 245).  Since I had been running and had a background in riding, I was 2/3 of the way there. So that's how I got started. 

I've been married to my wonderful wife (and new member of BT.com) for 8 years and we have twin boys that are 2 1/2 which motivate me more than ever to get out of the house to train.

In 2010, I did 3 sprints and 1 oly.  I finished pretty well in each except my oly.  I had a rough experience.  In 2011, I'm going to do at least 2 sprints and an oly in June that is kind of a goal race since I did bad in my last one.  I'm going to be starting chiropractic school in May so we're moving sometime between now and then to Kansas City.  I'm not sure what that will do to my training but I'd like to fit in at least one more oly and a HIM. 

I am shooting for a weight loss goal before my first race.  Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between 209-212.  I'd like to get below 200 before my first race in April.  I got pretty close this year but just couldn't do it so hopefully I can clear that hurdle in 2011.
2010-12-23 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3259480

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Tim.

Thanks for the response and just an fyi - sometimes I want to use my clubs as swords to impale myself on as well - lol.

Yes there is a master's swim program at the college here. I have not summoned up enough courage to join yet. I want to feel like I can at least successfully complete a few laps so I don't want to get in anyone's way.

Will consider joining it early in the new year.

KC
2010-12-23 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Room for one?
  They call me the Iceman.  I was 400 pounds in 2005 at age 54.  Started riding a hybrid.  Lost weight, got a road bike, kept riding.  Beat cancer in 2006.     I rode 17 miles the morning of my surgery.
  Started doing the bike portion of tris for LinveSTRONG in 2007.  Liked the people.  Weight loss slowed as my body became more efficient at one sport.   Started running and took up swimming after a 40 year absence since high school.  Did my first sprint, oly and a hybrid distance longer than an oly in 2009.  Did a spring, oly and half IM in 2010.  Nursing an IT band toward the end of the year.  Just ramping up again now.
  I am a member of Vision Quest Coaching.  They are primarily bike oriented.  But my coach works all three sports into my routine. I get swimming help form the Masters.  Running help from the local run club.  Triathlon club has awesome people, too.
   I thrive on positive attitude.  Attitude is everything, according to Armstrong.  He is right.
   2011:  Ironman Wisconsin.  Why?  I want a tattoo.
   By the way, I am good about using the training log when I am in an active group...mine is far behind at the moment because the group stopped posting and I was hurt so I was only doing about 10 hours a week.   Starting to use it again today.  I also post to LiveSTRONG.com and Training Peaks.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-23 2:41 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76