2010-12-23 11:37 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-03 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3259281

Regular
Conejo Valley
Subject: RE: Troy's Group Open
Hi there.  My name is Brian, and I'd like to join your group.  I'm 54yo, married father of two kids.  I started triathlon's last summer, having been working on weightlosee starting in April 2009 when my doctor delivered me the same message he apparently sent to you!  I weighted 300 pounds on a 6'1" frame, and it was time to do something.  

Weightloss-  Over past 20 months I've lost 60 pounds.  I lost 52 pounds the first 52 weesk and then it slowed considerably in the past eight months.  I use Calorieking.com to log all food and exercise calories daily and I consume around 2400 kcal a day, and burn an average of 600 kcal a day for the past year.  I only weigh myself when I go to the doctor for regular appointments, and have enjoyed not starting at the scale every day and getting frustrated with random jumps up and down.

Triathlons-  I backed into the sport as I exercised to lose weight.  Started walking, then biking, then hiking, then jogging.  After a year I figured I might as well get in a pool and see if I could do it.  I did my first sprint last August, and my second tri was an OLY in September.  I finished both, but got  crushed by 102 degree heat at the OLY and took 4:30 to get done.  I am pondering an OLY to start this year with in the desert in earlly March, and I plan on doing about four races this season.

Workouts-   I bike twice a week, I run twice a week generally, and I swim twice a week on average.  I also do reformer Pilates twice a week to overcome age old back issues.  I tend to work out four weeks and then back off a week due to schedule/life, etc and it has prevented me from getting injured in the past 20 months it seems.  Confession-  I have not entered in the training log, so I will have to start doing that.

Issue-  It's minor, but I am getting cataract surgery Wednesday, so I will be unable to exercise for the next week to ten days.  Thus I won't get started really until that clears sometime next week.

Goal-  I'd like to finish an OLY comfortably and not in that heat, to see what I can do.  I think I need to mix weight training into my routine, but I frankly don't know how.  I'm still a big horse, going 238 lbs, so my ultimate goal is to get below 200 pounds, although I'm not obsessed with that target.  Getting into a pair of 38 waist jeans would be nice!

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.   I'm jamming in all the workouts I can before work restarts tomorrow and my surgery on Weds.  I'll enter that in my log and then pick up the trail when healed. 

Thanks!   brian
2011-01-04 8:43 PM

Hi Troy, I'd like to join your mentor group, if possible. My name is Kristin. I have completed 3 sprint triathlons here in Central New York over the past 2 years and would like to get serious with my training this year and do at least 3. Swim is my strong leg, run is my weak. Recovering from ITB/hip issues.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with two kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just getting back to running after 2 months off. Try to run outside, even in Syracuse snow storms. Up to running 25-30 minutes pain free. In pool 2 times a week, 2 spin classes a week. Just ordering a trainer. Just getting around to reading through all of the BT training programs.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Signing up for 3 sprint tris and 1 olympic distance.

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please!

Thanks!
2011-01-04 9:47 PM

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Troy,
I would also be interested in joining this group.   I'm 39 years old and a fellow school principal, although at the elementary level.  As a lifelong runner, I found myself looking for a new challenge after the holidays last January, and the desire to lose about 15 lbs (I wound up losing about 25). I'm starting my second year of triathlon after completing two sprint triathlons last summer.  In January 2010, I purchased a new road bike and began doing some riding when the weather was nice.  I continued to run and started swimming in late May, early June.  I really enjoyed the training leading up to the triathlon and I devoured any and all information and tips that I could find about multisport events.  At the end of July, I completed the Loveland Sprint Triathlon and I was hooked.  In September, I raced the Boulder Sunset Triathlon.  The race was delayed a couple of weeks due to a fire outside of Boulder, and as an afternoon event, it wound up being extremely hot.  I didn't reace as well as I had in June, but I still had a great time.  One of the things that I really like about triathlons is the mental aspect of it, both in training and racing.  You really have to plan, stay focused, and be able to adapt when conditions require.

Family- I've been married for 15 years and I have two wonderful daughters, ages 9 and 4.

Current Training- Just starting to do some base training right now and I'm concentrating on building endurance at the moment.  In a typical week, I will ride on the trainer 2-3 times for about 45-60 minutes, run twice a week, usually including 1 longer run of 6+ miles on the weekend.  I try to swim 1-2 times a week as well, usually between 1600 to 2500 yards each time.  I strength train 2 times a week and do core/ abdominal workouts daily.

2011 Races-  I'm very excited this year because I've talked my brother into trying a triathlon or two.  In high school we competed together in cross-country and track and endurance sports have always been a common interest for us and a way to stay connected.  This year I am planning on participating in a sprint triathlon in May (Summer Open Triathlon), and two Olympics (either Boulder Peak, Creek Streak, or Rattlesnake Triathlon). The Boulder Reservoir also has a 2.4 mile swim over Labor Day weekend that I'm interested in trying.

Goals- In my first sprint triathlon, I finished the swim towards the back half of my age group, my bike time put me in about the middle, but I finished in the top 3-4 in running.  In June I did a swim-run and finished about 150th in the swim, but 7th overall in the run.  When I review my training data, I realized I was still putting way more time in on the run and a lot less into swimming and biking.   This year I want to put a little more emphasis on the swimming and biking.  I've been working on swim technique quite a bit, and I know that with my new indoor trainer, I can get more miles in on the bike as well.  I would like to attempt a half IM within a couple of years and am considering Vineman as a possibility.

I would enjoy having some additional people to talk with and share advice and support!
2011-01-04 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3274839

Edited by tjohns 2011-01-04 10:32 PM
2011-01-04 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3278226

2011-01-04 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3278371

2011-01-05 12:57 AM

New user
Fairbanks

Hello I’m Jeff and I would like to indulge in your group. I’m a 46 yo Pediatric Nurse from Fairbanks, AK.  I’ve coached and shared training my son through his evolvement through sport. Preparing for an empty nest I trained and participated in 2 triathlons last year, one being an Exterra off-road triathlon. I also did a good amount of mountain biking.

I also started triathlon to loose weight. Through 2009-2010 I lost 40 lbs to my 5’11 frame and race triathlons at a clydesdale weight of 214 last year.  I’ve had to recover from tendonitis of the left knee for 2 years in a row.  In my recent recovery I’ve gained 12 lbs. of training deficit. My goal is dropping to a race weight below 200lbs for 2011.

Current training regimen- for recovery I’ve used elliptical and cross-country skiing. I’ve just restarted my training with yoga and core strength. My first session back on the treadmill was a success.  I feel prepared for starting the Olympic 20 week balanced.

Goals-

• Weight loss to ease the burden on my knee.
  • Start 2011 with a duathon.
  • Midnight Sun Run 10k.
  • Repeat off-road triathlon and improve.
  • Confiscate sons road bike for Olympic triathlon.

I would like to join this group as I am new to BT and have learned for reading articles on this site last year. I believe taking an active group role would enhance my coming year and be a fun endeavor.

Update as of Troy's 1/6/11 post and request.? As for heart-rate monitor I have the Garmin 310Xt. I do not have a power-meter but I do have access to a stationary virtual trainer with a wattmeter.

Edited by harlequinduck 2011-01-07 12:42 AM
2011-01-05 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3278551

Expert
CenTex
Hello, All.  I'd like to join the group and hopefully learn and gain some motivation.  I'm a 46 (almost 47) y.o. engineer in the Austin, TX, area.  I've been involved in triathlon in one form or another for almost 9 years but continue to learn and grow in the sport.

I have been interested in triathlon since the "Julie Moss moment" on Wide World of Sports.  I grew up an athlete, playing basketball and volleyball from my youth through my early 30's, when a knee injury brought that to a halt.  (I tore my ACL, MCL and meniscus during the opening week of my touring volleyball team's season.)  This event, and the ensuing lack of exercise, led to me putting on weight to a point that I was over 300 lbs.  At this point, I've gotten as low as 238 but I've put on weight again this year and currently weigh 263 lbs. 

I completed my 1st IM last year @ Louisville.  Upon completion of that, I returned to the couch and bad habit, eating and drinking far too much and exercising far too little.  This week, I started focusing on workouts again and have a goal of walking or running every day for at least 30 days.

My race goals for this year are to complete/compete at Redman in OK, and have fun at many shorter distance races.  I am also going to play volleyball again for the first time in many years, starting next week.

I'm looking forward to taking an active role in the group and learning as much as I can from everyone.  I will also be more than happy to share any experience that I have with everyone on the "team".
2011-01-05 10:37 AM

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

I would love to join this group if you will have me.  I love what you said, Troy, "the day-to-day/week-to-week training to me is the funnest part as I compete against myself to gain better fitness".  I also like the diversity I see so far in this group.   

Name: Carol (Squirt is one of my dogs)

Family Status: Married to my best friend for almost 23 years, 4 dogs, 1 cat, no kids

History:  I'm a CPA, and have an awesome setup for training.  I work from home most of the time, live very near a nice network of park trails, and have access to a 25 yard pool at the gym.  I've been running off and on for about 6 years, and really enjoy the outdoors.  I have done one sprint triathlon so far (October 2009), in addition to quite a few 5K's, a couple of 10K's and coming up on (hopefully) my 3rd half marathon.  But I've actually gotten slower, not faster, as I have allowed my weight creep up over the last several years to 145 (I'm 5 ft 4 on a good day).  While I'm pretty consistent with staying somewhat active (walking/jogging with one of my dogs most of the year), I tend to drift and lose focus on goals and/or get injured in the process of training.  I also have Type 1 diabetes (the kind the little kids get...a lifer on insulin) and wear an insuling pump 24X7.  So life, as well as training, includes a balancing act between insulin, activity, and carbs.  

Current Training: Currently in week 5 of Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program (beginner).  Run/Walk ratio is approx: run 1 mile, Walk 1/10th of a mile.  In races, I modify that as needed to walk the steepest uphills, test my blood sugar, consume carbs, etc.  My 1/2 training program includes a couple of days of cross training, so hoping to add some swimming, and eventually the bike back in on those days, but will be run focused until 2/27.

2011 Goals:  

Fillie Trot 10K on 1/29 (maybe...if it makes sense to give up my long run that week to do it)
Cowtown 1/2 Marathon on 2/27 (goal time 2:30)
Couple of Sprint Triathlons in the Spring TBD
Maybe an OLY in the fall if the Sprints go well, but I'm OK with sticking with the sprints as well
White Rock 1/2 marathon 12/4

Don't fold in the summer...Texas heat gets to me, and I tend to really slack off then.

Log my workouts!

Go from 145 lbs to 130 lbs by 5/31/11

Treat myself to a real road bike when I reach the above weight goal.  Current ride is a 10 year old (or maybe more) Gary Fischer mountain bike/hybrid retrofitted with skinny tires. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone, and learning from our mentor as well as the rest of the team!

Edited by squirt 2011-01-05 11:05 AM
2011-01-05 2:50 PM

Hi Troy,

After reading your story, I'd like to join the group.

Name: Nick

Family Status: Married for almost 5 years

History
: I currently work for an international non-profit organization and travel quite a bit for work.  Before starting this job I completed my first sprint triathlon.  After starting to work full-time, I really let my health go downhill.  I have been told by my doctor that I have high cholesterol and my family has a history of heart disease and diabetes.  I have decided to get back into triathlon training because it is a fun and fulfilling way to get back into shape.  I am also trying to strengthen a shoulder injury that I got about 2 years ago.

Current Training
: I have started to get back into an exercise routine with weight training and cardio.  I am leaving for a work trip to Central America in a week and will start the 16 week Olympic Distance training program when I return. My strongest tri event is actually the swim.  I placed first in my division during the swim in my first triathlon.  My weakest event is the run and I am average on the bike.  I would like to regain what I lost in skills after starting to work.

2011 Goals
:  I will be competing in the Columbus (OH) Olympic Distance Triathlon on June 26.  My goal is to ready myself for that event and I would also like to drop about 20 lbs.  A major goal is to stay focused on my traning during my busy travel season.

2011-01-05 9:51 PM

New user

Troy,

Please include me in your group.  I am coming from where you started.

Name:  Bob
Family Status:  Married 22 years
Four kids - 21,19,18,15
Dog:  Linus

I played sports in high school, for fun in college, but " like all of us who have kids, family and a high stress job, the couch was a lot more interesting on the weekends than did training."  One look at me now and you would think I could not even spell - let alone consider myself to be - athletic. 

I participated in a psuedo triathlon (canoe 10k downstream, run 10k back upstream, then bike 40k), but that was 10 years and 50 pounds ago.  My parents have both had knees and hips replaced (arthritus) and I need to prepare for that eventuality by losing weight.

So for the new year, and loving to swim, I swam over a half mile three straight days now, swimming too fast and too long.  I figure I need help to do this right and not go off half cocked purely on optimism.

I am an attorney by trade, but right now I am out of the business, working as a project coordinator for a small outsourcing IT company.

My goal is to first lose major weight, protecting my knees while doing so (workouts to be swim, bike, and walking).  Swimming is my strong suit, next is biking, but running is a distant 4th.  (that was a joke btw).

Races:  I want to do a full Olympic in July, but will settle for less if I am being too ambitious.  My 52 year old brother did his first Olympic last year in Chicago, and that looks like fun too.

So, Troy and group, am I worth saving?

2011-01-05 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3281146

Expert
CenTex
Absolutely!  We're all worth saving in one form or another.  Not meaning to speak for Troy but I say welcome to you all!  Let's get this training started!
2011-01-05 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3278433

New user

Good luck on surgery, and congrats on the weight loss!
Bob
2011-01-05 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3281154

New user

Thanks George!  I am with you, let's get this 2011 tri-season rolling!

I neglected to say I am 6'0' and 275 lbs.  Ouch!  Did I really just type that?  (I was 280 a few days ago!)  Ugh!!!!
2011-01-05 10:11 PM

Greetings:

Would like to join

2011-01-06 9:34 PM

Edited by tjohns 2011-01-06 9:35 PM
2011-01-07 7:41 AM

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Troy, glad you are getting your workouts in, but geesh 4:30?!

To answer your questions:

Heart Rate Monitor - Yes, have a Garmin 305

Power Meter - No, not sure exactly what that is....assuming something for the bike.  I ride an old mountain bike that just has the raw pedals (no clips, cages, etc).

Swimovate - No, but looks interesting.  I don't currently have any type of swimming timer/counter and tend to lose track of my laps.

Total Immersion Swimming - I watched a couple of free total immersion videos online when I was struggling learning to swim in 2009.  They are the only instruction I have had so far, and helped me reorient my thinking about swimming enough to actually enjoy it.

2011-01-07 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3284002

Expert
CenTex

HRM - I have a couple but have put them away.  I am trying not to be a slave to technology and race more by feel.  I have found that I am able to pace myself based on fitness level and RPE just as effectively. 
Power Meter - I do not have a power meter and have not ever used one.  While I'm intrigued by it, see above re: technology.  I want a fast bike but figure that I can train myself to get to a desired speed/fitness level.  I have some favorite Spinervals videos that help me develop/maintain speed throughout the year.
Swimovate - Nope.
Total Immersion - I seen some of the videos and have picked pieces out of it that are helpful.  I'm a pretty strong swimmer and can swim relatively efficiently, when I train in that sport.  It's usually what I ignore the most b/c I know that it doesn't take me long to get back to form.

2011-01-07 10:33 AM

Houston, Texas

Hi all, would it be OK if I joined as well?

Me: Mike, 42 years old.  I have never been an athlete.  In 2009 I started working out and running to lose weight.  After some initial success, a friend at work told a couple of us about this Triathlon coming up in 2010.  One guy signed up and the challenge was on.  I ridiculously said OK, and the rest is history.

Family Status: Married w/ two kids: 6 year old (will soon be 7) and a 2 year old

Current Training:  After being a slug for the holidays, I'm getting back to a training routine.  Before slacking off, I was swimming 1000 yds 2 times a week, running 4-5 mi three times a week, stationary bike 2 times a week, and riding on the weekend 14 - 20 miles.  I dutifully log in the BT training area, which I love.  I've changed it up now to swim/run 3 times a week.  I get up at 4:30 every morning to do this, as I have no other free time.

2011 races: So far I'm only signed up for the Galveston Sprint in April.  I will most likely do a race every one or two months through the fall.

2010 races (all also logged in BT): 
                    Galveston Sprint - April
                    Sugar Land Sprint - June
                    Clear Lake Sprint - August
with mixed results

Weightloss:  I started in 2009 at 224 (I'm 5' 9").  By the time of my first race, I had lost 30 lbs.  I've gained some back in the fall (I'm at 202 now), but I hope to lose at least another 20 by this coming April.  My problem is not exercise, it's intake right now.  McDonalds is my frenemy.

Goal:  For my first race I just wanted to finish.  The second race nearly caused me to quit forever, but I was inspired at the last minute, and will never again think that way.  This year my goal is to finish in the top half of my age group.  So far I'm working toward this goal by inviting as many first-timers in my AG to the next race as possible.    My other goal is to figure out how to use the HRM on my Garmin (that I bought last year - love it!) and use that information.

I'm looking for a mentor or group that can help me stay on track and figure out how to take my training to the next level.

2011-01-07 5:15 PM

I am a special education teacher, age 53. I used to do triathlons in the 80's and early 90's, but haven't competed since '92. I am currently running 30 minutes about 2 times per week, biking an hour twice a week, and swimming 30 minutes once a week. This rekindled interest in the sport has occurred after 18 years of total inactivity and an increase of 80 lbs on my frame. 40 of the lbs are off, but I'm nowhere near my competitive weight.

My goals are to lose the remaining 40 lbs, and to have fun competing. I'm not interested in triathlon bars, and am very disappointed that triathlons won't allow a recumbent bike (my budget is shot on a conventional road bike which doesn't help the arthritis in my tailbone).

Any help is appreciated. Your education background was an instant draw - understanding the demands of a proactive educator.

Russ Howe - Mt Zion, IL 

2011-01-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3283600

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Happy weekend everyone!  I am hoping that the weather will cooperate tomorrow and I can unhook from the trainer and ride outside for a change.  For xmas I purchased a New Balance Heart rate monitor, but it's fairly basic (I have to guestimate my own average).  I should have held out for a Garmin 305, but opted for aerobars, a fast forward seatpost, and a professional fitting instead.  Still I've done 1 threshold test for the run, so I've been toying with zones a little bit. 
No experience with power meters, swimovate (looks very cool!), or Total Immersion.  
Finally, what training, racing plans does everyone have this weekend?
2011-01-07 7:49 PM

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hi all, looks like our group is coming along nicely!  Great line -- "mcdonalds is my frenemy".  After dinner snacking is mineEmbarassed, but I have put the fork down for the day!

Today was my rest day, and I just got a call from my running friend that she will be joining me for 6 miles in the morning.  Should be good running weather .  Swam on Thursday.  Had to get a new swim cap since my other one had disintegrated.  Yep, it had been a while since I'd been to the pool! 

Happy training and resting all around!
2011-01-08 8:44 AM

New user

Hi all,  I just took 2 days off, after swimming 3 straight days.

Today I plan to get on an arc trainer.  I need to really babysit my knees for a while I lose weight, and very much fear an injury will spoil my plans.

I am looking for a used heart rate monitor and software I can upload the stats, as well as finding a bike.  Unfortunately, I do not have much money to spend. 

I LOVE IT I'LL HAVE "FRIENDS" TO CHAT WITH IN THIS ENDEAVOR!!!!  I need to research this site to figure out all it has to offer, and will upload a photo soon. 

Bob
2011-01-08 10:30 AM

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey Bob, sounds like you are training smart!  Like you, I don't want to spend a lot of money, so plan to use what I have at this point.  Fortunately, I received a Garmin 305 as a gift several years ago.

OK, so the run did not go well today.  Had sharp pain in my right (outer) knee that stopped me in my tracks.  Got in 5 miles before the show came to halt.  Tried to pick back up a couple times, but no-go.  I suspect IT band issues, and this is like what happened to me in my 1/2 last yr.  Any advice?

Did run by a sick calf in the field and reported back to the lady at the "ranch" house, so I guess maybe that was the purpose in today's run. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Troy's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 4