BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2010-12-23 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start mentoring on New Year, 2011
NAME:
username: evillarroel / first name: Ernesto
STORY: I am a very busy person, father of five, work for an oil company and had a short (only two years) career as a triathlete although a very succesful one having completed a full Ironman in 12 hours 14 minutes a year after I started doing this.
FAMILY STATUS: Married to a beautiful woman, Schoolteacher (kinder) and father. I'm originally from Argentina. 
CURRENT TRAINING: I train an average eight hours a week, I'm very well rounded in all three sports, not the fastest but very, very consistent. I started getting podium finishes lately but not first place (yet).
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This coming year 2011 I'll be doing the inaugural Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 and the inaugural Ironman Texas (full), then I'll probably go back to some base during the summer and maybe do another 70.3 and a few Olympics and Sprints maybe. 
2010 RACES:  I did two 70.3s (NOLA and Austin) and had my share of humble pie due to mispacing the bike in Austin (and a flat tire).
WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 20 lbs in a month when I started doing this (in conjuction with dieting). 
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I collected a lot of information (I'm a bit of a geek) about triathlons. I have a very hollistic approach to this whole thing (training/rest/nutrition) and I can put all this very simple to anyone. Also, I understand the anxiety, nervousness and self doubt that you have at the beginning of this journey. I thought myself that I'd never finish a sprint and thirteen months later I was crossing the finish line of Ironman Arizona with an impecable race.
I'm super passionate about triathlons. 

Edited by evillarroel 2011-01-25 6:56 AM

2011-01-03 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3259938

New user

Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
Hello Ernesto...are you accepting members for mentoring? If so, I would like to join. You sound like a great mentor and a perfect fit. I'm a newbie...never competed in triathlon.
2011-01-04 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3275695

User image

Master
Dallas
bswiles - 2011-01-03 9:56 PM Hello Ernesto...are you accepting members for mentoring? If so, I would like to join. You sound like a great mentor and a perfect fit. I'm a newbie...never competed in triathlon.

Absolutely, the group went live yesterday and you're the first one. Welcome! now, please tell me a little about yourself, your goal race and your athletic background (if any). Also you're welcome to ask any questions. 
2011-01-04 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3276201

New user

Edited by bswiles 2011-01-10 12:10 PM
2011-01-04 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3277487

User image

Master
Dallas
bswiles - 2011-01-04 3:06 PMGreat...at least I'm first in something!I'm 47, married with a 12 year old daughter. I was running quite a bit last year in addition to 3 or 4 karate classes a week...but lately my exercise has diminished. I was on weightwatchers last year and went from 220 to 188 pounds but have unfortunately gained most of it back. Weight is a huge issue for me. It drives me crazy that I struggle with it. I hope my training will allow me to get back down to a goal weight of around 180. (which is what I weighed in the Army). I'm 5'10"My physical activity last year consisted of the martial arts classes, running and training for a mountain climbing course in the Cascades. Mountain climbing will always be some type of an annual adventure/trip for me. In 2010, my wife and I competed in a 6 hour trail run and a few short 5k's. I also previously (2008) ran a half marathon. She is an avid runner, hard to keep up with and looged over 1000 miles in 2010. I have always loved triathlon but never competed. I follow the sport as a fan with the intention of someday competing...and now I'm 47...that someday is now. My goals are to train for a sprint first...then if things go well I would love to do longer races. I would also like to do some duathlons if possible. Being in Oklahoma, racing can be pretty limited, but there are a few races in Oklahoma City and Tulsa...and Dallas is only 4 hours away. I'm not worried about the run but the swim is a different matter. My home has a pool so I really have no excuse for not being a better swimmer...I am planning on finding a local swim coach if needed,to help. The bike does worry me a bit. I have not ridden very much. I need to overcome a fear I have of getting hit by cars. An avid bicyclist was killed a few months ago less than a mile from my house. I'm not sure how to overcome this fear other than just getting out there and facing it...I have an old mountain bike but am looking for a road bike in the 200 to 300 dollar range to purchase as an "entry level" ride. I already found one and will be looking at it in the next few days.My job is a desk job. I spend most of the day sitting. so to sum it up...Goal #1: establish a good solid training programGoals #2: Complete a Sprint distance triathlon or longer if things progress well enough Goal # 3: lose about 40 poundsConcerns: Swimming, time management and the issue I mentioned with the bike.I'm glad that you are available for mentoring. I look forward to asking a few questions..going over my training log/plan...and sharing in your passion for Triathlon...lets get going!!!
Well, you got the hardest part done, which is running. Most people has an issue with that part mostly. Now, for the bike portion, I highly recommend that you find a local group of roadies, for a number of reasons:1- They know local routes that are "safe".2- They ride in numbers, that makes them more visible therefore safer.3- It is a fun environment, and there's always the challenge part.4- When you're too tired, you can draft off somebody else's wheel.5- Once you go once or twice, you mentally make the commitment to go. Consistency is the number one factor for success.Ok, about the swim, your idea of hiring a coach is excellent. The swim is about TECHNIQUE and FORM. Most people tries to muscle their way through the water and this will lead to exhaustion and dissapointment. An efficient stroke is built over time, but it is good to create good stroke habits from the get go before the bad ones (i.e.: head lifted, poor recovery phase, weak kick) are "cemented" in your muscle memory because you put too many yards swimming the wrong way.Same as with the bike, consistency is success. The first few sessions of pool can be very frustrating, you might only get a couple of hundred yards and call it quits because you'll feel no progress. Just keep at it and don't despair, it takes about a month to build up to a sprint distance swim (900 yds) in one shot.Do you live in Tulsa? I was there a few weeks ago (for Christmas) and ran down the Skiatook Trail. It's great for biking because it is very long (15 miles) and no traffic exposure except the crossings but they're very well marked. Ideal for the bike and run. Pancake flat.I struggled with the weight in the past as well, I guess the best reccomendation that I can make is stay away from refined sugars and flours, lots of vegetables and quality protein, such as lean chicken breast and fish. We can talk about nutrition a little bit more if you'd like.Also, the best way to get rid of weight is to teach your body to use fats as the primary source of fuel for your workouts instead of readily available sugars. This is achieved by staying in the aerobic zone for the majority of your workouts (mostly your long ones). When we create a training schedule we'll go into more detail on this as well.For that we need to talk about time. You said that you're somewhat restrained. What is your availability? what about weekends? Let me know which hours are best for you and we can work something out. You should probably look at putting most of your volume during the weekend and some short, high quality stuff during the week.It would be helpful if you have a Garmin or a Polar with a HR monitor, this is KEY to measure effort level and establish training zones.Finally, I want to say it is a pleasure to meet you, I share the mountaneering passion as well, my goal is to climb Aconcagua (in Argentina, my Country of birth) during 2012. It happens to be the highest peak in the Americas. We have a lot in common and I'm glad we met. Please let me know when you'd like to do your first Sprint, I could recommend some good races. I'm in Dallas, TX.
2011-01-04 5:57 PM

Hi my name is Joan & I would love to join your group! I'm 42 with two very active boys (5yr & 20mo). I'm training for my first ironman (St George) in May!!

2011-01-04 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3277909

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-04 5:57 PM Hi my name is Joan & I would love to join your group! I'm 42 with two very active boys (5yr & 20mo). I'm training for my first ironman (St George) in May!!

Hi Joan! Wow, that's a goal!! IMSG is gonna be about the same time as my IMTX (just a couple of weeks apart) so we'll be putting the big work in the winter months.
I've been told by three peeps that the race course is pure beauty. I want to do it one day. Is this your first IM?
What have you done in the past? Times? Goal for this race?
I glanced at your logs and either you haven't trained a whole lot or you haven't logged it. What is it? We're only 17 weeks away so I bet the game face is on.
BTW, welcome to the group Joan.
Waiting to hear from you.
2011-01-04 8:47 PM

Hi, all!

I would also like to join this group. My goal is a bit more modest- an Olympic in May, but I think being around people who can inspire me to do more will be really beneficial! I'm 18, a freshman at Harvard University and originally from Ann Arbor, MI. I have done a bit of competitive swimming and some recreational running and biking, and hope to use triathlon training as a more diverse way to keep in top shape through college! Hopefully it would be alright if I join in this group.

Happy new year, all!

Laura 
2011-01-04 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3278235

User image

Master
Dallas
lauramargaret - 2011-01-04 8:47 PM Hi, all!

I would also like to join this group. My goal is a bit more modest- an Olympic in May, but I think being around people who can inspire me to do more will be really beneficial! I'm 18, a freshman at Harvard University and originally from Ann Arbor, MI. I have done a bit of competitive swimming and some recreational running and biking, and hope to use triathlon training as a more diverse way to keep in top shape through college! Hopefully it would be alright if I join in this group.

Happy new year, all!

Laura 

Hi Laura,

Happy New Year to you too! good to know younger triathletes, not too many out there but growing fast. You're welcome to the group and let me know what I can do for you (i.e.: set up a training schedule, answer questions, etc.). I bet you have a huge aerobic base from the long swims you competitive swimmers put in.
That advantage will probably set you up for some fast times with the proper training and nutrition. So, game on!
2011-01-04 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
TO ALL THE MEMBERS IN THE GROUP:

Keeping an updated training log is an essential tool for good results for multiple reasons:

1- To help you track your own progress (your mind can be very deceiving and forgetful).
2- As a motivational tool, because you see the changes in your performance.
3- To detect overtraining (the pace slows down without any obvious reasons). This is key for injury prevention, tired muscles do not recover if you train them before they heal. Always remember: Training=work+rest
4- As a tool for me to see where you stand and what you can do. Please write down next to the workout your RPE (rate of perceived exertion) in a scale from 1 to 10. One being a walk in the park with Sparkie and ten being an all out sprint for your life.
5- If you have a HR monitor, USE IT! nothing gives you a better perspective. It's also useful to establish heart rate zones.

Stay tuned.
2011-01-04 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3277977

Yes, my first IM. I have been training, but I've been logging my training by pen & paper since I lost my training log on another web site! I've done two half Ironmans about 6 years ago (before kids). I just want to finish (at a fairly decent time) I'm thinking about 13 hrs. I'm really excited and really nervous!!

2011-01-05 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3278483

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-04 10:55 PM Yes, my first IM. I have been training, but I've been logging my training by pen & paper since I lost my training log on another web site! I've done two half Ironmans about 6 years ago (before kids). I just want to finish (at a fairly decent time) I'm thinking about 13 hrs. I'm really excited and really nervous!!

Are you training with some kind of structure now? weekly mileage? St George is a demanding course, the peeps that went to it have previous times of 11:30hrs but did Utah in about 14. Are you doing hills in your training?
2011-01-05 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3278782

I'm pretty much following BTs ironman training plan. Slightly less (1-2) hours than specified. My running has some pretty good hills, but not the bike, yet. I'm thinking about getting the "Hillatious" spinerval DVD though. You're making me really nervous now!Can you recommend the best water bottle setup. Two behind the seat or the large one up by the aerobars?
2011-01-05 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3280407

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-05 3:44 PM I'm pretty much following BTs ironman training plan. Slightly less (1-2) hours than specified. My running has some pretty good hills, but not the bike, yet. I'm thinking about getting the "Hillatious" spinerval DVD though. You're making me really nervous now!Can you recommend the best water bottle setup. Two behind the seat or the large one up by the aerobars?

Actually the Inviscid design aerobottle is great, I used to have two gorilla cages in the back and and a the one between the bars (profile design) and I dumped them for the aerobottle, it's easy to refill (big mouth), holds 40oz and you don't need to get off the bar to drink.
Hillatious is great, and no, I'm not trying to scare you. I guess I'm trying to make sure you're creating the huge aerobic base needed for an Ironman. Fear is good, though. It will make you respect the distance and take it easy. If you read my race report for IMAZ you'll see what I'm talking about.
Things to keep in mind for the race:
1- The swim is just a ticket to keep racing, the difference between a great swim and a "bad one" is only about five minutes. Don't waste energy trying to beat everybody to T1, five or ten minutes are literally nothing in this race.
2- The first thirty miles of the bike should be done at a pace below easy, almost ridiculously slow. Trust me, it pays off.
3- Have a nutrition plan that has worked in training, if they give you Ironman Perform on the course train with the same or bring your own (such as Infinit or Perpetuem). Take most of your calories on the bike, the run will turn your stomach upside down.
4- Race in a mental "box", don't play games with other competitors, focus on yourself and your comfort level.
5- Being the first full IM (and not knowing what the distance will do tour body), should wipe out a goal time. Finishing is a great goal, taking the pressure off will help you pace better.

Also, if you're doing the BT training plan you'll do great, even by shorting it a couple hours a week.
2011-01-05 10:32 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Hi Ernesto (& gang),
I'd like to join your group.  I'm going into my 4th season, however, season one was slow and season two was short due to a blown out ACL.  I think your group would be a great fit for me as that I'll be doing my first 70.3 this summer and could use a little guidance and pushing.  Also, BT has been a true inspiration and push for me, however, lately it seems like I've lost a little bit of commitment to it.  I'm hoping that getting in w/ a mentor group, will help me get back in the groove of hanging out on BT again.  I'll try to get up early in the am and post my full training bio

THANKS
Heather
2011-01-05 10:34 PM

New user

Hello Group...Its very motivating to hear everyone's story...Training for IM and competing while attending Harvard!

Ernesto: I will be out on the bike some this weekend, trying to get back in to the swing of things. You asked about my time availability. I would like to work out 5 days a week and definitely on Saturday and Sunday. This would leave me 2 days off during the week to work late, chase after my daughter, etc. I think I could do 8 hours a week. Is that enough? I don't yet have a race in mind but I'm thinking May or June would work to find a nice race.

I do have a Garmin and use it everytime I run. I have a hear rate monitor that goes with it as well.

Still looking at swim coaches. I might be traveling to Tulsa (I live in Stillwater, about 60 miles west of tulsa or 60 miles north of OKC) 1 day a week to work one on one with a coach. Still not decided on one as of yet. I can swim at the YMCA here in the winter. When we discuss training plans should I work around the swim and fill in the rest of the days with running and biking?

I'm very much looking forward to the next 3 or 4 months...and hearing from everyone....

thanks!

2011-01-05 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3281204

User image

Master
Dallas
geauxtri - 2011-01-05 10:32 PM Hi Ernesto (& gang),
I'd like to join your group.  I'm going into my 4th season, however, season one was slow and season two was short due to a blown out ACL.  I think your group would be a great fit for me as that I'll be doing my first 70.3 this summer and could use a little guidance and pushing.  Also, BT has been a true inspiration and push for me, however, lately it seems like I've lost a little bit of commitment to it.  I'm hoping that getting in w/ a mentor group, will help me get back in the groove of hanging out on BT again.  I'll try to get up early in the am and post my full training bio

THANKS
Heather

Heather,

Welcome to the group! I'm glad you're trying to go back into high gear, this is a lifetime sport. Don't worry, we all have our "low motivation" seasons. The good thing is not to force yourself to train and race when you don't wish to do so, we're not pros making a living out of this so it has to be FUN.
Looking forward to hear some more from you.

Which Half have you decided for?
2011-01-05 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3281209

User image

Master
Dallas
bswiles - 2011-01-05 10:34 PM Hello Group...Its very motivating to hear everyone's story...Training for IM and competing while attending Harvard! Ernesto: I will be out on the bike some this weekend, trying to get back in to the swing of things. You asked about my time availability. I would like to work out 5 days a week and definitely on Saturday and Sunday. This would leave me 2 days off during the week to work late, chase after my daughter, etc. I think I could do 8 hours a week. Is that enough? I don't yet have a race in mind but I'm thinking May or June would work to find a nice race. I do have a Garmin and use it everytime I run. I have a hear rate monitor that goes with it as well. Still looking at swim coaches. I might be traveling to Tulsa (I live in Stillwater, about 60 miles west of tulsa or 60 miles north of OKC) 1 day a week to work one on one with a coach. Still not decided on one as of yet. I can swim at the YMCA here in the winter. When we discuss training plans should I work around the swim and fill in the rest of the days with running and biking? I'm very much looking forward to the next 3 or 4 months...and hearing from everyone.... thanks!

Brian, 8 hours is more than enough for a Sprint or even an Olympic distance. It is also great that you carry all you fitness from running, it will make things a lot easier for you. I didn't know that getting a swim coach was such an issue for you, maybe you wanna give it a little more thought?
Please send me a PM with a couple of links to your Garmin workouts so I can get an idea... Maybe a race at high intensity such as a 5K and a long slow run. That will give me a pretty good idea of your fitness level and we can set something up accordingly.
The way that it usually works well is long bike on Saturday and long run on Sunday. during the week two swims, one additional ride (indoors if you want, like a spin class) and two short runs with more focus on intensity. Mondays and Fridays are usually two great days to take off, so you can prepare for the weekend and then recover from it. A tired body DOES NOT MAKE PROGRESS.
But we can work something very personalized once I look at your Garmin workouts.
Also, it would probably be good to choose a race no later than May or after September, you don't want to do your first one in the heat of the Southern States.
2011-01-06 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
Utah
Okay... so here's my story (I tend to talk alot, so I'll try to keep it short )

Name:  geauxtri/Heather
Story:  I started training for a tri in Dec 2007, per the thoughts that it was about time this southern girl learn how to swim and as that I was gaining weight while working in the fitness and recreation industry (all work and no play will do that to you   ).  My educational background is all about personal training and exercise physiology (MS), but it does you no good if you don't make the time to apply it in your own life.  So there began the journey.  Along the way I've run a 1/2M, one tri, and biked metric century all with a blown out ACl and torn miniscus that sidelined me for the remainder of that season.  It seems that this recovery has been long and slow.
I've always been a natural for the bike, but running and swimming have been hard for me to accomplish (esp the run!).
Family Status: I'm going on 10yrs of a happy marriage w/ two lil' boys (soon to be 8 & 5)  We have a camper trailer, and therefore camp for most of the races out here.
Current Training:  Right now I'm following a 1/2M plan that I've modified for some tri base as well.  I haven't been doing much since my last tri in September.  So now is the time to kick it in gear!
2010 Races: Last summer I did a few sprints (OWS), my first century, my first 10k trail (FYI:  running on a US olympic nordic course is no fun), and my first Olympic (which was kind of ugly , but I finished   )
2011 Races: So far I only have everything mapped out to Vineman 70.3
1/2 Marathon - March 26th
Century - May 7th (Grueling canyon that I MUST defeat   )
SG Tri Olympic - May 21st
??? - I need something in early June (maybe just a hard brick training day?)
Rock Cliff Olympic - June 25th
Vineman 70.3 - July 17th
???  I have a friend trying to convince me to do LOTOJA in September.  (bike from Logan UT to Jackson Hole WY)  But first I've got to get a roadie.
Weightloss: yeah, like every woman I'd like to shed a few; however, I know it will come off with adequate training and nutrition, so I'm not worrying about it.  I'm currently just over 150 and would love to get back to my grad school weight of 135/140.  Once again, I'm not stressing over it... I'm just thrilled that my "baby pouch" is finally going away

I look forward to getting to know everyone!!

Edited by geauxtri 2011-01-06 10:08 AM
2011-01-06 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3281242

User image

Elite
Utah
evillarroel - 2011-01-05 10:20 PM

THANKS
Heather

Heather,

Welcome to the group! I'm glad you're trying to go back into high gear, this is a lifetime sport. Don't worry, we all have our "low motivation" seasons. The good thing is not to force yourself to train and race when you don't wish to do so, we're not pros making a living out of this so it has to be FUN.

Vineman 70.3
We decided to incorporate it w/ family vacation.  As well, I have some training buddies that are going to head out and do it too (well one for sure, the rest are on the short list to get in)
2011-01-06 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3280925

Ernesto -
Thanks for the great advice on the race.  Do you know of anyone that has a race report for IMSG? What would you recommend for nutrition on the bike - they offer Ironman Perform, but have you tried Infinit or Perpetuem? I've heard good things about Infinit.
I know this is looking way ahead, but my family is looking to vacation around St. George after the race.  I know everybodys different but how long does it take to recover? Did you sleep for a couple of days after? how sore were you?
Thanks,
Joan

2011-01-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3282422

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-06 12:25 PM Ernesto -
Thanks for the great advice on the race.  Do you know of anyone that has a race report for IMSG? What would you recommend for nutrition on the bike - they offer Ironman Perform, but have you tried Infinit or Perpetuem? I've heard good things about Infinit.
I know this is looking way ahead, but my family is looking to vacation around St. George after the race.  I know everybodys different but how long does it take to recover? Did you sleep for a couple of days after? how sore were you?
Thanks,
Joan

Infinit is pretty much a "customized" drink. They make it to your specs (percentage of glucose, BCAA amino acids, carbs, etc). Perpetuem (and the whole line of Hammer products) is low glycemic index. They basically stimulate you usage of fats for fuel instead of the readily available (though limited) glycogen stores. Perpetuem has worked wonders with me but only on the bike course, when I'm running I need sugar so I took oranges and grapes on the course (as much as I could eat) and it was great. The good thing about using fruit for fuel is that is a simple sugar (requires no digestion), complex ones such as fructose syrup (Gatorade) are hard to digest and create cramps and side stitches, sometimes severe (read my New Orleans 70.3 race report). Regardless, everybody's metabolism is different, that's why I suggested you try by yourself and DO NOT IMPROVISE ON RACE DAY.
About the days after, I felt normal, pretty sore in my legs. No sleeping two days straight though... 

About the race reports, got to this link, there's 28 to choose from. Look at all of them if you can:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=26132
2011-01-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3281946

User image

Master
Dallas
geauxtri - 2011-01-06 10:09 AM
evillarroel - 2011-01-05 10:20 PM

THANKS
Heather

Heather,

Vineman 70.3
We decided to incorporate it w/ family vacation.  As well, I have some training buddies that are going to head out and do it too (well one for sure, the rest are on the short list to get in)

Gorgeous race, I've heard. Drink a lot of wine for me, just don't do it the night before the race, hehe.
2011-01-06 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
Ernesto,

I would love to join your group if there is still room.  I started training for a sprint tri the 2nd week of December 2010.  I am currently a cyclist and have done a century and a metric century.  I was getting bored with riding long rides on the weekends and my eye doctor recommended that I try a tri.  I used to run when I worked for the military.  I am meeting a swim coach tonight, as swimming is my weak link.  I am not as fast as I think I should be, but my persistence and discipline usually make up for it.

I am currently a high school math teacher (my class is working on their homework right now).   I am 58 years old (ouch) but am told I look like I'm in my mid to late 40s.  I am single with no children at home, so my time is my own.  I usually have lots of energy, so this fits right in.

I am very slender and have never really had a weight problem.  I do eat very healthy most of the time.  Chocolate is my weakness Laughing

I have been logging my workouts at workoutlog.com, but I have no problem switching to BT.

Jackie
Just Do It
2011-01-06 3:09 PM

Verona
Hello Ernesto,
Looks like you may still have room for someone that needs some help. Hope this is still open after I post.

thanks,
Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25