BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Deb's Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-01-03 8:36 PM

Veteran
Subject: Deb's Group FULL

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Immediately
NAME: sheesleeva / Deb
STORY: I am a 40 year old professional woman, volunteer in my community, and play team sports - basketball, soccer and softball.  The team sports are fun, triathlon is the most rewarding.  I learned to swim as an adult and was rather obese at 20.  I triathlon to challenge myself, to stay healthy, and to pat myself on the back. 
FAMILY STATUS: Single 
CURRENT TRAINING: Generally run on my own, 1/2 and 1/2 training with someone else on the bike. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I finished my first 70.3 last summer,   
2011 RACES:  I am doing two 70.3s this year and a full iron in November.
WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose 8-10 pounds this year
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Having started doing tris two years ago, the questions of a newbie are still fresh in my head.  I also remember the nervousness of my first sprint and the difficulty of a 70.3.  My first tri I only did one leg of it on a mt. bike. I have suffered the angst of having been DQ'ed from a race because of a race organizers mistake mis-timing the swim and dq'ing 600 of us, and then my next attempt choosing on my own to throw in the towel because I paniked on the swim, but one month later I did complete the 70.3 with a swim time under an hour -- in other words, I have felt the frustration of someone else's mistake and mental defeat in three months, but was able to overcome the self talk and crush by my standards one month later.   I good mentor will know how to encourage, emphathize with the self doubt, defeats and injuries, and talk people to the start line -- hopefully being in their head during the race too.

Additionally, I have done a lot of tri gear shopping and testing, including entry level road bike, a tri bike, and a high end road bike.  A good mentor should have knowledge of gear and what equipment will work, regardless of budget.  I will check with my group at least several times a week and love sharing my knowledge of tri with others when people want to know the information -- how exciting, I get to talk about it!

2011-01-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3275529

Subject: RE: Deb's Group OPEN
You sound like the perfect "mentor" for me. I'm not sure if this is the way to officially join, if it is then consider it done, if not perhaps you could enlighten me. Thank you
2011-01-12 11:53 AM

I would like to join!

About me:  I am a 38 year old mother of two.  One year ago I weighed 200 lbs and had horrible plantar facititis in my feet.  One day I just decided that enough is enough and lost some weight.  After losing about 30 lbs I decided I wanted to do Iron Girl 2011 and gave myself one year to train for it.  However my local  YMCA offered a 'Y Not Tri" last July and I was able to complete (although I was dead last).

So I have one 1/2 sprint tri and two 5k's under my belt. 

I currently weigh 160 and would like to lose 20 more lbs.

My problem is that I am super slow and am nervous that I will not be able to finish Iron Girl in under 3 hours (realistic or not, my goal is 2 hours).  I can only run a 11.5 minute mile and it takes me 30 minutes to swim 500 meters.  So I have a long way to go.

Looking forward to being in this group.  I am super scared and anxious about the race and it is over 6 months away.  Do you think I can realistically finish this race in 2 hours if I train hard?  I am not sure if 6 months is giving me enough time.
2011-01-14 8:10 PM

I would like to join your group. I am 40 years old and very nervously signing up for my first two sprint tri's in 2011.  I have never been athletic prior to about 3ish years ago when I started biking and this last season I biked 3500 miles, ran a few 5Ks and am now learning to swim (up to 20 ish laps).

Julie
2011-01-14 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3275627

Veteran
Hello, and welcome!  yes, you are officially in.  Please do tell me more about yourself, your background and a little on why tri.

Deb
2011-01-14 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3300689

Veteran
Hi Julie,
Welcome, and way to go getting started.  I know how scary it is to do the first and there is no way to get rid of those nerves, but you can lesson them.  Sounds like you did a great job on the bike miles last year, and 20 laps is pretty decent.  All of my sprint and Olmpic distant races I same sort of dog paddlish.  You get to the end of the swim, and you are so happy you made the swim, the bike is easy -- then you are on air because you are already a monster biker.  running, well, trust me, you may be konking, but so are the other people!  welcome.  and please give me a little information about your location - - I have lived on both coast, north and south, so curious about the training conditions. 

2011-01-14 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3294887

Veteran
Hi Becca,
Great for you and what a wonderful gift to your kids!  I had something similar as you when I was in my 20s.  I was over 200 lbs and one day, laying on the coach, eating a bag of candy corn, I had enough, got up and called the gym.  It was not an easy road and I would run one block, walk two, run one, walk two.  It was tough being single, I can't imagine doing it with kids, but what a wonderful example for the kids.  one of my favorite things to do when I became a better runner was to go with an 8 year-old girl I babysat.  She would take her bike and I would run.  It was a wonderful bonding time for us as she had to keep a slow, easy pace for a bike, and she had me to herself.  We talked about all kinds of things on those runs.  My first race was also Iron Girl -- I really love that race.  Women are so kind to one another in that environment.  there is nothing wrong with being dead last -- you were still much faster than all those people who never even started.  Remember five years ago, what was your thought then -- what a victory to finish!   I had wanted to do a triathlon for years, but never thought it was possible because of my fear of water.  Even after I lost weight and started running -- running 5 marathons, I still didn't think I could.  The inspiration was my good friend Jen.  She was a huge advocate of triathlons, and she is almost always dead last.  She talked 6 of us into doing an olympic distance -- right after she had done a 70.3.  she is 60 pds overweight and did a 70.3, coming in dead last, but she did it.

absolutely you can finish in 2 hours if you train.  make physical activity apart of every day.  all those little things add up.  when you go to the store, don't circle for a spot, pick the spot farther away from the door.  i never pick the farthest, but I do go into the very first I see.  Your body gets used to moving the more you move.  Does not have to be in running shoes and on the bike.   Don't worry so much about the time, just get out and enjoy being active every day, even if it means getting a pedometer to make sure you take 10,000 steps on the days you don't work out (it will get you to do two extra loops around the grocery store just to hit your mark on those days), the time will take care of itself. 
2011-01-14 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3275627

Veteran
Hi Bobalcorn, -- the first reply was for you, as i didn't have a name -- so a name too please.  Smile
2011-01-15 2:59 PM

Veteran
Hi everyone,

It is a rainy, rainy day here.  With the weather, I wanted to throw a thought out there regarding training with the weather is not particularly hospitable.  Over the years I have read a number of articles about the time of day people should exercise for the best health benefits.  The results are non-definitive, with the conclusion depending on the researcher.  My own experience has been, the time of day does have a direct bearing on whether the weather makes a difference.  If I get into a morning routine, I get up and go regardless of weather.  When I lived in Minnesota, I would get up and run even when it was -20 --- I had great winter gear.  On the other hand, if I get into a routine where I wait until later in the day, the weather gives me a lot of excuses when it's crummy weather time of the year. 

What have the rest of you experienced?

2011-01-15 4:54 PM

New user

Hello. I'd like to join the group as well. My name is Melanie and I'm 41.

I did 4 sprint triathlons last season and am looking forward to trying a few Olympic distance races this season. I played highly competitive traveling Ultimate frisbee for 15 years until I tore my ACL and had to give up cutting sports. Following ACL reconstruction surgery last February, I started training for triathlons with my fiancee and made the investment in a road bike, swimming lessons and a running coach. Once I got the basics down I started racing and decided I enjoyed it enough to further invest in a TT bike and a tri coach and am hoping to eventually complete a full Ironman.

I usually train on my own and occasionally with my fiancee, but recently I've started a women's cycling group and we've been trying to ride together outside at least once a week.

An issue I have with triathlons is that I get so nervous before every race that it's all I can do not to run to my car and go home without even checking in. I get nauseated and I can't eat or drink and nothing helps me to relax. I'm not sure exactly what's causing this because at this point I'm just trying to beat my previous times, not compete with others in my age group. I'm also a good swimmer, so I'm not worried about drowning and I do fine on the cycle and run. I'm not sure what to do to get over this but any suggestions are welcome.

2011-01-15 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3301851

Veteran
Hi Melanie,

welcome to the group.  unfortunate regarding ultimate -- I used to play too and what a fun game.  Regarding your nervousness, here's my thought:  I play a lot of team sports and don't ever get nervous before a game, but I do get nervous before triathlons because it is so different them team sports -- it's me against me.  i wonder, is your fiance pretty good at it?  Where have you placed in your races?  The one race I took a DNF was because I had gone to the race with the acquaintence and she told me I had to be done in 5 hours, and repeated several times how she expected to be able to get back to the hotel before the 2 p.m. checkout time so she could take a shower.  Then we ran barely made it to the race start on time because I couldn't get her out of bed.  By the time the race started, my nerves were on edge and halfway through the swim they unraveled as I didn't have time to get mentally ready and I knew I couldn't do 70.3 in 5 hours (turns out, neither could she).  I wonder what about your prerace routine.  do you get to the race start with a lot of extra time to kill?  if not, maybe that would help, if yes, maybe you could try cutting it closer.  you say you are only racing against yourself, but in truth, are you?  are you wanting to finish at the same time as your fiance?  are you putting pressure on yourself to be a pro-level competitor asap when given you were pro quality in ultimate?  if you hired a running coach for sprints, I kind of think you were looking to be among the best from the start.  nothing wrong with that if it isn't sapping your energy with nervousness pre-race.  if self expectations are getting you, try to remind yourself, you didn't become ultimate pro overnight and it won't happen with tris.    rather than focusing on beating your last time every time out, just tell yourself, this is going to be fun, then focus on the fun of it until the race has started then let the competitiveness kick in as being in the race beats out the nerves -- I find the easiest way to focus on the fun aspect is to chat up people all around me.  These are your best friends and teammates for the day.  In team sports, the routine is you show up, you go through the prerace chit chat, dressing, etc. with your teammates, and the comraderie helps keep the nerves away.  With tris, no team to meet up with, but most of the people out there are your teammates.  chit chat.   also, what about post tri plans?  one of my friends, the one that is always dead last, always worries that they will kick her off the course before she can finish, but her focus pre race is what she will be doing when the race is over -- i.e. pancakes with friends, stop at the winery on the way home, etc.    ....those are my thoughts, perhaps I'll come up with a new theory tomorrow. 

2011-01-17 2:11 AM

New user

rancho cucamonga
Hello, I'm very new at this, I have along way ahead of me but I have all the commitment to get me to my first tri race. It sounds even funny to alot of ppl when I told them that someone like me who is 270lb, 5.4 ft and never had a day of workout in my whole life to do something like that. However, I have a whole year of alot of free time since im getting ready to get to a graduate school and my schedule is very open to whatever I want to do for almost all of this year. I have alot of medical problems because of my overweight issue but losing weight will come with time I'm sure if I started working for this goal. I'm 31 and I really need your help. Thank you!
2011-01-17 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3303706

Veteran
Hi Kafo -- absolutely you can do it.  for some inspiration, you should find a local sprint tri and go watch -- there are a lot of people of all shapes and sizes doing the races.  it's easy to get intimidated if you just see the pros and their beautiful bodies.  My biggest piece of advice on being a graduate school and training is get up and exercise first thing in the morning -- I have found, the more time I have on my hands, the more I waste time and if you keep saying, "later" it becomes "tomorrow" and then another week goes by, then a month, then a year.  the easiest adjustment to make starting off is your diet.  you don't have to cut out all the things you love, but if compromise -- something so simply as eating a york peppermint patty instead of a snickers when you need chocolate makes a difference.  drink diet soda and skim milk rather than D and regular cola.  those are first steps, and you should take first steps, not huge leaps.  much easier to fall when you leap.  also, if you have never been athletic, start with walking.  get a pedometer and see how much you walk in a normal day.  i'll be it's around 1000 steps.  make your first goal, walk 5000 steps per day.  one step at a time.  check this out:  http://health.yahoo.net/articles/weight-loss/8-amazing-blogger-weight-loss-transformations

Edited by sheesleeva 2011-01-17 12:29 PM
2011-01-17 12:45 PM

Veteran
Happy Monday everyone!  If you are a football fan, what a great game the Pats-Jets, Jets-Pats game was for the treadmill.  I ran 10 miles in the first half of the game and don't like either team.  When I first started running, I couldn't stand the treadmill - found it very boring compared to running outside.  Some how I have come to love the tread mill.  It's my tv time and I love sports.  Today, Kansas-Missouri basketball game.  I hope it's a good one -- they keep me knocking out the miles.

I have found that there are certain shoes that are great for the treadmill, not great for outdoor running.  I'm a Nike fan.  I have the narrow foot that Nike's were made for, and I love the NikeId feature.  The buzz in 2010 was shoeless running, with claims that too much support throws off the body's natural posture and people end up with knee injuries, etc.  This theory somewhat works with my experience -- I found out long ago that the airmax made my knees ache, while the Pegasus was always perfect.  The bonus -- Pegasus cost less money.  But two problems with the barefoot running theory:

a) the purpose behind shoes is to protect the feet.  how can you knock out the miles if you are stepping on things that throw off your gait.  also, wear and tear on your feet.  You have to have some kind of padding in your shoes, just like people who stand all day for their work -- there is a reason they don't wear flip flops -- it fatigues the knees, back, etc. 

b) the theory is based on perfect man, the man who was in perfect shape, and thus perfect posture.  the reality is, we in the developed world do not have the perfect bodies that work perfectly because we have finally honed them through years of work.  look for shoes that fit the body you have, not the perfect body.  If you are new to running, go to a running store to get your shoes and see if they have a money back guarantee.  if the shoe leaves you with blisters, there is something with the shoe, not your foot.  even if new to running, you shouldn't get blisters running two miles, or even 5.  don't be afraid to return the shoe, and be sure to try them outside, not just on the treadmill.

back to treadmills, I did try out a pair of lightweight shoes.  the nike lunar.  and the treadmill they were fantastic.  ran 13 miles without any aches or pains.  then I took them outside.  completely different experience.  now I have my treadmill shoes and my outdoor shoes, but I will always have shoes. 

happy training.

Deb

2011-01-18 9:39 AM

NAME: Twynk/Robin

STORY: I am a 37 year old stay at home mom of one three year old.  I am quite overweight (I'm at somewhere around 227-230 pounds right now) and have been at about this weight for roughly 10 years (?). 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 14 years

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm just focusing on the running portion as I have never, ever, ever been a runner. I am not convinced yet that my body (and my knees (I tore my ACL 16 years ago and had had torn cartilage in my knee removed)) will be able to handle running.  I just completed Week 2, Day 1 of Couch to 5k.  When the weather is better, my husband and I will ride together with my son in a trailer. I can also hop on a bike and swim at the gym.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None in 2010

2011 RACES:  I am currently planning on jog/walking a 5k on St Patrick's Day with a friend.

4/9/2011 - Shortest Triathlon Ever - 100 yd swim, 2.5 mile bike, 1.2 mile run

August (?) - Sprint Tri (there is a series of three sprint tris that I could go to, in June, July and August but I don't think I will be ready for one in June or July.  We'll see how things go!)

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose weight this year but I don't have a specific goal. Now that "the holidays" are over, I am going to be focusing on eating more cleanly and am planning on letting the weight loss follow. I am not a happy person when I am forcing the weight loss.

Clearly I am a complete and utter newbie at all of this.  I got myself back into the gym with no focus other than getting myself off of the couch last year.  I've lost about 15 pounds.  My husband and I started bike riding as a way to get us exercising together late last summer. I had never considered doing any sort of running/tri anything and then I heard about someone doing a sprint tri last year and thought, "Hmm....with enough training, maybe I could do that?" and then I heard about the 'Shortest Triathlon Ever' that is fairly local to me and I thought, "If I can learn about how to do a triathlon (the transitions, how to train, etc), I can definitely do that!

I am just at the beginning edge of learning about how all of this works.  I ordered two books about triathlons the other day and am hoping to find some time to read them. I am looking forward to learning a LOT from all of you
2011-01-18 6:52 PM

New user

Hi deb! HOPE ITS NOT TOO LATE TO JOIN YOUR GROUP! NEW SWIMMER AND STILL NERVOUS....DID 2 SERIOUS TRIS LAST YEAR AND A COUPLE OF PRACTICE ONES ...I LOVE IT! NEED TO BE MORE COMFORTABLE IN THE WATER...I JUST KEEP SHOWING UP! 3 DAYS IN THE POOL AND I RUN 4 DAYS A WEEK ..BIKE? SPIN CLASS  ONCE A WEEK.

2011-01-18 7:54 PM

Hi Deb,I would like to join your group as well.WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: StartedNAME: RaySTORY: I am a 26 year old engineer who loves team sports - basketball, beach volleyball, indoor volleyball. About two years ago I ran a 15k with a friend to test my fitness level. I have been an avid runner ever since. Unforetunately, I got injured this year while training for my first marathon. Since I am not allowed to run until late Feb. I have decided to work on my swimming. I am an awful swimmer and recently purchased TI swimming DVD/Book. I have gotten a lot better in the week that I have been practicing however I am still very inefficient.FAMILY STATUS: Will be married in April (No kids)CURRENT TRAINING: Weightlifting (3-5 days a week), Swimming (4 days a week), lots of strecthing.THIS YEAR'S RACES: Spring Tri (Sometime in middle summer)PAST RACE HISTORY:400 M PR - 0:58 - 5/28/10 1 Mi PR - 5:52 - Track - 7/28/105K PR - 20:28 - The Human Race - 5/8/108K PR - 43:00 - Run to the Sun - 4/18/095 Mile - 36:36 - Carraba's Beach Run - 8/28/201010K PR - 46:06 - ATC Resolution Run 2011 - 1/1/1115K PR - 1:13:16 - Gate River Run - 3/14/09Half Marathon PR - 1:46:09 - VaB R&R HM - 9/5/10Marathon PR - TBD
2011-01-18 7:56 PM

Wow....sorry for the sloppy post. It was much more organized in my view before the message board reorganized it.
2011-01-19 8:47 PM

New user

Hi,I'd like to join your group if space permits. I am 46, professional, with frequent travel for work. I completed my first 2 sprint tris last year after joining a YMCA class. When I first started I couldn't swim 25 yds freestyle and swam the tris with backstroke, sidestroke, doggy paddle, etc. Dead last in both swims. I'd like to have a more rigorous training program (well a plan would be good) to do 3-4 sprints and perhaps look at an Olympic length. Thanks,Heather
2011-01-20 1:04 PM

User image

New user

Hello Deb,

I would like to also join your group if space permits.  Im a 35 year old male and  have competed in several tris and half marathons over the past couple of years.  I am relatively new to the triathlon world, however, competed and actually placed in the Clydesdale division in my first half iron last year.  I also usually do well and place in the clydes division in the sprint and olympic distances, however, I tend to have to fight from behind because of my poor swim times.  I have lots on the table this year as I plan at least 1 half Iron, my first full marathon and the Mountains of Misery Cetry ride. 
2011-01-21 10:51 PM
in reply to: #3306076

Veteran
hi Robin,
good for you for getting started.  I do recommend triathlete magazine rather than too many tri books lest they end up on the shelf unread.  the tri magazine you get a dose of motitivation once a month.  at the same time, if they are some good ones, please pass the names along

2011-01-21 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3307506

Veteran
Hi Titanic,
trust me, I can emphathize with the swimming thing.  you will be surprised how much your swimming will improve by just showing up.  keep showing up!  don't forget to show up on the bike though.  that's the longest part of the tri and you don't want to overlook the easiest part of the race (the one portion where you really can just coast). 
2011-01-21 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3307621

Veteran
Hi Road Ray,

too bad on the injury - not good.  after running five marathons, always between 3.5 and 4.5 hours, without ever running the major miles the marathon training plans ascribe to, I have to say, I am a real believer in the theory that you only have to run 6-8 miles four or five days a week to keep running fitness.  I really do love running so it's not avoidance.  If you are going to do triathlons, biking is a very good substitute for running when you can't run.  it keeps your legs strong and lets you keep fit.  swimming is great, but it does not replace the good leg work, and as I have already said, the bike is the longest part of the race so don't forget about it
2011-01-21 11:12 PM
in reply to: #3310094

Veteran
Hi Heather,
congrats on getting started.  as far as a more rigorous program, for the swim, i recommend joining a master club.  even if you can only make it a few times a month because of all the work travel, it will still help.  regarding bike and run, there are all kinds of programs out there -- it's just a matter of finding one that works for you.  if you travel a lot, do more running when you are on the road -- strong legs and good cardio conditioning are strong legs and good conditioning whether you do it on the bike or on the run.  just be careful you don't overdo it to the point of injury -- doing situps every day and ten minutes of stretching after every run have made a world of difference to me.  if you narrow down the training routine to several and want some input, just let me know. 
2011-01-21 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3311535

Veteran
Hi Oliver,
sounds like you have the bike and swim down if you are placing.  maybe now is the time to focus on swimming a little more.  being someone who hates swimming, I know it's so much easier and more fun to run and bike, but you definately have those down so put some time in on the swim.  on the other hand, it sure is fun to spend the race passing people up.      do you belong to a master's swim group?  that helps focus on the competition/keeping up rather than over thinking the swim.  which half iron are you doing?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Deb's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 6