BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2011-01-27 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can begin mentoring right away.

NAME:
Jeff

STORY:
I became a runner in 1981 in the 9th grade.  I pursued running with dogged determination until an injury ended my dreams at 18.  I then transitioned to competitive cycling.  So triathlon was an obvious outlet for me.  About 5 years ago I came back to the sport of triathlon after about a 20 year haitus.

FAMILY STATUS:
Single.  4 great kids.  2 of whom are interested in multisport this year!

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm currently training about 25 hrs a week, but around 8 hours of that is weight training (doesn't count!)

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
Too many to list...well over a dozen.  Some running races, some mtb races, on-road triathlons (primarily sprints) and off-road triathlons.

2011 RACES:
  Well over 2 dozen races on the tentative schedule this year.  Might try my hand at AG nationals.  Still primarily sprints, but want one or two olympic tris in there.  Plus the bike racing and Xterras.  Many weekends will have 2 races!

WEIGHTLOSS:
 After many years of recreational body building, I decided to try to be the best Clydesdale I could be.  Soon I became too good to do that without guilt, plus the training made it HARD to stay 200lbs.  So I have brought myself down to around 180 or a little under.  I do not find it hard to gain or lose weight, I just decide what I want to do and make it happen.  The bodybuilding in my background has given me a better understanding of diet than most.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm very new to BT.  But have been an active contributor on Slowtwitch for many years now.  I'm motivated by the opportunity to be a mentor here because it's what I find myself naturally doing for all the people around me anyway.
My background as a pretty high level runner gives me a unique perspective to mentor runners...not only because I was pretty darn fast but because I had to recently return to running as a 200 pounder and have gone through the same struggles most people face when adopting a running program in adulthood. 
My competitive cycling background and current mtb racing gives me insights in to bike training.
I'm currently competing with a Master's Swim team and counter-intuitively probably have insight in to swimming that experts dont.  I find that the very great swimmers usually all learned in their childhood and have no memory, or were never consciously aware, of how they learned to swim well.  I just learned it so can more readily impart those lessons to new swimmers (I hope!)

Edited by JeffY 2011-04-10 2:22 PM

2011-04-07 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3325249

Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - OPEN

Jeff,

How's everything going?  Well I'll start with a quick history.  I'm 28 and have no wife or kids and work with the Corps of Engineers.  I grew up swimming competitively until the age of 12.  I also played soccer and was a decent runner when I was younger!  I entered a few triathlons when I was an undergrad and completed a few olympic distance tri's.  I recently have decided to get back into them.  I have been swimming about 2 miles a day, for 4 days a week, riding a trainer every other day for about 90 minutes (don't have a bike yet!), and just recently started back running about 3-4 miles every other day.  I really am not that knowledgeable as far as getting a good schedule down.  I also would like help with some type of diet/nutritional planning.  My goal is to be able to do the Augusta 70.3 in September.  Recently, I injured my ankle playing soccer and may be out for a few weeks!  I look forward to your advice.

Thanks,

Bill

2011-04-07 12:05 PM

User image

Hi Jeff!

My name is Jeremy and I am a newbie to say the least. Late March I done my first indoor Tri (Seattle Rainman). It was a great way to ease into it. In fact it removed a lot of the mystic of Tri-ing. As far as the family goes, this July I will have been married for 8 years and we have two boy-Titus almost 3 and Canon who is almost 1.

I plan to do the Issaquah Sprint in June and by the end of tri season I would like to do an Oly. Right now I would say my most weak area is the bike.

At any rate I look forward to gleaning from your experience and leadership!

2011-04-07 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Hi Gentlemen, just touching base quickly.  I need to get out the door in a few minutes.  I'll ask a few simple questions quickly:

•  how would you describe your swim proficiency? (Jeremy, you answered that pretty well)
  •  bike proficiency?
  •  run proficiency?
  •  What would you say is your most burning question re. triathlon?

What is your biggest problem to solve? (ie. scheduling training, what type of bike to get/where to get it, where to train...)

If you haven't already, make sure your training log is current for the last week at least and keep it current as well as you can going forward.

I'm looking forward to offering advice to you, and for all of us to share experiences, insights, ideas with each other.

Jeff.

2011-04-07 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3434900

User image

JeffY - 2011-04-07 1:51 PM
  •  how would you describe your swim proficiency?

I feel like my swim is good, although I'm sure I could get faster, but I am really focusing on my base. At any rate, I can swim 2k yards w/o stopping. It takes me about 40-45mins though.

•  bike proficiency?

I just started training mid-Jan. As a result all of my training has been indoor @ the Y their bikes. I found out what a disadvantage this was during the Seattle Rainman. I can not believe the difference of biking on the road verses a machine. The resistance is amazing.

But all that to say, is that my biking is really weak and if it ever stops raining I would like to get out doors more. However, the last two Saturdays I have been able to 2--6 mile rides. But my timing was dismal...about 30mins on hilly terrain.

I am currently ridding a 54cm Gary Fisher AR Super.

•  run proficiency?

My run is not where I want it to be. I am running about 11 to 11 1/2 mm. I have only been able to run outside twice because of the weather and each time I am pushing the kids in their stroller. The inclines are killer, lol. I would like to get down to about a 10min mile.

As far as my endurance, I am able to run 4 miles w/ a couple of 1 min intervals thrown in there. But 4 miles will take me between 43-48 mins. 

Nutrition. I started tris bc I wanted to get back in shape. Before I always just lifted weights w/o cardio training. My eating habits are not good. But since Lent started, I have abstained from sweets and sugary drinks, so that has helped, lol. In fact, I would like to keep that going, with maybe one day where I have those items sparingly.

What is your biggest problem to solve? (ie. scheduling training, what type of bike to get/where to get it, where to train...)

I am worried about the out door swim and how to get practice in swimming out doors. From what I have read, it is a big mistake to leave the indoor pool and put on the wet suite and go open swim/race. So I am not even sure how to go from pool to lake/ocean. Then how to find someone to go with me.

Secondly, how to integrate weight training. Since I started, I have not really lifted weights and I can feel/see the difference.

Jeremy

Edited by jeg2011 2011-04-07 6:35 PM
2011-04-08 7:56 AM

User image

Expert

Hi guys - I'd like to get onboard, if that's okay with you!

My name is Jenna, this is my third year of triathlon but technically only my second since I was out with injuries all last year. Actually, I broke my ankle before the final race of my first season too, so my main priority is to stay injury-free this year.

I have a metric century on tap next month, a handful of sprints, and at least one OLY planned for this year. Like I said, I just want to get through this season happy and healthy. If I can do that, then my goal is a winter marathon, a spring HIM, and I would love to do a full IM some time in 2012 or early 2013. But first things first.

My swimming proficiency is fairly low-end. I can swim 1500m and not drown, but it will be slow and ugly to watch. I also had major problems with sighting, and I think I probably overswam all my courses by at least 25-30% by going offtrack and needing to double-back. I really don't know if I can swim a HIM or IM course, but that's not on my plate for this year.

I consider myself to be a relatively proficient biker - when I can get out there. I've only had two outdoor rides this season so far, the rest has all been on the spin bike at my gym. I have a cotton candy pink tri-bike that I love, although I know it is too small for me. I have had it professionally fit to as good as possible and it will be more than serviceable for this season. It is a titanium frame with all Dura components, carbon fork and aero cockpit, and I would never be able to replicate the quality if I had to repurchase in a slightly larger size. I got it used for a great deal and it has been very well maintained.

I like to run. I have been off for a long time, so I'm just getting back into it and finding it slower going than I remembered. When I am in shape and at the top of my game, running is probably the strongest of the three sports for me.

What do I need from a mentor? Someone who can keep me motivated and accountable. I have two young kids (2 and 4) and a very busy, high-profile job. Finding time to train is not always easy and I need something to hold my feet to the fire.

Looking forward to a great season!

2011-04-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3435729

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Welcome aboard Jenna!
2011-04-08 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran

Count me in to please!

I am a 44 year old white guy so I fit the demographic pretty much spot on. This is my second year training and doing Tris but I have a few years of doing the P90X and hitting the gym in spotty bursts. Just coming off of a stress fracture in my right leg and am cleared to run a whole 7.5 miles a week in .5 mile increments but get to add 10% a week so that will ramp back "fast".

I am a sprint level age grouper in all his glory.

Being the geek that I am here are my answers:

•  how would you describe your swim proficiency? In a word - Horrible. working with a trainer\lifegaurd on the basics.
  •  bike proficiency? Fairly decent on the bike, well for me anyway. Riding about 25 miles plus a week and going up now that I am healed up.
  •  run proficiency? Don't even ask.
  •  What would you say is your most burning question re. triathlon? None that I can think of but probably have 1000.
 I am doing a sprint in 107 days but who's counting?

Edited by perdiem 2011-04-08 9:23 AM
2011-04-08 10:06 AM

User image

This side of disorder...
Is there still room, I'm interested in joining!
2011-04-08 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3436028

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

nitroxjunkie - 2011-04-08 10:06 AM Is there still room, I'm interested in joining!

tons-o-room.

2011-04-08 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I would like to join.  This will be my second year of triathlon and I have fallen in love the sport.  I raced 2 Oly's last season and competed in a relay in which our team won the 3 person division.  I have run several races including my first marathon this past October (Marine Corps - 3:26:06).

I am 42 years old with 2 girls (15-17) and been married for almost 24 years.

I will update and provide more for my bio when I return home from a weekend visit with family.

2011-04-08 12:05 PM

User image

Upstate New York

Hi there!  If there's still room, I'm interested!

My name is Deb and I'm a newbie!!  I'm not a runner, used to swim competively in HS and I do bike quite often.  My sister just completed her first Ironman in November and after watching I decided that I wanted to do this too.  I've signed up for 3 Sprint Tri's.  The first is July 2nd. 

Family:  Married, 6 yrs old girl, 3 older step girls (who hate me) and a rat terrier dog!!    Work full time, i.e. AVP Compliance.

I would like to lose 30 lbs but 20 would be fine!

Training: Swimming:  a couple times a week until I hurt my shoulder 2 weeks ago but hitting the pool tomorrow.  Running: Joined a run training group 4 weeks ago to train for my 1st 5K on May 15th.  So, far running 3 - 4 times a week and hoping to get my time down to at least 11 min mile.  Would love 10 min or less but don't know if that is realistic!  It's not easy for me to run and I don't particularly like it but I'm doing it!  Got me new Nike Free's and I love them!    Biking: Spinning a couple of times a week and teh Hubs and I purchased a CycleOps trainer so doing that as well.  I have a Trek Hybrid so I will changing the wheels to road wheels. 

My questions center around scheduling training, how often, when should I begin bricks, etc.  I know I need to rest at least once a week, I think!!  And, I need to also do weight training but should I do that on run days or swim days or bike days, etc.  We bought P90X so thought I would use that for some of the strength training!   I need to find a nice balance while still getting in the training I need to get it done respectably!!  Laughing

2011-04-08 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Bill and Jeremy mentioned  nutriton and Deb mentioned weight loss.

Is everyone who is thinking 'nutrition' coming from the angle of weight loss?  Or are there differing goals nutritionally speaking?

2011-04-08 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Hello,

I'd like to join this group if there are still spots available.  I started running in 2007.  I started getting my foot into the multi-sport door in 2008.  This year I have decided that I will do at least one triathlon this year. 

Experience:  I feel that I'm an experience runner and intermediate duathlete.  Of course, there is always room for improvement.  I haven't actually swam in a competitive or really a recreational fashion in almost 20 years. I used to swim competatively when I was a teenager, and I am a certified scuba diver so I am experinced with being in both the pool and open water.  Now I just have to decide if I like getting kicked in the face or not while in the water. If I don't hate it I'm giving some consideration to doing the Austin 70.3 in 2012.

Family Status: Married with one toddler.  My wife works nights and is also a multi-sport athlete so there are some challenges to be had in arrainging our training schedules.  Thank god the boy loves ridding in the jogging stroller.

Races: Thus far this year I have done the Sylamore 25k trail run and the Little Rock Half Marathon
My four A races for the next year are:
    a Sprint Triathlon on 10 July 11 (500yd/15mi/5k)
    a long course Duathlon on 10 Sept 11 (3.2k/40k/10k)
    St. Jude's Marathon on 4 Dec 11
    Sylamore 50k Trail Run on 18 February 12

I'm sure I'll be participating in other races this year, but the above are my target races.
2011-04-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3436533

User image

Upstate New York
Although not really a true goal, I'm hoping weight loss will be an added benefit due to rigorous training.    Nutrionally, I want to be able to keep up the training w/o burning out because I'm not eating the right amount of carbs, for example.  I've been eating fish, chicken, veggies, fruits, egg white omelets in the morning, etc.  Also, I've been told that a big glass of choc/skim milk is good recovery after a run.  What else is suggested that won't additionally make me gain, such as with carb overload (cause word has it you need to eat a lot of pasta before a race - I'm not so sure about that since I've read that may not be necessary), but will help me keep up with the training?  Hope this makes sense.  Deb 

Edited by colwin21 2011-04-08 3:59 PM
2011-04-08 4:31 PM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk

If there is room I would like in.

I am looking for inspiration and some guidance.  This is my 3rd year racing with an injury during that time so actually my 2nd full year.  I am 40 year old a BOP racer, the days of going fast seem over.  I am also married with kids (20 and 13).  The 13 year old is doing her first tri this year so I will be looking for guidance on her behalf also. 

EXPERIENCE: 1--sprint 2009; 1--dual, 4--sprint, 1--Oly 2010; scheduled 1--dual, 3--sprint, 1--Oly, 1--HIM for 2011. 

GOALS: Learn to schedule my workout into a structure that will help me improve.  Learn from others mistakes and triumphs. 

A little background: This started as a bet between me and a few coworkers (kids 20 year olds), after desiding to try it, I got hooked!  I love the variety, I really dig the culture and broad spectrum of people that enjoy this sport.  Needless to say I won the bet since I was the only one to make it to the starting line.  71 pounds later here I am.  I am looking forward to a big year.

LETS RACE!

2011-04-08 5:36 PM

User image

Ellensburg, WA

Name: Ryan

Story: I needed a competative outlet and triathlons has become that outlet. I never did any sports involving cardio before the tri season in 2009.

Current Training: I'm in the middle of a 18 week Olympic training plan, I'm at about 6+ hours a week and run 3-4, bike 3, swim 2 times a week. 3 Weeks progressively gaining time and distance, 1 week rest....I maintain my training log on this site. I'm currently 6'2, 175 and might want to lose 5 before racing. I have roughly 10% body fat and wouldn't mind being lower.

Injuries: I was involved in a surfing accident on Nov. 20th. My right quad was lacerated about 6" across the thigh and about 1" deep. I had 11 staples and multiple stitches in my facia layer. The doctor said I didn't do anything to the muscle but it is significantly different and dented. I am sore in that spot about every day but not injured any more.

Goals: Win an olympic distance triathlon. I'm assuming it is going to take a few seasons to get up to that shape so I'm willing to take my lumps and put in my time to gain fitness and accumulate the proper equipment.

•  how would you describe your swim proficiency? I was never on a swim team and learned semi decent form 5 years ago. I'm swimming about 3000 yards a week and gaining confidence but I still know I'm slow. Mainly working on my form and doing drills to increase speed. Its hard for me to go faster than 400 yards in 7:30. I got a wetsuit for the upcoming season so that should help. TYR Cat 3 Hurricane Laughing
  •  bike proficiency? I love to bike and that should be my specialty. I'm 6'2 with long legs and I mountain bike just as much if not more than road bike. I'm doing the whiskey dick triathlon 1900' climb and about 19 miles into the wind after that so I want to make this my strongest part of triathlon.
  •  run proficiency? After the injury I have been working up to last seasons shape (46.30 10k tri time) I'm up to running for an hour for my long run and need to do more speed drills. All in all I am trying to build distance now and will work on speed later in the season after my first race. My wife said if I run a sub 7 min mile for a triathlon this year I can get a tri bike.
  •  What would you say is your most burning question re. triathlon? How hard should I train, how do I train between races.
  • What is your biggest problem to solve? Am I a slow swimmer, or lazy swimmer, how fast can I swim.

Good Luck Training!

2011-04-09 8:05 AM

User image

This side of disorder...

Profile:

39 y/o Male with no children.  I travel during the week M-Th or M-F so I'm working out in hotels or at a local gym near my clients which makes for rather difficult scheduling.  I have no competitive sports background (little league when I was 10 doesn't count, right?).  I hope to finish 1-3 Sprints (800m Swim, 16 Mile Bike, 3.1 mile run) this year but will be happy with just one in Sept.  Ultimately I'd like to reach the HIM distance but I know that's way off in the distance (2+ years).  I am fine with my weight, I'm doing this more for a fitness and personal goal perspective.

• how would you describe your swim proficiency?

In a word, pathetic.  I grew up with a pool and learned how not to drown. I can swim 50 yards in a clip and need to break for 10-20 sec to catch my breath.  I'm working with a coach but my progress is painfully slow.

•  bike proficiency?

I feel most comfortable on the bike, I'm slow but I plod along just fine.  When pushed I can probably complete 16 miles in about 45-50 min.

•  run proficiency?

not as bad as my swim but it needs work.  I think I can do a 5k in about 27-30 min...I'm making improvements here though as I train.

When does it come together on the swim?!?!? 

Biggest problem right now is the swim, but from a mentor perspective I'd be looking for more guidance on the length/intensity of my training sessions.  How to balance Base training and anaerobic training...I'm tired of being winded after 10 min on the treadmill or 15 min on the bike, or 30 seconds in the pool But when I do HR training and keep it in Zone 2 I might as well be walking.

2011-04-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3436533

User image

Expert
JeffY - 2011-04-08 2:49 PM

Bill and Jeremy mentioned  nutriton and Deb mentioned weight loss.

Is everyone who is thinking 'nutrition' coming from the angle of weight loss?  Or are there differing goals nutritionally speaking?

My biggest problem with nutrition is making it a regular part of every day. I have no issues with race day nutrition, but I know I am perma-dehydrated based on my regular routine. The mornings are busy for me and I find that I tend to wake up, get the kids ready and off, get into the office for a couple of meetings, and before I know what's happened, it's 2pm and I have yet to eat or drink anything at all.

I eat when and where I can, so it's not always the healthiest. I forget to drink and probably average less than 1L per day. I also have a monster sweet tooth that kicks in during the evening hours after the kids are in bed. I need to find a way to handle that temptation a little better!

2011-04-09 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

If the group is still open, I would like to join.

Profile:  34 year old married with 3 kids that tend to run me around.  My career requires considerable amount of time so my work out schedules tend to be short (but with a lot of push).  Most days I am only able to squeeze in the work out on my lunch, so it could only be an hour day.

I have never competed in a triathalon.  Ran cross country in High school, but most of my sports expereince has come from the likes of basketball and Baseball.  My competitive nature is very strong, so I found that the basketball leagues and baseball teams just do not give me the satisfaction I want.  I want to be responsible for the outcome.

how would you describe your swim proficiency? (Jeremy, you answered that pretty well)

Not sure I have a swim proficiency.  I complete roughly 1/2 mile 3 times a day but it is a struggle.  At times I think I'm more of a stone than a swimmer.

•  bike proficiency?  Fairly good, no problems doing 20-25 miles
  •  run proficiency?  Rough, just finished my first 5k today and the time was long (30.07) to say the least.  Still trying to regain past glory, (15 yrs of smoking put a hurt on this)

Goals:  Currenty signed up for the local YMCA "hillbilly" triathalon.  (Canoe 4 miles, Bike 15miles, run 3miles)  This is test me and see what I need to do for June 19 when I am signed up for a sprint triathalon at Maumee bay.  From there I want to do at least 1 more sprint in July, and then hope to do an Olympic length in August.   I know for a beginner my sights may be set high, but I feel you only reach the minimum goal set for yourself so why not go for it all.  I am using the 16 week to sprint training program.

2011-04-10 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran

Jeff,

I would like to join this group if there is still space available.

My name is Greg, I am 44 y.o. married with 1 child (in college).  I got interested in tri's last year and was scheduled to participate in my first sprint tri last May but had a bike accident  - broke my collar bone that required surgery.  Since late last summer I have been training somewhat consistently trying to bring up my fitness level in all 3 disciplines. 

•  how would you describe your swim proficiency? decent, I have gotten up to swimming up to 60+ laps during my long swims.  During the last few weeks though I had started having pain in my left shoulder during my swims.
  •  bike proficiency? I thought I had increase this over the winter using the life cycles at the gym, long rides 80+ minutes but rode outside for the first time a few days ago and didn't feel like I had.  Heading out later this morning for a longish ride.
  •  run proficiency? have built up from 0 to 7+ miles, pretty much slow and steady 10min/mile range.
  •  What would you say is your most burning question re. triathlon? Right now my biggest issue is  nutrition - mostly how to stay on track esp. during the evening.  One of my goals through training for and participating in tri's is to lose the spare tire around my middle and that is not happening at this point (at least I don't feel/see it).

I am scheduled to participate in the tri I missed last year this May 22nd.

2011-04-10 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
I'm on my way to Orlando for business. It's always a challenge to stick with the program when taken out of the familiar structure. For some reason it's even harder to get out of bed. Some of the specific difficulties are not having a bike. Hotel gyms will never have a stationary bike I find suitable. Running requires stepping out in to unfamiliar territory which I find daunting more than exciting, but I enjoy treadmill running anyway. Hopefully my Achilles let's me run or it will be a disappointing week. I dont know if there is a suitable pool, but I do have swim gear. Coworkers are along too and they always get needy. To them, downtime is boring and lonely so they want to socialize. If I want to go run, it often seems like they want to stop me. After all, they don't care if I stay fit!It will be crucial that I drag my butt out of bed early each morning. There are no schedule conflicts then. I plan 2 workouts each day, but as is my norm, one will be weights. Keep me accountable. How do you folks handle these situations? (it's perfectly valid to say 'I do nothing, I'm not a slave to workouts')
2011-04-10 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk

I know what your saying Jeff, I've been there.  I always changed my workouts for those days away or at least changed the duration and intensity.  As the front desk for the location of a park or school for the runs so you can do a few intervals at pace.  If your only gone for a few days these intense workouts can benifit your ability to perform at VO2 max.  As for the weights switch it up to a light almost aerobic reps. 

As a side note; If your having achilles issues rest it, ice it.  I had issues with mine and by continuing to train without rest I severed mine needing surgury and a tendon harvest to repair.  4 months of sitting on my a** gives you a lot of time to think and as I said "I would like to learn from others mistakes" this is an area I can help others learn from my big mistake.  Just a thought.

Hope my workout input helps.

2011-04-10 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Jeff...if there's still room, I want in.  Been a member around here for while now and on ST as well.  Although I'm not exactly a beginner, I am only going into my third season of multisport and still have a lot to learn.

NAME: Jonathan

STORY:
 Grew up recreationally cycling/mountain biking through highschool.  Decided that I wold try out a different sport and rowed in college.  Finally got out of a horrible relationship in 2008 and was able to actually do what I wanted with my life starting in 2009, so I figured triathlon was a great idea...

FAMILY STATUS:
 Committed relationship to a wonderful girlfriend.  We bought our first house together last year and will hopefully be engaged in the near future.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I have hired a coach for this year to keep me in check.  I am currently putting in between 7-9 hrs per week.  I try my best to keep my logs up to date.  They tend not to be as detailed because I log most of my stuff on Training peaks, but will keep them up to date for the group for sure.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 Last year I had two sprints, an olympic and one HIM.  I got a little over my head with the half as my run fitness just wasn't up to snuff.

2011 RACES:
 All short course/olympic stuff this year.  Time to get healthy and happy with my running!

WEIGHTLOSS:
  This is sort of a confused topic for me right now.  I came into 2011 at 205 and am currently sitting at 193.  I'm 6'-3" tall and consider myself lean...but definitely not skinny.  I am trying to figure out what the best race weight is for myself and plan on getting a RMR test and body fat test done to figure out how to achieve that goal.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm an over-active member.  I love to help others and need a lot of questions answered for myself as well.  I am a horrible runner.  For some reason God didn't gift me with the talent, so I am constantly asking for advice from fellow runners.  I'm also building a bike starting next week and will need a little tech. advice.  I'm the kind of person who likes to motivate, but also needs a bit of motivation.  I get discouraged when my performance doesn't increase like I expect.

This will also be my first season training with power.  I have a few months under my belt right now and think it's probably a good idea to start reading the power bibles out there to capture exactly what is going on and how training with power actually works.

I'm a relatively good swimmer.  I started swimming back in 2009 and was able to pick that piece up relatively well.  I logged a ton of hours in the pool over the last couple years and am obsessed with swim technique and analyzing swim video.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-04-10 1:14 PM
2011-04-10 1:03 PM

User image

NH

If we're still open, I'd like to join this group. 

I'll post more later when family stuff is over, but I'm in year 2 1/2, I did a HIM last year but I'm doing short course only this year.  I'm a more "experienced" member at age 49, but I'm very active and totally addicted to this lifestyle.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64