BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2011-04-11 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Shellback1998 Group - FULL

I can start mentoring now and will be around all throughout the race season.

Name: Shellback1998 (Scott)

Story: Body composition is my biggest limiter and I struggle with getting to a good racing weight.  A friend of mine was on the Biggest loser 2009 season 8 (Rudy Pauls), and did a triathlon back in 2009. He mentioned that I would never be able to beat him in a triathlon. I never even knew what a triathlon was but at that moment I was committed. At that time, I made that decision to lose weight and to beat Rudy. The next day, I weighed myself and was over 300lbs. I was like what did you do to yourself. I drove to the local YMCA and began working out. Now, being athletic having a football, lacrosse, hockey and baseball background I knew this wasn’t going to be an overnight transformation. I was ashamed that I let myself go, I blew up from not being active and was embarrassed. At my job, I sit at a desk all day long therefore I wasn’t as active therefore I wasn’t burning as many calories as I should have been. So eating more calories than you burn, eventually lbs starting going up , I knew it was going to be a journey and not happen overnight. I went to Dick’s Sporting goods and got my first heart rate monitor. I began reading books, and read all about aerobic zones. So I wanted to make sure I was making each work out beneficial.  So, even though, I knew I could go faster, harder I stayed committed and focused to lose the weight. Now at this time in my training I was able to go at 1 ½ on the elliptical with no problem.  So being as heavy as I was, I stayed on the elliptical for a month. I started counting my calories and made sure my body was always in a deficit. One day I looked over my shoulder one day and seen a group of people getting ready for a class, I was like what’s this. I found out that it was a Spin class. Knowing you have to sign up for these, I signed up for the next morning. I have cycled before so had the shoes already so brought them as well. I came to the class strapped in and then instructor opened me with open arms. The class began and I watch the class on the movements as to what the instructor was spouting out. 3rd position, 2nd position hover cadence 120+. It was all new but it came fast. Now I was even more hooked. I now find myself doing 4-5 spin classes a week followed either by Elliptical to get more burn.  Well, monotonous started stepping in, and the elliptical started getting boring. I decided to try to go on the treadmill one day. I started going slow watching my HR making sure I stayed in my zones.  Increased speed then looked down. I just ran 2.5 miles and I was in shock. The last time I ran that far was back in college when I played lacrosse.  So, now I began feeling good about myself and started to swim. First couple of times, 25 yards was daunting. Then I continued to increase my distance. Signed up for a masters swim at the YMCA and I was well on my way.

Family Status: Single, never been married and has no kids.

Current Training: I am currently working with QT2 Systems with their Mission plan program.  I've made huge gains especially in my running endurance.  I did my first ½ marathon down in Hyannis and finished in 1:34 and change. Using their pace calculator,  and talking to my coach he gave me a goal to stick to. So dialed in Pace average which was calculated and made sure I kept to it. Prior to working with QT2 System’s I was self coached and always trained in the Grey Zones very close to Overtraining.  At the present moment my training is focused on building aerobic base -- lots of consistent, fairly easy running and biking and strength building.  One of my "A" race’s  for the year is PVD 70.3.  Over the next few months I'll be continue working on my base, then my build  finally reaching my peak before my taper in July before PVD.

2010 Races: Season Opener Sprint, Patriot Half Ironman, Derry Sprint, Lord of the flies, (Black Fly 3 day event), Whaling City Sprint, Sharon’s back Sprint, Cranberry Olympic, Buzzards Bay Sprint

Planned 2011 Races:  Escape the Cape sprint Triathlon, Providence 70.3, Whaling City, Sharon’s Back Sprint, Cranberry Olympic, Pumpkinman 70.3, Buzzards Bay Sprint, Duxbury Sprint

Weightloss: Continue to get to my goal of 195, Currently at 210.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentor: I love training for and racing triathlons; either by always giving advice of the mistakes I’ve made or to support all the Newbs. Triathlon is a huge part of my life.

2011-04-30 2:32 AM
in reply to: #3439366

User image

Iowa
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 Group - OPEN

Hi Scott

I would like to join your group. I am 53, about 5'10" and wieghed in at 246. I should weigh about 190. I have been doing some stuff on my own for about a month and I realized that I am way too easy on myself and need some assistance. I joined the Y a few months ago and started the elliptical, stationary bike (true brand) and weight training. Yesterday I went out and actually ran at the park, (I was planning to run 1.5 miles), after 1/2 mile I was sucking wind so bad I had to walk, it took me 16:20 minutes to finish and I was worn out.  I was on a swim team when I was a munchkin, ran high school track then began weight training.  My problem is that in my head I'm 30 years old but my body is screaming "your an out of shape 53 year old fat guy!" This will be a fun challenge for me and I look forward to you training advice. -Jim

2011-04-30 9:14 PM

User image

Hi Scott - I would like to join your group.  I am 53 years old, 147lbs (need to lose about 15-20lbs since I'm only 5'3").  I'm a runner who competed ages ago pre children.  I've been trying to get back into running shape for the past few years after a broken leg and tendon repair.  Last year I ran 3 5K's, each a little faster than the previous, but still very slow.  I've added biking the past few years and like to go out for 2-3 hour rides on the weekends when we don't have snow.  This winter a knee injury kept me from running and biking with any resistance so I decided to start swimming to keep my sanity.  I am a very poor swimmer but I find it very relaxing and all the time in the water got me thinking, hey I can do a triathlon!

Family Status:  married for 29 years, 3 children all adults

Current training: I am coming off an ITB injury so I am still babying myself as far as the running.  I try to run 3x a week about 3-1/2 miles each day (in the building my distance back up stage), bike 2x per week (about 8-10 miles - indoors because the weather is just starting to get nice), and then swim 3-5 times per week.  Train by myself 99% of the time because that's what I like.

This years races: Plan to run in 3 5K's and do a sprint triathlon in July.

I'm very much looking forward to group support.

Thanks!

2011-05-01 5:22 AM
in reply to: #3474496

User image

Expert
Welcome Jim... Well congrats on taking the first step. You sound like your doing the right things, but one piece of advice it's not going to happen overnight. There is a program called couch to 5k, you cam find that here. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'm here for you...Scott
2011-05-01 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3475379

User image

Expert
Welcome... First congrats on all your previous accomplishments. Second sorry to hear about your injuries... Well I am with you about training alone. So were to start. Have you to tried water running? Water running in the pool will continue building your aerobic endurance. Continue swimming as well because the faster you are horizontal the faster you will be vertical. Try not to increase your distances no more than 10% per week in volume. Well welcome to the group and look forward in helping out any which way I can...
2011-05-01 1:25 PM

User image

Yippee!  I got a reply.  I'm in the group.  Now my concept of a tri is approaching a reality.  I have not tried running in the pool, but have seen others do it.  I think I will try it.  I was all excited to go biking because it was supposed to be nice today, but I got up and I think my bike ride would be horizontal because of the winds.  Off to the club again.  Really want the nice weather to begin....live in MN.

One thing I've been trying to do is to really listen to my body so that I don't train through the pain.  I grew up training with more is more and just put the pain aside.  That doesn't work anymore.  The other thing I've been doing is to stretch my 2 workout days apart instead of back to back, giving my body 4-6 hours between workouts.  I work 1-11pms so 11:30pm-12:30am in the pool is heaven.  No one in the next lane who wants to chit chat if I need to take a breather.  And lastly, I now stretch....not just warm up running with a slower pace and cool down with a slower pace.  I do hate stretching, but I do quad, hamstring, itb stretching before I run, a light stretch after I run....and then before I go to bed.  So, that is pretty much my life.  And I love it.

I completed Grandma's marathon and that was the hardest thing I had ever done.  Talk about hitting the wall....but I wanted the darn T-shirt and finished in 4 hours.  If I can do that I can do anything.

Thanks for the advice and support.  I'm excited to be a member of your team!

Linda (Tashia was actually a character from Star Trek, but that's another story)

2011-05-01 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3475958

User image

Expert

Well, welcome! Stretching your work outs apart like that is a great idea. Do you train with a Heart Rate Monitor? Well, sounds like you are doing great so far with what you told me. What are your goals? Desires? etc...

Scott

2011-05-02 8:58 AM

Hi Scott - I would like to join your group.

My name is Barbara Caudill.  I live in a small town just south of Richmond, VA.  I am a single mom to a 13yo daughter.  I am 49 and will be turning 50 in July. 

Three years ago I found myself becoming a very unhealthy obese person.  I vowed to change that and have since lost 90lbs.  I am 5'5" and my weight fluctuates between 148 and 155lbs.  I want to get in the 140's and stay there.  I weight train 3x/wk (one of those w/ a trainer), and do 300-400min of cardio/wk.  I feel wonderful but need a new challenge.  I have been doing spin classes 2-3x/wk and love them.  I swim ocassionally but definitely need to work on endurance there.  Most of my running has been interval training, so I need to work on endurance there as well.  The rest of my cardio consists of elliptical, stairmill, and hill intervals.  I just bought a road bike last week and am trying to get comfortable clipping out without breaking my neck - lol!

I am going to register for a sprint tri in October.  I went to the site to register this morning but did not complete it.  I am not sure what kind of swim time to put in.  I am sure that it will change dramatically between now and October.

I plan to run 2x/wk, swim 2x/wk, and cycle 2x/wk.  I printed off a training program and am going to use that as a guide.

I look forward to getting to know other newbies and gain knowledge from your experience.

2011-05-02 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3477170

User image

Expert

Welcome Barbara, sounds like you well on your way. Glad to see you've been so active already. Do you train with a HR monitor? Have you signed up for any local 5k races? What's the furthest you've swam? Biked? and or Ran? Looking forward to hear about the journey in which you're going to begin. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. 

Scott

2011-05-02 5:52 PM

User image

Hi Everyone!  Scott - I have used the heart rate monitor in the past and had the cardio testing done twice to help figure out my zones.  I was taken off my migraine medication and since my heart rate has changed.  My rate increases much higher than before. So, between that and needing to get a new battery I've put it aside lately.  It seems like my regular runs are 3.4 miles and my heart rate is around 165 for most of it.

As for goals, I really only have one for now.  I want to finish the tri I signed up for on June 26th....which I've just calculated is only 8 weeks away.  I hope the lakes warm up here because I need to practice some open water swimming before the big day.  The swim is my biggest concern since that's my weakness.  I chose this race totally based on the swim distance and the lake is not murky.  The swim is 1/4 mile which will still be a challenge to me but should be managable.  Bike is 12 miles and the run is 3.6 miles.  I've looked at the stats for my age group from last year (I know get a life) and think that a 1:32:00 would put me just below 50% of finishers.

I plan to run 1-2 5K's before the tri, I probably will be around 33 minutes?

Linda

2011-05-03 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3478465

User image

Expert

Well since the Swim is your biggest weakness, look into getting the DVD called Total Immersion. To me that's the most efficient way to swim and my coach told me to get it. What exactly are you nervous about with the swimming?  Not knowing your Max HR, I'd say you're working a little hard. Majority of my training is done aerobic so, if you can't have a conversation without getting out of breath running you're working to hard. There will be plenty of time coming up to the event which you can induce speed intervals. With your upcoming 5k's go out slower, and try to have negative splits throughout the run. e.g. 

Negative Splits

Negative splits are the way to go. Start out a notch below the pace you know you can sustain, then gradually build your pace over the course of the race, racing your fastest at the end. By preserving your energy early on,putting some away in savingsyou earn some interest (extra energy) that you can use at the end of the race. This allows you to maintain a strong pace as you fatigue, finish really strong, and post your best possible time. Negative splits always yield your best overall time.

Table 1. Three Pacing Approaches for a Running Race

Even Splits

Positive Splits

Negative Splits

Mile 1

8:00

7:35

8:15

Mile 2

7:35

8:05

Mile 3

8:15

7:55

Mile 4

8:45

7:50

Mile 5

9:55

7:40

Total

40:00

42:05

39:45

2011-05-03 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3477187

Scott -

I have run a couple of 5ks - none recently though - last one was in October.  It would probably be a good idea for me to sign up for a couple this summer.  That is as far as I have run.......don't really like running - lol.  I am hoping that as I build my endurance and lose a little more weight that I will learn to like it.

I enjoy swimming and have just gotten back in the pool a couple of weeks ago after a shoulder injury in December.  I have been swimming 0.5 mile (alternating free + breast) and then doing some drills and working on flip turns.  I am going to join in on a fitness swim class this week. 

I have been getting good workouts in spin class.  I just bought a road bike last Thursday.  I am going on my first official ride this Thursday.  I have been trying to get used to disengaging from the pedals (have taken 3 falls so far Surprised)......My friend and I are riding an empty parking lot at work today to work on just that.  I have the tension back as far as it will go - so wish me luck.  I really wanted to get the spd pedals on the bike from the get go, because I realize the benefits of them from using them in spin class.  I just hope that I don't break anything!  If you have any words of wisdom I am open.........

I do have and have used a HR monitor with some workouts in the past.  Let me know of any input that you have in this area.

Barb

2011-05-03 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3479362

User image

Expert

Hey Barb, Well, I use all my HR with all of my training, my coach will give me a work out and a specific zone to stay in for that duration. I believe it's a good idea, and as for me being an engineer, I enjoy looking at numbers and analyzing data. I was very close to burning myself out last year and trained in the Gray Zone a lot, so this year I've been more dedicated to it. Sounds like you're making progress with the swim. As another member in here, Look into getting the Total Immersion DVD's. In my own opinion, I believe that's the most efficient way to swim. Especially in a triathlon. Good idea about the biking, you'll enjoy it. Have fun out there!  As for clipping in and out. I'm sure you can do that, just say to yourself when your slowing down to unclip and keep saying "right right right right" then when you're about to stop lean to the right. Falling isn't fun! Anyway keep up the good work and look forward to hear how things go.

Scott

2011-05-03 8:59 AM

Regular

I have always wanted to do a tri.  Ever since I have been working out at Lifetime I've seen the ads and have wanted to get in shape enough to do one. 2011 is my year - I started TEAM training (cardio and weight training) with a trainer in April and can already see a pretty big improvement on my conditioning.  I play broomball in the winter and stay active in the summer, so at least I have that going for me.  I do however need to lose some weight (30 pounds).  

My biggest concern with doing the tri was the running.  I can swim pretty well (just started up again and completed 400 meters in under 11 minutes).  Biking - I've been going to spin between two and four times a well for the past six months so I should be pretty good.  I got a new road bike just the other week that I haven't been able to ride due to the weather (another person that lives in MN).  I'm hoping to get out tonight.  I've been making some gains with my running over the past few weeks. The longest distance I have run at once is 1.65 miles (which was yesterday, I have been running about 1.5 miles at a time for the past week).  My biggest barrier for the run was that I smoked and just recently quit (a few weeks ago).  I can already tell the vast improvement in my endurance with running and not getting winded. Which is odd because my endurance was just fine with any other cardio activity, the running just killed me.

So, here's what I want to accomplish this summer:

• First triathlon (sprint distance) June 26th
  • Sprint distance of the LTF Triathlon July 9th
  • Olympic distance of a Triathlon August 26th

I'm 100% confident I will be ready for the sprint distances.  However, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get my running up to where I need to be in just four months.  I think it is realistic - what do you think?

I did my first mini-tri (on my own) at the club Saturday morning - I completed the swim, bike and 1.5 miles of the running and felt great.  I honestly  probably had another half to mile in me, but had to get to class in time so had to stop.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Jen

2011-05-03 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3479426

User image

Expert

Welcome to BT Jen

You can most certainly get your distances up to that distance in 4 months. Just remember to not increase your distance by no more than 10% a week. Also, yes you've been spinning in spin class, but as soon as the weather is better get out there. Spinning indoors and spinning on a bike are totally different. There are variables like Wind, Gravity, and other factors. 

Also, when you're getting close to your events, introduce some bricks into your work outs. A brick is one leg followed by the other leg within 10 mins. So, when you're comfortable bike for an hour and have your running stuff already. Get off the bike and begin your run. Your legs will feel jello, but trust me it doesn't last long. But I want you to feel what that's like. 

Do you have a Heart rate monitor? You should look to sign up for a 5k early june as your first accomplishment. Once you get your 5k under your belt you'll feel confident in knowing you can do the distance. 

Keep up the good work in the pool, remember that 1/4 mile is 440 yards. So you're almost there!  

2011-05-03 10:17 AM

Hi Scott,
Please add me.

Name:  Intan 

I'm currently in training for my first triathlon.  Excited but also worried (I'm beginner in swimming) and it's my weakest part   I need advise on breathing.

2011 Races: Cherry Blossom 10 Mile, Columbia Triathlon, Chicago Half Marathon, Army 10 Mile (TBC) and possibly Century Ride.

2010 Races: Cherry Blossom 5K, Wilson Bridge Half Marathon, Army 10 Mile, MCM 10K, and some local 5Ks. 

Weight loss: continue to get my goal of 120, currently at 145.

2011-05-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3479611

User image

Expert

Welcome Intan, what do you need to learn about breathing? Do you rotary breath? Look into getting the Book or DVD called Total Immersion,  That is the most efficient way to swim, and it will show you how to get balanced in the water and have proper shoulder roll to breath. 

Your race schedule seems pretty solid so far,  Any dates to those races?

Scott

2011-05-03 11:26 AM

New user

Hi Scott,

I am interested in joining your group too.  My name is Brian.  I’m 35, married, and have three young children.  My wife and I have a pre-nupt (in good fun) where we can give each other a hard time if our weights cross certain thresholds.  I crossed my threshold this winter and predictably began to hear, “Don’t you want to walk your daughter down the aisle?”  That coupled with family history of heart disease was enough for me to draw the line in the sand and hit the gym.

It wasn’t going too well initially because I didn’t have a goal.  Then a few guys in my neighborhood signed up to do a local sprint triathlon this June.  That’s what I needed.  I’m pretty competitive and resolved that I wasn’t going to lose to these guys, so I signed up too.

I’ve been running, biking and swimming for the past several months now.  The weight is dropping and my endurance has improved significantly.  I ran a 5k last month and will run another this weekend.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to squeeze in a third before the inaugural triathlon.  I hope to also compete in the Philly Sprint Tri and another sprint tri towards the end of the summer.  In 2012, I want to ‘graduate’ to Olympic distance events.

I am very new to tris and have no idea what to expect.  I think I’m more concerned with the logistics – spotting, getting kicked in the face, transitions, etc - than I am with the distance (at least at sprint distances).

Looking forward to participating in the group.

2011-05-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3479777

User image

Expert

Welcome Denny, I would agree, that was the only thing I was worried with as well. You won't win the race with the swim, but you can most certainly lose it.  If you're worried about getting kicked in the face, count to 10 when the whistle blows and let the mass go out ahead of you. Site, every 3-4 strokes to the buoy and you should be find. With the pause in start it will allow you to get in your groove.  Any specific questions you'd like to get answered?

Scott

2011-05-04 12:42 AM

User image

Jen,

Since you are in Minnesota and doing a sprint tri on June 26th I was wondering if it was the North Mankato Tri?  That's the one I signed up for and was just wondering if you would be there too.

Plan to go biking outside tomorrow (well today since it's after midnight).  Whether rain, snow, sleet or hail I'm going on a real bike ride because I'll go crazy if I stay inside any longer.  And Scott I'll even wear my HR monitor and let you know how it goes.

Good luck everyone!!!  Stay injury free.

Linda

2011-05-04 5:07 AM
in reply to: #3481017

User image

Expert

Sounds good! Be careful out there especially since you're biking at night. Have fun!

Scott

2011-05-04 11:20 AM

User image

New user

Fraser Valley

Hi Scott and the rest of the members of the Shellback 1998 group,

My name is Tammy and I would like the chance to share in the experience of training for our first respective triathalons. I am 28 years old and have always been in awe of triathletes, never thinking I could be one myself. I have always been the chubby girl in my family, class, group of friends, at work etc.

Until recently I have resented by wide hips, but that all changed last week when I was talked into running a half-marathon. This was my first ever running race and I trained half-heartedly for it. In the back of my mind I kept telling my self that I would walk/run it. But my team had other ideas and I surprised myself by running all 21 km, even if my run slowed down to the pace of a brisk walk. So my big butt powered me through and I since that day I have signed up for a 5 km run, another half-marathon 2 months away, and a Sprint half-triathalon in September.

My experience is limited:

I bike to work 2-3 times a week on my ole 10 speed, it is just a quick 20 min ride from my place. I have taken swimming lessons in the past and am decent but haven't swam laps in years, and I have just started running a few months ago.

What I am looking for is accountability and motivation, as I am motivated by motivating others. I am hoping that this group can provide me with both and that I can provide you with them too!  

2011-05-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3481690

User image

Expert

Welcome Tammy, congrats on finishing that race. How did you feel when you crossed that finish line? Well, you come to the correct spot. I will make you accountable if that's what you want.  Motivation will also be required, and I'll be asking a lot from you.

You're doing great so far from what you've told me. Biking, is good, what's the longest you've rode? What was the furthest you swam? What was the largest volume you ran training for your 21k? Well, look on cool runnings for a training plan for the Half Marathon, that's what I used for my HM back in February, Like you I was very committed and listened to my body. I train with a heart rate monitor and made sure I stayed in my Aerobic Zone the entire time, until race day then I just exploded. My average pace was 7:09 min/mil for my 21km and my average training pace was low to mid 9's. I swear by the HR training. Do you train with a HR monitor?

Out of the three legs, what do you think your limiter is? Swim, Bike or Run? Ok, looking forward in hearing back from you Tammy, good luck training

Scott

2011-05-04 1:01 PM

Hi Scott! My name is Kelly ~ married 13 years, age 40, 2 little girls.  My husband has lost 50 lbs by getting into Tri's last and this year. He looks amazing.  I myself am 25 lbs overweight, and it distanced us, because he was always gone training and racing, and I felt alone at home with the kids. We both work full time.  Well, I decided to get my butt out there and sign up with him to be his partner in a Sprint Couples Tri on July 10th! I read an article on Beginner Triathaletes and it was what I needed to inspire me.  I'm not naturally athletic, but will say I've been following an 11 week Tri training grid for going on the 3rd week, and I feel great and have lost 6 lbs so far.  Like everyone, I am terrified and feel like such a novice.  I got in the pool last night with my husband, and he was working on some drills with me. I just borrowed the total immersion dvd and plan on watching it tonite. So much to remember! I have my husband's old heart rate monitor which I need to figure out how to use, and a 'comfort series women's bike'.  Is that ok?  It's new, not expensive ($125) but am hoping that will do to get me thru till July .  Then I'll decide if I like this enough to want to upgrade.  My husband just upgraded..cost a small fortune!  Have one major question:  Is it ok to work in some weight training into my tri workout schedule?  i want to build some lean muscle but also don't want to overdo it. thoughts? Also...what 's the best way to figure out your target heart rate?

thanks for your help!

Kelly

2011-05-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3481932

User image

Expert

Hey Kelly, Congrats on signing up for the Couples Tri,

Working out is great! Especially if your your BF% is low, the Tri season is long and you'll need to build up the muscle mass. I'm just beginning my Build phase now, and still doing weight work.

In the weight room do some of the following excercises

• Lat pull downs
  • Squats
  • Leg Press
  • Leg Extensions
  • Hamstring curls
  • Seated Row

Now with that being said, most weight work outs are usually only used in the base phase. You can always do core workouts, by doing planks, sit ups, bicycle crunches, back extensions lunges etc. Nothing wrong with lifing in my eyes though. Although I'm not a coach. 

You're bike, I'm sure it's adequate though. Whatever your comfortable with, I'd say go. You're legs are the engine so no matter what technology you are riding, you still need the engine. So bike bike bike. 

What is Your Target Heart Rate?

In order to figure out which zone you're in, you first need to figure out what your own target heart rate is. You can do this by using the Karvonen Formula. You can also use any number of target heart rate calculators to get your heart rate zone, but many of them do not incorporate your resting heart rate (which makes it a bit more accurate).

Below is an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute.):

220 - 23 (age) = 197
197 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 132
132 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 85.8 OR 112.2
85.8 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 150 112.2 + 65 (rhr) = 177
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 150 to 177

Now to verify these, 

Best way to figure out your target hr, would be either to run or do an all out time trial on a bike for 8 mins. 

While you run, you'r HR will always be 5-10 beats higher than on the bike, but below is how to verify on the treadmill

For the treadmill,   warm up at a brisk pace for 5 mins, get your hear rate moving, then every minute, increase the speed by .2, until you can't go anymore. Have your hubby copy the numbers down and do an easy x,y plot. Do this again in a month. If you're max increases to the right you're becoming fitter. However, if it slips to the left you might be over training. 

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. 

Scott

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 67