American Sports Events
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 7s
Overall Rank = 112/155
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:45. Took a shower and got myself ready. Woke Susan to drive me to the race site, about 15 minutes from the hotel. The night before the skies had opened and poured down about 2" of rain in two hours. I didn't get to bed until after midnight. Got to the site with plenty of time to spare. Checked in and got numbered (#55). Found my position on the bike racks and set up my transition site. I was feeling pretty good at this point, a little nervous but nothing far from what I was expecting. Susan returned to the hotel to pick up the kids.
Event warmup:

I put on my wetsuit and did about 100 yards to get used to the temperature and loosen up my arms. No run or bike warmup.
Swim
  • 08m 38s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This went a lot better than I expected. I was nervous going in but settled in very quickly, and went out way to quickly. I went with the 4th wave, firsttimers. The woman swimming next to me kept pushing to the right, I finally poked my head up and yelled at her to straighten out, hopefully this wasn't too terrible etiquitte. I had overheard some folks talking before the race and mentioning that when winded they used the sidestroke, this is something I had not considered before, but used with great results. I found myself not being able to keep up with my freestyle, tried some breast at first but found that in the wetsuit I felt like I was fighting against myself, so I tried the sidestroke and it worked fantasticly. I actually felt like I was gliding through the water. Continued this for about 25 yards and then went back to my freestyle. Used it for another 25 yards or so at about the 350 yard point.
What would you do differently?:

I was pretty pleased, I'm not sure I would do anything differently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

This was rough. I got extremely light headed and had a hard time keeping my balance to get into my bike shoes. Had to go slow and regather my balance. Was breathing very heavy.

Need to work on my early morning food. I only had half a bagel and some gatorade, I was so nervous about my stomach not handling the food. I'm going to have to work on what I can eat and how far in advance.
Bike
  • 50m 1s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I had hoped to ride at about 16mph and be done in 45 minutes. There were long grassy portions that needed to be walked/ran before mounting the bike. I also had trouble getting into my clips at first - I think that was part of my dizziness from T1.

Ride faster. I keep thinking to myself that I didn't leave it all out there on the course. I suppose that was my desire to finish and not want to kill myself in any one event. I think next time I'll push myself harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Had to get off bike a good 60-70 yards before the transition area.

Nothing, I thought this transition was pretty good. I can't imagine I lost too much time tying my shoes. I had thought about getting those yankers things but this was just fine.
Run
  • 34m 51s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't happy with the baby steps I was taking up the hill. I walked for about 20 seconds and realized I was moving faster but was not happy so started running (if you can call it that) again. The hills sucked.

Run faster. I have to work on my pace, I should be able to do better than 12 minute miles. I think these are still my nerves regarding finishing. I have yet to train for any speed. This is still a part of my overall desire to continue losing weight and thinking that if I don't run far I won't work off as much fat. I've got to get past that.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs to the wife and kids!! Everyone was so proud, I felt this huge letdown that it was over. I was expecting a huge sense of euphoria but it wasn't there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I haven't trained to run or bike faster. Just slow and steady. Now I need to switch gears and think about this differently. I should be able to shave 10 minutes off just by getting my 12 minutes running miles to 9 or 10 minutes. Next year I'll have to invest in a new bike, my 1989 Schwinn Voyageur (who maybe now deserves a name) has treated me well but the thought that clean shifts and a lighter bike can cut time sounds good.

Event comments:

A little support goes a long way, a lot of support...what can I say. After talking through all this with Susan she has actually asked when I want to do the next one. Well....It looks like its going to be July 10, 2004. Another sprint tri in Mays Landing NJ. A mile shorter on the bike and flat! I'm hoping to best my time and leave it all out there! I'm beginning to get excited again and that feels good.

Last updated: 2004-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:38 | 500 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/155
Performance: Good
Suit: Performance Sleeveless
Course: Candlewood Lake. Out about 75 yards and then a left around a bouy, 350 yards and then a turn back into the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:01 | 12 miles | 14.40 mile/hr
Overall: 103/155
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 6 miles out and back. If you know the artist MC Escher you'll know what I mean when I say it was 6 miles of hills out and then 6 miles of hills back. I had thought that the race was going to be relatively flat, wow was I wrong.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:51 | 03.12 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 138/155
Performance: Below average
Course: Argggh. Just like the bike, 1.55 Miles uphill, and then 1.55 miles down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-03-18 12:00 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Try the Tri

2004-06-22 11:37 AM
in reply to: #19625

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Try the Tri
bump...great, detailed report by the way.
2004-06-22 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
am i wrong or is ther another 'try the tri' in danbury in the end of august?
2004-06-22 2:32 PM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
You are not wrong. There are actually three more I believe.
7/17 Sprint
8/21 Sprint
10/2 International distance (?)

Be prepared for hills.
2004-06-22 5:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations! You now have one under your belt. I felt a real let down after my first tri, as well. The second one was a whole lot more fun. I hope yours is too. Happy training.
2004-06-29 5:49 PM

New user

Stamford, CT
Great report! Congrats!
I am planning to do my first tri in Danbury on July 17th. I also thought that the course was going to be flat... guess I had better go check it out before the race.

2004-07-06 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Great race and report Steven !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try the Tri Rss Feed