By the Beach Productions
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 20s
Overall Rank = 3/95
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/31
Pre-race routine:

Brrrr. Cold & rainy morning. After registering, my friend and I waited in the car to stay warm & dry.

Ate 1/2 pb & j, drank some water, had a Mocha Buzz Clif shot 20 min before start.

Event warmup:

Luckily, the rain cleared just in time for the start! Walked to race start (3 min).
Run
  • 59m 20s
  • 7.6 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

It was supposed to be a 10k! I figured I was somewhere around an 8-8:30 min/mile pace, so imagine my shock around 50 minutes...still on the course, no end in sight!
What would you do differently?:

Stretch out more before, get new shoes (my knees hurt today).
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, stretch

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots of head wind. Course length - I couldn't pace myself after ~ 50 min or so when I still couldn't see the end...and lack of mile markers (which, incidentally, would have stopped the race organizers from making a race that was 1.4 miles too long!

Event comments:

I really, really want to say that this group did a good job. The weather didn't help with the volunteer situation, it was the first year they put it on and they were in a park with limited resources. I'm a huge fan of all-women events because I think that they bring a lot of new women out to participate and I like the overall atmosphere.

However, it's unacceptable to have the course length off by >1 mile (the 1/2 marathon was *under* distance by about 1.5 miles). I got the real distance by the winner, who had a GPS watch (and then later posted on the website). 5k was on, at least.

The race results and pace are published online as if it really was a 10k!

Pancake breakfast wasn't ready when we were finished. I ended up cooking when I got home - the oranges & bananas & water didn't quite cut it.

Race start delay was due to weather - a smart move, because it meant that we didn't get rained on during the run.

Small crowd meant that I did well in the rankings, so that feels good :)

Really cute t-shirts FOR WOMEN (another benefit of the all-women events). Got a pair of running/biking socks for placing - they're cute, but a men's large...so my fiance gets a pair of Mermaid socks.

Last updated: 2006-03-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:20 | 07.6 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 3/95
Performance: Average
Course: Some small hills, good scenery of the bay. Out and back with an additional loop at the end. Very, very windy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-03-13 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Subject: Mermaid Run

2006-03-18 6:52 AM
in reply to: #368793

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Mermaid Run

Kelly,

Great run. That must have been weird, running a pace and distance where you know the finish should be nearby but no finish.  It kind of throws out pacing when you don't know how long the race will be.  Congratulations on placing.  That must have felt great.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mermaid Run Rss Feed