Peak Health & Wellness
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 33m 1s
Overall Rank = 89/108
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Large bowl of cerial for breakfast about three hours before the race. Had an Odwalla drink about and 1-1/2 hours before the race. Had a small nonfat latte about an hour before the race. Laid out transition areas. Watched the early waves of swimming. Watched first T1 transistions.
Event warmup:

Stretched. Did about 10 minutes on spinning cycle. Ran .25 miles on treadmill. Swam about 100 yards and some TI drills. Felt ready but nervous.
Swim
  • 12m 9s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nervous during the first 100-200 yards. Form was terrible. Settled down in sweet spot, regrouped, and got into a pretty good rythym. My stomach was a little upset from breakfast and nervousness. Very happy with my time. Felt that I did my best considering my level of training.
What would you do differently?:

Need to relax. Eat less breakfast earlier as I usually train on a empty stomach.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Laid out towel as I read about. Covered stuff with visquine to protect from the rain. The towel acted to suck up water underneath and all of my clothes/shoes/jacket were soaked. Had trouble putting on shirt and jacket. Forgot to put HRM strap on before shirt. HRM strap was wet and had expanded somewhat resulting in loose fit. Had to adjust. Had trouble putting on socks and shoes. Forgot to loosen laces before race. Forgot to reset/start bike computer. Forgot to put on gloves (not needed).

Lay out transition area differenty when raining. Practice more. Loosen velcro sleeve straps on jacket. Adjust HRM prior to race. Loosen shoe laces prior to race. Use Coolmax socks next time (not cotton).
Bike
  • 44m 43s
  • 11 miles
  • 14.76 mile/hr
Comments:

At the first corner out of the transition area, a race marshal (an idiot!) on a four wheeler had left his vehicle in the street about 10 feet off of the corner, right in my way. I tried to go between the four wheeler and the sidewalk at the corner. The turn was too tight and my bike slid out from under me. I scraped my right knee and bruised my right quad. Luckily the bike was alright. It could have been a lot worse. I got up, yelled at the marshal, and headed out. The rest of the ride was wet and hard. Had minor cramping in my left calf. Warded off more severe pain by drinking water. Quad bruise was bothersome. Felt like I was going to puke most of the ride because of breakfast. Felt that I did my best considering my level of training.

Be more careful! Drink more water. Eat less breakfast earlier. Need to train more. Look into using a road bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 20s
Comments:

Fast transition. Used running shoes for bike leg so I didn't have to change shoes. Took off my helmet, put on my hat, took a drink and took off.

Nothing
Run
  • 32m 19s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting out after the bike was brutal, even though I had practiced it 5-10 times. Took 1/2 to 3/4 miles to be able to run normally. The run was a breeze. I actually passed a few people. I was so pumped with adrenaline because I knew then that I would finish. Finished strong with a good kick. Still felt like puking most of the time. By the end, my quad bruise was quite painful. I felt that I did my best.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Don't remember. I was too ecstatic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

T1 transition. Bike crash. Timing of breakfast. Training.

Event comments:

My first triathlon. Great day!! Two months ago I could not swim more than 50 yards without a 30 second rest, had never bike for more than a leisurely 10 miles, and hadn't run three miles since college. Thanks to the training plans on BT and Total Immersion, I was able not only finish my first Tri but beat my goal of 1:40. Now I'm hooked! The next one is in Helena in July.

Last updated: 2004-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:09 | 500 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/108
Performance: Good
Suit: Trunks
Course: 25 yard indoor pool. Two people per lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:43 | 11 miles | 14.76 mile/hr
Averaged about 150 bpm.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. City streets and rural roads. Some rolling hills. Did race on my 15 year old Specialized Rock Hopper mountain bike with trail tires.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:19 | 03.2 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Averaged about 150 bpm.
Course: Out and back. City streets and rural roads. Some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-05-24 10:47 AM

New user

Great Falls, MT
Subject: Peak Triathlon

2004-05-24 11:50 AM
in reply to: #26791

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Peak Triathlon

thats sooooo awesome!  sounds like u braved a lot of difficulties (and obstacles!) and still came out ahead.

great job.  cant wait to hear about your july race!

2004-05-24 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Awesome job. Way to overcome the difficulties.
2004-05-24 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Wow...

Quite an eventful triathlon you had there!!

Great job! It's amazing how far you've come, hunh?? (o:

Dana
2004-05-25 1:49 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Overcame the obstacles and finished your first race. Good time, great effort. Congrats, well done!
2004-05-25 4:03 AM

User image

Expert
England

Nice one - shame about the crash.

It rained the entire time on my first tri and I saw the experienced ones were using a large plastic box with lid to store their stuff at transition. They didn't lose any time but had clean, dry kit to grab. Of course, most had tri-suits so didn't need a change of clothese but at least stuff stayed dry for after the race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peak Triathlon Rss Feed