BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-12-19 12:19 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME:  sungirl919  /  Robin Muskopf

STORY:
I am a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) who was a middle school math teacher in my former life (read: before kids).  After a lifetime in organized sports I realized that, as an adult, finding organized, competitive team sports was difficult. My husband and I joined a gym where I began to run on a treadmill (which is weird if you've never done it before), reaquaint myself with swimming, and began taking group fitness classes.  This tamed my inner beast for a while until our gym hosted an indoor triathlon.  I had always wanted to complete a triathlon since I was a teenager (a good friend of mine competed--he now works for USAT!) and I thought this was a safe way to try one. I ended up being 2nd female overall. This has blossomed into a two year addiction with 2012 being my third.  I have competed in all but full-distance ("iron-distance") events, with all of them being podium finishes (except one).  I compete to salve my competitive nature, push myself physically, accomplish goals (besides cleaning the house and making dinner), and to provide a healthy example for my family.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful husband for 10 years and have 2 kids: one who is 7 and in 2nd grade and the other is 5 in preschool.  I can't forget the dog, Millie (mutt of my heart).

CURRENT TRAINING: In 2011 (season 2), I built up my race distances all season with my BIG GOAL at the end: my first half-iron distance.  I began with a sprint in early June, then 2 olympics (late June and August), then finished with my HIM in September.  No matter the distance, though, I train with a plan, but adjust it to my family's needs first.  I take plans from BT or various online sources and books and splice them according to what works best with the family schedule.  But I always have my training plan for the season or race laid out in advance.  It can always be tweaked later if need be!  Each day, my plan provides a reachable daily goal.  So, instead of looking at the overwhelming BIG goal, I achieve daily goals on my way to reach my BIG
goal!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: As mentioned above, in 2011, I competed in 4 triathlons.  My first for the season was a sprint (with the Warrior Dash the day before!!!!). This was quite memorable because a group of BTer's dressed as various superheroes for the race.  You may see our picture pop-up at the top if you pay attention!  Three weeks after I competed in a local olympic with a 4th woman overall finish and 1st in my age group.  In August, I defended my age group win in the Cleveland olympic distance (one of my favorite races!).  I ended my season with a 4th place finish in my age group (bumped to 3rd!) for the Half-Rev at Cedar Point.  Amazing things happened there!  Most of this season I was plagued by a painful hamstring/tendon issue...  I'm still wrestling with it!

2012 RACES: While my season isn't entirely planned out yet (thank you, leg), I have three races lined up: both of my olympic distances from last year, and I'm already registered for the half-rev at Cedar Point.  (I told you amazing things happened!)  Other than that, my main goal this year is to heal my leg first, then get faster on the bike!!!!!!  This is my achilles heal.  (well, that and my leg).  As of 12/17/11, I met my main training goal for this past year-- running 1000 miles. I'm not about to set a goal like that with an injury, so heal first, get faster on the bike, and then beat last year's finishing times!!!!

WEIGHTLOSS: My goal is to make it down to pre-baby weight.  I don't know if that will ever happen again, but each year with triathlons, I get a little closer.  I'm about 5 pounds away.  My goal is definitely to not gain anymore rather than lose anymore.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Two years ago when I first joined BT, I joined a mentor group and it was the best thing I did.  I was scared about it at first thinking I wouldn't have anything to say/write, but I found it a welcoming, safe place to ask all my questions and learn valuable information.  I still connect to 2 or 3 of those members quite often.  We're still encouraging each other.  It is my goal to pay it forward and welcome and encourage others their tri journey;  help beginners find answers to their questions (heaven knows I don't have them all). I am on BT multiple times daily and greatly appreciate conversation with other grown-ups, if you know what I mean!  With two complete seasons behind my belt in varying distances, I think I'd be best suited for other family-focused beginner to novice level triathletes. 

Edited by sungirl919 2011-12-28 9:45 AM

2011-12-22 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3943430

Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - open for business!
May I join your group? I am also a SAHM.  I like to call it "Domestic Engineer" ;-) Sounds so spiffy that way.  Anyways my munchkins are 5, 4, and 2.  Girl, girl, boy.

My history is: I am new to much that is athletic at all. Back in middle school and high school I played basketball, volleyball, tried gymnastics, karate.  Never took any of those very far.  
Via some internet browsing and friends, I discovered running in late Sept 2011.  Like I said, I am very new but very determined.  Then the idea of a triathlon entered my mind. 
My 2011 history is 2 5K races in October. Not much and I certainly wasn't first or even 40th to be bluntly honest.  However I have auto-immune arthritis which is extremely parallel to rheumatoid arthritis so you can get a general idea of the average concept. There have been days where just getting out of bed and getting dressed are unreasonably painful.   I have found running to actually be a comfort as counterproductive to severe arthritis that might sound.   My rheumatologist encourages me to have "activity as tolerated", and as an athlete I'm sure you also know the endorphins and happiness which completing tasks and goals can bring you. 
This year, 2012, I'd like to do a few sprint distance triathlons, I am registering for an 8K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, and hopefully a full marathon, shouldst my body allow it.  As well as at least one, if not 4 sprint distance triathlons.  This seems far fetched to me right now, but I'd love to make it to Ironman someday. Kona.
I've already gone from "lazy" (about MY fitness) SAHM, to "addicted to running".  
Hoping I can join your group. Feel free to ask me any questions if I've left anything out.
2011-12-22 11:35 PM

User image

New user

Dear Robin,

Good evening. My husband has been telling me about these mentoring programs for quite some time and I thought I would check them out to see if one of them looked like something I would want to join. I stumbled across your info and it seemed to be right up my alley. I am a newbie at these triathlons and running all together. I did my first running event back in May 2010 at the Eugene Half Marathon. I had my fiance (now husband) running right beside me. He looked like he was out for a leasurely stroll while I was giving it everything I had. I had never considered running before but when my husband proposed in October 2009, I knew I had to make a change. There was no way I was going to get married in a fat wedding dress. So on December 7, 2009, I made a change. Ever so slowly, I started walking on our treadmill (which had been collecting dust for way too long due to no usage) and then I got up the courage to run a little bit at a time. I tortured myself through a 3K run on January 1, 2010 in the Freeze Your Gizzard Blizzard Run in my town. I wouldn't say I ran it--I more walked it through the snow....But I have to admit there is nothing like seeing the finish line with your loved ones standing there cheering you on--no matter whether I was the 1st or last to finish--there they were ever so proud of me. I guess it was right then and there that I knew I was going to do the Eugene race no matter what. By the time race day came, it was 2 weeks before the wedding and I don't think I had ever been so nervous for anything like I was on race day morning. Plus I have to admit there's something about being able to run onto Hayward Field for the last 1/10th of a mile knowing that you've run in the footsteps of legends. Since that fateful day in Eugene in 2010, I've run/walked about 8 half marathons (don't think I'm brave enough for a full marathon) and have signed up for the Eugene race again in 2012. I don't think my husband will be joining me this year as he has been crazy enough to sign up for a full Ironman in Coeur d'Alene in June. He has been training for that race for quite some time and will be up until that crazy June day. I am signed up for the Eugene race in April and then the Rock n Roll Portland 1/2 Marathon a few weeks later. I am thinking about doing a race in Atlanta (my hometown) in March, but we'll see if my husband got the hint that I want the entry into that race as my Christmas present. I took some time off from running this year because with a full-time job, a 5-year old, and a 17-year exchange student from Germany, this past year has been hectic. Thankfully, I have a husband that makes sure I get out of bed at 5 am each morning to run on the treadmill. I started out back running last week running 1 mile each day on the treadmill and now I'm at 1.25 miles each day. Starting back running has been hard but I am so very glad I am doing something just for me. Next week, I am running 1.5 miles each day and then will cap out at 2 miles each day and then start running longer runs on the weekends. I am not a fast runner by any means---right now I'm at 12 minute miles while my husband can average 8 minute miles. Although I most likely won't ever be able to catch up with him, I am glad that we have something that we can do together that is healthy for us that we both enjoy.

I guess I should ask before signing off---can I join your group?

Have a great evening and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Ryan :)

Edited by rsreeve 2011-12-22 11:54 PM
2011-12-23 1:02 AM

<p>Hi Robin, I would love to join your group. I am a sahm to an 8 and 5 yr old, while working various very-part-time jobs I can do with them. I'm always on the go. I've been a member of the leukemia and lymphoma society's team in training for two years now and currently training for another half marathon in May with them. Last year I completed two beginner triathlons and fell in love! I cannot wait to complete more in 2012!!! Looking forward to being a member of your group and learning about the triathlon world. Btw- before team in training I was a couch potato so I still struggle with my inner lazy self. </p><p>Rebecca</p>

Edited by racfg 2011-12-29 8:30 AM
2011-12-23 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3950894

User image

Expert
C-bus

jmcgilvery - 2011-12-22 11:12 PM May I join your group? I am also a SAHM.  I like to call it "Domestic Engineer" ;-) Sounds so spiffy that way.  Anyways my munchkins are 5, 4, and 2.  Girl, girl, boy.

My history is: I am new to much that is athletic at all. Back in middle school and high school I played basketball, volleyball, tried gymnastics, karate.  Never took any of those very far.  
Via some internet browsing and friends, I discovered running in late Sept 2011.  Like I said, I am very new but very determined.  Then the idea of a triathlon entered my mind. 
My 2011 history is 2 5K races in October. Not much and I certainly wasn't first or even 40th to be bluntly honest.  However I have auto-immune arthritis which is extremely parallel to rheumatoid arthritis so you can get a general idea of the average concept. There have been days where just getting out of bed and getting dressed are unreasonably painful.   I have found running to actually be a comfort as counterproductive to severe arthritis that might sound.   My rheumatologist encourages me to have "activity as tolerated", and as an athlete I'm sure you also know the endorphins and happiness which completing tasks and goals can bring you. 
This year, 2012, I'd like to do a few sprint distance triathlons, I am registering for an 8K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, and hopefully a full marathon, shouldst my body allow it.  As well as at least one, if not 4 sprint distance triathlons.  This seems far fetched to me right now, but I'd love to make it to Ironman someday. Kona.
I've already gone from "lazy" (about MY fitness) SAHM, to "addicted to running".  
Hoping I can join your group. Feel free to ask me any questions if I've left anything out.

Welcome aboard!!!!  I am in awe by your motivation to exercise and train with the discomfort you must have.  It is my goal that this thread/group keeps you going!!!  And, if you're addicted to running now, just wait until you've done your first triathlon!  It's as if the clouds part, the sun shines down on you, and you don't know what you did without triathlons!

You don't have to rewrite what you just told me, but if you could copy and paste the bio and fill in your answers (cliff-note version is just dandy).  Also, be sure to include any questions that you have that you would definitely like answered in our group.  This will help guide our discussions as we get the ball rolling!

Thanks!!!!  And welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-12-23 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3950955

User image

Expert
C-bus
rsreeve - 2011-12-23 12:35 AM

Dear Robin,

Good evening. My husband has been telling me about these mentoring programs for quite some time and I thought I would check them out to see if one of them looked like something I would want to join. I stumbled across your info and it seemed to be right up my alley. I am a newbie at these triathlons and running all together. I did my first running event back in May 2010 at the Eugene Half Marathon. I had my fiance (now husband) running right beside me. He looked like he was out for a leasurely stroll while I was giving it everything I had. I had never considered running before but when my husband proposed in October 2009, I knew I had to make a change. There was no way I was going to get married in a fat wedding dress. So on December 7, 2009, I made a change. Ever so slowly, I started walking on our treadmill (which had been collecting dust for way too long due to no usage) and then I got up the courage to run a little bit at a time. I tortured myself through a 3K run on January 1, 2010 in the Freeze Your Gizzard Blizzard Run in my town. I wouldn't say I ran it--I more walked it through the snow....But I have to admit there is nothing like seeing the finish line with your loved ones standing there cheering you on--no matter whether I was the 1st or last to finish--there they were ever so proud of me. I guess it was right then and there that I knew I was going to do the Eugene race no matter what. By the time race day came, it was 2 weeks before the wedding and I don't think I had ever been so nervous for anything like I was on race day morning. Plus I have to admit there's something about being able to run onto Hayward Field for the last 1/10th of a mile knowing that you've run in the footsteps of legends. Since that fateful day in Eugene in 2010, I've run/walked about 8 half marathons (don't think I'm brave enough for a full marathon) and have signed up for the Eugene race again in 2012. I don't think my husband will be joining me this year as he has been crazy enough to sign up for a full Ironman in Coeur d'Alene in June. He has been training for that race for quite some time and will be up until that crazy June day. I am signed up for the Eugene race in April and then the Rock n Roll Portland 1/2 Marathon a few weeks later. I am thinking about doing a race in Atlanta (my hometown) in March, but we'll see if my husband got the hint that I want the entry into that race as my Christmas present. I took some time off from running this year because with a full-time job, a 5-year old, and a 17-year exchange student from Germany, this past year has been hectic. Thankfully, I have a husband that makes sure I get out of bed at 5 am each morning to run on the treadmill. I started out back running last week running 1 mile each day on the treadmill and now I'm at 1.25 miles each day. Starting back running has been hard but I am so very glad I am doing something just for me. Next week, I am running 1.5 miles each day and then will cap out at 2 miles each day and then start running longer runs on the weekends. I am not a fast runner by any means---right now I'm at 12 minute miles while my husband can average 8 minute miles. Although I most likely won't ever be able to catch up with him, I am glad that we have something that we can do together that is healthy for us that we both enjoy.

I guess I should ask before signing off---can I join your group?

Have a great evening and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Ryan

Welcome Ryan!!!!!  Sounds like you know what to do to start up again!  That's great!!!  Now, if you could pass me some of that "early-morning-riser" ingredient, I would be forever thankful!  Sounds like you have an interesting year ahead of you with an exchange student.  Hopefully youl'l be able rub off some of the exercise-love on them! 

Just for clarity's sake, if you could use my bio as a template, (just copy and paste it, then put in your cliff-notes answers), that would be very helpful to me and others who may join our group.  Also, if you have any questions you have now, feel free to post them in there and that will give us a great place to start or discussions!!!

Thanks for joining!!!!  (and you could always have your hubby read your initial posting a not-so-subtle hint for a Christmas present!)

2011-12-23 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3950990

User image

Expert
C-bus

racfg - 2011-12-23 2:02 AM Hi Robin, I would love to join your group. I am a sahm to an 8 and 5 yr old, while working various very-part-time jobs I can do with them. I'm always on the go. I've been a member of the leukemia and lymphoma society's team in training for two years now and currently training for another half marathon in May with them. Last year I completed two beginner triathlons and fell in love! I cannot wait to complete more in 2012!!! Looking forward to being a member of your group and learning about the triathlon world. Btw- before team in training I was a couch potato so I still struggle with my inner lazy self.

Don't we all!!!!!!  I'm struggling with my lazy self this week especially-- I met a long-term goal and while I want to do nothing and enjoy the holidays (lazily), I also don't want to lose the fitness I have worked so hard for!  (I know, bad grammer.

Welcome aboard!  If you could please copy and paste my bio, but fill in your answers so we could get a better glimpse of your goals, races, situation, that would be great!!!  Also, if you have any questions you want answered now, let me know that as well and we can start discussing that, too!!!

Welcome, again!!!

2011-12-23 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

So my in-laws (who were in town for a funeral) stopped by to take the kids to lunch.  Time to sneak in a quick swim!!!!  (That's how I roll, folks!)  Why dust and when you can exercise?  The dust will be there when the kids are sleeping tonight.  I'll attack it then...

2011-12-24 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Hi everybody!  Just a little housekeeping today.  I just wanted to familiarize you guys with the site a little bit and how I envision this mentor group to work. 

First, if you could pleasey-please, with a cherry on top, tell us your actual name, that would be really helpful! 

Secondly, I will be the first to tell you that I don't have ALL the answers.  I have been around BT for two years now, so I'm very familiar with common debates -- which bike do I need?  what shoes are better?  how do I do transitions?  do I need a wetsuit?  how do I work in this race when I'm training for this one, too?  But, I'd like our group to be very open and encourage each other, inspire each other, keep each other honest, vent when needed.  Think of it more of an open discussion rather than a lecture.  (Lectures are no fun.)

#2 leads me into #3:  Inspires!!!  When you first log in (where it tells you you're logged in on the top left corner), and you see a red "inspire", someone sent you a personal note.  You can click on it to read it, and if you want to reply to it, click QUOTE!  If you just hit reply, it won't be sent to the person you're trying to reply to.  I'll be sending you some inspires just as another way to check in.

#4:  Please "friend" our team members and open up your logs for them to see.  To friend people, go to your training log.  On the left side, there is a plus sign for "friends".  Marmadaddy should be there already.  Click on the plus sign then type in our BT names. Don't forget to click on the button at the bottom to save them!

#5:  Track your workouts.  It'll be very difficult to send inspires if we don't know what you're doing!  Please track your workouts in the training log section.  This is will be helpful to our discussions and keeping each other honest. 

#6.  If you have privitized your training logs, please at a minimum, allow "friends" to see them.  This setting can be changed in the (drum-roll, please) "settings" tab!  (I know, that one was a shocker.)  I think that was explained as to why, in #5. 

Feel free to jump on in whenever you have someting on your mind.  Have a Happy Christmas Eve!  And get a little exercise in for yourself today!  (I think I'll do yoga in the basement...)

Edited by sungirl919 2011-12-24 8:53 AM
2011-12-25 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Merry Christmas to my group and to any others who would like to join!

2011-12-25 2:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome!! I hope to put myself in awe as well.  Every day had/has been a challenge, so I decided to take it to another level.  I have medical issues that put  me at risk, just doing every day tasks, really. So I want to make the most of it!! Someday I'm not going to be able to function without a LOT of help, so I hope to spend that time reflecting on all of what I did before I lost my general mobility. :-) I sound insane, I'm sure.
Right now I'm facing a spinal problem. I had an MRI this past Thursday, 12/22/11 and I expect the report and results from the doctor this week.  Three weeks ago today, Sunday, I had a spinal injury. A strange, scary one. I merely SNEEZED and was incapacitated immediately. The ER doc didn't know what to do or to say, and so they just gave me pain meds (3 days worth) and suggested I follow up with my doc and an MRI. That's done, I await the results. And since the "injury" I have not been allowed to even run.  KILLING ME. AAAAAHHHH!!! So I've listened, only because I don't want additional damages. I've kept it smooth and done some walking at whatever is a tolerable pace.  
That is what's new or current with me. *fingers crossed for good news this week* (as in PT as a remedy over surgery!!)

I have a triathlon question.  What sort of bicycle do I need to have (or get)??  Are there laws governing what brands or styles?   I am curious as this is the only equipment I really would need and I'm certain what I have (basic mountain bike) isn't necessarily standard.  

2011-12-25 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3953398

User image

Expert
C-bus
jmcgilvery - 2011-12-25 3:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome!! I hope to put myself in awe as well.  Every day had/has been a challenge, so I decided to take it to another level.  I have medical issues that put  me at risk, just doing every day tasks, really. So I want to make the most of it!! Someday I'm not going to be able to function without a LOT of help, so I hope to spend that time reflecting on all of what I did before I lost my general mobility. :-) I sound insane, I'm sure.
Right now I'm facing a spinal problem. I had an MRI this past Thursday, 12/22/11 and I expect the report and results from the doctor this week.  Three weeks ago today, Sunday, I had a spinal injury. A strange, scary one. I merely SNEEZED and was incapacitated immediately. The ER doc didn't know what to do or to say, and so they just gave me pain meds (3 days worth) and suggested I follow up with my doc and an MRI. That's done, I await the results. And since the "injury" I have not been allowed to even run.  KILLING ME. AAAAAHHHH!!! So I've listened, only because I don't want additional damages. I've kept it smooth and done some walking at whatever is a tolerable pace.  
That is what's new or current with me. *fingers crossed for good news this week* (as in PT as a remedy over surgery!!)

I have a triathlon question.  What sort of bicycle do I need to have (or get)??  Are there laws governing what brands or styles?   I am curious as this is the only equipment I really would need and I'm certain what I have (basic mountain bike) isn't necessarily standard.  

Holy cannoli!!!!!!!!!!  I've sneezed or picked up a sock wrong on the floor and threw my back out before, but nothing like that!!!!!  Wowza!  Please, oh please, follow doctor's orders and get his blessing before you start your plan.  I am definitely NOT a medical professional.  It is my goal to give you the TOOLS you need to exercise the right way FOR YOU.  If something is painful, don't do it! 

Even now, I think you're tougher than I could ever be: facing a challenge and your future head-on.  You've got guts.  You can do anything!

Now, regarding the "easy answer", the bike.  THe "right" bike is one that fits your body the right way.  For sprint distances, it can be a road bike, tri bike, hybrid, mountain...  All you need is one to get you from transition 1 to transition 2.  If you have one, great!  Just make sure it's in good working order (breaks work, chain is greased, etc.) and that it fits you.  What do I mean?  Take it to a knowledgable friend or your LBS (local bike store) to get a fit.  They will be able to make sure the top tube is the right size for your reach, the frame is right for your height, and the seat is the right height to give you the right angle for your knees and hips.  You don't want to be miserable on the bike riding like a 10 year-old with your knees up in the air hitting the handlebars.   A fitting can make your ride enjoyable and safer for your body parts--read: knees, hips, back, wrists, and rear end. 

You may also want to research your races.  Many of them have categories for mountain bikes (since they're slower than road/tri bikes).  If you have a mountain bike, you can either register for your age group (AG) or in the mountain bike category.  You pick! 

If you don't have a bike, that's ok too.  You can borrow one from a friend (again, get a fitting), or some LBSs or websites will even rent you a bike. 

Since these are your first tris, I don't recommend buying anything brand new unless you're sure you want to make this a habit.  My husband found his bike off of craigslist.  Again, he had a fitting for the bike. 

Hoping for good news for you!!!!

Edited by sungirl919 2011-12-25 5:33 PM
2011-12-25 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3953480

I realize you're not a medical professional. I just thought I'd share what's going on, simply because you now know why I'm not doing anything too specific for training.  I will look into bikes and see.  I've been just using a family member's basic mountain bike, and I've joined a gym, which I've not been able to go to.....LOL.   I'm ready to get this show on the road! I'm so excited. My family is all still INSANELY skeptical. I mentioned an 8K I want to do in March, and everyone is still looking at me apprehensively. 
I'm SO PSYCHED though. I don't care about pain.  I have to avoid injury but I spend my days in pain so why not accomplish something to be HAPPY about?!?!?  That's how I look at it.  Watching the 2008 Ironman on Hulu. com  I realized I have no excuses. There was a woman, who was like 72 and FINISHED.  Why can't I? 
My motto: No excuses. :-)

2011-12-25 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

You have a fantastic attitude.  I am a firm believer in making personal goals and hitting them.  As long as they're healthy, bring you joy, and are attainable realistic, go for it!!!!!  It doesn't matter what anyone else says!

YOU GO, GIRL!

Edited by sungirl919 2011-12-25 8:17 PM
2011-12-25 9:35 PM

I think my goals are realistic.  I would love to say someday I did Ironman Kona. But I realize that's not likely. Just like I tell my skeptical family of "haters", I never said I was going to WIN the race(s) I just want to complete them. FOR ME. I realize with my medical issues and the fact I've put on weight having three babies in a row, literally, I'm not Olympic material. I know I'll never have a marathon PR of 2:15 or something.  Even if the thing took me 58 hours I'd still be smiling and proud as heck!
2011-12-25 10:26 PM

WHEN CAN YOU START BEING MENTORED CONSISTENTLY: Immediately

NAME:  jmcgilvery/ Joy McGilvery

STORY:
I am a full time, stay at home mom.  I like the title "Domestic Engineer".  If a home life is coordinated and handled properly it takes a lot of dedication and work. I strongly dislike it as people make it out to be some lazy deal where I sit on the couch, eating chocolates, and sobbing over soap opera dramas. Not at all. I actually never-to-rarely watch TV at any time of day!  My children are being raised to the best of my capability, and my goal is to have them be decent human beings, and productive members of society. I've been so dismayed as my generation fails so badly raising children, compared to the generations preceeding mine.  My children, from age 2 and up have known about everything on a Kindergarten readiness checklist.  Colors, numbers, shapes, letters, and all of those in each category.  They all have impeccable manners, including greeting people as sir and ma'am, and they all used silverware independently (short of a knife for obvious reasons) well prior to the age of 2. All three of them have good BMI's, none have even come close to classifying as obese.  Some may say all of that is "no big deal" and I'd return them with the challenge of doing it too. It is not as easy as it seems. Hasn't anyone noticed how many young children have NO manners, swear, oh and are OBESE?  Or even worse, how many two, three, four, five year olds you meet that can't tell a letter "A" from a square or a school bus? Or can't talk, at all? It blows me away when I meet kids that are 5 or 6 and babble worse than mine did at 12 months.  Seriously.  Okay now you know about my "career", overworked, underpaid, and not yet appreciated.

FAMILY STATUS: I have three amazing, beautiful, smart children. Ages: 5, 4, and 2.  Girl/girl/boy.  I've been married to the same lunatic for over ten years.  We have a traditonally disfunctional relationship. He's a man, he does things that make me CRAZY, I yell at him a little, and he does them all over again. The word domestic is absolutely not in his vocabulary. Nor are the words, responsible, or organized outside of his job. He is only handy and useful at work...... that's just him.
 That's why I make the big bucks being the coordinator of all things domestic. Wink

CURRENT TRAINING:Currently I am on a temporary hiatus from training due to a (hopefully) minor spinal injury. I get my MRI results soon so hopefully this section will change.  My history is, I discovered running in September 2011, did two 5K races in October, and just have run a lot since. (Until my injury) So I am SUPER New.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did the Boo Run Run in Erie, PA as well as the North Warren VFD 5K held Halloween weekend. 

2012 RACES: I would like to increase distances and speeds/times with running, which won't be hard since I've only done two 5K's that took me a LONG time. (I'm no olympian....) and I am hoping to add at least one if not more Sprint Distance Tri's.
In my wish-hope list:
Shamrock Run 2012 March 3, in Buffalo, New York 8K
The Cinco  5 mile or 1.5 mile choices, May 5, 2012  Warren, Pennsylvania
Sunset Shuffle (The Ice Cream Race) 5K  Erie, Pennsylvania
Presque Isle Half Marathon  July 15, 2012  Erie, Pennsylvania Or
http://www.musselmantri.com/ Same weekend.  Or maybe both!!
UPMC Hamot 10k / Mayor's Cup 10K  August 19, 2012  Erie, Pennsylvania
Erie Marathon at Presque Isle  September 16th, 2012  Erie, Pennsylvania

Blueman Tri OR
Pain In The Alleganies Triathlon Both on Sept 23rd
My race schedule actually depends on my husband's work schedule and/or my parents ability or availability to watch my kids. :

WEIGHTLOSS: I want and need to lose quite a bit.  My weight is not at my all time high but it's definitely too high. If I keep training the way I plan to, and doing all those races I shouldn't be too concerned by this time next year.  I don't have a problem with overeating, I had a FORMER problem with too much inactivity.  The arthritis led to depressive states and on and on.  Hermit woman for a long time.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOREE: I am determined. More than just about anyone. I've got a lot of things to conquer to be successful at this, and even be able to complete races.  I'm a good mentoree because I WANT THIS so much!! Like I've said I'm no elite athlete, and I'll be happy to finish races/triathlons.  Completing races is my goal. If I get really fast, AWESOME. If I don't get offered an Olympic entry, so be it.  I think believing I can become an elite athlete anytime soon would be setting myself up for failure, emotionally.  Maybe with some work I can come in 3 or 4th in my age group.  

2011-12-26 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Hi everyone! I'm just popping in to say hello and tell you all that you have made the right choice selecting Robin as your mentor! She is awesome! And I know this because I have raced side-by-side with her as both a superhero (Robin was Robin Girl Wonder, I was Wonder Woman and like Robin said keep your eyes open when looking at the top banner you never know when the superheros will appear) and a normal BT'r. She's passionate, driven, knowledgeable and FAST but most importantly - she is an amazing person who is generous and giving and believes in giving back to her family and her community. I'm sure you will all have a great year with her!

I wish you all great fortune and fun hard work,

Twink

PS. I'm going to send a couple of local friends your way Robin!

2011-12-26 2:11 PM

Robin,
Do you join USAT? I'm wondering if this is necessary. I see the mention on sites where I want to sign up for triathlons.  Also an fyi my back is feeling a little better. Ran 1/2 mi at a slow pace and walked another mile gently.  No official word from the doctor as they're closed today.

I've also done some research on bikes. So far so good, I'm just not ready to commit $2,000+ to a bicycle.  Keeping my eyes open for other options. Might even buy an off brand bike to use my first year or two.  

2011-12-26 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3954171

User image

Expert
C-bus

I am a member of USAT just because I do 4 or more races a year.  I just base it on cost-effectiveness.  My first year I didn't join because I only did 3 races.  Membership is around $40/year or an extra $10 per race if you're not a member. 

For your bike, I would find a reputable LBS, go and look around, "relationship build"--tell them your goals and have them determine a ballpark size for you.  Stores are trying to dump their 2011s to make room for the 2012s so you may find a good deal.  Craigslist is also a decent option and also, if you haven't looked there yet, check out the "classified" section under the "forums" tab at the top.  Bikes are offered there a lot. 

Fantastic job knowing your body--when to run, when to walk.  I always have the problem of pushing myself too hard.  I could learn some good lessons here!

I loved your profile!  I now feel like I know you lots better--your goals, your races, your perspective on life.  I'm really excited about this!  Take some time this week to focus in on which race(s) you want to do on your doubled-up weeks.  That will give us a great jumping off point for base building in the cold, winter months.  It will give us a direction of "run"-focusing or SBR focusing.  Your spacing of the races picked looks really good and doable.  But if I were you, I would only focus on one race per weekend (depending on the intensity/distance of it).   

2011-12-26 6:25 PM

User image

New user

NAME:  rsreeve/ Ryan

STORY: I already posted my story in an earlier post, but I thought I would add a few lines....I participated in my 1st triathlon in June of this year at the All Women's Blue Lake Triathlon. I have to admit that the 1st one was so scary and exciting. I had practiced and practiced the swimming probably more than the running and the biking because it had been a number of years since I had swam around other people and I thought I was prepared for the swim, but swimming in a pool (where I can see the bottom) and swimming in a lake where you cannot see the bottom are 2 totally different things. My husband said he could definitely pick me out of the water among all the other ladies because I wouldn't put my head in the water. He said I just need more practice in lakes so I get over that fear and I'm sure he's right. He seems to be able to jump right in the lake and swim like he's a dolphin made for the water. I guess I am more like my black lab who won't go in the lake at all---put me in a bathtub and I'm great---lake not so much. I'm working on it. The next triathlon I did was in Redmond, Oregon at the Redmond Area Triathlon. The best part (for me) was that the swimming portion was in their local public pool. The pool did drop from 4 feet deep to 12 feet deep so that took a few laps to get used to, but I did it. The ride was nice, but quiet because they had so many people doing the triathlon that they started it all in waves so unless you were one of the 1st 12 finishers out of the pool during your wave, you rode quite a while by yourself til the next wave caught up to you.

Although my dear sweet husband didn't get the hint that I wanted the entry into a half marathon in Georgia for my Christmas present, he did surprise me with my very own wetsuit (with sleeves-never worn one with sleeves before) and an entry into the Olympic Rev 3 Triathlon in July 2012. When I first looked at it, I was nervous because I thought he had signed me up for the same Rev 3 (half Ironman) that he did last July. I am a newbie at these triathlons and working on getting some weight off so I knew that would scare me a bit so when I was able to breathe again, I asked him--is this for the half? He kindly said, "No, it's for the olympic." I was so happy I kissed and hugged him. One of these days, I might do a half Ironman, but for now, I've got to build up my confidence (I feel) with these smaller (less distance) races.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 1.5 years to my sweet husband and then we have a 5 year old little boy. We also have a very lazy, but sweet black lab named Lucky.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am right now concentrating on running on our treadmill at home. I started at 1 mile for 6 days a week and then got to 1.25 miles for 6 days a week. I am now on week 3 at 1.5 miles for 6 days a week. I will build up 0.25 mile per week til I am running 2 miles per days, 5 days a week with longer runs on Saturday or Sunday with 1 day to rest.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My first race of the year was the Women's Princess Half Marathon at Disneyworld in February. Although I grew up with humidity (growing up in Atlanta), I had never practiced/nor ran long distances in the humidity. I was doing great until about mile 7 or 8 when the humidity kicked into high gear and I had to stop and catch my breath. I took my son and our exchange student who cheered me on along the way. Then, I did the Shamrock 15K here in Portland which included a run up the dreaded Terwillger Hill near OHSU. I finished that race in the rain and satisfied that I had completed and beat that darn hill. Then in May, I did the Eugune Half Marathon. I wasn't as prepared as I should have been for that one. Next I did my 1st triathlon in June at the All Women's (sprint distance) Triathlon. In August I did my 2nd triathlon at the Redmond Area Triathlon (Race the RAT) in Redmond, OR. In October, I did the 2nd annual Portland Half Marathon. Again, I wasn't as prepared for that race as I should have been, but I still crossed that finish line (in the pouring rain I might add). I will end this year with a race on December 31st...Can't wait!

2012 RACES: My last race of this year (kickoff to next year) will be the "Freeze Your Gizzard Blizzard Race" on December 31st. I think I will be running the 3K. Then, if the airfare isn't too expensive, I will be doing a half marathon in Atlanta in March. Oh I better not forget the Run for Women's Health in February here locally in the town across the river. The Eugene Half Marathon is scheduled for the last Sunday in April. The very next weekend, my hubby has talked me into doing the Wildflower Triathlon near King City/Paso Robles, CA. He's doing the 1/2 Ironman and I think I'm set for the Olympic distance. Then 2 weeks after that race, we're set for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Portland. I think I'll take a few weeks off from racing after that to cheer my husband on at his 1st Ironman in Coeur d'Alene in June. Then, I've got the Rev 3 Olympic Triathlon for July. Not sure what's after that, but I think my plate is quite full with the 1st half of the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to take off some pounds. I know I can do it--I did it before (I ran for 6 months before my wedding and participated in my 1st ever half marathon 2 weeks before my wedding) and I took off 60 pounds. I know I can lose weight again. 

Hope this gives you a bit more info/story on me. Hapy New Year. Keep running!

Ryan

2011-12-26 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Wow!  You've got a great history leading up to this year.  You have experience running, a tri under your belt, and the most fearsome thing--open water swimming where you can't see in front of you!  This is probably the most surprising element in triathlon if you haven't practiced it.  You also have a great person to go to for advice (besides me!!!    ), your dear husband! 

It does sound like the first half of the year is set for you!  Excellent!  You can now start setting your sights on how to get "from here to there" regarding training...  (more on that later!)

Glad to hear from you again!  Hope you had a great holiday! 

2011-12-26 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!  Page 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2011-12-26 7:18 PM

Some of the races I want to enter say "swim cap will be provided and MUST be worn for safety"  I understand a lot of people wear them but how do they keep you safe? Silly question I'm sure but anyways, WHY is it a safety issue? :-)

2011-12-26 7:19 PM

Robin do you have a facebook?

2011-12-26 7:31 PM

Robin I understand overdoing it as well.  I'm always tempted. However when you have THIS much pain, your body doesn't give you a choice. Seriously.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12