BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- CLOSED~ we're swimming! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2011-12-19 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: Matt Gilmartin's Group- CLOSED~ we're swimming!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I'm available immediately.

NAME: mcgilmartin/ Matt

STORY: I'm a lifelong swimmer and started in triathlon in 2007.  I've competed in distances ranging from sprint to half ironman.  I haven't had the opportunity to tackle a full 140.6 yet, but it's in my long-term horizon.  I podiumed a couple times in 2011, age group win @ a local tri, and I took first in an aquabike.  I consistently perform at the front of the pack in swimming, and lately my running has finally started to improve.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced, but a father of 2 great kids- ages 6 & 3. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I stuck to the sprint and Olympic distance in 2011, although I'm looking to get back to 70.3 in 2012. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did 2 13.1's (Surf City and Platte River half), USAT Aquathlon National Championship, many small Aquathlons, Denver Triathlon, Splash, Mash, and Dash in Highlands Ranch, and the Hot Chocolate 15K

2012 RACES:  Just moved to Illinois, so I'll have an entirely new schedule.  I'm going to be in Denver for the Denver Tri, but I'll also be doing the Chicago Triathlon, maybe Racine and Branson 70.3, and lots of sprints and olympics as time and $ allow!

WEIGHTLOSS: After "retiring" from swimming in college I got pretty heavy, after starting into fitness and triathlon I'm a very fit 240 lbs (6'5) clydesdale.  I'm interested in nutrition, and if I had to say one thing about food it's : "stick to the natural stuff".  I am not a big believer in supplements, although I do think there is a place for them, just not as part of an everyday diet.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my 2nd time around as a mentor- I last mentored in 2010.  I ended up making some good BT friends from my group, and we still keep in touch.  I would strongly prefer to work with new athletes, those that need help with their swimming, or those who have been on the site but never actually raced.  I'm definitely not the fastest triathlete in the world, but I'm incredibly passionate about the sport, and I would like to be able to mentor some folks to complete their initial goals in the sport!  My profile is set to "private" so when you join my group I will add you to the list of people who can read it.  I found things I was blogging about were showing up in Google and it made me a little uneasy

Edited by mcgilmartin 2011-12-29 9:50 PM

2011-12-23 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3944485

Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's Group- Open

Hi Matt,

You said you were after newbies...

Name: Catie

Story: I'm a first timer to triathlons.  I was a competitive swimmer at school, but that was now 16ish years ago, since then I have played a few social sports like netball, but nothing that actually required me to keep all that fit.  I work full time and study (Zoology) in my spare time.  I needed to find an outlet for stress and pressure.  A couple of workmates were talking about their triathlon training and I liked the sound of it.  I started swimming again about a month ago and am really enjoying it, although struggling with fitness.  I need to get going on the bike and start a walking/running programme.

Family Status: Single, no kids - just my puppy Maggie Mae (a gorgeous yet naughty Groodle).

Current Training: I have signed up with a small group of girlfriends to do a sprint tri on 5 Feb 2012, so only about 5 weeks to go!  Arrrgh!  I have been doing laps at the pool and have managed to go from puffed after 25m to puffed after 100m, so I am slowly getting there.  My bike riding isn't too bad, but I can't run to save my life.

2012 Races: So far I just have the one on the horizon in February.  I just want to survive that one and see where I go from there.  Rumour has it though that our group will be doing another sprint in March.

Weightloss: There is no other way to put it... I'm a fatty.  I am currently at around 104kg (229 pounds) (massive gulp).  I have lost about 9kg (~20 pounds) in the last 3 months and have a long way to go.  I'm trying to stick with a simple balanced diet and making small changes rather than trying to make massive changes that I know I won't stick with.  I wasn't always overweight so I figure if I was thin and athletic once before I can get there again.

I hope that you think I am a good candidate to your mentoring programme.

Catie

ps - I live in Brisbane, Australia

2011-12-23 8:44 AM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

Hi Matt,

Would love to join this mentor group if you'd think I'm an appropriate fit!

Name:  Robin

Story:  40yo married mom with an 8yo son.  Work full time as a nurse on a busy hospital orthopaedic unit (recent career change---was in the military as a finance officer prior to becoming a mom).  After a few years of inactivity and weight gain, fell in love with running after signing up for a 5K at my kid's school two years ago.  Slowly started adding mileage and races into my lifestyle.  Completed some small races and then two half-marathons and, most recently, the Marine Corps Marathon in 2011.  Recently started reading "You Are An Ironman" and am really feeling the urge to explore this triathlon thing.  While I'll never be a fast runner, I love the challenge of a long run and am profoundly grateful for the changes that running has brought to my life, including weight loss and overall sense of well-being.  I swam competitively in high school/college and am optimistic that, with some practice, the swimming will come back to me, though I suspect that open water swims are very different from the controlled environment of a pool.  My paralyzing fear is the bike.  Though I have a new one sitting in the garage (birthday present from husband), I have yet to get on it.  Still traumatized from a bike accident when I was ten when I flipped over the handlebars and rode down a hill on my face, knocking out my front teeth---haven't been on a bike since.  I'm just not sure where to begin as a complete triathlon rookie, though I just joined the YMCA so that I would have winter access to a pool, a treadmill, and a stationery bike.  I'm signed up for some running races in 2012 including The Rock-n-Roll half marathon in DC in March and the Cherry Blossom 10miler in DC in April.  Would also really like to get a spot in the Chicago Marathon this year---if not, I'd like to repeat the Marine Corps Marathon.  My best friend is encouraging me to join her for a sprint tri in Delaware in June as my tri debut.  I'm very grateful for any guidance and support this mentor group can provide.  My goal is to be more disciplined with training in 2012 and to find creative ways to squeeze consistent training into my busy family/work schedule without sacrificing my sanity or my responsibilities.

2011-12-23 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3951038

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Catie,

You're in- just promise me you'll make your best effort to stick with this at least through March.  Given that it's summertime in Australia I think your timing is perfect!

Matt

catiek - 2011-12-23 5:23 AM

Hi Matt,

You said you were after newbies...

Name: Catie

Story: I'm a first timer to triathlons.  I was a competitive swimmer at school, but that was now 16ish years ago, since then I have played a few social sports like netball, but nothing that actually required me to keep all that fit.  I work full time and study (Zoology) in my spare time.  I needed to find an outlet for stress and pressure.  A couple of workmates were talking about their triathlon training and I liked the sound of it.  I started swimming again about a month ago and am really enjoying it, although struggling with fitness.  I need to get going on the bike and start a walking/running programme.

Family Status: Single, no kids - just my puppy Maggie Mae (a gorgeous yet naughty Groodle).

Current Training: I have signed up with a small group of girlfriends to do a sprint tri on 5 Feb 2012, so only about 5 weeks to go!  Arrrgh!  I have been doing laps at the pool and have managed to go from puffed after 25m to puffed after 100m, so I am slowly getting there.  My bike riding isn't too bad, but I can't run to save my life.

2012 Races: So far I just have the one on the horizon in February.  I just want to survive that one and see where I go from there.  Rumour has it though that our group will be doing another sprint in March.

Weightloss: There is no other way to put it... I'm a fatty.  I am currently at around 104kg (229 pounds) (massive gulp).  I have lost about 9kg (~20 pounds) in the last 3 months and have a long way to go.  I'm trying to stick with a simple balanced diet and making small changes rather than trying to make massive changes that I know I won't stick with.  I wasn't always overweight so I figure if I was thin and athletic once before I can get there again.

I hope that you think I am a good candidate to your mentoring programme.

Catie

ps - I live in Brisbane, Australia

2011-12-23 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3951213

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Robin-

Yes!  You are in.  I'll PM you.  I definitely think I can help you reach your goals.  I'm going to run Chicago too, so we might meet up too!

RobinRN - 2011-12-23 7:44 AM

Hi Matt,

Would love to join this mentor group if you'd think I'm an appropriate fit!

Name:  Robin

Story:  40yo married mom with an 8yo son.  Work full time as a nurse on a busy hospital orthopaedic unit (recent career change---was in the military as a finance officer prior to becoming a mom).  After a few years of inactivity and weight gain, fell in love with running after signing up for a 5K at my kid's school two years ago.  Slowly started adding mileage and races into my lifestyle.  Completed some small races and then two half-marathons and, most recently, the Marine Corps Marathon in 2011.  Recently started reading "You Are An Ironman" and am really feeling the urge to explore this triathlon thing.  While I'll never be a fast runner, I love the challenge of a long run and am profoundly grateful for the changes that running has brought to my life, including weight loss and overall sense of well-being.  I swam competitively in high school/college and am optimistic that, with some practice, the swimming will come back to me, though I suspect that open water swims are very different from the controlled environment of a pool.  My paralyzing fear is the bike.  Though I have a new one sitting in the garage (birthday present from husband), I have yet to get on it.  Still traumatized from a bike accident when I was ten when I flipped over the handlebars and rode down a hill on my face, knocking out my front teeth---haven't been on a bike since.  I'm just not sure where to begin as a complete triathlon rookie, though I just joined the YMCA so that I would have winter access to a pool, a treadmill, and a stationery bike.  I'm signed up for some running races in 2012 including The Rock-n-Roll half marathon in DC in March and the Cherry Blossom 10miler in DC in April.  Would also really like to get a spot in the Chicago Marathon this year---if not, I'd like to repeat the Marine Corps Marathon.  My best friend is encouraging me to join her for a sprint tri in Delaware in June as my tri debut.  I'm very grateful for any guidance and support this mentor group can provide.  My goal is to be more disciplined with training in 2012 and to find creative ways to squeeze consistent training into my busy family/work schedule without sacrificing my sanity or my responsibilities.

2011-12-23 7:32 PM

User image

You asked for new triathletes, and here I am! I would love to join your group and utilize your swimming background, because I have no background in swimming other than taking lessons when I was 5. I ran in high school, but took about 8 years off. This last year my wife wanted to complete Couch to 5k, and my running career started again. I decided while running in 105 degree heat in July that I needed something other than running during the summer! I'd love to join a group for new athletes, especially since you have a strong swim background.If I make the cut I'll fill outa full bio, I'm on an iPad right now.

2011-12-23 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3952007

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
PM me your bio.  I'd like to help you out~ I'll save you a spot.
2011-12-24 3:45 AM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
Taking the plunge and signing up today for my first sprint tri-----The TriRock Annapolis on May 12.  Now this is starting to feel real!  Feels good to have an actual goal on the horizon.  Hope this will be a good option for my virgin tri experience.  Starting to see that this is not a cheap sport!
2011-12-24 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
Winder, GA

Would like In if still open.

Name: sbnut32/Chris

Story: Earlier this year I saw some people compete in a tri and was impressed that even tho some looked like tubs of glue they had done something I had never thought of. I started researching and being a total slob I would start doing something with myself. I started well enough, losing some weight and excersising somewhat daily. Then the wheels fell off. I could never manage my time, diet, etc properly being married with 3 kids and full time job. Then I got sick with a case of myocartitis caused due to malnutrition. Which I will inform you makes you think you are having a heart attack. Got a clean bill of health but all my momentum was lost. So back looking to start fresh in 2012 and complete my first tri.

Family: 36yo Male, Married, 3 Kids...6,8,9

Current Training: lol. Been biking a tad, running few days a week. Will start updating logs after holidays. Was too ashamed to put anything in.

This Years Races: Did a 5k for the first time ever. Was alot of fun. Had plans for a few races, but meh.

2012 Races: Gonna start with a trail race in Feb.. Rest has yet to be planned. Sprint for sure. Few run races.

Weightloss: Maintaining at 220-225lbs. Was at 238lbs before summer and 257lbs in March. Iam 6'3" so cant imagine dropping below 215lbs. 220lbs is prolly my comfort weight.

Mentor Reasons: Obvious stated above, I lost all motivation and when I had what should have been a temporary setback I used it as an excuse to basically quit. I have every desire to do this. Iam just lazy by nature. Funny, because when I was getting in shape I felt so good. Knees felt great, etc.

2011-12-24 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3952221

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

RobinRN - 2011-12-24 2:45 AM Taking the plunge and signing up today for my first sprint tri-----The TriRock Annapolis on May 12.  Now this is starting to feel real!  Feels good to have an actual goal on the horizon.  Hope this will be a good option for my virgin tri experience.  Starting to see that this is not a cheap sport!

Yes, this sport is not for the weak of wallet.  I think the most important lesson I can offer about registering for races is to not register too far in advance for too many races.  My first year I did my first race in June and got hooked.  I went home and registered for 7 more(!) races over the course of the summer, and only did 5. The preparation started to take the "high" off that first race feeling- training all the time to support my poor decision making. It caused a lot of anxiety for me and definitely affected my training, which led to injury, which led to missed races.  

Moral of the story here- this sport is for fun.  Don't turn it into a job by trying to tackle tons of races, an Ironman, or a ridiculously high goal.  You'll be happy to finish that first race and you're going to learn a lot in the preparation and execution!  I've got May 12th on my calendar, Robin.  Let's talk training plan next!

M

2011-12-24 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3952863

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
sbnut32 - 2011-12-24 5:48 PM

Would like In if still open.

Name: sbnut32/Chris

Story: Earlier this year I saw some people compete in a tri and was impressed that even tho some looked like tubs of glue they had done something I had never thought of. I started researching and being a total slob I would start doing something with myself. I started well enough, losing some weight and excersising somewhat daily. Then the wheels fell off. I could never manage my time, diet, etc properly being married with 3 kids and full time job. Then I got sick with a case of myocartitis caused due to malnutrition. Which I will inform you makes you think you are having a heart attack. Got a clean bill of health but all my momentum was lost. So back looking to start fresh in 2012 and complete my first tri.

Family: 36yo Male, Married, 3 Kids...6,8,9

Current Training: lol. Been biking a tad, running few days a week. Will start updating logs after holidays. Was too ashamed to put anything in.

This Years Races: Did a 5k for the first time ever. Was alot of fun. Had plans for a few races, but meh.

2012 Races: Gonna start with a trail race in Feb.. Rest has yet to be planned. Sprint for sure. Few run races.

Weightloss: Maintaining at 220-225lbs. Was at 238lbs before summer and 257lbs in March. Iam 6'3" so cant imagine dropping below 215lbs. 220lbs is prolly my comfort weight.

Mentor Reasons: Obvious stated above, I lost all motivation and when I had what should have been a temporary setback I used it as an excuse to basically quit. I have every desire to do this. Iam just lazy by nature. Funny, because when I was getting in shape I felt so good. Knees felt great, etc.

Chris- you're perfect, you're in!  Looking forward to a fun winter session!  Feel free to PM me any personal information you might want me to know.

2011-12-24 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I'd also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas tonight!  May Santa bring us all new running shoes, goggles, and Garmins
2011-12-25 5:18 PM

User image

NAME: GatorRunner/Aaron

STORY: I was a runner back in high school, logging 50 and 60 mile weeks.  FOP for high school cross country, but not scholarship level.  My running stopped when I was in college, I was busy with school and working, but stayed moderately active playing recreational sports.  My wife and I got married after graduation and realized we had both managed to gain 25-30 lbs in 4 years.  We started eating better and lost some weight.  March 2011, my wife heard about this program called Couch 2 5k through a co-workered and decided we should run some to get those last few pounds off.  I instantly fell in love with running again, and we are currently training for our first 1/2 marathon in March.  While running in June and July with 95-100 degree heat I decided we needed to do something different next year.  That's when the idea of triathlon hit me.  We've bought bikes for Christmas and are member of the local Y.  We are all set for our triathlon training come the new year!  

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids yet.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for a half marathon in March.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did a number of 5ks and one 10k.  With a podium in a small 5k.

2012 RACES:  1/2 marathon in March and October.  Marathon in December, and (crosses fingers) Goofy's Race and a Half in Jan. 2013.  Looking at the Trigator Super Sprint in April, and local sprint tri's in June and August.

2011-12-25 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
Santa brought a bike trainer and even filled my stocking with a flavorful assortment of GU----what a guy!  Hope everyone had a great holiday/weekend.
2011-12-25 9:20 PM

User image

Round Rock

Name: Bryan Walker

Live in Round Rock, Texas;

First time at doing triathlons - wanted to do it after college, but could not find the time and did not believe in myself. Currently I am a registered nurse and manage a hospice team. I turn 50 this next June and decided that I wanted to do a triathlon to celebrate the end of my 5th decade. Did some 5k and 10k's in college. Have not competed in any races in 20+ years. Looking to change my lifestyle and be more active and drop some weight.

2011-12-26 4:00 AM

Robin, Santa was great to me as well.  I got a new pair of sneakers, a new bag to carry all my gear in and a towel.  Hope everyone had great Christmas and Boxing days.  Back into training tomorrow.

2011-12-26 7:23 AM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
So I'm trying to figure out a 2012 training plan.  Is it worth it to upgrade the BT membership to bronze/silver/gold to have access to their training resources? 
2011-12-26 9:57 AM

User image

New user

Name: cahoinowski/chris hoinowski

Story: i live in wilmington, delaware with my wife of two years and i am a dad of two great boys aged 8 and 7.  i was a swimmer as a kid, played high school football, wrestling and ice hockey.  i want to do a sprint tri on fathers day.  i am way over my h.s. weight and would like to get in shape for a tri and shed some weight.  i would like to become a better runner.  thats my weak link.

i am a nurse and have a degree in exercise science as well.  it is a shame for me to be in this shape with my knowledge base.  i need to set a better example for my kids, family and patients.

my goal is three sprints in 2012!

2011-12-26 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

So nice to have other kindred nurses in our group, Chris and Bryan!  Chris---is the tri that you're doing the one at St. Andrew's?  My best friend (who is a P.T.) lives in Wilmington and always does the St. Andrew's sprint with her husband on Father's Day---she's trying to convince me to join her this year.  It looks like a great race---especially the fact that it's a lake swim.

Robin

2011-12-26 12:44 PM

User image

Newbie here if ever there was one!

Name: mmez/Mariah P.

Story: New to tri's. Did one multi-sport event in September (a 500 swim followed by a 5k run). I finished dead last out of 9 competitors (ironically though, every participant finished 1st in their respective age group!). I have never actually podiumed, but continue to participate. May never be anything more than a BOP athlete, but at least I'm out there, right?

Family: I am married to a former Marine who is now a stay at home dad. We have been married for almost 15 years and have 2 children - a 9 year old boy who has been running 5k races since he was 3 (also just completed his first half marathon), and a 7 year old girl who has also been running 5k's since she was 4 and has also done one tri and a multi-sport event (250 swim and a 2 mile run). My husband is also wanting to do a tri or two this year as well.

Current training: I'm active duty military and have been running (not seriously and certainly not consistently) for about 6 years when we started running with (chaperoning) our children on their runs. I learned how to swim in July and have been swimming with a Masters group 3-4 times a week. I bought a road bike a little over a month ago and have it set up on a trainer in our front room. We just joined a gym and I have been participating in a "Winter Gains" spin class once a week with a former Redman Ironman winner.

2011 races: I ran in several 5k races this past year, but they were all at my daughters pace. I think her fastest was about 39 minutes or so. I also did the one swim/run event in which I finished last.

2012 calendar: nothing on the schedule yet, although I would like to get in a sprint and maybe an oly in. I think my husband also plans on us doing a couple more of the 500 swim/5k run events starting in April. I'll be moving to Germany in June so I'm not sure what opportunities I'll have out there!

Looking forward to getting started if I am accepted and hope everyone has a great New Year!

Edited by mmez 2011-12-26 1:04 PM
2011-12-26 4:28 PM

User image

Regular
WI

Greetings Matt.  I've been a long time lurker, but would love to be a part of your group. 

Name:  phyre_cyclone (Christian)

My Story:  I'm probably one of the younger members (29, will turn 30 in January).  I was active and athletic in my younger years and throughout grade school - swimming, tennis, track, recreational biking.  When I got to high school I succumbed to peer pressure and started smoking.  Smoked for nearly 12 years until I started dating the woman that would eventually be my wife.  It was then I decided to take on a healthier lifestyle.  I got into cycling and a couple of years later joined a gym.  It just so happened that the trainer I started working with was involved in triathlon and got me hooked.  2011 was my first season and I'm looking forward to an improved 2012.

Family:  Married, no kids

Current training:  Was at 6 days/week before I got sick.  Had a couple rounds of respiratory issues, but am slowly improving.  Plan on getting back into my workout cycle - about 8 per week until it starts to get warmer outside.

2011 Races:  3 sprints - 1 of which turned into a duathlon - a handful of 5K's and a half marathon.  All races in the state of Iowa.  (Never took the time to update my race logs)

2012 Races:  Haven't done my race planning yet, but would like to do a few Olympic distance races this year and train up to a full marathon towards the fall. 

Weight loss:  Right now I'm in weight loss mode.  I'm 5'9" and about 180 lbs.  My goal weight is to be between 160-165.  I just started the Paleo Diet a few weeks ago and have been working myself in to it.  Will be easier since the holidays are behind us. 

Goals for 2012:  Go sub 1:20 in a sprint, complete an Olympic distance race, complete full marathon

Hope I am a good candidate for your group.  Thank you for your consideration. 

2011-12-26 6:56 PM

User image

San Jose

Hey Matt,

I'll be turning the big FOUR OH in 2012 and wanted to get a few things off the bucket list.  

Family:  Married with two boys ages 15 and 20.  Both have an under 5 minute mile time.

Training:  As for me I have been running mostly with some biking.  I have about an 8 minute pace for 6 miles.  I just purchased a Cervelo P2 (just waiting on delivery) and can't wait to start training more.  I also just received a gift certificate for two years at 24hr fitness.  This is where I plan to get most of my swims in.

2011: MuddyBuddy, Warriordash, Day After Thanksgiving 10k

2012:  I have already signed up for a duathlon, 3 sprint tri's and a marathon.  So there's no turning back. 

Why I'd like you to be my mentor: I like that you have a strong swimming background since I believe that will be a weakness for me. Also I can't help note that you have actually finished on a podium before,although that wouldn't be a necessity it certainly is a strong plus. I'm hoping you can help me out. Please let me know--Thank you--Jamey Slaton from San Jose, CA.

Edited by Batabings 2011-12-26 7:09 PM
2011-12-26 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I'd like to be in this group if it's still open.

Name: stevesflyshop aka Steve Elmshaeuser.

About me: I'm 42 and married to my wonderful wife who is supportive of my new venture. We live near Sidney Nebraska. I started becoming more active in the spring of 2011 in an effort to continue my weight loss journey. I started running and did a 10k in May. I had always wanted to do a triathlon and was finally in good enough shape to try one. I did a sprint tri in July. I was hooked. I then did a couple 5ks and the Rock n Roll Denver marathon.

My 2012 goals:

Boulder half marathon with my wife

Bolder Boulder 10k in May

Seattle rock n roll marathon in June with my brother.

Ironman Boulder 70.3 August.

Other smaller tris as part of my training plan.

My weakness:I'm a novice swimmer and don't have access to an indoor pool. I'm running and biking but won't be able to hit a pool until February (it's being renovated). I plan to do a lot of open water swimming at Lake McConaughy as soon as the weather warms up. I also do not have anyone to train with for biking and swimming at this time. I'm really a novice at this but willing to put the time and training in. My ultimate goal is the full course Ironman (2013).

Steve

Edited by stevesflyshop 2011-12-27 9:26 AM
2011-12-26 11:22 PM

Hi Matt!

I am a newbie looking forward to making the leap into the world of triathlons. 2011 marked a turnaround year for me, i finally conquered my battle with weight loss and made strides to keep it all off. Along the way I was able to compete in one sprint tri in 2011 and became hooked. The sprint tri was fun however I know I have a ton of room for improvement and have set my sights on multiple tris in 2012 and hopefully someday a 70.3! Swimming is my weakest aspect and I am hoping to be able to join your group to gather tips and tricks to help me improve.

Family: Married, father of 2: 6 year old boy, 3 year old girl (Same ages as yours, fun times!)

Current training: Riding and Running!

2011 Races: 2 13.1's, Tough Mudder, various 10k's, 1 sprint tri, 1 duathlon, a few 'fun' mud runs

2012 Races signed up for so far: 1 26.2, 1 13.1, Duathlon, 3 sprint tris, 1 long course tri, will add more to the calendar soon.

2011-12-27 8:47 AM

User image

I haven't heard from Matt as to whether or not I've been added to this group, but in the meantime, I'm curious as to what everyone has on their training schedule for today. I'll be walking around Six Flags all day followed by a spin class at my local tri shop. It's a cool class - you bring your bike and trainer and we move all the merchandise out of the way and set up in the middle of the store for the class! The biggest class has been 7 with the smallest class being 3 of us! As a new cyclist, it's nice to be able to have a small class. The instructor was a Redman Ironman winner and has really done a great job of explaining things to me so that once I get out on the road, I'll be more comfortable with shifting and whatnot. It's funny, though, because if he doesn't think you're working hard enough he'll walk over to you and adjust the tension on your back wheel or change your gears. It's only been a month, but I feel stronger already ( not hard considering it's my first road bike)! Hope everyone has their best training day ever!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- CLOSED~ we're swimming! Rss Feed  

of 37