Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-12-19 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

NAME: Tri/tbay-Roy

STORY: I got into triathlon in 2007 as a means of helping my daughter transition from an age group swimmer into the sport of triathlon.I am a(scratch) lifelong golfer, who didn't intend to get into the sport entirely, but the bug got me and I have very much enjoyed the training, lifestyle and competition. I have competed in all distances up to 70.3, most recently my 4th 70.3 in Miami. Which was done with my daughter, great family experience. The full ironman (which hopefully will be done with my daughter someday) is next on the list. And I have run a couple of marathons, Jacksonville Bank 09-10. Not much golf getting played these days.

FAMILY STATUS: Married going on 30 years, 2 daughters(one just out of college, one still in who competes)

CURRENT TRAINING: The 2011 season closed following Miami 70.3, and then a local 10K that I set a best time in. Just doing some maintenace workouts  to finish out 2011.

2011 RACES: I had 2 "A" races this season, St. Anthony's in the spring, and Miami 70.3 in the fall. Raced several local sprint and olympic distance events in preparation for those races.

2012: The  upcoming year will not be to different than last year, I am the typical time crunched  triathlete, 2 sprints in advance of St. Anthony's, I am planning on Miami 70.3 again this year. I'll do a few sprints over the summer and then prepare for the half. I am also planning on running the Gasparilla 1/2 marathon and maybe one more half over the winter.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have been fortunate in my life that this is an area I've not had to work at much. I try to maintain sound  fitness year round, and try to not let my weight fluctuate to much during the year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my 4th time participating in the mentor program. I have enjoyed each experience. I try to take a very realistic approach in helping the new triathlete get to the start line with confidence that they will achieve their goal. Each group has been different in their experiences as an athlete, but all have had the same desires to achieve the goal of becoming a triathlete. I'll look forward to this years new group. Come aboard!!!!!!!  

Edited by tri/tbay 2012-01-03 11:29 AM

2011-12-25 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3944998

User image

Regular
Edmonds, WA
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - OPEN

Hi Roy,

I live in the Seattle area, but spend time in St Pete every winter with my husband Mike. We are retired.  In 2012 we'll be there April/May so I decided it would be fun to do the Ironman 70.3 in Haines City on May 20th.   

I did my first triathlon in 2003, started slowly only doing Sprints for a couple of seasons.  Then I bumped it up and did 3-70.3's followed by IMFL in 2009 which I am proud to say I completed in 16:16. Then in 2010 I attempted IMAZ and DNF'd after a miserable cold, windy day at mile 8 of the run at about 13 hours.  It just about destroyed my confidence.  So, I took 2011 to just ease up and train a lot more casually. I found I really missed the discipline of regular training for a goal and so here I am.... 

I am 63 years old...is there anyone out there my age doing this??  I am s-l-o-w so I end up doing most of my biking and running alone. I swim with a master's team at the moment.  I had a tri-coach for about 3 1/2 years who held me accountable and taught me an awful lot about triathlon.  Since I found this website not long ago, I have decided to go it alone for this next 70.3 and see how it goes.  Having a mentor is just what I need to keep me be held accountable and help build up my confidence again.  My ultimate goal is to do one more Ironman in 2013 when I turn 65 most probably in Florida again. My biggest fear: can I do it at my age?  I am stubborn so I will give it my all and do my best.

Let me know if you think I would fit into your group, thanks.  

Mona 

2011-12-26 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3953593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning Mona,

Welcome and glad you wrote. One of the great attributes about this sport is that all ages can participate and compete. This forum is great in helping people achieve their goals and I'll do my best to help get you to the start line. I responded to one of your posts the other day about the 70.3 in Haines City. I live in the same county. It is going to be a good race site, there has already been some press in the local paper about it, I'm sure is will be well supported.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-12-26 7:45 AM
2011-12-26 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
Edmonds, WA

Oh I am so glad to know that, thanks!  I am excited now and more focused than I have been in a long time.  I am roughly following the beginner 1/2 Iron training plan.  I was impressed with the plans on this site...I spent more money than I care to admit on a coach who basically designed a similar plan.  The upside was I got to talk to her every week, which was a great confidence boost. I just can't justify the cost anymore, though.  

Anyhow, thanks Ron...glad I picked this group.  

Have a good day!

Mona

2011-12-26 5:24 PM

User image

New user

Hello Roy,

I’m just getting started trying to drop some weight and improve my overall health.   I’ve started the couch to 5K plan already and have a target 5k in April.  Possibly moving to a 10k later in the year.  I did well with the plan a couple of years ago but then reverted to the 5K to couch plan and haven’t been off it since.  My primary focus would be running but  I also would like to get started biking. I have zero experience there.  I would be looking for input on types bike to buy and a plan to get started.  My wife is very involved in triathlons and it would be good to train with her.   I don’t really have any interest in swimming at this time, but possibly could work towards a duathlon. 

I’m 54 and not in great shape but have a desire to improve that.  To be honest, I’m not sure if I’m far enough along to be able to contribute to a mentor group or get anything out of one but thought I would ask.

Would I fit into a mentor group such as this?

Thanks,
Kerry

2011-12-26 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3953991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Yes the BT plans are well put together and very helpful. I've used them for a couple of events and felt it really helped having a plan to look at, implement and  follow to the best of my time allocation. It's hard to be 100% on every workout, but for me if I can follow at about 75%+ them I'm happy.

2011-12-26 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3954339

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hi Kerry,

And welcome to the group. You'll find once we get going you most certainly will be able to contribute to the group. Glad your going to reverse the plan to couch to 5K. And since your wife trains it will be easier for you to get out there. Duathlons are not easy, and are very challenging in there own way. Many events  have duathlons attached to them. You have identified race already, thats one of the keys to getting started.

Welcome

2011-12-27 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Roy, could I be part of your group?  I'm Kerry's wife, and am so happy that he is joining me in this journey

Mona, just wanted to encourage you that NO WAY are you too old.  Sounds like you've already proven that a few times over.

Below is the blurb on my background.  I'm coming off a sprained ankle followed by a cold/flu bug that played srooge with our family Christmas, but ready to get back at it.  Here's the blurb on my background:

NAME: squirt (Carol)

STORY:  I'm 45, and have run (slowly) off and on for the last 5 years.  Ran a number of 5K's and 10K's, and a few very undertrained half mary's over that span.  I would normally fade in the heat of the summer and have to start over again and again.  I had several injuries/issues along the way and let them deter me instead of proactively addressing them.  As a result of that and getting out of touch with "calorie reality" for a while, I packed on some unwanted pounds.  But in early 2011, I decided enough was enough.  Our pastor talked one day about not living life with the emergency brake on, and I felt like that was exactly what I had been doing with my training (or lack thereof).  I realized I was afraid to really try hard and fail, so I always stopped short of giving it my all.  I had done one tri in 2009 as sort of a dare with a friend, liked it, and decided to go "all in".  I got professional help with my recurring injury issues, joined a BT mentor group, got a lightly used road bike, and set a goal of doing 12 races in 12 months in 2011 (tri's and running).  I did it, and now I'm ready to get better at it!!  I also have the added challenge of having type 1 diabetes (the kind the little kids get), so balancing insulin, carbs and exercise is...well...neverending.  But we all have "stuff" of one kind or another, right?

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my best friend for 23 years, 5 furkids (4 dogs and 1 very tolerant cat).

CURRENT TRAINING:  I've been pretty run focused for the last couple of months, training for a few half mary's and will probably continue to be on that track through the end of February.  A recent ankle sprain led me back to the pool, and I'm signed up for some much needed swim instruction starting in January.  Need to get something going on the bike again.  My logs are updated.

2011 RACES:  This was really my first year of tri's other than one sprint back in 2009 (sort of a dare with a friend).  I did four sprints and two OLY's in 2011.  Also did two half mary's, three 10K's and one 5K.  Had big (for me) run PR's after tri training all summer and losing some weight.  

2012 RACES:  I'd like to do a 70.3 in Sept/Oct, and get better at OLY's leading up to that.  Will probably throw in a sprint or two as well.  I'm still trying to figure out which 70.3 to do, and will back into the rest of the schedule once I figure that out.  I would also like to do my first full mary, though may push that to Jan/Feb 2013. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 25 lbs in the last year and am at a weight I'm fairly content with (122 lbs - 5 ft 3 in).  I'd like to maintain that and possibly drop to 115, but am not in a big hurry about that.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I know I have a LOT to learn, especially as I try to get faster and go longer, so I'm open to any and all help!  Having participated in a mentor group in 2011 and done a few tri's already, I also hope I can help to encourage others.  Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!  You will also save my friends from me rattling on quite as much about all this.

2011-12-27 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3954929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hi Squirt(Carol) love to have you in the group. Before I opended the thread, I saw your user name and my first reaction was how could two people be using similar and want in this group. But I think its great. You had a very successful 2011, and as you continue to train and this goes for everyone there is a natural physical/cardio adaptation that will take place and you'll begin to train at the paces that you were racing at. It's very exciting. On a side note, my wife is from Ft. Worth we move to Fl. 18 yrs. ago from Houston and I still miss Pappasitos restuarants bad.

Welcome aboard, this will be fun. And I agree with Squirt,  Mona you have already shown determination in your previous experiences we'll just work on getting back that confidence and have another go.

2011-12-27 10:16 PM

Palmetto/Parish, FL

Good evening all!

I would love to be a part of this group.  Roy I am over in Palmetto,fl (closer to Parish).  I have a goal set to race St.Anthonys for my first Tri now that they changed the swim.  I was a spectator last year and want to be a finisher this year.  

I started running a couple of years ago and did the Gasparilla 5k in 2009 &10.  My biggest road block is myself and consistency of training.  I am recently married (Aug 2011) and we are hoping to have a little triathlete of our own by the end of 2012 or the next year.  

2011-12-28 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3956793

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Welcome lopradrino 79 glad to have you in the group. St. Anthony's is a great time, definitely a good move in changing the swim location. The spring winds just plays to much havic in the Bay for the old location.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-12-28 6:35 AM

2011-12-28 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Edmonds, WA

Roy,

I didn't realize they changed the swim for St Anthony's..where is it now? I did St A's twice: the first time they cancelled the swim, the second time they changed the location so the transition was quite a run. I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle especially since the swim is my best discipline.  I'll be there at that time, and as I understand it, I can probably get in last minute.  Maybe I'll give it another go this year. I only did one Oly all of 2011 so I definitely need the experience getting back into competing again.

Squirt: impressed with your story!  I lost a bunch of weight training for triathlon, but it's always a struggle for me to maintain. 

Mona

2011-12-28 11:01 AM

User image

New user

Good afternoon Roy,

I'm looking at bikes and my wife found the below one on Craigslist.  She's been looking a while and hasn't seen many that would fit me since I'm 6'5".  I'm looking for a good starter bike since I have no real experience with a road bike. I have a mountain bike but from what I understand, there's a world of difference between the two types.

They are asking $650 for the bike.  I've been told the components on this one are not the best.  My wife has a Contessa with higher end components and likes it.  I don't know if I could tell any difference at my level between the types of components.  Everything I've read on line indicates the bike is a good starter bike, which is what I'm after.

Like you, I'm a golfer but certainly not a scratch golfer.  I look at this and think why would I give a Scotty Cameron putter to a 20+ handicapper?  They probably wouldn't gain anything from it.  I suspect the same is true with bike components. Sound reasonable?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kerry

2010 Scott Speedster S40 Road Bike, Size XXL 61 cm.

Bike has been rode approx 130 miles.

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material 7005 Hydroformed Alloy
Fork Brand & Model Scott Speedster
Fork Material Carbon/Alloy Steerer

Components
Brakeset Scott Pro SCBR-520 brakes, Shimano Sora levers
Shift Levers Shimano Sora ST-3400 Dual Control STI
Front Derailleur Shimano FD-2300, braze-on
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra RD-4500
Crankset Truvativ ISO Flow C 2.1, 34/50 teeth
Bottom Bracket TruVativ 07BB, 108mm spindle
BB Shell Width 68mm
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 26 teeth
Chain Shimano CN-HG53
Seatpost Scott Alloy, 31.6mm diameter
Saddle Scott Road Team
Handlebar Scott Road Drop Anatomic
Handlebar Stem Scott Road Team OS
Headset 1 1/8" integrated Steel Cup

Wheels
Hubs Scott Comp
Rims Alex Race 28, 20-hole/24-hole
Tires 700 x 23c Continental Ultra Sport
Spoke Brand 14ga. (2.0mm) straight gauge
Spoke Nipples Unspecified

2011-12-28 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3957166

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
ironmangranny - 2011-12-28 9:31 AM

Roy,

I didn't realize they changed the swim for St Anthony's..where is it now? I did St A's twice: the first time they cancelled the swim, the second time they changed the location so the transition was quite a run. I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle especially since the swim is my best discipline.  I'll be there at that time, and as I understand it, I can probably get in last minute.  Maybe I'll give it another go this year. I only did one Oly all of 2011 so I definitely need the experience getting back into competing again.

Squirt: impressed with your story!  I lost a bunch of weight training for triathlon, but it's always a struggle for me to maintain. 

Mona

Mona from your description it sounds like the swim is where you have done it previously. Last year rough water once again was a problem, but they had plan B ready to go which was to move the swim North up the shore line a ways. It was a nice little run to get to transition but it is a much easier swim for the masses. Last year it was 1000M, I've heard this year we'll exit at the original site up the stairs and 1500M. No confirmatin on that, but it is a more predictable swim and not affected by the east winds that blow that time of year here. You should look into it if your going to be there anyway. No other changes that I'm aware of.

2011-12-28 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3957630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
squirts husband - 2011-12-28 12:01 PM

Good afternoon Roy,

I'm looking at bikes and my wife found the below one on Craigslist.  She's been looking a while and hasn't seen many that would fit me since I'm 6'5".  I'm looking for a good starter bike since I have no real experience with a road bike. I have a mountain bike but from what I understand, there's a world of difference between the two types.

They are asking $650 for the bike.  I've been told the components on this one are not the best.  My wife has a Contessa with higher end components and likes it.  I don't know if I could tell any difference at my level between the types of components.  Everything I've read on line indicates the bike is a good starter bike, which is what I'm after.

Like you, I'm a golfer but certainly not a scratch golfer.  I look at this and think why would I give a Scotty Cameron putter to a 20+ handicapper?  They probably wouldn't gain anything from it.  I suspect the same is true with bike components. Sound reasonable?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kerry

2010 Scott Speedster S40 Road Bike, Size XXL 61 cm.

Bike has been rode approx 130 miles.

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material 7005 Hydroformed Alloy
Fork Brand & Model Scott Speedster
Fork Material Carbon/Alloy Steerer

Components
Brakeset Scott Pro SCBR-520 brakes, Shimano Sora levers
Shift Levers Shimano Sora ST-3400 Dual Control STI
Front Derailleur Shimano FD-2300, braze-on
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra RD-4500
Crankset Truvativ ISO Flow C 2.1, 34/50 teeth
Bottom Bracket TruVativ 07BB, 108mm spindle
BB Shell Width 68mm
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 26 teeth
Chain Shimano CN-HG53
Seatpost Scott Alloy, 31.6mm diameter
Saddle Scott Road Team
Handlebar Scott Road Drop Anatomic
Handlebar Stem Scott Road Team OS
Headset 1 1/8" integrated Steel Cup

Wheels
Hubs Scott Comp
Rims Alex Race 28, 20-hole/24-hole
Tires 700 x 23c Continental Ultra Sport
Spoke Brand 14ga. (2.0mm) straight gauge
Spoke Nipples Unspecified

Kerry this is more than reasonable for an entry level bike. Thats about the going rate for entry level. Nothing fancy but functional. Lower end component group, compact cranks(good) but still functional. Does it have pedals? And bike saddles are like putters you may or may not like the stock saddle. You'll soon find out in the triathlon world there a lot of 20+hdcps. riding $4000+ bikes when a $1500 would be just fine. But I get your meaning for sure.

If your comfortable with craigslist and can see the bike then I would think it will do you just fine.

2011-12-29 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning to you all, looks like everyone has some solid goals for 2012 and races already picked out. Which is awesome, I to have selected my races for the year and hope to have another solid year in triathlon. All of you have active logs which is great, I definitely recommend using it consistantly in whatever detail you choose. It will help you maintain consistancy, give you some feedback on your progress and by using the comments you can put it down just as you were feeling it. Also I recommend placing everyone into your friends section, you can use it as a quick reference and see how everyone is doing.

And to reference MACCA a Goal is a Dream with a Plan. We all have our goals and no doubt have spent some time in the thought process(the dream) and followed that up with how we intend to get there(the plan). BT is an excellent way to stay on course towards achieving the goal.

2011-12-29 7:52 AM

User image

New user

Roy,

I would like to be part of your group.  I have never played one hole of golf in my life (except for miniature golf) ---it makes me perfect for your group.

Background:  I decided I wanted to improve my ability to ski so I started roller-blading 2 years ago.  I would be sore after one trip down the slopes and have to quit for the day.  Roller-blading helped but did not get me to ski all day.  Therefore, I took up bike riding.  That provided what was needed for a full day of skiing.  At the end of ski season, I was not motivated to continue exercising.  I then decided I needed another goal.  I set my sights on doing an Ironman by the time I was 60.  I thought it would be a simple thing and would just need to get in the pool for a couple months, run a marathon, and get faster on the bike. What little did I know?  Getting in the pool was an eye-opener.  Going on a group ride was another eye opener.  I figured I needed to do a half-marathon in less than 2 ½ hours so I signed up for the Daytona half and did not come close (finishing at greater than 2:50).  So I spent more time training and did my first Sprint at Cocoa Beach in April. Naturally, during the swim I asked myself what was I doing out here.  I asked myself that question many times during the race and finished doing the run with my bike helmet on my head.  I forgot to take it off.  I was rules savvy and knew that you couldn’t leave anything during the race.  I completed 5 Sprints since then and an Olympic at Key West in December.  I also complete two half-marathons and a 5K during the year.

2012 Goals: I have pretty much scheduled an activity for every month of the year starting with the Ocala half-marathon in January.  Ocala HITS Olympic in March followed by sprints over the summer-with the Space Coast Trifecta series and Crystal River series.  I will also do RAGBRAI (if selected) at the end of July.  My biggest goal is to complete 70.3 near the end of the year (probably Miami in November).  I will miss my goal of completing an Ironman by the age of 60 but willing to try for by the time I am 61.

Training:  I am currently following the beginner Olympic plan with some adjustments.  Swim Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Run Tuesday and Thursday.  Group bike ride on Saturday
for around 30 miles.  I also bike two or three times during the week around 20-25 miles each and run for 30 minutes for additional exercise.  I travel sometimes and miss the swimming and biking.

This week is the first week back to my training.  I uploaded my current week to the training log.  I have been taking it easy this month after TRIKW and mohs surgery on the 8th.

Bill

2011-12-29 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Hi Bill(flalamb) come aboard your a perfect fit. It looks like you already have the vision of your goal for an ironman. You can do it. I'll look forward to having you in the group.
2011-12-29 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hi Bill, welcome!  I like your goal of an event every month.  I did that in 2011, and it really helped me to develop some training consistency. 

Roy, thanks for the encouragement on goals!

Yesterday Kerry & I looked at a few bikes at a couple of local/national chain bike shops.  Found one that would have been a good deal if they had the right size for him.  New 2011 (fit and light maintenance included), alum frame, carbon forks, full ultegra for $900.  Drats!  Or maybe for the best...the LBS that has been so great to me over the past yr is closed this week, so we will check in w/ them next week and see what they can do before we make any decisions on the craigslist special.

As for me, I think the cold/flu bug is finally on the way out, so back to training.  Trying to figure out how to come back from that and the sprained ankle in a "not stupid" way.  What was supposed to have been my "A" half marathon is on 1/22. Given the down/recovery time in December, it will be more of a just finish and have fun race, and then hopefully can hit the one on 2/26 a bit stronger.  I'm also signed up for "pool school" with a local triathlon coach starting 1/7....my first ever swim instruction other than you tube videos  

2011-12-29 7:57 PM

NAME: thebonmama (Bonnie)

STORY: I just had my second child in October and was interested in getting back into shape, so I decided to start doing a 5k a month...while researching 5k options online, I came across a Sprint Tri, and it seemed do-able, with some work.  Read about it, bought Slow Fat Triathlete, read some more, fell in love with the idea, joined a pool, and next thing you know, I'm signed up for one and training!  I swam competitively in high school (which was a long, long time ago), and used to love to bike, and have NEVER liked running.  So why a 5k a month, you ask?  I dunno... maybe I enjoy torture?  Actually, I like the accountability of having an event every month to prepare for (I promise to get better at that), and having all those people around and the energy and excitement of a race makes me push myself more that just trotting out there myself to run.  Then I will get competitive about beating my previous times, which will in turn promote more training.  That's the theory, anyway.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years, with a 3 year old daughter and 3 month old son.  Got a jogging stroller and my son just participated in his first 5k with me earlier this month!

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 2-3 times per week (got a little overzealous last week and resting my knees ahead of this weekend's 5k), swimming 2x a week, and trying to get my 10 year old mountain bike roadworthy.

2011 RACES: Ran a 5k in December with NO training beforehand...that's the kind of impulsive behavior my family lives with (I also refuse to make appointments to cut my hair).  Pushed my son in the stroller and came in just at 45 minutes.  Slow, unsteady and extremely winded.  Took me 4 days to walk normally.  Sad, but a start!

2012: I have at least 1 5k a month planned - the next on Jan. 1, this time with some training under my belt.  My first sprint Tri is in Gainesville, GA in June -already signed up!!  I am going to do at least 1 indoor tri in March, just to get the feel for the deal, and because it seems interesting.  Will see how I do at the first Tri, and may sign up for 1 or 2 more before year end.  Planning on running the famous Peachtree 10k on July 4.  Last time I ran that was 11 years ago (and then with no training... played a tennis tournament later that day.  You don't even want to know about the chafing that ensued).

WEIGHTLOSS: I am struggling against my highest weight in years, following my second pregnancy, and am sick and (excuse me) damn tired of carrying around this extra weight.  My body is pretty happy in the 150-155 range, but my mouth would prefer I stay around this 185 range, so I have about 35lbs to ditch.  Part of this is about losing weight, part of it is about setting a better lifestyle example for my kids, and part of it is about getting out of  the house and having some time to myself.

I hope to find a mentor and group to help keep me excited, energized and motivated when work and life and my desire for sleep get in the way of my goals. 

Bon

2011-12-30 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3961041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning Bonnie,

Glad to have you in the group and I can see you have goals already in mind. Thats is going to be our groups mission statement it looks like this time around. All who are in have goals in mind, and as a group we will work towards those goals. Do be careful in your training and doing to much to soon, injuries and recovery become a problem without base conditioning.

Welcome to the group.

I'm sure you already have a sense that your swimming form will return pretty quickly, that muscle memory that was built in is still there. And it will be your ally in this sport.

2011-12-30 7:31 AM

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey

I am sixty years old and from New Jersey. I am new to the sport but have been cycling for a few years so I thought the other disciplines wouldn't be to difficult to learn. Of course I was wrong because I am finding swimming very difficult.

I joined a local tri club and we began a winter program 4 weeks ago. The workouts are great, except for the swim. Most of the other members are good swimmers so training is more directed to them. I can't swim more than 75m without becoming exhausted.

The other issue is that all the members are younger than my children and I need some advice from the older community because I think we may have some different issues.

Anyway, looking forward to getting started.

Harold Todman

2011-12-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3961545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello Harold,

Good to have you in the group. We'll see what we can do to get you further along in your swimming. But most importantly doing it with confidence at whatever level is achieved. And yes invariably the workouts and attention are more geared for the better swimmer/athlete. But don't lose hope.

2011-12-30 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3953593

My Name is kevin Manley I am currently interested in doing a Half Ironman triathlon. I was looking for a mentor to help with the training. I have comleted two full marathons and have been running and training for my third full marathon in april. I also recentlt begn biking and really enjoy that as well. I will begin working on my swimming Jan. ^th. I have enlisted the hep of a swim coach. I am looking to complete the mooseman 70.3 in New Hampdhire. I am from Massachusetts, married for 16 years and have two beautiful girls, one 11 and tha otehr 5. I look forward to heraing from you.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

2011-12-30 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3961761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Afternoon manleyk5173(Kevin) glad to have you along. You have a goal race to get to, so we'll work towards putting you on that start line. The swim coach you are using is a local age group coach? Hopefully he/she has done some work with triathletes, for the need of most triathletes is a little different than the age group kids they are coaching. Your marathon training is going to be a great base for your HIM training, I'm familiar with Mooseman by name, what is the date?

Welcome to the group

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-12-30 11:57 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12