BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2011-12-19 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately 

USERNAME:
DirkP  Name: Dirk

STORY: I became a runner about 7-8 years ago when I got my numbers for a cholesterol screening and I knew my weight was too high.  I wasn't a huge man, more like 25 pounds overweight and, what I always tell people, "I couldn't carry a basket of laundry up the stairs without getting winded.  I began training on a treadmill and later ran my first 5k race at 24:50-ish and 3rd in my age group (small race).  I slowly accelerated to longer distances and got sucked into a half marathon and was immediately in love with that distance.  Then poor training took over and I re-injured a knee surgery and it caused me to look for some cross training.  My PT suggested that I swim and ride a bike and viola......triathlon.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married to a wonderful and understanding wife of 24 years.  We have 2 gorgeous daughters (16 and 18), who MOST DEFINITELY take after their mother.

Job: I am a Line Crew Supervisor with a very large power company so my hours can get kind of ridiculous during the storm seasons and when drunks seem to knock poles over.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am a very aggressive person when it comes to my training.  I train in the neighborhood of 8-10 hours a week throughout the year and take little time off in the winter.  I try to take advantage of the off season to pick up gains as much as possible.

I am currently having a bike focus over the winter but I will not allow my run to suffer as this is what I enjoy the most and excel at the most as well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have competed in a number of races from 5k's to marathons in the area of running.  Most notably I ran 2 marathons 3 weeks apart to attempt to Boston Qualify.  (A long story but I missed Boston by 20 seconds the first race and made it by 7 seconds at the second one.)  I also PR'd at the half marathon distance with a time of 1:33:20, placing 6th/200 in my age group.

I completed in 3 triathlons this season: 2 sprints and 1 Olympic.  I placed 4th/45 in my age group and 28th/578 overall in the first, and it was this race that I qualified for age group nationals.  The second race was a smaller race but I placed 1st/7 in my AG and 5/128 overall.  The last triathlon (Oly) I placed 10th/63 and 49/505 overall.

I was very pleased with this, my second year, in racing triathlon.

2012 RACES: I have a couple of the same races in mind for next season but I will be testing my abilities at a Half Ironman in latter part of the season.  I am not sure which one just yet.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am at a decent weight for racing but I would like to cut about 5 lbs prior to next season.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been involved in competitive athletics for several years and I have learned the hard way that training needs to be done smart.  I have sustained injuries that have caused surgical repairs and I have been able to bounce back and get back on track.

I am kind of an animal when it comes to personal training.  I have a very strong personal work ethic and I use it both at home, at work and in the sport of triathlon.  My wife calls me an "asphalt junkie" and I try to live up to the standard that she has placed before me.  However, balancing life and, most importantly, family sometimes can be a struggle and this is where I hope to be able to provide the most benefit.  I believe everyone can balance family with training, but it must be done smart and goals need to be established and modified according to those standards.

If there are any questions about me you may check my logs as they are public.

Who's in?

Edited by DirkP 2012-01-15 6:38 PM

2011-12-20 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3945020

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Dirk's Junkie group

NAME: Jonathan

STORY:
 Grew up recreationally cycling/mountain biking through highschool.  Decided that I would try out a different sport and rowed in college.  Finally got out of a horrible relationship in 2008 and was able to actually do what I wanted with my life starting in 2009, so I figured triathlon was a great idea...

FAMILY STATUS:
 Engaged to a wonderful fiance.  We are getting married September 22nd.  I'm not anxious at all...

JOB:  I'm a structural enginerd.  I help modernize the nuclear submarines for the Navy in the Northeast.  It's not as crazy as it sounds.

CURRENT TRAINING: 
I'm doing Jorge's Winter Cycling Program V 4.0.  I've also taken up cross fit/kettle bell in the last two weeks.  I've finally been running consistently with no injuries for the first time in my life.  I'm super running injury prone.  I've been at it since September.  So far so good.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 Last year I had a sort of truncated season.  I ended up with about 5 races because of work, injury etc.

2012 RACES:
 All short course/olympic stuff this year. Same as last year, and the damn wedding budget doesn't allow anything else.  You'll hear me complain about that a lot!

WEIGHTLOSS:
  I'm pretty happy with my current weight.  I will try to race around 182-183, but that's not really a goal.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: This is a direct copy and paste from a previous group.  I'm an over-active member.  I love to help others and need a lot of questions answered for myself as well.  I am a horrible runner.  For some reason God didn't gift me with the talent, so I am doing my best to drop some time while running healthy.  I have built a couple bikes and have some tech experience.  I'm the kind of person who likes to motivate, but also needs a bit of motivation.  I get discouraged when my performance doesn't increase like I expect.

I'm a pretty good cyclist and one of my goals for 2012 is to get fast.  I know it doesn't come over night, but I am looking forward to some results.

I'm a relatively good swimmer.  I started swimming back in 2009 and was able to pick that piece up relatively well.  I logged a ton of hours in the pool over the last couple years and am obsessed with swim technique and analyzing swim video.  I haven't been in the pool since August though, so I need to get back at it!!

2011-12-26 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Dirk's Junkie group - OPEN AND READY TO ROLL
I'm ready to get this group going as soon as it goes live. If anyone wants to jump in a little sooner feel free to do so. I am anxious to get started. Also to all interested this group will be a joint effort from a couple of others who are experienced athletes, both in triathlon and cycling, a couple of which have not joined as of yet.
2011-12-26 12:26 PM

User image

NH

NAME: Warren

STORY:
Team sport guy through college, mainly hockey but played football as well.  Played competitive racquetball in SD for a number of years, but after 30 did the few pounds a year thing until mid 40s.  At a yearly physical, my doc pointed out that every year was adding a few more pounds and few more points of all the bad markers, so after 15 years of that the numbers were actually quite alarming.  I immediately went into addict mode and lost 40 pounds and greatly improve all my numbers.  While rehabbing tennis elbow from hockey, the PT kept talking about the Ironman races she and her husband did, and I signed up for a sprint on a whim, despite not being able to swim and never having run in my life other than as part of a sport.  Two years later, I'm fully addicted to SBR, and a member of a loosely organized team run by the aforementioned PT.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married 17 years, 3 sons - 15, 13, 9.  My wife has been a runner her entire life and we run together on weekends.  The oldest son is my sherpa and comes to all my races.  He may even do a sprint this year, though he really loves grappling and jui jitsu.  My youngest has Down syndrome, which adds a lot of color to our family.

JOB:  I'm a software guy who has managed to Peter Principle my way to directorship level.

CURRENT TRAINING: 
I'm focusing on running this winter following the 3:2:1 plan and learning how to run more efficiently.  My goal is to PR a HM in the spring.  I'm also doing Jorge's Winter Cycling Program V 4.0, though modifying it down as required to keep up the running.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 Last year I ram a HM, a few 5ks, 2 sprints and a near OLY distance.  I battled Achilles issues all year after the HM due to some serious training mistakes.

2012 RACES:
I'm doing most for the same races as last year.  I'm also doing a HIM relay as the bike leg, and trying to decide between the Rev3 Oly or HIM in Maine.  I'm leaning toward the Oly mainly for family sanity.

WEIGHTLOSS:
  I need to get rid of about 15 pounds of baby fat.  I'm not obsessive about it anymore, but I probably should be.  I'd like to get down under 170 for the season.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm on all the time as my job allows lots of in between times to check in.  I'm not particular fast at any discipline, but I read a lot, take criticism well and love to learn, and I'll push you once I know what you can handle.

2011-12-27 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3953786

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

May I stick with you guys?

2011-12-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3955019

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2011-12-27 10:17 AM

May I stick with you guys?

Most definitely you can stick with us! I can't see busting up a good thing. Besides, everyone who chooses to jump in this group will be ahead of the curve with what this group can collectively bring to the table. With everyone already signed up with this group (including you Jeff) I think everyone can offer their own form of training advice or encouragement or both. I can't wait to get this group going in full swing.

2011-12-29 11:35 AM

User image

NH
When is this one going live?
2011-12-30 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Is official...I'm fat and lazy. Driving back home from the holidays now...looking forward to a serious cleanse.
2011-12-30 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3962339

User image

NH

jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-30 2:19 PM Is official...I'm fat and lazy. Driving back home from the holidays now...looking forward to a serious cleanse.

Haha, I'm with you Jonathan.  I've done my workouts, but eating is OUT OF CONTROL.  I can't wait until all the Christmas leftovers are gone, it's my goal for the weekend.  Then Monday it's on.

2011-12-31 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3962651

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
wbayek - 2011-12-30 5:36 PM

jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-30 2:19 PM Is official...I'm fat and lazy. Driving back home from the holidays now...looking forward to a serious cleanse.

Haha, I'm with you Jonathan.  I've done my workouts, but eating is OUT OF CONTROL.  I can't wait until all the Christmas leftovers are gone, it's my goal for the weekend.  Then Monday it's on.

It looks like we are all in the same boat.  I just got home from Ohio and I have eaten more in 1 week than I usually do in 2 weeks, well junk food that is.  I am kind of ready to get back into a little better eating habits but I first feel I MUST finish the weekend out by being more glutenous and celebrating tonight with more trash to put into my body.  But, tonight will be mostly food since I don't drink much alcohol, ever.  I have about 2 cases of beer this year.

Warren,

To answer your question, I am not sure when this thread will go live but I am still anxious to get started.  Hopefully soon!

2011-12-31 5:33 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Today is the start of raw veggies and meat with only whole grains for two weeks.  See how fast we can get rid of this extra holiday 6 lbs.

2012-01-01 9:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Well of course I am in, I still need lots of help! (straight jacket didn't work)Foot in mouth

NAME: Matt

STORY: To say I am competitive is probably an understatement.  I have always wanted to be the best at everything, unfortunately DNA kind of hampers that and I have to work extremely hard to improve.  Late in 2010 I finally got frustrated enough in Team sports (Basketball, softball) that I had to look for another outlook.  I guess I am not "team" friendly anymore, either that or I couldn't stand that the other guy didn't want to win as much as I did.  So I looked for something where the results were completely on me.  I tried golf, but was terrible and it was going to be very expensive to stay (who would pay $45 to walk around a golf course when you can pay $70 to run around a state park).  I completed my 1st tri in June of 2011 and have been completely addicted since. 

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with 3 kids.  Trust me you will hear all about them, they are my pride and joy and I love to talk them up as much as anything

JOB:   Production Manager of a Plastic compounding plant, This is where the triathlons have helped me the most.  It is amazing how much stress can be reduced by swimming/biking/running around the local parks.

CURRENT TRAINING: My current training involves the Jorge bike plan along with getting in as much running as I can.  Although the set bike plan has recently taken a back seat due to my finding the mountain bike to be a lot of fun.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 Completed 4 sprint tri's, 2 Adventure race's (Kayak instead of swim), roughly 10 5K's, a 10K and probably the one I am most proud of is the Half Marathon I completed in November.  My 1st 5K in over 17 years was in April, which is why the half stands out.

2012 RACES:
 Scheduled races: Glass city Half Marathon in April, Maumee Bay Sprint in June, and to celebrate my birthday I will complete my first Olympic Distance in July.  August: Olympic at Great buckeye Challenge.  I will also continue to improve my 5K time by doing every even in Shelby county.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not setting much of a goal here, in 2011 I lost 33lbs going from 230 down to 197.  Ultimately I wouldn't mind getting down around 180, but I am not ready to give up some of the good stuff just yet

2012 GOAL: My goal for 2012 is to learn to swim, properly.  I am to the point I dread the swim portion mostly due to having so much difficulties with it.  Last year I was able to complete lap after lap in the pool, but that did not translate to the open water.  I am going to start earlier in the year for the pool section and as soon as I wil not freeze to death I am getting in the lake! 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Even though I have a season of Tri's under my belt, I am still completely clueless on a lot of things.  I am open to trying just about anything to improve my times and always willing to admit I was wrong!  My entire goal out of this group is to pulll out as much knowledge as I possible can and maybe at some point I may even be able to give something back.

2012-01-04 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Hey Dirk,

I'm going to stop by occasionally just to harass you Laughing.  For anyone thinking about joining this group.  DO IT!  Dirk is a great cheerleader and he'll even tell you to get your A$$ in gear during a race if you get lucky!! 

2012-01-05 4:31 AM
in reply to: #3971803

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Sure Jayne you may stop by anytime, BUT!!! Don't think you are going to harass me like the guys already involved in the group!  There just a bunch of clowns trying to feel good about themselves. LOL

Really the guys already signed up are going to be as much mentors as I will be.  This is quite a group of encourager's and knowledge assimilated in this group.

Edited by DirkP 2012-01-05 4:34 AM
2012-01-05 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3971803

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jfought - 2012-01-04 9:02 PM

Hey Dirk,

I'm going to stop by occasionally just to harass you Laughing.  For anyone thinking about joining this group.  DO IT!  Dirk is a great cheerleader and he'll even tell you to get your A$$ in gear during a race if you get lucky!! 

I think that the mentor program's rule book states in section 3 paragraph 2 that "no one may stop by occasionally just to harass".  You need to join and BE harassed to earn the privilege of DOING harassing. 

Isn't that right Dirk?

2012-01-05 7:06 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
^^^  CONCUR!

2012-01-05 7:29 PM

Bellevue, NE
Are you still taking people to beat? I've rarely been on BT in the part two years since I've started my fun other's insanity. I was here tonight looking for a good base plan. I'm doing an OLY in late may because I want to have another under my belt that I'm happy with. My A-race is a HIM for this year. Found a cheap one close so already commited (late Aug). I'll fill out (if I'm accepted) the more detailed info when I'm on a computer & not my phone, siting on the floor at my oldest's bb practice.Heather
2012-01-05 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3973853

User image

NH

hmjenneman - 2012-01-05 8:29 PM Are you still taking people to beat? I've rarely been on BT in the part two years since I've started my fun other's insanity. I was here tonight looking for a good base plan. I'm doing an OLY in late may because I want to have another under my belt that I'm happy with. My A-race is a HIM for this year. Found a cheap one close so already commited (late Aug). I'll fill out (if I'm accepted) the more detailed info when I'm on a computer & not my phone, siting on the floor at my oldest's bb practice.Heather

Welcome to the insanity Heather.  We're mostly harmless.  Will that be your first half?

And Jayne, no way you are allowed to harass our mentor, we're very protective.  Unless of course you become one of us - then it's mandatory.

2012-01-05 7:50 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

I checked my bike shoe cleats.  They are right in the middle.  I will be moving them back.  I actually discussed this with a friend of mine at the indoor time trial tonight.  He had a training session with Joe Friel who also recommended the same thing.  Pretty good idea IMO...we'll see how I feel when I change them.

2012-01-05 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

I see we have moved up in the world!   Exciting!  Welcome to the new and soon to be new members of the group!

Here is the different view of Wally and I.  I do not have the aerobars installed yet so no pictures of that view, just the basic slow guy on the bike view.  The other photo is of the measurement I took, I wanted to make sure I was going off the right location.  If I understood Jeff correctly the reading I want is the 21ish number?  This correlates to 54cm, probably pretty small for my size?

Sorry for the blury images, I am having difficulties uploading to the site or at least linking to a decent size photo!

2012-01-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3973853

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

hmjenneman - 2012-01-05 8:29 PM Are you still taking people to beat? I've rarely been on BT in the part two years since I've started my fun other's insanity. I was here tonight looking for a good base plan. I'm doing an OLY in late may because I want to have another under my belt that I'm happy with. My A-race is a HIM for this year. Found a cheap one close so already commited (late Aug). I'll fill out (if I'm accepted) the more detailed info when I'm on a computer & not my phone, siting on the floor at my oldest's bb practice.Heather

You are most definitely welcome here.  When you get the chance fill out a a bio similer to those of us that have started and get ready to go.  This will be an awesome time!

2012-01-05 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3972387

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2012-01-05 9:46 AM
jfought - 2012-01-04 9:02 PM

Hey Dirk,

I think that the mentor program's rule book states in section 3 paragraph 2 that "no one may stop by occasionally just to harass".  You need to join and BE harassed to earn the privilege of DOING harassing. 

Isn't that right Dirk?

I agree with Jeff.  Jayne in order to dish out to this group you must first become a member than allow yourself to become our cannon fodder for 2 months before providing any harassing remarks, especially if they are directed toward me.  I like Warren's perspective......

wbayek - 2012-01-05 8:37 PM

And Jayne, no way you are allowed to harass our mentor, we're very protective.  Unless of course you become one of us - then it's mandatory.

Edited by DirkP 2012-01-05 9:09 PM
2012-01-05 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

With the discussion of the cleats on your cycling shoes beginning to get a little more in depth here I thought it best to bring others who might join the group something to look for this discussion.  Here is where this discussion took off..................

JeffY - 2012-01-04 1:43 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-04 12:35 PM

I would agree with that assessment Dirk. The first one is almost guaranteed to be thrown out the window.

I had a very disappointing workout yesterday.  I did the warmup, then 6 x 4 mins at 20 min power.  Based on my last test, my 20 min power would be 294.  I could not for the life of me maintain 294 for the 4 mins.  It was very frustrating and I was just angry after I finished.  My left achilles is a little tender too; I don't remember when that started, but it's lingering....And it was my birthday.  Crappy workouts on your birthday make it worse.

Have you made sure that your cleats on your cycling shoes are all the way back?  That's something everyone here needs to check.  Most shoes don't even allow your cleats to get back as far as I believe they should be.  Even as a pure cyclist you want that cleat back, but all the more for a triathlete who needs fresh calves when the run begins.

But add in all of the issues I've had over the years with calf cramps, plantar's fasciitis and achilles tendons and it's a double no-brainer.  Every one of those conditions were aggravated on my bike until I moved my cleats back.

And, with these things in mind I will be taking a look at mine tomorrow too.  On my last bike (last night) toward the ends I began to cramp in both of my calves (or in my case, COWS) and I haven't had that happen on the bike in quite a long time.  I will make an adjustment and see what happens.

Edited by DirkP 2012-01-05 9:17 PM
2012-01-05 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3973997

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
mambos - 2012-01-05 9:50 PM

I see we have moved up in the world!   Exciting!  Welcome to the new and soon to be new members of the group!

Here is the different view of Wally and I.  I do not have the aerobars installed yet so no pictures of that view, just the basic slow guy on the bike view.  The other photo is of the measurement I took, I wanted to make sure I was going off the right location.  If I understood Jeff correctly the reading I want is the 21ish number?  This correlates to 54cm, probably pretty small for my size?

Sorry for the blury images, I am having difficulties uploading to the site or at least linking to a decent size photo!

Matt you said in the last group that you had a longer torso than legs so a 54 could be alright for you.  When you are measuring up for a bike you can only use your overall height as a baseline, then you have to get a little more detailed with other measurements.  I'll leave it to Jeff to add any comments and "real" bike fitting advice because my fitting capabilities are  VERY limited.  Your true inseam will help determine where to begin the rest of the fitting process from here.

2012-01-05 9:32 PM

User image

NH

Matt, I do think your leg looks pretty bent in that shot.  I think the angle should be much flatter when extended, maybe more like 30 degrees.  Someone can get the tools to get a general reading from the picture - it's kinda hard without a clear shot so you can really pinpoint hip/knee/ankle points.  I'll try since I'm forced to be online tonight for a while for work with nothing to do but wait for a reply to a silly question - don't ask.

I checked my cleats and they are all the way back.  I think Jeff must have mentioned that before at some point since I had deja vu when I was checking them, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have put them all the way back on my own.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 68