BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-12-20 8:15 PM

Regular
Canton, MI
Subject: Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: NOW

NAME: Lamarvenoy/Bryan

STORY: I'm a 29 year old CAD Technician from Detroit, MI. I started running 4 years ago to lose some weight. Eventually I completed a half marathon and a Full marathon. Two years ago I decided I wanted to make the jump to triathlon to spice things up and push my newly in-shape body to the limits. I've been doing all sprint distance triathlons. This year will be my first season of olympics with a 70.3 distance (musselman) in July.

FAMILY STATUS: Newly married (about 4 months, and loving it).

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I'm building up my base for the upcoming season. My typical week at the moment is around 8 to 9 hours while I'm building base with approximately 3 Swim, 3 Bike and 3 Runs a week. In the summers I try to make it outside almost everyday, except for the necessary swim days.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This last year I competed in 4 local sprint distance races, my favorite being the Motor-City Triathlon on Belle Isle.

2012 RACES:  My 2012 race season looks like this:

4/14 Martian Marathon Detroit MI 

5/26 Island Lake Triathlon Brighton MI

6/17 Motor City Triathlon Olympic Distance Detroit MI

7/15 MusselMan 70.3 Geneva NY

8/12 Petoskey Tri Olympic Distance Petoskey MI

10/21 Volunteer at the detroit Free Press Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: I started my journey 4 years ago at 235lbs with the idea that I was just going to run, have fun and lose some weight. Now in total I've lost about 40lbs (depending if its on season or off season My race weight this last season was around 180. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think I'd make an awesome mentor because I love the sport of triathlon and I love helping people. I'm very enthusiastic about racing and training and I have a very strong work ethic. I'll be logging my training along with everyone else so you can see what I'm doing as well. I've spent the last two years learning and applying all of the tips, tricks and knowledge to my training and race day plans and i'm really excited to pass on everything I've learned to new triathletes. LET'S DO THIS!

Edited by lamarvenoy 2012-01-26 10:46 AM

2011-12-30 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3946995

Regular
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [OPEN]

We're live! come one, come all!

My vision for this group is to target the first time triathlete (although everyone is welcome!). I have the most experience with sprint distance triathlons where fast transitions and speed are key. Lets get this thing started.

2011-12-30 11:47 PM

Hi I would love to be involved with your Mentor Group

A bit about me - I'm probably 20 kilos overweight, and have some strange desire to try a triathalon.  I have never done one, but willing to give it a go.

I did a Bridge to Brisbane race - 5 km run a couple of years ago.

Edited by 12curious 2011-12-30 11:49 PM
2011-12-31 5:54 AM

I have always wanted to do a Triathlom but wasnt sure how to go about it. Being that this new year its all about me, im jumping in feet first! My goal is a Run and a Ttiathlon (Summer and Early Fall). About me, Im 29 badly out of shape with a burning desire to change and start something new. So if you are ready, Lets get started
2011-12-31 5:55 AM

I have always wanted to do a Triathlom but wasnt sure how to go about it. Being that this new year its all about me, im jumping in feet first! My goal is a Run and a Ttiathlon (Summer and Early Fall). About me, Im 29 badly out of shape with a burning desire to change and start something new. So if you are ready, Lets get started
2011-12-31 8:53 AM

Regular
Canton, MI

Of course you 2 are more than welcome to join! As noted in my short bio, I was out of shape when I first started running and triathlon. I started at around 240lbs at my heaviest. Now I hover around 180-190. This sport has enabled me to change my life and the way I look at exercise, nutrition and just being healthy in general.  WARNING!!!: triathlon is addictive!

It would be really helpful if everyone that joins can post a bio thats similar to the one I posted at the top of this thread. It doesn't have to be too thorough. Some things to include might be:

-Name (because hey, lets get friendly up in here)
-Occupation
-Approximate time per week to devote to training
-Personal goals (This can include weight loss and racing goals)
-Your level of proficiency in swim, bike and run (this is purely so I can better help everyone in their goals, I'm not expecting anyone to be michael phelps)
-Anything else that you would like to share.

I'm going to give it until after the first of the year to allow a couple more people to join before we really get down to business. I realize that a lot of people are preoccupied with family and vacation right now.

Once a week I'm going to post an essay covering certain topics pertaining to triathlon and fitness. I'd like everyone to post your most burning question and I'll incorporate these questions into the essays.

Lastly, please become familiar with the logs portion of this site (located at the top of the page in between the "routes and "race logs" buttons). I'll be adding everyone in the group as a friend there so you can see what I do on a weekly basis and I can peek at your activities. I've just updated my logs this morning to include all of the training i've done in the past month. Keeping your logs up to date is the best tool we have to encourage each other to stay on track. I might even get a little crazy and add my weight to the logs Embarassed (I weigh in on tuesdays normally)

phew! I might be a little long winded on these first few posts, I'm very excited to embark on this journey with everyone. I'd just like everyone to remember, this is supposed to be fun. It's going to be challenging at first but this is the greatest sport, comprised of some of the greatest people on the planet.

2011-12-31 5:48 PM

User image

Chelsea

Hi Bryan,

My name is Chris, if your group is still open I am interested in joining.  

I am a scientist working in the auto industry. I live in SE Michigan. I hope to be able to train 4 to 6 hours per week. 

I have been a casual runner most of my life. Some years more serious than others. In 1996 I ran the Detroit marathon and then settled into running half marathons. After my daughter was born, 9 years ago, life got hectic and I got more and more out of shape. About 2 years ago I was sitting on the couch with my daughter, when she patted me on the stomach and said, "Daddy you've got a fat belly." So I got off the couch and started getting back in shape. I pretty quickly realized that with my knees 15 years older and me about 30 pounds heavier I couldn't put in the running miles I used to, so I bought a cheap mountain bike and started cross training. For a couple of years I have been looking at BT and thinking I would do a triathlon if only I could swim better. This fall I finally went to a swim coach and got some instruction. I now consider myself a minimally competent swimmer and am ready to do a triathlon this summer. 

Goals for 2012. I plan to do a few sprint tri's this summer. I am targeting sprints in mid Michigan so I don't have to travel. Currently thinking about Hawk Island in Lansing for my first. After that there are a lot of interesting looking sprints in the Waterloo/Pickney rec areas. I would love to get my weight in the 180's again but will settle for anything south of 200.

Chris

2012-01-01 12:39 PM

Regular
Canton, MI
Awesome Chris. Glad to have you aboard. I'll add you to my friends in the training logs portion of the site. I'm Still waiting for a couple more people to join the group.

I'd like to have around 10 people before we start this thing officially but I don't want to wait too long. I guess I'll give it until the end of this week and go from there.

Meanwhile I'm going to start drafting the first of a series of essays which will cover the basic gear for triathlon. What you definitely need, a couple of optional items that will make your your race day and training more efficient and some items that you definitely don't need until you decided that triathlon is something that you want to invest more heavily in. Stay tuned!

Edited by lamarvenoy 2012-01-01 12:41 PM
2012-01-01 2:49 PM

Count me in.  I am a 30 year old looking to compete in my first triathlon.  I have targeted a July Xterra triathlon and need all the advice and mentoring that I can get.  My swimming skill/experience is next to nil, but I am excited to learn and get better.  I am out of shape right now; I ran a 5k a couple of weeks ago in just over 26 minutes.  I just found out that I am going to be a father and the thought of being too out of shape to play with my kid in 10-15 years is terrifying to me.....so, I am highly motivated.  I look forward to being part of this group.
2012-01-01 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
Subject: Do you have any room for a Duathlete?

Name - Erin, Married 11+yrs to Jim - 8yo twins Lance & Hailey & my running partner is Ava (a 2.5yo Viszla)

Occupation - CAD Project Technician in Ann Arbor, MI  &  Massage Therapist

Approximate time per week to devote to training -  I squeeze it in where ever I can,  before the kids wake up, lunch breaks, I try to only have a couple evening weekday workouts per week and one longer on the weekend with a rest day on the other weekend day.  I think it generally works out to about 4-5 hours a week?

Personal goals - Run a few 5K's, a Sprint Duathlon in June, a Half-Mary in the fall...Lose 50-70lbs over the next year or so.

Proficiency in swim, bike and run - I could probably swim for an hour+ in a pool, but lake swims freak me out (I'll get over it someday, but not this year, this year is about getting my base back), I haven't been on my bike in a couple years but that always comes easy, I'm always bad at running in the winter.  (I really don't like frozen lungs or the treadmill)  BUT, I usually force myself to run on a treadmill now to be OK for a race in March. 

This isn't my 1st go around at Multi-sport, but I am starting completely over at square one.  I did attempt a Sprint Triathlon in 2006, (Not so good on the swim, but rocked the bike and run portions...LOL). I've also done a Half-Marathon in 2007 with TnT, quite a few 5-10K's just not a lot recently.  Only 1 in all of 2011. Frown

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-01 9:06 PM
2012-01-02 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3965573

Regular
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: Do you have any room for a Duathlete?
Of course there's room for you. Just waiting for a couple more people to hop in the train and we'll get this thing started.

I also work in ann arbor as a CAD technician cool stuff.

2012-01-03 5:21 AM

Tecoma, Melbourne, Australia

Hiya, I am hoping it's not too late to join your group - Ive just read through everyone's bios and it sounds like I might fit in Tongue out

A bit about myself - I'm a 37 year old Aussie mum of twin almost three year old boys.  Being Summer over here it tri season as we speak so my goals are for next year.  In my 20's and I played a high level of netball (don't think you guys play it over there!) and ran a fair bit.  But since then life just got in the way, and now I am terribly (tragically even!) unfit.  I've got maybe 30 kg to lose all up (I think around 65 lbs).

A few years ago I did a mini tri and really enjoyed it and last Summer I summoned the courage to do another - I finished nearly last!  I haven't signed up to do any this Summer but next Summer I would like to do the Gatorade series here in Melbourne which consists of monthly sprint tri's from November to March, with one Olympic distance thrown into the mix.  Between now and then I have signed up for a half marathon in July and am hoping like crazy that there is enough time between now and then to get through it!

My darling hubby has promised me a new bike if I can lose 20 kg - the challenge is on!  I haven't started logging my workouts yet but in the next day or so I will get that all up and running.  I did go for my first "run" (that's fat person speak for embarrassing ridiculous shuffle intermixed with walking to dull the aches and pains!!) last night, and tonight I went for my first swim and managed to make it through 1,000 metres before stopping in fear of hyperventilating and drowning half way through a lap.  On the way out I signed up for an adult swim class which consists of weekly lessons starting in February!

Looking forward to being in a group with similar goals and passions, and to everyone else in the group - Happy New Year.  Here's to 2012 and everyone exceeding their own expectations Smile

2012-01-03 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3967468

Regular
Canton, MI

Awesome, great to have you aboard. I'm super jealous that you're actually able to get outside in some nice weather. Right now I'm dealing with the snowy winter season. It's pretty rough.

Just a couple more people and I'll close the group and we can get started.

2012-01-03 5:44 AM

Ooh I don't envy you having to deal with snow in winter - even in Winter here it's really pretty mild (feels cold to me but I am sure to someone who has to shovel snow off the driveway it's positively tropical!) RIght now we a dealing with temperatures in the high 30's (around 100 - I'm gonna get so good at conversions!) so it's pretty hot.  I look forward to being part of your group - and many thanks for giving up your time to do this.  It really is a fantastic thing you are doing.  Smile
2012-01-03 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3967468

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
ShampyV - 2012-01-03 6:21 AM

Hiya, I am hoping it's not too late to join your group - Ive just read through everyone's bios and it sounds like I might fit in Tongue out

A bit about myself - I'm a 37 year old Aussie mum of twin almost three year old boys.  Being Summer over here it tri season as we speak so my goals are for next year.  In my 20's and I played a high level of netball (don't think you guys play it over there!) and ran a fair bit.  But since then life just got in the way, and now I am terribly (tragically even!) unfit.  I've got maybe 30 kg to lose all up (I think around 65 lbs).

A few years ago I did a mini tri and really enjoyed it and last Summer I summoned the courage to do another - I finished nearly last!  I haven't signed up to do any this Summer but next Summer I would like to do the Gatorade series here in Melbourne which consists of monthly sprint tri's from November to March, with one Olympic distance thrown into the mix.  Between now and then I have signed up for a half marathon in July and am hoping like crazy that there is enough time between now and then to get through it!

My darling hubby has promised me a new bike if I can lose 20 kg - the challenge is on!  I haven't started logging my workouts yet but in the next day or so I will get that all up and running.  I did go for my first "run" (that's fat person speak for embarrassing ridiculous shuffle intermixed with walking to dull the aches and pains!!) last night, and tonight I went for my first swim and managed to make it through 1,000 metres before stopping in fear of hyperventilating and drowning half way through a lap.  On the way out I signed up for an adult swim class which consists of weekly lessons starting in February!

Looking forward to being in a group with similar goals and passions, and to everyone else in the group - Happy New Year.  Here's to 2012 and everyone exceeding their own expectations Smile

It does sound like we have a good bit in common.  My twins are B/G and 8.5yo.  I didn't learn to swim proper until I was 28yo (I'm 35 now BTW)  I live at a lake and fully intend to overcome my fear of the open water swim in good time, but haven't quite mastered it yet.  Pool...can swim all day it seems.  Lake water, can't see, and feel like I'm suffocating, very odd, it's all in my head.  Makes me curious if I'd be OK in clear tropical ocean waters? LOL  Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

2012-01-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3965985

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
Subject: RE: Do you have any room for a Duathlete?

lamarvenoy - 2012-01-02 9:31 AM Of course there's room for you. Just waiting for a couple more people to hop in the train and we'll get this thing started.

I also work in Ann Arbor as a CAD technician cool stuff.

Too funny... small world sometimes.   I like to sneak in swims during my lunch break at Saline Rec because I work on the south-western fringe by the AA airport.  It's super reasonable cost wise and pretty nice for what I need it for.  Would be nice to have a pool closer to home, but there really isn't anything.  Just the lake across the street from me.  Which I really need to spend some quality time in this year.  ;-)  Du this year...Tri again next?  Last time was a little embarrassing.  (but still fun none the less)

2012-01-03 11:30 AM

Minnesota

Hi, I'm very interested in joining this group! A little info about me.

Name: Marcy

Location: Freezing cold Minnesota! I'm envious of all the outdoor training going on right now.

Occupation: Hmmm. Well, I'm a Licensed Psychologist by training, but have decided to stay home and home school my 4 precious children (ages 12, 10, 8, 5 1/2 (that half is VERY important)).

Family: Happily married for 16 years to my best friend. We have done a couple sprint tri's together in years past and enjoying exercising as a familly.

Training: Started training again yesterday! I have done several sprint tri's in the past 6 years, none in the past 3. In those past 3 years, I have successfully packed on about 40 extra pounds, largely attributed to staying home and having constant access to food, and not making time to go to the gym. Now the kids a little older and can train with me, or I can train without them needing me. Swam competitively through High School, but haven't been in the pool for about 2 years. Slowly rode my bike 473 miles in 7 days last summer in RAGBRAI (Iowa), but haven't touched the bike since. I am not a strong runner. Looking forward to getting back to the exercise and having it feel good, not be such a struggle.

Goals: I'd like to do at least one sprint tri this summer, possibly one that has a kids tri too. Maybe make it up to an Oly??? That is my ultimate goal! I'd like to be able to run and play with my kids without getting winded. Lose 40 pounds! Short term goal: We are going skiing in Co in Feb and I'd like to gain muscle strength in my legs and increase endurance by then.

2012-01-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3968205

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan

Hi Marcy,

It's cold here in MI too.  Not as cold as normal and we have an odd lack of any real snow.  So it's just cold enough to be kind of blah, but nothing to play in to make it fun outside.  (This is from one of my 8yo's over the holiday break)  I'm ready for outdoor training for sure.  Cool

Don't forget to add us all to your friends list so that we can give you inspiration.  (I tried to look at your blog and I couldn't...friends only)  Happy Training. 

2012-01-03 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3968205

Regular
Canton, MI

Welcome Welcome Marcy. I'll add you to my friends in the training logs, welcome to the group. only a couple more people and I'll change the group to closed (I think 10 is as many people as I want for my first time mentor group).

Also, does anyone think they would benefit from a triathlon 101 type essay piece? maybe go over some must have gear, some stuff to stay away from, starting off training, picking your first race, etc..? It looks like there is a good mix of people but everyone that's joined as of late has at least some race experience whether it's road races (running) or triathlon.

Also I'd like everyone to think of one thing that they've been dying to ask about the sport but have been too shy to for fear of sounding silly. I had a million of these questions when I first started off. They can range from training questions to rafce etiquette, to transitions questions, anything is fair game.

2012-01-03 2:23 PM

Regular

Name: Erik
Approximate time per week to devote to training: 5-8 hours
Personal goals: Did my 1st Sprint a year ago. Started the process at 255 and got it down to 242 by tri time.  Then I didn't have any more events scheduled and lost my mojo.  Goal this year is to scheduel a full season with 2 sprints, a 5k, a 10k and a half marathon.

Your level of proficiency in swim, bike and run: I was up to be able to breast stroke a full mile.  Cycling was my weakest area just based on time to ramp up and utilizing the inexpensive bike on hand to make sure I'd enjoy this whole triathlon thing.  Running improved as year went on down to just over 9 minute miles.

Anything else that you would like to share: After going through the whole "first timer" experience last year and now getting ready for season #2 I am looking to recapture some of that "newbie enthusiasm".  The 13lb drop a year ago came with improved resting heart rate, lower cholesterol, lower triglycerides, and whole bunch of other benefits.  Longer term goals include olympic distance in 2013 and a half in 2014.  We'll see where it goes from there.

To all of you new to this, don't let all the information overwhelm or discourage you!  This is a great sport and the benefits are awesome.  Just do it! 

2012-01-03 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
Subject: My Silly Triathlon Question

I am doing a Duathlon this year, but that's not to say that Triathlons are 100% out of the question for me in the future.  I just need more open water time.  So...

How do you get *safe* open water time outside of a race?  I live on an all sports private lake, but I'm afraid that I'll get ran over by a passing pontoon.  I'm NOT kidding...LOL.  I REALLY need to work on open water...the pool just isn't going to cut it for me to be comfortable to jump in a lake and swim on race day.   Been there done that.  Go see my log July 2006...Embarassed

2012-01-03 3:44 PM

Hi Erin, 

Nice to meet you!  Don't you love having twins?! I nearly had a heart attack when I found out there was two in there!  Now I can't even imagine just having one or the other.  They just seem to go together.Smile

I love swimming in the open water - the beaches near us are beautiful but to be honest I haven't swum in the open water for ages.  Just the stinky chlorine!!  Must rectify while the weather is nice.  I have never swum in a lake - the only ones near us look kinda murky and it doesn't appeal!  Fortunately all the tris in Melbourne (that I know of any way) all start with a bay swim at various locations, then continue with the ride on the road (which is closed for the events) and the run is usually on paths out and back along the beach.  Makes for a pretty nice setting really although being right on the bay you can get some pretty awful crosswinds.

I am really looking forward to the next twelve months, getting to know everyone and sharing the inevitable highs and lows of training.  Talk to you soon - it's breaky time at our house so must go feed the monsters!

Sharryn

Edited by ShampyV 2012-01-03 3:45 PM
2012-01-03 3:52 PM

Hi again Erin, 

I am no open water swimming expert but when I did a tri a few years ago  I did swim with an open water group for a couple of months and they reccommend the following things to stay safe in open water - 

*swim with others 

* wear bright coloured swimming cap so you are always visible

* swim parallel with shore - that way you can stay at a depth where you can always stand up if need be

Hope that helps

Sharryn

2012-01-03 4:03 PM

Subject: My tri question

Ok, I know this is an age old question and there's not any one correct answer but I would really like to discuss the "which type of bike?" issue.  Assuming I reach my goal and hubby buys me a new bike, I was wondering whether to go for a tri specific bike or a road bike.  Bearing in mind the following things...

I am not at all confident riding on the roads - I am not a cyclist by any stretch, and most (not all of course but  good majority) of my training on the bike when the time comes will be on a trainer. 

The next twelve months will be a focus on sprint and olympic distance but jump forward a year when I have had a stellar tri season (heehee) I would like to "go long" and shoot for a HIM and eventually a full IM.

Any thoughts?

2012-01-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3968981

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
Subject: RE: My tri question

Hi Sharryn,

I do love having twins.  They are truly each others best friend. My son is so incredibly protective of his "little" (by 2 mins) sister that I feel sorry for her future boyfriend, he is going to have his hands very full keeping daddy and brother happy.  I found out at my first PG Dr appt at 10wks and was shocked.  I had NO morning sickness, and barely any weight gain (~2lbs)  They do run in the family though.  Wink

On your bike question, I would go with a road bike at this point.  You can always get aerobars added later if you decide you want to try them.  Lastly if you REALLY love triathlon you could sell the first bike to a newbie , and spring for a real Triathlon bike.  That's what I would do.  I'm still at the road bike stage.  My DH has the same bike as I do, only bigger & bright RED, with the aerobars added.  It looks nice, I *might* do that later this spring-summer.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK Rss Feed  

of 4