BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2011-12-21 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Subject: Scott's Mentor Group-Closed

I can start mentoring immediately if needed.

NAME: Rsmoylan/R. Scott Moylan

STORY: I am a licensed acupuncturist & herbalist and have always been involved in fitness.  I ran track and cross country in high school focusing mostly on middle distance.  In my 20's I studied martial arts and trained with weights consistently.  When I was 36 I caught the bug and wanted to race again.  I have been racing year round for about 3 years now.  I have been focusing on 5k, sprint & olympic distance triathlon.  I would love the opportunity to share what I have learned as well as help keep people motivated for this wonderful sport.
FAMILY STATUS: I am married with a 6 year old daughter.  
CURRENT TRAINING: Most weeks I train 7 days, occasionally I will take a day off when needed.  I am currently bike focused because I am recovering from an achilles injury.  
THIS YEAR'S RACES: My last two races were great successes.  I qualified for AG nationals.  One was a 1st place AG win, the other was a 3rd place.   
2012 RACES:  My goals for this year are to stay injury free and continue to get faster.  If my achilles allows I will try to tackle my first Half Iron distance race.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am looking to drop about 8 lbs. to reach my race weight for the coming year.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am looking forward to this opportunity.  I know what it is like to be starting out in this sometimes confusing sport.  It was not that long ago that I had the same questions.  I am on BT almost daily so if I can help out in any way I would be happy to do that.  BT has been a wonderful resource for me and I would appreciate the chance to give back a little.  

Edited by rsmoylan 2012-01-02 7:20 PM

2011-12-30 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3947465

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Subject: RE: Scott's Mentor Group-Open
Happy holidays everyone.  Let's get this party started.  I'm looking forward to a fantastic 2012.  Who's in?
2011-12-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3961546

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
I'm in!!
2011-12-30 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Great Nicole!  Can you give a bio when you get a chance?  Looking forward to this.
2011-12-30 12:38 PM

User image

New user

Chicago

Hi.  I have made the decision to do a tri this year and need a mentor.

My experience is none.  Laughing  I am cycle fan and have been for 10+ years but that's it.  I spin any chance I get.  Every time I try to run or jog it is pretty painful on my knees.  And I haven't tried the swim yet.  But hey, no doom and gloom here.!  I want to do this.  I am active in every other way and I am stubborn.  So . . . can you give me the direction and boost I need to get started and stick with it?

Hope so.

Domenica

2011-12-30 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3962253

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
cresap.dom - 2011-12-30 1:38 PM

Hi.  I have made the decision to do a tri this year and need a mentor.

My experience is none.  Laughing  I am cycle fan and have been for 10+ years but that's it.  I spin any chance I get.  Every time I try to run or jog it is pretty painful on my knees.  And I haven't tried the swim yet.  But hey, no doom and gloom here.!  I want to do this.  I am active in every other way and I am stubborn.  So . . . can you give me the direction and boost I need to get started and stick with it?

Hope so.

Domenica

Hi Domenica.  Welcome to the wonderful world of tri's and BT.  You came to the right place.  The first thing is to ask lots and lots of questions here and in Tri Talk.  The next will be to log your workouts so we can see what you are doing.  Do you have a race in mind for the coming year?  Running can be tough on the body, and I have a bit of experience with this so we'll see what we can do about getting you through your races injury free.  As far as swimming goes; do you know how to swim?

2011-12-30 1:10 PM

User image

New user

St. Cloud

Thumbs up, let's do this!

Name: Mike

STORY: I am a recent college grad, living in Minnesota. I used to run cross country in high school but started running 5Ks when I was about 10 years old.  In my sophomore year of college I started a pretty dedicated weight lifting program.  However, that started to fade as I got busier with school and work. Over the past year I have gained about 15 pounds and am eager to lose that weight.  I have always wanted to do a triathlon and its just ironic that my training is starting right at New Years. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single.

CURRENT TRAINING: I recently joined the YMCA and am currently just doing some light cardio and circuit training.  I officially plan on starting my triathlon training on 01/02/12.

2012 Races: I currently plan on doing my first Sprint on May 19th.  I also plan on doing a 5K once a month starting in March.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Lose 15 pounds.

WHY I NEED A MENTOR: Obviously to stay motivated, gain knowledge on beginner equipment, diet info, weight training tips, and most importantly injury prevention.

BIGGEST OBSTACLES FOR ME: Adapting to swimming in lakes in Minnesota. 

2011-12-30 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Hi Mike.  Thanks for joining.  Are you going to be following a specific plan for your May Triathlon?  Lots of great resources here at BT.  Ask any questions that you're curious about.  There certainly is a lot to learn about how to balance all three sports, gear, etc.  I'll do my best to answer any questions and guide you to where the answers are if I don't know. Great to have you aboard. 
2011-12-30 3:34 PM

User image

Clayton NC
Hello Scott,
My name is Roger and I am a 49 year old that has been a consistent runner for the past almost 8 years.
I have completed one marathon, 2-half marathons, one 20k and several 10kand and 5 ks.
I did 2- sprint triathlons this year 2010.

I plan to do a strange distance tri in may of 2012 that will be 50 total miles. ( 1mile swim, 44 bike and 5 run.) I want to to this as it will be 2 weeks after my 50th birthday and I just think it would be a cool goal.
The challenge for me will be the swim.
Also I hope to be able to do 2 workouts per week per sport. Is this realistic???

Husband to 1 and I have 2 awsome kids that have given me 2 awesome grandchildren.

I am a silver level member and hope to really gain a lot of input from your experiences.

Thanks for doing this,

Roger

Edited by controltech01 2011-12-30 4:07 PM
2011-12-30 4:13 PM

Hi Scott

Have registered to complete my first spirint triathlon in May 2012 and want to give myself the best possible chance of not coming last!! There are 300 entrants!!

My history is that I have had 4 knee operations since 2007, but have now been discharged by my surgeon! In 2011 I completed three 10k races, completing all under the 60 minute mark!

I have registered for the spirint to give me motivation to continue my training and to give me some variation to just running!! I could also do with losing some of the weight that I gained during my period of not being able to train.

I am currently running 5 k, 3 times a week, and am running in two 10k races in February (aim to complete in under 60 mins).

Need your support to keep me on the straight and narrow, and just to be someone that I can chat with who knows what they are talking about!!

Thanks

Gareth

2011-12-30 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3962538

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

controltech01 - 2011-12-30 4:34 PM Hello Scott, My name is Roger and I am a 49 year old that has been a consistent runner for the past almost 8 years. I have completed one marathon, 2-half marathons, one 20k and several 10kand and 5 ks. I did 2- sprint triathlons this year 2010. I plan to do a strange distance tri in may of 2012 that will be 50 total miles. ( 1mile swim, 44 bike and 5 run.) I want to to this as it will be 2 weeks after my 50th birthday and I just think it would be a cool goal. The challenge for me will be the swim. Also I hope to be able to do 2 workouts per week per sport. Is this realistic??? Husband to 1 and I have 2 awsome kids that have given me 2 awesome grandchildren. I am a silver level member and hope to really gain a lot of input from your experiences. Thanks for doing this, Roger

Hi Roger.  Welcome!  That tri sounds pretty close to an olympic with a good long bike leg.  A great goal for a great accomplishment.  The swim is a challenge for lots of folks.  You have 5 months to get to that goal.  How much swim experience do you have?  There is a wealth of information here and some very talented swimmers so ask lots of questions.  Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.  

ETA: 2 workouts per week for each sport is absolutely realistic.  It all depends on what your goals are.  

Edited by rsmoylan 2011-12-30 6:59 PM

2011-12-30 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3962611

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
gareth73 - 2011-12-30 5:13 PM

Hi Scott

Have registered to complete my first spirint triathlon in May 2012 and want to give myself the best possible chance of not coming last!! There are 300 entrants!!

My history is that I have had 4 knee operations since 2007, but have now been discharged by my surgeon! In 2011 I completed three 10k races, completing all under the 60 minute mark!

I have registered for the spirint to give me motivation to continue my training and to give me some variation to just running!! I could also do with losing some of the weight that I gained during my period of not being able to train.

I am currently running 5 k, 3 times a week, and am running in two 10k races in February (aim to complete in under 60 mins).

Need your support to keep me on the straight and narrow, and just to be someone that I can chat with who knows what they are talking about!!

Thanks

Gareth

Hi Gareth.  Congratulations on getting through those surgeries.  Injuries can sometimes be our greatest motivators.  I would love to hear more about your training plans for the tri and what experiences you have in the other disciplines.  It's also great that you have some goals to bridge you to that first tri.  Looking forward to the sharing and making sure you don't come in last.  :-)

Edited by rsmoylan 2011-12-30 7:00 PM
2011-12-30 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3962812

I would like to join this group if it is still open.

My "A" race in 2012 is AG Nationals in Burlington Vermont in August 2012.  I will do at least one half marathon and 3 or 4 "B" Olympic distant races  leading up to August.

I have mostly done sprints for past few years until last August.

I am just starting doing a bike/swim focus BT training plan.  I trained throughout the fall, but I have had a few slow weeks past month having just had eye surgery, and bad flu (even though i had flu shot).

Weight loss goal: 12 to 18 pounds.

Charlotte

2011-12-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3962804

User image

Clayton NC
Thanks for the reply,
I don't have a lot of swim experience. I did swim the distance of this race before in training but want to feel more comfortable in the water.
I have the total immersion dvd and need to work on using some of the techniques in there.
The swim is where I can improve the most.

I went vegan on my diet 2 months ago and lost 12 lbs without any hunger at all. I have felt that I may have more energy since switching to this diet.

I was not overweight before but it will not hurt to not carry the extra weight of course. With the more intense training to come I will really have to be sure to get enough calories and protein with this eating plan.

Have a great weekend.

Roger

Edited by controltech01 2011-12-30 9:33 PM
2011-12-30 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3962957

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
charlotte hobbs - 2011-12-30 9:36 PM

I would like to join this group if it is still open.

My "A" race in 2012 is AG Nationals in Burlington Vermont in August 2012.  I will do at least one half marathon and 3 or 4 "B" Olympic distant races  leading up to August.

I have mostly done sprints for past few years until last August.

I am just starting doing a bike/swim focus BT training plan.  I trained throughout the fall, but I have had a few slow weeks past month having just had eye surgery, and bad flu (even though i had flu shot).

Weight loss goal: 12 to 18 pounds.

Charlotte

Congratulations on qualifying for AG Nationals.  I qualified as well last year.  The venue is 15 minutes from where I live so I'm glad I put together a good race to qualify for it.  Heal up from the surgery and flu and get back at it when you're better.  Looking forward to your contribution and questions to the group.  

2011-12-30 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3963032

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

controltech01 - 2011-12-30 10:26 PM Thanks for the reply, I don't have a lot of swim experience. I did swim the distance of this race before in training but want to feel more comfortable in the water. I have the total immersion dvd and need to work on using some of the techniques in there. The swim is where I can improve the most. I went vegan on my diet 2 months ago and lost 12 lbs without any hunger at all. I have felt that I may have more energy since switching to this diet. I was not overweight before but it will not hurt to not carry the extra weight of course. With the more intense training to come I will really have to be sure to get enough calories and protein with this eating plan. Have a great weekend. Roger

The swim is definitely the most technical of the three as you're finding out.  TI is a great way to learn the basics and beyond.  There are some fantastic youtube videos as well.  Nothing, of course, beats one on one instruction with an instructor though.  If you have a chance to do some of that, I highly recommend it, or you can also post a video here or in tri talk.  There are always some experienced people willing to give advice.  

With regard to going vegan; have you read any of Brendan Brazier's stuff?  He is a triathlete who wrote a book, Thrive, that gives some amazing recipes for endurance athletes.  I was mostly vegan this past season and worked with his recipes primarily.  

2011-12-30 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3962253

User image

New user

Chicago

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I need to spend time on the website setting things up.  I start workouts tomorrow.  I know I am late to the plan, but better late than never.  I can swim ok and know the basics.  My first challenge will be finding a pool in the area to swim in.  The healthclub near me doesn't have a pool.

I notice you are in VT and not a hot summer state.  I am in Chicago so I am thinking you can help me train during these cold months here. 

I work typically long days.  Get up at 5 a.m., to work by 6:30 and get home around 10 pm.   Actually it is 10:07 right now Chicago time.  Wtih that schedule, I can sqeeze in workouts at lunchtime.  I spin mostly but now I will start other activities with your guidance.  As I mentioned, I am concerned about the running.  I have picked up jogging every winter and consistantly suffer injury or pain each time.  FYI, I am 48 years old and suspect that age may play a role in my jogging woes.

What else?

I am looking forward to making progress,    

Domenica

2011-12-30 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3963109

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
cresap.dom - 2011-12-30 11:12 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I need to spend time on the website setting things up.  I start workouts tomorrow.  I know I am late to the plan, but better late than never.  I can swim ok and know the basics.  My first challenge will be finding a pool in the area to swim in.  The healthclub near me doesn't have a pool.

I notice you are in VT and not a hot summer state.  I am in Chicago so I am thinking you can help me train during these cold months here. 

I work typically long days.  Get up at 5 a.m., to work by 6:30 and get home around 10 pm.   Actually it is 10:07 right now Chicago time.  Wtih that schedule, I can sqeeze in workouts at lunchtime.  I spin mostly but now I will start other activities with your guidance.  As I mentioned, I am concerned about the running.  I have picked up jogging every winter and consistantly suffer injury or pain each time.  FYI, I am 48 years old and suspect that age may play a role in my jogging woes.

What else?

I am looking forward to making progress,    

Domenica

I would love to help with your running.  What have you done in the past running wise?  How many runs per week?  What kind of intensity?  I run all year round outside, so can absolutely guide you there.  I'm time crunched as well, and have gotten pretty good and finagling time to get workouts in.  Let's make some progress.

2011-12-31 7:40 AM

User image

New user

Chicago

Good Morning.

I don't have a running history.  I have typically started when I have to bring my bike in on the trainer for the winter rides.  I get jelouse of the runners so I will start with a slow 1-2 mile jog and after either the 1st run or by the 3rd or 4th I suffer some kind of injury and then I quit.  This year I did my first cold weather jog about a month ago and killed my lower left back some how and had physical therepy for about a month.  Then last week I got back out and just did a fast walk for 2 miles with no pain.  I am assuming that means I can get out and try again.  I am heading to work now and will be finished around 4 today. My thought was to try a slow jog today and hope for the best.  What do you think?  I saw a "couch to 5K" was going to read on this website.  Let me know what you think.  I also read here that its better to sign up for a future race as a goal.

?

Thanks,

Domenica

2011-12-31 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3963329

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
cresap.dom - 2011-12-31 8:40 AM

Good Morning.

I don't have a running history.  I have typically started when I have to bring my bike in on the trainer for the winter rides.  I get jelouse of the runners so I will start with a slow 1-2 mile jog and after either the 1st run or by the 3rd or 4th I suffer some kind of injury and then I quit.  This year I did my first cold weather jog about a month ago and killed my lower left back some how and had physical therepy for about a month.  Then last week I got back out and just did a fast walk for 2 miles with no pain.  I am assuming that means I can get out and try again.  I am heading to work now and will be finished around 4 today. My thought was to try a slow jog today and hope for the best.  What do you think?  I saw a "couch to 5K" was going to read on this website.  Let me know what you think.  I also read here that its better to sign up for a future race as a goal.

?

Thanks,

Domenica

The couch to 5k has worked for a lot of people.  The key is to go slow.  I mean so slow that you would be embarrassed to be seen slow.  It is not the miles that get you, but the intensity.  There is a saying that one of the posters here says a lot.  Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.  It is up to us to define what is lots, easy and hard.  I would say go for that slow run today or make it a combination of walking and running.  Say, walk for 4 minutes and run for 1.  Do that for 20 minutes.  How does that sound?

2011-12-31 2:35 PM

User image

New user

Boulder CO

Hi Scott! I'd like to join your mentor group!

Name: Ann/bly

Story: I started running 5 years ago or so to help me quit smoking. It worked for awhile and then I backslided into a few cigarettes a day, but I kept up the running. I've quit again permanently several months ago finally finding the thing to say to myself to help me resist the urge "cigarettes do not help me reach my goals." I learned to run and swim after I quit. I was already into the bike. I have never done a tri though. I've only done 3 5Ks and 1 10K last summer. I was happy to be able to run the distance but definitely am slow. I'm not a very competitive person and haven't ever done a tri, but I could. Maybe this year....with your help and the help of this group.

Goals for 2012: Improve my 10K time. I'm also going full vegetarian (to start but really vegan once I figure out the nutrition - liked your suggestion for the author.)

Family: Married for 14 years, no kids but we have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Weightloss: Would like to lose about 8 lbs and lean out.

CURRENT TRAINING: I just got back from 2.5 months in Africa which shot my training schedule, but I did climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. Going to start on the run focused Olympic distance 20 week program.

Thank you for volunteering your time. I look forward to your suggestions.

Edited by bly 2011-12-31 2:53 PM

2011-12-31 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3963896

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
bly - 2011-12-31 3:35 PM

Hi Scott! I'd like to join your mentor group!

Name: Ann/bly

Story: I started running 5 years ago or so to help me quit smoking. It worked for awhile and then I backslided into a few cigarettes a day, but I kept up the running. I've quit again permanently several months ago finally finding the thing to say to myself to help me resist the urge "cigarettes do not help me reach my goals." I learned to run and swim after I quit. I was already into the bike. I have never done a tri though. I've only done 3 5Ks and 1 10K last summer. I was happy to be able to run the distance but definitely am slow. I'm not a very competitive person and haven't ever done a tri, but I could. Maybe this year....with your help and the help of this group.

Goals for 2012: Improve my 10K time. I'm also going full vegetarian (to start but really vegan once I figure out the nutrition - liked your suggestion for the author.)

Family: Married for 14 years, no kids but we have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Weightloss: Would like to lose about 8 lbs and lean out.

CURRENT TRAINING: I just got back from 2.5 months in Africa which shot my training schedule, but I did climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. Going to start on the run focused Olympic distance 20 week program.

Thank you for volunteering your time. I look forward to your suggestions.

Hi Ann.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.  That is no small feat.  If you can tackle that, you can certainly tackle a tri.  I'm not kidding about that either.  Being "slow" is all relative.  There is always someone faster.  Hopefully we can all work together to get faster for next season.  Thanks for joining.  Looking forward to the opportunity to help in any way I can.  

2011-12-31 4:51 PM

User image

Lake Forest, CA

Scott,

I'd like to join your group.

Name: Craig

Story: I have family that has been competing in IM for many years.  The last two years I've gone to Kona for the IM World Championships (watching not competing).  Well I've decided that this is the year I'm going to start training and do a some sprints and Oly's.  I've been a mountain biker for the last five years or so and have always been a natural swimmer.  Running, not so much.  I'm slow and can't believe how hard I find it.

Goals for 2012: Race some Oly's and maybe some sprints.  Haven't scheduled anything yet.  Learn to enjoy running!

Family: Married for 18 years, 15 yo daughter and 12 yo son.  Very involved in the kids athletics.

Weightloss: I figure the tri training should take care of the extra few pounds.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started the BT 20 week oly shedule back in October.  Three weeks in got sick for a month and had to stop.  Ready to get going again.

Thanks a million.  Think I'll go out for a run now!

Craig

2011-12-31 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3964095

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
craiger951 - 2011-12-31 5:51 PM

Scott,

I'd like to join your group.

Name: Craig

Story: I have family that has been competing in IM for many years.  The last two years I've gone to Kona for the IM World Championships (watching not competing).  Well I've decided that this is the year I'm going to start training and do a some sprints and Oly's.  I've been a mountain biker for the last five years or so and have always been a natural swimmer.  Running, not so much.  I'm slow and can't believe how hard I find it.

Goals for 2012: Race some Oly's and maybe some sprints.  Haven't scheduled anything yet.  Learn to enjoy running!

Family: Married for 18 years, 15 yo daughter and 12 yo son.  Very involved in the kids athletics.

Weightloss: I figure the tri training should take care of the extra few pounds.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started the BT 20 week oly shedule back in October.  Three weeks in got sick for a month and had to stop.  Ready to get going again.

Thanks a million.  Think I'll go out for a run now!

Craig

Hey Craig.  Welcome to BT!  I hope you went for that run.  Sprints and Oly's are a great intro to the tri world.  You might just get hooked.  Being down in Kona must have been a thrill.  Would love to hear about it.  Glad you're part of the team.  Let's make this a great year and get you to those races healthy.  Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to help you meet your goals.

2011-12-31 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3962043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

rsmoylan - 2011-12-30 11:57 AM Great Nicole!  Can you give a bio when you get a chance?  Looking forward to this.

Oops. Sorry.

Ok. I'm 37. Not married and no dependent children (my son is grown). I've always had some form of excersize in my life and running is usually included in at least a small way even when it wasn't my main focus.

I've been running on and off for years starting in high school. I never was very fast but since I picked it back up again I am embarrasingly slow, so one of my goals is to speed up so I'm not always last. I have completed 3 half marathons and a sprint duathlon (run 5k, bike 10 miles, run 5K). Last August was supposed to be my first sprint tri but the swim was cancelled. I'm hoping to get 2-3 tris in this summer. 

I'm currently training for another half-marathon in April but have been very unmotivated the last few months so I should have phrased that "I'm supposed to be training". It's not yet unsalvagable, though as long as I get going again soon. I do struggle with staying motivated and not getting distracted. I also tend to get injured(mostly back problems that cause me to miss workouts) and need to work on my flexibility. I would also like to becaome leaner-I don't say lose weight because I'm very muscular and find it difficult to guage by the scale.

I love swimming and and getting at least 2 swim workouts per week right now. I'm in the north, it's winter and I don't have a bike trainer so I'm not biking right now. Hmmmm, what else? I'm really not looking for anything specific right now. I just need to refocus and recommit. I've become way too laid back about my workouts so hopefully just the fact that I'm a part of this will help. Thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 34