BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's Aye! Aye! Tri Crew - FULL - this ship has left the dock! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-12-21 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Bill's Aye! Aye! Tri Crew - FULL - this ship has left the dock!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: ready to begin now

NAME: AtlantaBill, aka Bill

STORY:  I've always been an endurance athlete.  I was on the swim team and ran track in high school.  I started road cycling after college.  I've done running races and triathlons for years. I love the excitement of the race, the adventure of seeing what will happen.  The anticipation and expectations build during training, but you never know for sure what will happen until it comes together on race day.  I also enjoy comparing ideas with others and discussing the challenges of training and racing.  

FAMILY STATUS: Husband and Dad to two young sons, my "family 2.0".  I also have a daughter in college from my previous marriage.

CURRENT TRAINING: In general I follow a classical periodization method - weekly mini-cycles with hard days, easy days and a rest day, monthly meso-cycles with increasing volume for 3 weeks, then an easy week, and overall macro phases - base training, build phase, peak and taper phase, then post-race recovery phase.

In 2011 I began to embrace heart rate training.  This has helped me build my volume and intensity without injury and set realistic race pace goals.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I've done sprint and Oly triathlons, running races, bike centuries for several years.  I did my first HIM, Augusta 70.3 in 2009.  2010 was an off year - I broke my arm, we had a baby, we moved to a new house, I changed jobs.  By fall I was doing a few bike rides again and trying to get back into my running.

2011 was also a crazy year.  In January I thought 'this is the year' of my first full 140.6.  Then a persistent knee pain, which I rested, hurt again, rested, hurt again, finally healed only after I took 2 months off!  I got a late start in late April, barely able to finish my usual 35 mile Saturday group bike rides.  I trained steadily through May and June, swimming and riding more frequently than in years past, and gradually increased the volume.  In June I began running, very gradually.  By July I was on a steady periodization training program.  In August I did a century and was 95% back to form.  I felt good and I committed to preparing for the B2B 140.6 at the end of Oct.  In Sept and Oct I put in a solid 7 weeks of 10 to 12 hours a week, lots of swim and bike, easy on the running.  I realized I was in at least as good shape as the 16+ hour folks, I will probably never train 15+ hours a week for 6 months, so now was a good time as any.  My goal was to 'finish, vertical and smiling' my first 140.6, which I did in 12 hours. 

2012 RACES:  I'm committed to race the Jekyl Island Turtle Crawl Olympic Triathlon (in Geogria) in May 2012.  Before that there is a local 10k in Feb and a century ride in April.  For the fall, I will either focus on preparing for a HIM, or an epic mountain century ride (Six Gaps).

WEIGHTLOSS: For 3 years I wanted to lose 5 pounds, which I did during my intense IM final training and race.  Now I'm happy just maintaining my current weight.  I think lots of zone 2 running does burn more fat and reduce weight than higher intensity workouts.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I enjoy hearing of others challenges and successes.  All of the training tips can be picked up in the books, blogs and forum posts.  But the mental aspect, the encouragement, the validation that what you're worried about is 'normal', requires interaction and custom fit solutions.  I'm grateful for those who helped me and gave me the encouragement to believe and preserve.  I will try to help my crew likewise.

Edited by AtlantaBill 2012-01-04 4:03 PM

2011-12-30 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3948889

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bill's Aye! Aye! Tri Crew - OPEN

Topic Of The Week (TOTW): Are you using a heart rate monitor?  power meter?  Are you uploading your training stats to a computer?

I'm using a Timex Ironman Race Trainer (non-GPS) heart rate monitor with data exchanger.  When I sync, it uploads the data into Training Peaks.   So I'm logging my workouts there.  

In business "you manage what you measure".  It's true, since I started using this watch and log I'm more consistent with my workouts.

2012-01-01 12:57 PM

Hi Bill!  I'd like to join your group if that's okay with you.  I want to participate in this year's "My First Triathlon" at Lake Lanier in June of 2012.   I had wanted to do it last year, and began training, but due to financial issues, wasn't ever able to acquire a bike.  This year I have a fund in place to rectify that problem, and should be able to buy one within a few weeks.

My background:

I'm female, 49 years old - I turn 50 in August.  At the beginning of 2009, I had never jogged more than 20 consecutive minutes in my life.  I could barely jog for 90 continuous seconds! I completed the Couch to 5K running program during 2009, and have since run in several 5k races. In September of 2010 I ran a 10k race (6.2 miles) in 1'29"!  I didn't run much last year, but most recently completed a 5K in October of 2011.  I'm very slow - it still takes me about 48 minutes to run a 5k.

When I was a youngster, I cycled a lot, but haven't owned a bike since college.  I run and walk out at Stone Mountain fairly often, and it seems like a great place to cycle.  The cyclists seem to have fun with each other, and I'd like to get involved in a cycling community.  Last year I worked up to being able to cycle for an hour at the gym, then started participating in spin classes.

I taught myself how to swim at the gym a couple of years ago, but haven't done any open water swimming or had any formal training.

• Wanting to participate in more outdoor events and make new healthy friends
  • I want to be healthy and able to get around when I'm in my 70's!
  • Since I spent my 40's being obese, I'd like to spend my 50's looking good!

I was on track with nutrition & training through about May of 2011 - then my whole program crashed and burned for no apparant reason - and I've not gotten back on track since then.  I never do "new year's resolutions" - but this year is an exception.  I want to be successful at training for and completing the sprint triathlon this year.

So far, all my training has been solo.  I need help, and new and active friends.

Will you help me?

Jan

2012-01-01 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3962515

Subject: RE: TOTW

Hi Bill!

I have a heart rate monitor.  I don't know what a power meter is.  When I use the monitor, I keep the results in a spreadsheet on my computer.  I don't log them online anywhere.

Jan

2012-01-01 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3964903

User image

Veteran

Hi Jan,

Yes!  You can do this and Yes! we will help.

Wow, I'm happy to make your acquaintance.  There are many wonderful days ahead for you in the world of triathlon!

I see you've also started logging your workouts.  Excellent!  This is a great way to keep your training on track and for us to quickly see how you're progressing.

We'll discuss individual goals and training plans soon, but for now keep doing what you're doing.  Steady, frequent, easy running is the best thing this time of year.  Don't worry about "slow".  Slow is good.  Everyone has their own speeds.  You're building the foundation - base fitness from which you can later begin to work on finding your other speeds.

Don't run out and buy a bike just yet.   We'll spread the word that you're looking for one and we may find a fellow triathlete who is ready to upgrade who will sell you their good used bike for a bargain.

Welcome aboard!

Bill

2012-01-02 9:06 AM

New user

Estonia

Hi Bill!

Can I join your group? I am looking for a new challenge and think that tri should be the one for this year.

About me: i´m 25 years old, never been a sportsman. Always looking for some challenges and pushing my borders- I have done 2 full running marathons (last one in september), some cross-country half marathons, 2 cross country skiing marathons of 63 km and ride bike for fun pretty much every day. My weekest point  for sure is  swimming, and as its winter here, i attend to work hardest on that.

So i hope to get some info, ideas and inspiration from here.

Thanks,

Viljar

2012-01-02 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3965346

Great!  Thanks for the warm welcome, Bill!

I appreciate the note about not running out to buy a bike in particular... I want to make a good decision and get a used bike that will last me for a bit.  Finding someone who has one they're ready to pass on would be ideal.  For now, the spin bikes at the gym will work just fine :-)

Jan

2012-01-02 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3966055

User image

Veteran

Hi Viljar,

Yes, you're welcome to join us!  

Sounds like you have a solid aerobic base already.  Yes, swimming well takes work.  Do you have access to a swim coach.  I highly recommend getting some lessons from an experienced swim coach.  Good triathlon swimming needs good technique.  The goal is to get through the swim as quickly as possible and with the least energy spent as possible - this means being efficient.  A good coach will have you doing some drills to increase your ability to glide through the water with each stroke.

Have you identified a race, or races, for 2012 for which you want your training to prepare you?

Where are you?  What city?

Bill

2012-01-02 6:09 PM

Hi Bill,

Would love to join your group please. I'm turning thirty in January and have little endurance training done. I have played field sports (rugby = one of the little guys!) in the last couple of years but am not at my fittest.

I would like to get in shape for an olympic tri in May, and the aspect that worries me the most is the swimming. I can swim if its a choice between not swimming and drowning! However my technique and stamina are almost non existent so will require the main focus.

My goal would be to finish my first tri and I have the time to give to training. (at the expense of my xbox! :-) ). My girlfriend is working abroad until June - so outside of my own work I have little distractions...

Will you be able to help me?

Best regards,

Tony

2012-01-02 7:39 PM

New user

Hi Bill,

I'd like to join your team if possible.  Just started tri training over the last month.  I'm 31 with experience playing various sports and run in a couple 5Ks each year. My wife and I had a baby a year and a half ago and I took some time off from the gym, but am ready to get back into it! I live in Syracuse, NY and plan to race in the Green Lakes Triathlon June 9th!  Thanks

2012-01-02 9:31 PM

Hello,

I would like to join your mentor group too.  I am probably the newest newby out there right now! 8 years ago, I was in so much better shape than I am now!  I walked and swam several miles everyday.  But several moves and life as well as an illness on my part took its toll and today I dont think I can walk 1 mile at a good pace without being winded.  I have also gained a bit over that time frame.  When I was in High School I was a long distance runner and Loved it!

I havent even started training yet.  Last summer I made the decision to get things " together" so that I could begin.  But, now I realize that they will never "be together".  So I take the plunge!

In my business I am very good and following the proven plan and acheiving success and know that I can do the same with a physical challenge.    I need a PLAN and a good Mentor as well as accountability and I KNOW I can do this.

I have no equipment or guides as of yet.   I would love suggestions on the best starting point as well as equipment.

So, here I go, 45yo, out of shape, over weight and determined to make it happen!!

Oh... is it ok to say that I am in GA too and I liked that you and others in this group are also from GA?

Thanks.  I will be a terrific student!

Emm

Edited by emmv 2012-01-02 9:33 PM

2012-01-03 4:09 AM
in reply to: #3966697

New user

Estonia

Thanks for leting me on board!

I live in Estonia, small country near Finland. We have some tri groups, but nearest is 40 miles, so i have to train alone. I have access to  the pool, but there is no one to coach me. So i try what i see from videos and read from internet, also planning to take some private lessons  in some bigger city.

As i lokate in cold area, we just have races in summer and very view of them. I plan to make a sprint in June and another one in August. First get some experiences and go forward while enjoying it all. Big idea is to do full IM before i get 30, so i have 5 years.

Also i plan to some shorter races that include cicleing and running to cut the routine.

Viljar

2012-01-03 4:10 AM
in reply to: #3966697

New user

Estonia

Thanks for leting me on board!

I live in Estonia, small country near Finland. We have some tri groups, but nearest is 40 miles, so i have to train alone. I have access to  the pool, but there is no one to coach me. So i try what i see from videos and read from internet, also planning to take some private lessons  in some bigger city.

As i lokate in cold area, we just have races in summer and very view of them. I plan to make a sprint in June and another one in August. First get some experiences and go forward while enjoying it all. Big idea is to do full IM before i get 30, so i have 5 years.

Also i plan to some shorter races that include cicleing and running to cut the routine.

Viljar

2012-01-03 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3966958

User image

Veteran

Hi Tony,

Yes, I'm glad to help.  Welcome aboard!  Sounds like you have some fitness on which you can build.  Yes, swimming is the challenge for most new triathletes.  But you recognize that and knowing where to start is an important first step.  Do you have access to a pool over the next 4 months?  Is there swim stroke coaching available?  

The best place to start is with swim coaching and simultaneously begin doing short, easy pace runs.  The runs should be high frequency - meaning 3 or 4 or 5 times per week.  But short enough and slow enough that you never feel sore.  If you feel any soreness, take a day off.  This is the place to start.  Easy pace, build your frequency and you can gradually go on longer duration runs.

An olympic distance race ("Oly") is long enough that we've got to build a solid endurance base.  Speed training will come later, in the final 8 weeks before the event.

Where are you located?

Bill

2012-01-03 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3967115

User image

Veteran

Hi Sweenes,

Glad to have you on our crew!  I have an 18 month old too.  He's a lot of fun, but still occasionally kills a night's sleep for us. 

I understand you've mastered the 5k's and I see Green Lakes is a sprint.  Will this be your first triathlon?  How comfortable are you with swimming?  Do you have much cycling experience?  Does your gym have a pool?  spin bikes?

Bill

2012-01-03 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3967293

User image

Veteran

Hi Emm,

Not too worry, "life happens".  I've had good years and bad years... and then there was 2010.  But, you start over and build anew.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.  You probably are 'out of shape' right now, but you have been physically fit in the past so you know what it's like and it will be easier for you to break through the doubt and believe "I CAN do this". 

Glad to know you have organization skills and follow-through.  These are important in business, in triathlon, and in life.  You'll draw on and build these as we go forward.

I can already tell you have a good attitude - also important.  Yes, you've realized if you wait until you're ready and you've got everything together, you'll never go.  Just "take the plunge" is a great way to get started.  Now we'll build a plan, work the plan, and be prepared for your triathlon.  

Have you picked a target first race for 2012?

Welcome aboard!

Bill

2012-01-03 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3967455

User image

Veteran

Hi Viljars,

Wow, Estonia!  This is great.

Yes, I understand it may be a challenge, but I recommend making a trip to see a swim coach.  Good swim technique is a very custom fit skill.  Internet videos can definitely help you visualize in your mind what you're supposed to be doing.  But you also need an experienced person watching what you are actually doing, and then prescribing drills to improve your technique.

For example if you have good reach, but you're not gliding (coasting through the water briefly as your hand pushes past your hip), your coach might have you do a series of "catch-ups" - a swimming drill where you keep one hand forward until the other hand completes a stroke and comes back forward, then you repeat with the other hand.  It's counter-intuitive, but this drill causes you to realize if you're kicking steadily and you stay horizontal that you can glide between strokes.  This is a very important part of swimming efficiently and finishing the swim leg without being exhausted.

Viljar you have a good ambition and zero to full IM in 5 years is reasonable.  Given your history, if you find you enjoy triathlon, I predict you'll be ready with 3 or 4 years.  A full IM is very, very long so it requires a long time of doing long workouts to build endurance.  But you will get there.

Bill

Edited by AtlantaBill 2012-01-03 4:29 PM
2012-01-03 4:26 PM

Hello Bill and Triathletes

Congratulations on your many achievements in the Tri arena, I think you will make an excellent mentor based on your experiences.

I would love to join this group if you will have me.

Here is my story

My name is Linus (42 male) from Charlotte, NC. Last year, motivated by my sons 6 day swimming schedule, I decided to complete a sprint tri for the very first time. Alas I did not manage to accomplish that goal on my own partly due to mountain\road biking injuries (knee and shoulder) and partially due to the fear swimming in the lake with so many others in close proximity, which I have not done before.

I am an mountain biker, ride 3 times a week if I can for around 10-15 miles at a time. Trained and entered the 2011 MS150 Ride to the Beach, rode 100miles the first day and 50 the next. I must say that my knees took 2 months to heal from all of that, probably due to the short training rides of 30miles. 

Started swimming by taking 5 swim lessons in Jan 2011. Swam at least once a week for almost 6 months then the injury set in to my shoulder (MTN Bike fall). Had to cut down on swimming entirely therefore taking me out of the running for a triathlon for 2011. I took Dec off as a recovery from all the stress on the body due to exercising in 2011.

I started running in Jan 2011, haven't ran before. By June I was able to complete a 3K run. The biking I have down. My biggest challenge is the swimming and balancing the time to train between these three disciplines.

I have exercise induced asthma. Breathing heavily during exercises triggers this. My doctor gives me the all ok to embark on this journey with min medication.

Will love to have the support of community as I try once more to complete my first Tri this year. The one I am interested in is this:

Latta Sprint

TIME:6:30 AM

DATE: Saturday, June 09, 2012

PLACE:Latta Plantation Park - Charlotte, NC

DISTANCE: 750 Meter Swim, 17 Mile Bike, 5K Run

Thanks for hearing me out and look forward to your advise.

2012-01-03 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3969037

User image

Veteran

Hi Linus,

Yes, welcome aboard!

Your 2011 was a year of mixed success, but you definitely accomplished the hardest step.  The step which most people never take.  The first step.  You got started on a commitment toward your new goal to do a triathlon.

Yes, you've got good cycling ability, and will find your mountain bike experience puts you in the top 10% for bike handling skills.  Many triathletes have poor at bike handling skills.  I frequently have to dodge swerving triathletes during a race as they are reaching for their water bottle.

Will you be returning to the pool this winter?  That may be the best therapy for your shoulder as well as building your base fitness.  The amount of swimming you did last year shows you're capable of being committed and you were getting accustomed to the routine of going to the pool.  This is valuable.  You know what to expect and you know you can do the swim training.

You've had enough experience that you brought up the issue of balance.  This is one of the great hidden aspects of triathlon.  Finding balance in your life, between time for family/friends, time for work, time for sleep, and time for training.  And then when it's time to train finding the right balance between swim/bike/run workouts.  

We'll discuss balance many times.  For now, get back in the pool and begin doing regular, short, easy runs - the more often the better - 3, 4, 5 times a week.  Yes, 20 minutes on the treadmill counts.  Easy pace means you can carry on a conversation if someone is with you.  Easy pace means you can go 100 yards with you mouth closed, breathing only through your nose.  If you're huffing and puffing so you must have your mouth open, then walk for a minute and get your heart rate and breathing relaxed.  It's January, we still have plenty of time, go easy! but go often.

Good you have your race picked out.  Just to be clear, did you register for the triathlon last year?  When was your shoulder injury?

Regarding your knee pain, have you had a bike fitting?  A good bike fitter will take some measurements and perhaps move the cleat on your shoe or move your saddle, etc.  Or may recommend a different type of pedal and cleat.  I recommend looking into this before you resume any long rides.  There are many triathlon things on which you can spend money, and a professional bike fitting can be expensive, but it's a good investment.  A proper fitting will gain you "free speed" by allowing you to generate more watts in a more comfortable position, and should prevent your knee pain from coming back.  

If you bought your bike from a local bike shop, I recommend going back there first.  They should at least give you a quick look and seat position adjustment for free.  They may offer you a discount on a fully measured fitting.  Go now, during their quiet season, don't wait until spring when they're busy.

Bill

2012-01-03 6:06 PM

Alameda

Hello Bill,

My name is Pierre and I would like to join your group. I am a new triathlete working to my first sprint on Tax Day! I am 53 and have been active most of my life until 2009. I got sick and was down for more than 9 months. Then as I got healthy I ate everything in sight and swelled to 240+. Last summer I looked in the mirror and didn’t like what I saw.

Time to get back on track. I have always been a runner but being so heavy the Doc started me walking. I was bored so I started cycling. After losing 25 lbs I started jogging lost few lbs. and am at 208 on track to my goal of 190 by the sprint.

I have can run a 5K in 27 min my longest run to date is a 10k. Running came back very fast, cycling 25 miles in 1:40. I started swimming three weeks ago and it’s the hardest thing I have ever done. I can’t swim 250 yards without stopping.  I am starting Sara Mclarty learning to swim plan this week. I found it on the BT site.

My short term goal is to complete the Sprint in April of this year (no time limit) long term is to do an Olympic before I am 55.

I am so excited to have health goals again! I look forward to any advice you have and are willing to part with. What a great sport where the participants are excited for and help each other.

Thanks Again,

Pierre

2012-01-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3969254

User image

Veteran

Hi Pierre,

Congratulations on your progress!  Yes, welcome to our crew!

I understand you have a sprint race planned for April.  Yes, sounds like you've got the run, you're working on the bike, and the swim will be a challenge.  

You said you've already started swimming, excellent.  Do you have access to swim coaching?  Learning good technique, as you build fitness is key.  You want to groove good habits early.

The good news is in a sprint the swim is reasonably short and feeling apprehensive is normal.  Swimming has a fast learning curve.  After 5 workouts you're much better.  After 5 more you're better still.  After 10 more, you're still improving.  You have enough time between now and April to build to being able to swim non-stop.  Be patient, the results will come.  In fact, you might record your time of your fastest 50 yards (or meters) now, so you can enjoy seeing your progress just two weeks from now.  How long is the swim leg of your event?  500 meters?  600 meters?

Are you familiar with the course of your planned event?  1. How hilly is the bike course?  2. Let's be sure your bike is geared appropriately?  Climbing hills is a matter of weight to power ratio, so it's harder for heavier folks.  Low gears really help.  I saw you're from Alameda.  California?  So I'm thinking of Marin County and the hills in San Francisco and I'm imagining a triathlon out there could have a hilly bike course.

You've made great progress toward your weight loss so I'm going to assume you're educated on good nutrition.  And/or you're starving yourself!  Just kidding.  

At this point in your training you need to be doing frequent, slow runs, easy pace, "zone 2" heart rate, conversation pace.  This has several benefits: 1. you're building your endurance, without stressing your joints and without getting your muscles so sore you miss workouts, 2. the pace is in the aerobic zone where your body is using oxygen and burning a higher ratio of fat than carbs, which is key for weight loss, and 3. exercise revs up your metabolism so even sitting at your desk 3 to 4 hours after a workout your body will be on slightly faster "idle", burning more calories and you'll feel just a little more energized, but importantly you're burning more calories.  It raises your base metabolic rate.  So it gets easier to loose weight - assuming you're eating healthy food in proper quantities.

Pierre, you're on the right path.  I look forward to hearing more about your successes and discussing the bumps in the road.  

Bill

2012-01-03 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3968918

New user

Thanks for having me! I hear ya on the occasional sleepless nights, teething city here lately. This will be my first triathlon.  Swimming will need lots of work and will be my area to focus on.  My gym has a full size pool and several spin bikes.  Cycling experience limited to mountain biking quite a few yrs back but overall I should be okay with training.  My gym has a tri swim club that meets a couple days a wk so will def check it out.

2012-01-03 10:11 PM

HI

I am 38 live in Washington and I would like to do a tri in may. I want to do this to lose weight, be motivated, stay healthy and have fun.

I have a gym membership and friends there but they dont want to do a triathalon, I have one friend who likes running and annother who likes cycling.

I am a good swimmer, ok at cycling and terrible at running. I like doing the different sports and prefer the tri compared to a half marathon. I have done super sprints and 2 sprints. May is sprint distance. I would like to build up to olympic distance.

May I join your group?

Sincerely,

Jen

2012-01-03 10:12 PM

User image

Regular
San Jose, CA

Hi Bill!

My name is Sandy and I am returning to triathlon after an 8 year lay off! I'm 41 (almost 42) and have completed a total of 3 Oly distance tris and several sprint tris, mostly back in my 20s with my last Oly distance in 2004. In my late 20s-30s I battled injury after injury and bad medical luck after medical luck...in the last 10 years I've had my appendix out, bilateral fasciotomies for compartment syndrome in both lower legs, knee surgery, gave birth to my wonderful son after a horrendous pregnancy (one is enough), had my gall bladder out, and, most recently had emergency heart bypass surgery on 3/25/10 for an extremely rare coronary artery anomaly. Oh, I also just had my tonsils out in September!

Needless to say it's been difficult to get in any sort of consistency but since my heart surgery I've been fairly consistent and just need to push myself with my running a bit more. I'm especially interested in learning to train with HR zones but because of  my condition (I was only born with a single coronary artery) my HR tends to run hire than it should even at my fitness level. I'm a former collegiate volleyball player and have always been athletic but now I'd like to focus on losing weight and completing the San Jose Metro Sprint Triathlon in April 2012. I'm also racing to support Team Ironheart that I am a member of (we raise awareness for congenital heart defects by participating in various events).

2012-01-03 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3969726

User image

Veteran

Hi Jen,

Yes, welcome aboard!  

Wow, a swimmer!  Good on you.  The good news for you is you'll have a head start.  Now let's talk about getting you good at running.  I heard you state you've done a couple of sprints.  In preparing for those events, how have you done your running training?  Do you keep a record or log of your miles or hours run?  Do you have a good idea of what pace in minutes per mile you run in training? in races?  Have you used a heart rate monitor?

My immediate suggestion, as with many others, is now is the season for doing lots of short, easy pace runs.  You mentioned your friend who likes to run, is he/she "fast"?  Can y'all run together and do an easy pace run?  Ideal will be 35 to 50 minutes, at a conversational pace.  This should feel "too easy".  No soreness the next day.  And see how many times per week you can do.  1 long, 1 medium, and 2 or 3 short runs.  Lots of frequency, 3 or 4 or 5 runs per week, but all at easy pace.  

Bill

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's Aye! Aye! Tri Crew - FULL - this ship has left the dock! Rss Feed  

of 7