Garden Spot Village
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 13m 51s
Overall Rank = 569/606
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 34/36
Pre-race routine:

Up early for the two hour drive to New Holland. Skipped regular homemade eggs, and got a low-fiber sheetz egg and cheese biscuit on the drive.
Event warmup:

Not much to speak of. I count the brisk walk from the car to the start, and the shivering while standing around in the cold.
Run
  • 3h 13m 51s
  • 13.24 miles
  • 14m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt strong the whole way through. This was a vast improvement over my first half-marathon, less than three months ago, at Disneyworld. I had no doubts about finishing, and as I got closer to the end, I realized my time was vastly improved and I shot for a 45 minute gain. I fell short by a few seconds, but I had a fantastic race. I did make my 3:15 goal.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't "carbo-load" as much the day before. I probably overdid that a bit, especially since I've been in weight loss mode. Two days after the race, I'm weighing in 5 pounds heavier than 3 days before the race. I'm actually glad to be back to my high-fiber, calorie restricted routine as of Monday morning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit, tried to stay warm. Enjoyed great post-race amenities. Had a very needed massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Today, nothing. I always say weight. Well, that's true. But losing over 25 pounds since the last half-marathon, and feeling confident and strong, I can say that on March 31, I ran to my fullest potential available on that day. I will get faster. But I have no "regrets" about this race. I felt great and gave it a true effort.

Event comments:

It's only in its fourth year, but this is a wonderful, well-run event. They seamlessly handle a full, half and relay on the same course. The community clearly has great love for the event and the organization it supports.

Access to showers, a pool, and a hot tub post-race are the gu on the honey stinger waffle. (That's my sad attempt to re-do icing on the cake for endurance athletes.)

I had my first post-race massage at this event.

If they keep it on a Saturday, I hope to return each year. I may make this my first full marathon some day.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
03:13:51 | 13.24 miles | 14m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/36
Overall: 36/606
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful rolling hills in Amish country. So many people were out to watch what my wife called "The English Parade." Lots of dogs along the way, all of them well-behaved.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-02 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Garden Spot Village Half Marathon

2012-04-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4124249

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Garden Spot Village Half Marathon
Great job man and Congrats!! great improvement from your last race and no doubt you will continue to make great progress throughout the year. Next up....EAGLEMAN!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Garden Spot Village Half Marathon Rss Feed