of 16

2012-04-02 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Team KiterChick - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: KiterChick/Sarah

STORY: I'm a 34 year old scientist from Boston, MA. I started distance running several years ago, but after a number of marathons, decided I wanted to transition to triathlons in 2011. I started with shorter distances, but worked up to two HIMs. I'm signed up for my first full in 2012 and am very excited!

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I took it relatively easy over the winter, but have started with a coach and am now ramping up my training schedule. I'm currently putting in 5-10 hours/week, although that will definitely be rising as the season progresses.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I just did the Gator Olympic Triathlon in FL last month. It was a good warmup for the local season here in New England, which hasn't started yet.

2012 RACES:  Season Opener sprint (5/13), Title 9 Escape the Cape sprint (6/3), Patriot HIM (6/16), MA State Olympic (7/14), Timberman HIM (8/19) and Rev3 Cedar Point IM (9/9)

WEIGHTLOSS: I put on about 10lbs during the winter, so I'd like to drop that to get back to race weight. Should happen naturally as training volume increases.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I had a mentor group here the past few months, and it was a lot of fun having like minded people to check in with. I hope to have some of them return, but it would also be fun to share my experiences with some new people as well. I hope that my combination of being a relative newbie to the sport myself, as well as my experience to date, will translate into a mentor that can help, but also empathize, with the issues that all of us face.

Edited by KiterChick 2012-04-06 8:57 AM

2012-04-03 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4124586

User image

Veteran
Tampa
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - OPEN

Hi Sarah, happy to see your group is open. I would like to join\. I'll post my full info later today

Sebastian

2012-04-03 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

I'm sorry Sebastian, I just don't think there's going to be room for you this time. Just kidding, of course it's good to have you back!

Good call on the repost of the bio too. It would be helpful if even returning members could post these, as we will be having some new people join who haven't had the pleasure of getting to know everyone over the past few months like we have. I'm really looking forward to this installment, since the season will be starting to kick into full swing soon!

2012-04-03 12:21 PM

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA

Hi Sarah- Please count me in as well.

Name: williemc432/Will

Story: I am a 36 year-old accountant in the Boston area and about to start my second full season of triathlons.  One day I was in a bar in France that was showing a stage of the Tour, and I have been hooked on bikes ever since.  Bikes led to running, which led to triathlon.  My goal is purely to stay in shape and have lots of fun.

Family Status: I am married to a wonderful woman who puts up with my crazy training habits, and have 2.5 yr old daughter.

Current Training: I have just come off a half marathon (two weeks ago) and am starting to increase my training for the summer.  I have been working with a CTS coach for the past year as I ramp up from limited running/swimming traithlon base (starting at zero about 18 months ago).  My usual weeks are 4-7+ hours of training with a focus on Sprint/Oly races. 

Planned 2012 Races: Escape the Cape sprint (6/2); Cohasset Sprint (6/24); MA State Olympic (7/14); Xterra Stoaked short course (8/11); Cranberry oly (8/26); 

I am toying with the idea of backing out of the Cranberry Oly and looking for a late August/early September HIM, but I am not sold on that idea yet.  I have to make that decision soon though as registrations for Cranberry will fill up.

Weightloss: Not a big of issue with me currently.  As of this morning I am a svelt 156.6 which is a few pounds above my goal range of 150 - 155.  To be fair, I have not been 150 in over a decade, so I am not sure it would be a good look for me.

2012-04-03 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Sarah, I'd like to re-join if you'll let me. I'll post my full bio tonight when I'm not typing on my phone and have access to a computer.

Beth.
2012-04-03 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi Will, welcome back! Beth, of course you're welcome to rejoin. It would be nice if all of us who have been writing over the past few months continue to stick together since we've all gotten to know each other over this time.

Meanwhile, in workout related news, I'm finally hitting the point where I have to occasionally wake up in the 5:30AM range to fit in everything I need to do before work. Unfortunately, today I got a bit lazy, slept in until 6:45 and just did my run, which means I still have to hit the trainer tonight. I have plans after work tomorrow though, and a run and swim on the schedule, so no excuses then. It will be nice when it's not dark in the morning though. I'll be breaking out the yellow vest for the run tomorrow for sure.

2012-04-03 2:42 PM

New user

Riverside

Sarah - I'm new to triathlon and would like to join your group if you've got the space.

Name: Kate

Story: I'm a 32-year-old non-profit worker living outside Chicago.  I've never been athletic, but I started exercising regularly about 2 years ago, and began running several months ago.  I've done a few races and had a great time, and I'm looking to improve my fitness while giving myself a challenge and keeping my workouts interesting. (And it will be a challenge - especially since I neither own nor know how to ride a bike).

Family status: Married last September to a great guy, we've got two dogs and four cats - no kids

Current training: About 5-7 hours total: weights a couple of times a week, run 3-4 times a week, swimming twice a week

Planned 2012 Races: A couple of 5Ks this spring, Champion's Run 10K (8/11), Prairie State 1/2 Marathon (10/6), RexPlex Indoor/Outdoor Triathlon (my first triathlon) (10/14)

Weight-loss: Not a big thing for me right now - I'm petite and weight about 118 or so.  Would like to weigh closer to 110, but I'm more interested in gaining strength and increasing my endurance.

2012-04-03 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Hi Kate, you're definitely welcome to join the group! Sounds like you're starting to build up a decent base, except perhaps for the bike. I just started biking myself in the fall of 2010. Prior to that, I hadn't been on a bike since high school. It's since become my best leg, so don't get too discouraged before you start. Meanwhile, feel free to ask any questions you may have. Happy to have you!
2012-04-03 4:58 PM

User image

New user

Kansas City

Hi Sarah - I'm also new to triathlon and would like to join your group if there is room. I need the group dynamic to keep posting my workouts, because I'm pretty inconsistent on that front.

Name: Holly

Story: I'm a 32-year-old IT auditor for a healthcare system and I live in Kansas City, MO. I am pretty athletic; I grew up playing sports, but I have a tendency to get lazy when I get busy with work. I volunteered as a bike marshal for a local women's only sprint tri last summer and thought, "that looks like fun". I joined a local tri club, signed up for 3 women only sprint tris this summer, and bought a bike. So this is happening; no more getting lazy.

Family status: Married, no kids, 2 dogs. Husband and I own a doggy day care & kennel facility that he runs - a fun job for a former CPA.

Current training: I'm trying to follow a training plan for a "fit beginner". I swim 1-2x/week, run 2-3x/week and bike 3x/week, but have got to get it more structured since I'm so inconsistent. I'd really like to learn to train using my heart monitor. 

Planned 2012 Races: Omaha Women's Sprint Tri (6/3), Win4KC Tri - sprint (7/28), and Olathe Women's Tri - sprint (9/8). I'll probably run a few 5Ks and maybe something longer. In the winter we'll make a trip out of a half marathon somewhere warm with friends.

Weight-loss: Nah. I'd like to start strength training and get stronger.

Personal goals: Someday a HIM could be fun. I just bought and LOVE my road bike - I'd like to be more comfortable riding it outside than I currently am. I look forward to reading about other group members' experiences and training.

2012-04-03 7:48 PM

User image

Starbuck, MN

Edited by blbenson 2012-04-04 8:42 AM
2012-04-03 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran

Finally got my bio up and ready.....

Name: Hubbie / Beth

Story: I am a paramedic in Ottumwa Iowa. We are the county EMS system so we cover a rather large area. I’ve been running for years but three years ago I started doing races, last year I got into triathlons and this year I’m really hitting it hard. So far with two years tally I have two 20k runs, 2 half marathons, 1 full marathon, 1 Sprint triathlon, and 3 Olympic triathlon. This year I have my eyes on a few Olympic triathlons and in July I’ll be attempting my first HIM!

Family Status: I’m a single mother with really no desire to be in a committed relationship. My four year old son gives me all the love and affection I want at this point in my life. Of course I’m always open to collecting more friends!

Current Training: Right now I’m doing about 8 hours a week; however I’m sure that will increase as the season gets going and my HIM draws closer. That being said when school is out for Spring Break and Summer Break my training is very limited so I make the most of what time I do have.

Planned 2012 Races: I have a half marathon, The Drake Games, coming up at the end of the month. An Oly in June, HIM in July, possibly another Oly in August, my A race The Hy-Vee Olympic Triathlon in September, a marathon in October and an extreme off road race in November .

Weightloss: I’m an Athena right now, while I have dropped quite a few pounds in the past month I’m no where near loosing my Fat Girl status. In a way I actually prefer to be a larger person, I LOVE the looks on peoples faces when they find out that I do triathlons and marathons.

On the training front I actually had a great day. When I got to the gym I really did not want to be there let alone lift weights then go for a swim. However once I got going in the weight room I was really enjoying myself. I pushed myself to critical failure on the pecs and came withing about 2 inches of dropping 105 pounds of iron on my chest. Maybe its just me but I love to feel my body being pushed to the edge like that.

In the pool it got crowded quickly and even with people sharing lanes there were people waiting so I cut my swim short. But I did manage to get in a good workout and covered about a half mile at close to race pace.

Glad to see some of the old people here and also glad to see some new faces. Have a good night everyone!

Beth

Edited by Hubbie 2012-04-03 8:21 PM

2012-04-03 8:45 PM

User image

Concord, NH
Hi Sarah,

If you'll have me in your group is love to join if for no other reason than the geographic proximity! I hope you'll have me!!

NAME: NHTri/Mitch

STORY: I'm a 27 year old attorney in Concord, NH. I've done a few 5ks in the past but got hooked in after watching a friend complete the Timberman HIM last year. Goal is to complete my first tri, the Timberman Sprint here in NH in August, two weeks after I turn 28.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (to another attorney...oh the arguments

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I do a bootcamp 4 days per week (been going for about 10 months) and spin class 1 day per week (about 11 weeks now). Planning to switch up a bit to incorporate swimming in the near future.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I've signed up for a local 5k race series along with a few random races as well. The Timberman Sprint is my first tri goal (Aug) and I'm also signed up for a Warrior Dash in September.

2012 RACES: TBD and Timberman Sprint (8/18)

WEIGHTLOSS: I've plateaued at 170lbs for the last 6 months or so but would love to drop 5lbs or at least lean down a bit more.
2012-04-03 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks

Name: Handy Hammer / Dave

Story: I am 33 years old real estate investor from Tulsa, OK.   Currently training to join the Tulsa Fire Department.   My wife and I coach a Jr. High track team.  Started running adventure races in 06.   Found that it was to hard to keep a commited team together and thought triathlons looked like fun.   I enjoy the olympic distance and HIM are my favorite distances, with a full to come in 2013.   

Family Status: Married to a wife that is hard to beat.  Kids 3 and 5. 5 yr old wants to race this year. 

Current Training: I lifted through the winter and added about 8 lbs of muscle.   Just kicked off my official training plan two and a half weeks ago.   Training will really start to ramp up this month.  

2012 Races: Spring fever sprint (april) Will Rogers sprint (May) El Reno Oly (june) either Joplin or dallas late June.   Grape vine Super sprint (july).   f3 sprint( Aug), Redman Oly age group regionals (sept).   Jenks super sprint (Oct).

2012 Goals: 3 top ten finishes overall, win AG at one event, Qualify for AG regionals, finish OLY in under 2hrs:15min.

Weightloss:  I will drop about 4 to 6 lbs for ideal race weight.   

2012-04-04 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa

OK, here we go Bio is updated

NAME: sebaf74/Sebastian

STORY: Married with a wonderful woman that understands the requirements of training, and with a 6-year-old daughter. I live in Tampa and work in consulting. I was a competitive swimmer in my teens and started doing triathlons a year ago when I decided to get back in shape. I have done a couple of sprints, a duathlon, some road and trail races and open water races and swim meets. Now I am moving into longer distances.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been preparing for one of my 2 A races this year, St. Anthony's, which is an OLY on April 29. Been training 8-11 hours a week and recently focusing more on my run, since it's my weakest discipline. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Besides St. Anthony's, my other A race is the Rev 3 half on October 28, which will be held in Venice Sarasota. Of course, in between these 2 I will do some shorter stuff and some sport-specific races, including a 2.4 mile open water swim on May 5. 

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight has been pretty stable in the last 3-4 months (I lost about 5 lbs), but before that I lost 60 lbs in the previous 10 months or so. Right now my body fat is roughly in a 12-15% range. I will get this remeasured in June or July. If possible, I would love to hit 10%!

2012-04-04 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone, busy morning! I started it off with a short 4M run, then headed over to the pool for what I thought was 2000 yards. I usually hit the pool near work, but went to the one closer to my apartment, and noticed that my pace was consistently 10-15 seconds off for all my sets. May have just found out the hard way that this particular pool is 25 meters, rather than yards! A bit of extra exercise isn't a bad thing though, and I'll adjust for it in the future...

Beth and Sebastian - Thanks for the updated bios!

Holly, Mitch and Dave - You're all definitely welcome to join the group. I figure I'll take on about 10 new people, and currently we have four, so you've definitely made the cut!

Holly - I did a women's only sprint last year too, and plan to do another this year. Glad you're enjoying your new bike! Is there a particular aspect of outdoor riding that makes you uncomfortable? Regardless, the more time you spend outside, the more comfortable you'll become.

Mitch - I'm dating an attorney, so I won't hold it against you! Seriously though, Timberman was actually my first HIM last year, so I was there too. I'm signed up again this year, since I thought it was a great race. Given the venue, I bet the sprint is a lot of fun too.

Dave - Looks like you have a pretty solid race schedule lined up already. A lot of ambitious goals too, which is good. Will be nice to hear how things progress!

2012-04-04 10:17 AM

Would like to join the group...

Name: Roxanne

Story: veterinarian with very little athletic background. Swam a 1.2 lake swim for charity 3 years ago, started running last summer and completed my first 5K last Aug.

Family: Happily married for 22 years, husband is very supportive, but is currently a coach potato.

Current Training :I am enrolled in a 12 week tri coaching class at my local YMCA. Currently on week 8. Train 5- 6 days a week.

Planned races- First sprint tri is on April 29 (indoor swim) at the Ymca "Tri for  the Y" Then am signed up for the Musselman Sprint in July 2012.

Weight Journey: Have been on WW for the last 1 1/2 years, follow a high raw vegan diet. Have shed 30 lbs and am trying out maintenance

2012-04-04 10:53 AM

User image

New user

Hi All!  I'm looking to join an experienced group that can help me with my first triathlon in August.  Would love to join if you don't mind a newbie.

NAME: Shannon

STORY: I'm a 36 year old adventure junky from West Virginia. I'm big on outdoor sports and came across a Beginner Triathlon in August close to home and thought I would give it a try.  I have NO experience so could use the help as to best way to get started and what to expect. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single mommy of a 7 year old son and 12 week old puppy.

CURRENT TRAINING: New so just starting to train (run/bike/kayak).  My workouts have been elliptical or spin bike several times a week.  I'm able to run at lunch time but other then that my workouts will be homebound.  I could use some pointers.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None on record

2012 RACES:  Thurmond Beginner Triathlon (8/5)

WEIGHTLOSS: I would love to drop 40 pounds but the scale doesn't like me and we fight all the time.

2012-04-04 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Ouch! Work just threw a huge monkey wrench in my plan. Now I have to travel to Japan next week. I leave Monday for a meeting in Chicago, stay the night and fly to Tokyo Tuesday, getting there Wednesday afternoon and leaving Friday. Next week was when I was planning to start my peak, continuing the following week and then easing off the week of the race. 

Now I am in trouble, I could try to get all the workouts in using hotel facilities, but I am thinking that I am going to be tired from traveling and therefore it will be hard to get quality workouts in. What do you think I should do? HTFU or wait and see how I feel and get in those workouts where I feel I can get the most out of?

I have been to Tokyo before for 3 nights and the jet lag killed me. If I remember correctly I slept a grand total of 9 hours across the 3 nights

Sebastian

2012-04-04 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
If this group is still taking members I would love to join. Will post bio later if that is OK.
2012-04-04 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4130840

User image

Veteran
jenks

I vote for Eddie,   glad to see you joining in.  

2012-04-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4130179

User image

Got a nice 5 mile run in during lunch today- it is so nice to be able to wear shorts and a short-sleeve shirt,  I love the spring in New England.

Sebastian- all I can say is wow!  I would probably try and do what I could while at the hotel, especially in Chicago; I think Japan is a tougher call- I am horrible at flying west and getting jet lagged- so my workouts probably wouldn't have a lot of quality to them.  In that case, I might just shoot for shorter, more intense efforts. Then again, I haven't traveled much in about seven years, and I was a drinking/smoking/out-of-shape mess, so what do I know?  Good luck.

Will

2012-04-04 9:40 PM

User image

Concord, NH
I'm curious if or what everyone is using for tracking of workouts. Is the BT system worthwhile or are others using something else?
2012-04-04 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4131033

User image

NHtri - 2012-04-04 10:40 PM I'm curious if or what everyone is using for tracking of workouts. Is the BT system worthwhile or are others using something else?

I use the BT site for tracking my workouts- I think it is great from a summary standpoint for looking where I am week to week, month to month, sort of a score keeper for me.  If you use any of the BT training plans, you can look at what is planned, what you have actually done, and compare.  The other great thing about using BT is that other people can see your workouts, so if you have any questions about your training, people can take a look at your logs and see where you are at. 

For analysis purpose, I use Training Peaks.  I find that I can look more in-depth at a workout and I love the Map and Graph function on the workouts.  I just wish it was easier to upload swimming workouts with the Garmin 910.  But before TP, I used BT without any issues.

Will

2012-04-05 6:44 AM

Room for one more??? I would love to join this group.

NAME: Kim/kimjdean

STORY: I'm 36 and looking to get my butt in gear after an 8 year triathlon hiatus.I've only ever competed in sprints but have plans for some longer distances this summer. I have a video production company in NC, I have a goofball husband and two co-dependent kids so I'm trying to carve out time for training. I feel like I need some guidance and advice getting back into the game.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two munchkins (5 and 2)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm efforting about 10 hours a week

2012 RACES:  White Lake Sprint (5/6) Kerr Lake? White Lake Olympic distance?

WEIGHTLOSS: would love to shave off about 5 pounds

Thanks!

2012-04-05 7:33 AM

User image

Nottingham, England

Hi Sarah, I'm not sure whether you would consider having a major beginner in your group but I'd love to join your group if poss.

Name: lucylou77 / Amanda 

Story: I am a 35 year old complete exercise novice. I am currently a student working towards becoming a Paramedic here in the UK. I live in Nottingham (where Robin Hood comes from) which is kinda in the centre of England. I separated from my husband of 10 years last May and I am now in a wonderful, loving, caring and supportive relationship with a fellow triathlete - it was the inspiration I got from him that made me realise that I could achieve great physical fitness but only if I wanted it. Just after Christmas I decided that I no longer wanted to be built for comfort, that I wanted to try and lose a lot of weight and get fit. I started using an elliptical trainer then 8 weeks ago I began the Couch to 5K training plan and have gone from running in 1 min intervals to running 5K in 36 mins straight, with no break, within the 8 weeks - which has absolutely astounded me!! I have also lost approx 48 lbs since Christmas which means at present I am the lightest I have ever been in adulthood!! Although I am only running at present I am hoping to be able to complete a Duathlon in October and maybe progress into tri's by next year - we'll see!!

Family Status: Separated (soon to be divorced) but in a wonderful, loving, caring and supportive relationship with a fellow triathlete. Children - none (unless you count my 2 gorgeous lil' guinea pigs!! haha)

Current Training: Couch to 5K training plan. Currently running 5K 4-5 times a week.

Planned 2012 Races: Race for Life 5K in June & August (for Cancer Research UK). Duathlon in October

Weight Loss: Since Christmas 2011 I have lost approx 48lbs, gone down 3 dress sizes (which is becoming expensive in the clothing dept esp for a student!!) and hope to lose a further 40lbs before my Duathlon.

Personal Goals: Lose weight. Run the Race for Life 5K in 30 mins. Complete the Duathlon in October. Get through my divorce unscathed!! Continue to prove to myself that I can achieve great physical fitness if I keep pushing myself. Stay injury/sickness free (unlike at the moment - I have a chest cold and cant do any running which is driving me CRAZY!!! LOL)

I hope that I can join your group Sarah. I love hearing about other peoples achievements as it pushes me and inspires me to move forward with my physical fitness. You and the people that are part of your group are already great athletes, something which one day I truly hope to become.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16