BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriPatrick's group of support- closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2012-04-04 8:47 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Subject: TriPatrick's group of support- closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now!

NAME: TriPatrick/PatrickSTORY: I am a PE teacher in Conroe Texas, looking to further my education.

FAMILY: I am happily married for 6 years with 2 kids ages 5 and almost 2 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am in the middle of my peak build for IMTX for my second year. I am just looking to improve from last year, but I want to knock on Kona's door.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: IMTX, and most likely longhorn HIM in October with a few sprint and Oly over the summer.

2012 RACES:  I am looking to gain speed and power to gt me to the Kona's/Vegas level!

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost close to 60 pounds since I started multi sport training a few years back.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am not the know it all person of triathlon's, but rather a person who who works hard and gets results. I never thought I could be competitive, but I seem to always find myself at the top of the stats. My moto has always been, " doing something is better than doing noting"! Some people think you need to train as a pro to get results, but they get burned out before even attempting to do a race.  Consistent work will pay off

Edited by TriPatrick 2012-04-28 2:23 PM

2012-04-17 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4130942

New user

Greenacres, WA
Subject: RE: TriPatrick's group of support- OPEN!

TriPatrick,

I am interested in joining your mentoring group.  I am a first time Sprint Triathlon participant to be held in August in Medical Lake, WA.  I have always beens active and of the three sports, I am best on the bike.  I started training about 2 weeks ago and realize I need people to keep me motivated.  We are new to the Spokane, WA area so I haven't really met anyone to train with.  I count on a few friends back in Atlanta to keep me going (I know it's only been 2 weeks....pretty bad, huh?).  I noticed you're a Texan and since I was raised in Austin, I immediately had a bond with you  Can you please help?

Thank you......Barbara

2012-04-18 8:34 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

lets go!  I am the same way as you.  I train by myself, but I look to forums for advice and to read what is going on.  I will look at your logs during my next break and give you more information/

Be prepared to have fun with tri's!

2012-04-19 8:42 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
You have plenty of time to finish your race comfortable. Are you following a plan or just going as you feel right now. Two weeks into training is the best time enjoy what you are doing and get good doing it.
2012-04-20 6:45 PM

New user
San Diego

TriPatrick, I'd also like to join your group. I'm also a teacher- geography, high school, and have an almost-2 year old little girl. My biggest challenge so far is finding the time! I'd like to do an Olympic distance tri in August, but right now it's a struggle to get onto a regular workout schedule. Think you could help?

Thanks!

M.I.T.

2012-04-21 9:39 PM

I'd like to get in on this too if possible.

Name: Eric. I'm a petroleum engineer in the DFW area. 26 years old. I've always enjoyed athletic activities and played pretty much every sport growing up. Unfortunately I've never been particularly good at any of them. I used to consider myself more of a cyclist and rode with the college team (not on, just with) for 2 years in school until I got involved in the fraternity and started drinking beer more than riding bikes. Now I just consider myself someone that just enjoys doing things outside.

FAMILY: Married for almost 4 years to my high school sweetheart. We're having our first baby in late July.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last summer I was fed up with being fat and out of shape and had a friend encouraged me to do a half marathon. I never had run before and that seemed like an impossible goal. I started slow and did the 12 week beginner program over about 6 months but ran the 3M half marathon in Austin this past January. I had some problems with my feet after running the half (which seems to be good and healed now) so I started swimming and riding my bike. Which inspired me to buy a new road bike that I've been enjoying the heck out of. I've been following the 16 week olympic plan on this site for a couple months now. Or pretty close at least. I've had to travel some lately which has messed with my training but I'm working at it.

2012 RACES: Doing my first triathlon next weekend! It's a shorter sprint with a 400yd pool swim. Also planning to do the sprint at Captex in Austin on Memorial day and then I'd like to do the Olympic at the Toyota cup race in Rockwall/Dallas in October. Long term I'd like to do a Half Iron in 2013. Baby stuff will likely dictate how this goes. To be honest, I have no idea what to expect!

WEIGHT LOSS: When I started running I was 225-230. Currently down to 205 but been floating in the 205 range for a while. Would really like to get down to <180 but I like to eat, and enjoy beer and red wine. I think for me the key is really portions and eating what I know is right but I struggle with it. Also, I really enjoy sweets

2012-04-23 8:00 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

Welcome M.I.T and loonatic!

I am sorry for being a little slow right now, but I have had a sick kid and I am peaking for my IM race in May. 

We all need to feed off each others energy right now.  Reading what you have written so far is helping me out more than you know.  I can not wait here about loonatics race next weekend while we get everyone else ready for races!

I will get back to each person today.  Have a great day!

2012-04-23 8:55 AM

New user
San Diego

ooh, let me edit that in the format with all the details:

NAME: Mom's In Training/ Allyn

STORY: Turning 30 in July, I've been a recreational runner on and off, but work and life got busy. After my daughter was born, I was hit extremely hard by post-partum depression. It took me awhile to get motivated to exercise, but exercise is one of the best ways to keep depression away, so I thought of signing up for a few events as a goal to work towards. I did my first tri last year- a mini-sprint and my first half-marathon. Both went really well, and I'm excited for tri-season!

FAMILY: Married for 5 years (together for 12), one adorable daughter, 21 months. Husband is more into the motorcycles than the bicycles, but he'll make a good cheer squad instead of a training partner.

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting up with the 16 wk Oly distance 2x plan today! (and trying to work some core strength training into it)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A mini-sprint May 6th, a mini-sprint May 20th (ocean swim) and my mom's doing her first duathlon with me at this event, and and an Olympic distance in mid-August. I'd like to think about another half marathon, but we'll see how time and money pans out right now...

WEIGHT LOSS: Since getting back into shape after having the baby, I'm 14 lbs lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight! Ideally I could stand to lose around 5 more lbs, but I'm less concerned about the number and would rather get toned and a stronger core.

2012-04-23 8:30 PM

Is it too late for me to join too?

Here's some background for me

NAME: Darlyngirl/Darlene (sorry Mom's in Training- I almost feel like I am stealing your post because we seem to have a lot in common )

STORY: Turning 30 in October. I've been running on and off for about 5 years now. I did a 16km race about 3 years ago and loved it.  I've never been a fast runner- I do it more for enjoyment and relaxation (turn brain off). I had a son 11 months ago (running the same 16km this year on his birthday May 21) and have also had some post-partum depression but got back to diet and exercise in January and am back up to running 13km.

FAMILY: Married for 2 years, an 11 month old son.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training is somewhat limited as I need to be at the gym to get childcare which limits my outdoor activities. I current get in 2 outside runs a week (a shorter 6-8k and a longer run which I am constantly increasing- currently at 13km). I do step class and weight lifting classes twice a week, an aerobics class twice a week, and a 75 minute spin class once a week. I just decided to do a tri and will be switching my aerobics classes for spinning classes or solo bike riding in the gym (I would prefer to do the classes but I don't know if I need to bike alone for some reason?). Until my 16km (one month) I will need to keep my two outside days to running but may try to buddy them with some swimming a couple times a week, and outdoor cycling to and from the pool (7.5km) and work on doing a longer cycle after the pool.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 16km May 21 (it's a road race between two small towns). My olympic tri on July 21. For a lot of detail you can read here (http://www.bluewatertriathlon.ca/bluewater-triathlon-and/olympic-distance-triathlon.html) but it's a parallel shore swim in the calm lake (about 70degree F that time of year), a flat bike on paved, low-traffic roads, and a fairly flat 10km

WEIGHT LOSS: I've lost 34lbs since Jan 1, but still have about another 50lbs to go(long sorry but yes it sucks)

I really want to do this but I'm a little scared. I do tend to jump into the deep end of things, the first race I ever did was my last 16km but I know I would feel so accomplished if I could even just finish.

Edited by darlyngirl 2012-04-23 8:32 PM
2012-04-23 9:46 PM

Hi Patrick,

I would like to join your group too if it's not too late to get in on the spring training! 

Name:  Sonya

Story:  I am a 40-something year old who just started running in 2010, and have fallen in love with training.  I bought my first decent bike this past January, and want to get involved very badly in the multi-sport arena.  I'm very optimistic in what I can do - what I want to do, but very badly need direction and advice.  I have what seem to be endless "stupid" questions that I let mess with my head, and put fear about going out and entering anything other than running events. 

My friends just aren't in to this kind of thing, so I'm mostly training alone.  I also have a 4-year old so getting good workouts is often a difficult task. 

FAMILY:  I am a single mom with a 4-year old boy.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I run (casually 9.45 pace) about 4 times a week.  My cycling is limited to indoor trainer for most of the time.  I live in Washington state, so between weather and child, it's tough to get much in.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Lots of runs, but hoping to get two Duathlon's in May, and my first Tri in July in Oregon.

WEIGHT:  I've lost about 40 pounds since I first started running (Jan. 2010).

I really look forward to any advice, encouragement, tips, etc.

Edited by runnergirl41 2012-04-23 9:55 PM
2012-04-23 11:09 PM

New user

San Diego
Hello! I am in San Diego, Ca and just starting training. I am in my 8th week of the Olympic 20 2x training program. I am completely hooked but I am a newbie! I would love to join a mentor group. I have always been athletic and becoming a trialthlete is on my bucket list. I am schedule for my first sprint on July 8 and an Olympic on Sept. 8. I am an RN by training, I have a masters in healthcare admin, and I currently work as a marketing director for a hospital. I am married with an 11 yo daughter. My goal is to complete a HIM in 2013!Cathryn

2012-04-23 11:11 PM

New user
San Diego

Darlyngirl, no worries! Glad to see someone in a similar boat and we can problem-solve our challenges together. I love my jogging stroller for shorter runs, but that might be a challenge as I add distance. I just got a bike trailer, but the little one isn't too fond of it yet. That's probably going to be a lot more recreational than training as well.

2012-04-23 11:59 PM

New user
San Diego
I'm rethinking my May 6th race, it's a super-sprint I did last year, and I signed up for the super-sprint again, but I'm wondering if I could switch over to the regular sprint distance... enjoy the short one for transitions, or push myself to get the farther distance? I've only recently been swimming- maybe 4 sessions? And not much quality time on the bike... but my swim sessions have been more than enough distance in open water, so I'm feeling good about that.
2012-04-24 12:11 AM

User image

Master
Denver

I would like to join your group as well Patrick.

NAME: Zev, I am a serial entrepreneur and run  a marketing company now

FAMILY: Single Dad of two girls

CURRENT TRAINING: Spastic bike riding, been involved in a year long recovery from a torn acl in my right knee. Wanting to start P90x and light triathlon training now. I have ZERO running base at this point and have to be very cautious about building up. I will only run on a treadmill or on dirt, no pavement.

I have swum a few times recently and it feels very good. Cycling is almost "normal", I can really push hard but my longest ride so far this year is 35 miles. I did do about a 20 mph pace on the ride and feel good considering I was doing one legged drills (only) last Fall and cycled on a trainer all Winter. I have a goal to ride 2000 miles before the snow comes again...

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Xterra Pueblo 9/9/12 and possibly Xterra Iron Creek 8/17/12

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost about 15-20 pounds back in 2006 when I started triathlon and have kept almost all of it off. I am looking to build more muscle, and not worried about weight loss at all.

Edited by Z-dog 2012-04-24 12:45 AM
2012-04-24 3:15 AM
in reply to: #4168817

Veteran
Honolulu

Aloha TriPatrick,

I'd like to join and make some friends here! 

NAME: Angel

STORY:  Only started participating in sports at age 35 when I began kitesurfing.  This is an extreme sport, but not really as physical as you may think (more mental).  I took up cycling, then swimming, but never ran in my life.  Started running Aug 2011, and did first Sprint Tri Sept 2011.  I have found my passion!

FAMILY: Single, no children.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I work full-time for a law firm so my training is after work or weekends. I am trying periodization training, doing key workouts and resting in between so I can absorb the training.  During the week I do some cardio at the gym followed by high rep light weight lifting to get toned.  Since I've been cycling for years, I devote more of my training on my weaknesses, which is running.  I run about 15 miles/week now. The longest I've ever run is 8 miles.  I've become an adept swimmer and have cut back on that training volume as well.  I don't really enjoy pool swimming and open ocean swimming is hard to do with my work schedule, even though I'm in Hawaii.  Cool

WEIGHT LOSS: I have not lost any weight for 7 months although I've gotten more tone and lost inches.  I would like to lose 10 more pounds but when I try to diet I lose performance, get headaches.  Technically I'm an Athena but I don't feel like one... I come in at the middle or bottom 1/3 of my age group. 

GOALS: Lose the 10 pounds, get a flat stomach, get faster at running (my race pace is 11 min!).  Half Marathon this year, Half Ironman by 2013, IM also on the long term goal bucket list.  Stay fit forever!

Looking foward to getting to know all of you too. 

Edited by HonoluluAngel 2012-06-14 3:01 PM
2012-04-25 9:51 PM

New user

San Diego
Hello! How do I know if I am accepted into this mentoring group? I inquired a few days ago and I am looking forward to the support since I currently train alone.Thanks bunches!Cathryn

2012-04-25 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4168863

New user

San Diego
Hi Angel! My name is Cathryn and I live in San Diego. I just starting training for my first sprint then an Olympic triathlon 7.5 weeks ago. I am doing the Olympic 20 week 2 x balance program. Like you I would like to lose some inches and lbs. I have always been fairly active but has gotten harder to lose the pounds since I am 42!Swimming is my weakest event. Do you have any tips?Nice to meet you!Cathryn
2012-04-25 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4163789

New user

San Diego
Hi MIT, I am in San Diego too! I am scheduled to do the Carlsbad sprint on July 8; I would like to do the SD Olympic in August but it worries me since the bike is mostly uphill! Since you are local I would love to give you some support. I am a marketing director, married, and have an 11 yo daughter.Hope to chat soon!
2012-04-26 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4168811

Master
Montgomery, Tx

momsintraining - 2012-04-23 11:59 PM I'm rethinking my May 6th race, it's a super-sprint I did last year, and I signed up for the super-sprint again, but I'm wondering if I could switch over to the regular sprint distance... enjoy the short one for transitions, or push myself to get the farther distance? I've only recently been swimming- maybe 4 sessions? And not much quality time on the bike... but my swim sessions have been more than enough distance in open water, so I'm feeling good about that.

If you have the confidence then go for it.  The swim is what scares most people away from tri's in general.  Unless it is a very shallow swim you can not fake it like you can a bike or run (walk).  Good Luck!

2012-04-26 9:44 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

If you have responded you are in the group.  It looks like the group is coming alive the last few days.  I have been administering a Texas assesment test to some 3rd graders the last few days so I have not had my usual break at work.  I am in the middle of my peak weak for IMTX so training and rest have been on my mind.  I encourage each of you to "mingle" and look through each others logs. I will try to get a list together with each persons bt name/real name and post it in my logs.  This way you can add them as friends so it is easier to keep up with one another.  Also, read eaach others logs and inspire one another.  It is great to get a "good job" or "suck it up" after some hard workouts or when you have to cut something short due to LIFE. 

BTW- Sometimes what I think and type may not make sence so please ask for clarification on stuff.  It will not hurt my feelings, my wife does it all the time!lol

2012-04-26 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4173658

Master
Montgomery, Tx

cathrynbranch - 2012-04-25 9:55 PMDo you have any tips?

Welcome!

When I started swimming in 08 I could only swim to thew end of the pool then I would walk back to the other end.  I found the 0-1650 swim program and FORCED myself to do it.  I ended up finishing the program and I have been improving ever since then.  I watch you tube videos, read articles, ask questions and I had a friend of mine watch me in the pool a few times.  If I had the extra money I would get a coach for a few times.  The best thing about learning to swim is most people make improvements each time in the pool.  Can you do the workout that is on your plan?  It takes extra time, but if you add each set and times into your logs it is easier to compare data to see improvements.  Even add your percieved exertion.

2012-04-26 10:24 AM

New user
San Diego

Few things... no particular order.

1. I wasn't able to see how to 'friend' people's logs? 

2. TriPatrick- I did call and switched to the longer distance, my training group is holding a mini-tri practice next week, and I'm just out there to have fun anyway, get some base numbers to build on. I've been riding a lot of hills and the bike is flat, so I'm feeling better about that. 

3. Cathryn, not sure where in SD you are, but if you could join us on Mondays at 6pm in Coronado there's a free OWS group with some great mentors that can give you tips. A few people have only recently learned to swim. 

My plan for today is to get a good solid run in after work. 

2012-04-26 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4174568

Master
Montgomery, Tx
momsintraining - 2012-04-26 10:24 AM

Few things... no particular order.

1. I wasn't able to see how to 'friend' people's logs? 

In your training log on the bottom left is a section of friends.  There is a + sign to the right of "friends".  If you click on that you can add people to your friends list.  This way after logging or looking at your logs just click on someones log and it will bring them up. 
2012-04-26 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4168817

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Z-dog - 2012-04-24 12:11 AM

I would like to join your group as well Patrick.

NAME: Zev, I am a serial entrepreneur and run  a marketing company now

FAMILY: Single Dad of two girls

CURRENT TRAINING: Spastic bike riding, been involved in a year long recovery from a torn acl in my right knee. Wanting to start P90x and light triathlon training now. I have ZERO running base at this point and have to be very cautious about building up. I will only run on a treadmill or on dirt, no pavement.

I have swum a few times recently and it feels very good. Cycling is almost "normal", I can really push hard but my longest ride so far this year is 35 miles. I did do about a 20 mph pace on the ride and feel good considering I was doing one legged drills (only) last Fall and cycled on a trainer all Winter. I have a goal to ride 2000 miles before the snow comes again...

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Xterra Pueblo 9/9/12 and possibly Xterra Iron Creek 8/17/12

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost about 15-20 pounds back in 2006 when I started triathlon and have kept almost all of it off. I am looking to build more muscle, and not worried about weight loss at all.

Welcome z-dog! It looks like you have plenty of time to be smart about getting your running fitness back. That is funny you said trainer, because I have an ironman on may 19 and I have ridden outside maybe 5 times this year. I discovered trainer road.com and I have been doing some killer workouts and taking less time from my family by starting rides at 4 am. I personally feel the trainer can be your best friend for a person short on time or wants a specific hard workout.
2012-04-26 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4164906

Master
Montgomery, Tx
loonatic - 2012-04-21 9:39 PM

I'd like to get in on this too if possible.

Name: Eric. I'm a petroleum engineer in the DFW area. 26 years old. I've always enjoyed athletic activities and played pretty much every sport growing up. Unfortunately I've never been particularly good at any of them. I used to consider myself more of a cyclist and rode with the college team (not on, just with) for 2 years in school until I got involved in the fraternity and started drinking beer more than riding bikes. Now I just consider myself someone that just enjoys doing things outside.

FAMILY: Married for almost 4 years to my high school sweetheart. We're having our first baby in late July.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last summer I was fed up with being fat and out of shape and had a friend encouraged me to do a half marathon. I never had run before and that seemed like an impossible goal. I started slow and did the 12 week beginner program over about 6 months but ran the 3M half marathon in Austin this past January. I had some problems with my feet after running the half (which seems to be good and healed now) so I started swimming and riding my bike. Which inspired me to buy a new road bike that I've been enjoying the heck out of. I've been following the 16 week olympic plan on this site for a couple months now. Or pretty close at least. I've had to travel some lately which has messed with my training but I'm working at it.

2012 RACES: Doing my first triathlon next weekend! It's a shorter sprint with a 400yd pool swim. Also planning to do the sprint at Captex in Austin on Memorial day and then I'd like to do the Olympic at the Toyota cup race in Rockwall/Dallas in October. Long term I'd like to do a Half Iron in 2013. Baby stuff will likely dictate how this goes. To be honest, I have no idea what to expect!

WEIGHT LOSS: When I started running I was 225-230. Currently down to 205 but been floating in the 205 range for a while. Would really like to get down to <180 but I like to eat, and enjoy beer and red wine. I think for me the key is really portions and eating what I know is right but I struggle with it. Also, I really enjoy sweets

Congrats on your first kid! I will tell you straight up, when the baby is born do not go back to work until the day AFTER your wife says it is ok. I went back too soon and my wife still brings it up. I have also found when training if you try to take less time from her maybe she will reward you with the ok to train more in the future. My wife is biggest support person, but when she is tiredmof me training it is no fun. I get up before 4 without an alarm clock. She gives me daylight hours to train because she knows of the sacrifices i make to train. Having cycling in your back ground is a major plus. If you rode with people in college you know what it takes to get results. Make sure you have shoes for your specific feet when running. Umm I feel your pain about weight. I am 210ish, but I wish I could be closer to 200. My problem is I still beat skinny people so I think I a, the ideal weight for me. Make sure you log all your workouts and ask questions.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriPatrick's group of support- closed Rss Feed  

of 6