General Discussion Race Reports! » John Theissen Childrens Foundation Freaky 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

John Theissen Childrens Foundation Freaky 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wantagh, New York
United States
John Theissen Children's Foundation
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drank a Shakeology ... ate a Clif bar ... woke up the kids and wife. Got dressed in my Team New Skin gear and filled a bag with New Skin goodies and coupons. Got both my sons (6) and (8) dressed for the fun run and fed.
Event warmup:

I jogged a quarter mile and did some stretches. Felt good to go ... first 5k in over a year ...
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to pace the first mile with a rival from last year who was always much faster than I am. Kept him around 20 yards in front of me until the 2 mile marker. Knew I was running faster than I had ever done so before and wanted to keep kicking but felt I was slowing down despite my efforts. Ran hard at the final turn when I saw my family cheering and knew I was going to shatter my old PR ...
What would you do differently?:

The weather conditions were ideal for me - I should have run with my handheld bottle as I had to grab water at all the rest stops and with my bottle I could have skipped this entirely. I felt good through mile two and knew what I had to do to set a PR - I don't know if subconsciously this slowed me down or not but I think I could have pushed harder though my quads today say otherwise.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife brought me a Chocolate Zico which was awesome. I chatted up some people and gave out some coupons and samples of New Skin. Saw a neighbor at the finish and he said we should do a Tough Mudder - bring it! There were TONS of cookies, cupcakes, cake and other pastries at the finish and I ate too many sickening sweets.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physically I am getting there. If I lose another 10 pounds I hope to be able to pick up another 2 minutes ... a goal for next year. Sub 24 (I can't believe I just typed that) is a reality if I go full tilt and don't slow down - maybe I will take another shot at this in the off season.

Event comments:

Set a PR so would think this is a course I should do again and see if I can improve.

Last updated: 2012-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/
Overall: 112/
Performance: Good
1st mile 7:31, 2nd mile 7:32, 3rd mile 7:55 ... was losing it at the end. HR was pinned at 174 from around the 1 1/2 mile mark.
Course: Flat and fast with turns through the Wantagh streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-29 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: John Theissen Childrens Foundation Freaky 5k

2012-10-29 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4473473

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: John Theissen Childrens Foundation Freaky 5k

9/30 in age group

112/605 finishers

Both of my sons competed in the fun run and both complained it was too short ... 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Theissen Childrens Foundation Freaky 5k Rss Feed