Speedy feet
17F / -8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 30m 47s
Overall Rank = 11/167
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/
Event warmup:

Warm-up? I sat in the car trying to stay warm period, it was freezing with snow coming down. Which is perfect recipe for a great race. With 5 minutes to go to start, I stripped down to run gear and did a short warm up to get my HR going!
Run
  • 30m 47s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall effort was pretty good right from the start, set a target of 7:30 pace for the run. At the gun I took off and was running with the front group, checked my watch and noticed the pace was around 6:45. Obviously not at that level so I pulled back on the pace to make sure I didn't blow up on the course. Hit the 1st crossing of the covered bridge and felt pretty good, at this point I also starting running with someone else who proved to be a good push later in the run. Came to the 1 mile mark at a time of 7:22, still faster than I wanted so pulled back a little more, I think pulling back may have hurt me a little later in the race.

Mile 2 was uneventful, the majority of it was downhill but did have a short section that went straight up for 20yds. Enough to put the brakes on but was able to quickly recover and move on. Time for Mile 2 came in at 7:36.

Mile 3 was where things became difficult, not really physically but more keeping my focus. For some reason I became distracted and allowed myself to slow down to much, I knew I had a hill that I needed to conserve my energy for and I think I allowed this to give me an excuse to slow down. I should of powered through and then hit the hill and go from there. Lost a lot of pace on this mile which also cost me a chance to hit the 7:30 pace goal. At the end of mile 3 is the largest hill on the course, probably around 100yds and is almost vertical. I kept the effort even going up the hill to the point that at around 3/4 mark I was walking. Once I reached the top though I was able to get right back into running and enjoy the run down the other side. Time for mile 3 8:26 with at least 30s coming from running/walking up the hill.

Once down the hill and into mile 4 I picked up the pace for the push home, this last section was mostly flat with a few short downhills. Felt strong for the entire mile and thought I was holding a pretty good pace. I attempted to catch the group of 3 runners ahead of me, caught one of them but the other 2 stayed out in front! I just didn't have enough in the tank to push for more. Mile 4 finished with a time of 7:46.
What would you do differently?:

Hold concentration through entire run and it myself into some discomfort to get a better time!
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down, more of a warm-up. Went for hot chocolate and changed quickly into dry clothes, it was almost comical watching all of the steam coming off the runners as we waited for the results!

Last updated: 2013-01-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:47 | 04 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 11/167
Performance: Good
Course: Cruise is a loop course that starts and finishes basically at the same place. Ran at Tawawa and uses the 5k course (backwards) plus the additional new back section.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes