BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriGeeks - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-05-02 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: TriGeeks - CLOSED

GROUP FOCUS: This is my 2nd season as a BT mentor. All distances of triathlon welcome. Whether you're looking to complete your first sprint, or wanting to step up in distance, this group is for you. 

NAME: mroger82/Roger

STORY: I'm a 45-49 age grouper who loves this sport/life style/ addicition/ hobby (call it what you want). This is my 5th year competing in triathlon. My first race was an XTERRA off road tri and I was hooked. I gave up the mountain bike because of my limited skills and frequent spills and took to the road. I am a former USAT level I coach and I have competed in all distances of triathlon. When I first started in triathlon, I learned the sport through many avenues like getting advice from seasoned veterens in my local tri community, books, and sites like BT. This forum is a great way to meet others, ask questions, share ideas, and learn about the many tricks of the trade in order to make you successful at multisport racing.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids. My wife and I compete in many of the same races together. She is also a former USAT level I coach and currently a certified personal trainer and massage therapist. We like to set an example of a healthy lifestyle to our children who also compete in many races and have been successful in the IronKids races by qualifying for the nationals each of the last two years.   

CURRENT TRAINING: The first 4 months of 2013 have been littered with 1 mile swim workouts, 25 mile bike rides, and 6 mile runs, give or take, as I have shorter distance races scheduled for early season. I will be ramping up the mileage soon to train for an Ironman scheduled in November. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In March I won my age group in a duathlon, April was an off month for racing. May I will be competing in the Kansas 5150 event and hopefully qualify for the 5150 nationals. I may do another Oly in July, then Sept. I plan on racing in the HyVee triathlon if I didn't qualify for the national championship, although I don't plan on being too competitive as I will be in the midst of my training for Ironman Arizona slated for November. I will also be racing Rev3 Branson 70.3 in Sept. as a tune up race for IM Arizona.

WEIGHTLOSS: Fortunately I don't have to worry too much about weightloss. I've already shed my winter layer and I'm now always within a couple of pounds of my racing weight.   

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love to interact with people and share knowledge. Learning is an ongoing process no matter how much you think you know. Everybody starts somewhere, or has a question they've always wanted to ask, but was afraid to ask. No matter how basic, or how "dumb" you think a question is, somebody else wants to know the answer too. I'm happy to pass along what I've learned these last 5 years, as a student of the sport, any information to help you reach your goals.

Edited by mroger82 2013-07-17 7:39 PM

2013-05-04 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4724811

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: ---
Can Start Immediately

Edited by mroger82 2013-05-11 7:31 PM
2013-05-13 2:32 PM

User image

Subject: RE: TriGeeks - OPEN

Hi Roger, please sign me up.  (This will be my first time with BT mentor/mentee program)

AME: paradigm777/ Joe or Joseph

STORY: I'm 47 years old.  I live Tustin, CA (Southern California).  I started running 5K and 10K after completing MBA in 2009.  Soon, I started to research and learned to swim.  Did my first triathlon in 2010; completed 1st HIM in July of 2011 (Vineman); and 1st IM in November of 2011 (IM Arizona w/ 13:46); and 2nd IM in July of 2012 (Vineman w/ 13:31).

FAMILY STATUS: I’ve been married 16 years, I have two children  13 and 10.

CURRENT TRAINING:  My goal for this year is to complete two 140.6.   So far, I am only sign up for Full Vineman.  My typical goal is to finish my at 50% for my AG.

THIS PAST YEAR'S RACES:
  In 2012, I completed one Marathon and one Full Distance (140.6) and one 70.3 and two 13.1.

2013 RACES:   I have completed one 13.1, one 26.2, one Olympic Tri and one 70.3 (Oceanside).  I will be doing Full Vineman on July 28th.  Then I would like to sign up for another full IM (or default to 70.3)

WEIGHTLOSS:
Non issue at 138-142 lbs (I am 5-8)

GOAL:  sub-12:59:59 or sub-12:30 for 140.6

2013-05-14 5:30 AM
in reply to: #4740304

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Hi Joe,

Great to hear from you. Looks like you have a fun year planned and have accomplished much. We'll get you up where you want to be in the AG. What kind of training are you doing currently and are you training for anything specifically right now?

Hopefully our group will grow in numbers soon and have some good discussions. Also, are you posting your training logs here on BT? It's a great way to keep track and adjust your training.

Welcome to the group, I'll be posting again soon.

Happy training,

Roger. 

2013-05-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4741207

User image

Coach Roger,

My next event will be Full Vineman on July 27 (Santa Rosa / Napa, CA).  Funny thing how you asked on the 140.6 training program.  So far, I am training on a whim.  I know of know I need to swim at least 3x per week. (4 would be super).  Run at least one long run (15+ miles) and at least one 50+ miles bike ride.  On top of that, I do 2-3 spinning classes per week.  For the run, I try to add one 5K run and one 10K run.

Last night, I printed out the default training program posted by BT.  With my Vineman schedule, I am currently on week 11 of 20.

Joe

2013-05-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4741207

User image

I do log my training here in BT.  Please take a look and provide feedback.  Thx,  Joseph

2013-05-14 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4742466

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

It looks like you've got a pretty solid base going. You should probably be in your build period now. I like seeing some higher intensities on your shorter runs. I'm just going to give you my opinion without any fluff, and we can go from there.

As far as spin classes go, I like them, but I don't think they really translate well for acutal riding and bike condtioning. I will do a spin class on occasion, but find I get a much better race specific workout on a trainer if the weather, or time does not permit riding outside. Bike sessions are by far the most time consuming, and like running you need to have some planned specific sessions built in. The long ride is a given, try adding some hill workouts and long intervals. As of now I have you finishing the bike around 6:35 ish.

Your swimming looks to be your limiter, but not all that limiting when you really look at it. I figure at your current pace you would finish the swim in about 1:31. The drills are nice, but if you're not a competitive collegiate/olympic type swimmer, drills aren't going to help a whole lot. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for drills, but for us mortals, getting out there putting in the laps on straight swimming with some speed, interval, and cruise sessions built in, and consistency is the key. That's assuming your form in the water is decent.

So the run. As I said before, I really like seeing some shorter higher intensity work. On your longer runs, maybe try getting in some fartlek/intervals. I don't know if you've been doing any of that, but all I can see is your total time on your logs. On your log, I saw a 12 miler at around 11:19 or so. Given your times on your 5 and 10K's you should probably up the intensity on your longer runs a little bit. Fartleks are great for learning turn over when your legs aren't so fresh. You can eventually add longer and longer distances at a higher intensity. As of now, and just by looking at your last log I have you finishing the marathon in a little over 5 hours. Add in T1 and T2 and you're still a little over your 13 hour threshold.

I know you're still in building, but try adding just a little more intensity, NOT A LOT (the last thing I want you to do is get injured), to your workouts and your body will adapt, even at our ripe old age. I'm of the belief that if you train long and slow, you will race long and slow. No magic happens on race day, the magic happens during your training.

I'll get off my soap box now, hope I made some sense. Let me know your thoughts.

Roger.

Edited by mroger82 2013-05-14 6:01 PM
2013-05-15 1:01 PM

User image

Hi Roger,

Good feedback.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/triathlon/how-to-nail-the-ironman-marathon.aspx

I ran across this site this morning and got some additional tips about needing to put more volume and intensity (Hill) on the bike.  Which will decrease my bike time as well as my run time.

I will be happy if I can complete the swim in 1:30:00.  Any tips on the swim?

For the bike, I have done 6:14:17 (2011 IMAZ) and 6:12:50 (2012 Vineman).  If I continue to prepare for the next 12 weeks, I am certain I can decrease PR on the bike.

I will focus on the intensity on the run the next few weeks.  And start to do some BRICK sessions.

Thanks again,

Joseph

2013-05-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: mroger82

User image

I'd love to be included in this group! Thanks for volunteering your time Roger.

Name: Wes0711/Wes

Story: I'm a 33 year old Christian, husband and father of 3 little gorillas! Needless to say, they keep me extremely busy! In the real world, I am a paramedic and part time student. Did my first triathlon in 2009 on a complete whim! I think we trained for about 6 weeks! Not much of which involved being wet, which translated to about a 30 min swim in a sprint race!! How funny is that! I've since done 3 other races including a 70.3 which was horrible to say the least. Ocean swim, hot and windy! My time was awful(6:45), but I finished right! My training for that 70.3 was a complete joke! I bet my longest week was 3 days and there were few quality days in that 3. Needless to say I was lazy, I'll prepared and it showed. I was also overweight. Fast forward a year and a half and I now have a tri bike(P2) with carbon wheels which I love to ride! Sure helps when you love to be seen on your bike! I've dropped about 35lbs and feel like I'm approaching the best shape of my life. The past 3 weeks I have been able to ride right at 100miles/week which I expect to just increase. Needless to say, I am at a different place in life than when this adventure began almost 4 years ago. I pretty much don't have any hobbies outside of training. I love it! Having said that, I'm not great at it but I enjoy it. Another big part of my story is that I am a 10 year cancer survivor. As a newly married guy, I was diagnosed with stage III testicular ca in 2002 and had a relapse one year later. A lot of prayer, chemo and surgery later and praise The Lord, I am HEALED! I wish I could say that it opened my eyes to a healthier lifestyle but it took many years to get to this point.

Family Status: Married for 12 years. 3 beautiful children who are so full of life! My wife was a soccer player most of her life and was a runner by default. Some orthopedic issues mean that she no longer can run but she's found a new love; the elliptical! Man, I don't know how she does it. I find it to be a tad too monotonous. She does, however, enjoy swimming and riding so I hope to be able to do some races together as a relay. We are trying to get our kids involved in endurance sports and the lifestyle in general. Our twin daughters are 7 and our son is 5. They are constantly asking when they can "do a triathlon!" What a healthy thing to pass along to our children! The gift of health!

Current Training: I ride around 100 miles/week, try and swim 2 days and run maybe one. Starting a 20 week HIM plan in 9 days so I suspect that will increase.

This Years Races: I've only got Augusta 70.3 scheduled right now. One thing I've learned is that this is an expensive sport. Race fees are a tad on the expensive side so I've gotta be choosy! Gate River Run- 03/2013. Finished about 30sec/mile slower than I had hoped but was faster than last year. Might try and do a sprint/oly if I can find a reasonably priced race.

Weight Loss: I'm down to 170. Was 215lbs when we moved to Atl in 2007. I'd really like to be at a healthy 165 by September(Augusta).

My Goal: To learn how to train well and effectively. To log "quality" as well as quantity. I know it's a lofty goal, but I'd love to earn an age group spot at the big race. That's obviously a long term thing though.

2013-05-20 12:16 PM
in reply to: wes0711

User image

Welcome Wes. Putting down 100+ miles per week is awesome. I wish I have the time to do that. Keep up with your training and I look forward to training with you and Roger.
2013-05-20 1:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Hey Wes, great to have you here. Well it looks like we have a lot in common. I've been in EMS for 24 years. I've worked on a ground ambulance, and as a paramedic field supervisor, flight medic on a helicopter, and currently as a flight nurse.
Congratulations on kicking cancer's butt! It's a terrible, devastating and insidious disease.

I just got back from the Kansas 5150 tri yesterday. Storms and lightning in the area cancelled the swim, but at least we got in the bike and run. It was interesting going off on a time trial start like the tour de france. One athlete started every 3 seconds or so. We had no idea where we were in the field because you had to wait until the last person finished to find out your overall place. You very much had to race your own race and not worry about the other guy. On a good note, I did qualify for the 5150 US Championship in Des Moines in September, I'm looking forward to it even though I will be in the midst of my IM training.

Yep, you're going to have to up your consistency especially on the swim and run. I love to ride too, and it takes up a ton of time. I've thought about doing Augusta, but it just never worked out for me.
Keep up the good work and let us know how training is going, or if you have any questions post them here and we'll work through it. Try to log your workout here on BT if you're not already to stay accountable.

Roger.

2013-05-20 2:57 PM

User image

Thanks guys! Look forward to training with y'all! Gonna be a fun summer! Ready for it to actually get warm outside! I will def start logging my training on BT.

Wes
2013-05-21 5:07 PM

User image

Did a very short ride today. Was a time trial more or less. Wanted to see where I was in the heat and for an all out effort on the bike. A couple buddies and I decided to do a relay at a sprint in savannah in a couple weeks. I'm doing the cycle portion. It will be dead flat and am hoping to be as close to a 24mph pace as possible. Last years relay team rose at a 20.08 mph pace. There are 4 teams in it this year and I'd love to give my team a shot at winning our "little" division.
2013-05-22 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
2013-05-22 11:17 AM

User image

Nice work Roger! You're a quick freakin runner! That's fast man!
2013-05-23 1:22 AM

User image

Roger,

Nice strong finish. 7:22min/mile is fast for 10K run, at least for me. Congrats!
Joseph

2013-05-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: paradigm777

User image

Hey Joseph,

How long did it take you to sign up for your first IM? I honestly never thought I'd do a HIM and now I'm training for my 2nd and am having thoughts of a full. The doubts of whether I could do it are there and it keeps me from seriously contemplating it. Was curious as to your experience. Roger, any thoughts?
2013-05-23 10:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
I was in my second year of tri when I signed up for my first IM to do in my 3rd year of tri since you almost have to sign up a year in advance. I did an oly and 2 HIM's in my second year so I was fairly well prepared for my IM the next year. Just sign up a do it. You'll be ready by the time it comes around the next year, especially if you have a decent schedule set up for this year.
2013-05-24 4:00 PM

User image

Hi Wes,
It took me about 2.5 years.
1 Year:
learn to swim 50meter plus
did 2 10K run, and 1 13.1 run (events)
did 2 sprint tri
did 1 Oly tri

2nd Year:
learn to swim
did 10K, 13.1, and 26.2 run (events)
did 1-2 sprint tri
did 2 Oly tri
did 1 70.3 tri (half IM)

3rd year:
learn to swim
did 10K, 13.1, and 26.2 run (events)
did 2 Oly tri
did 1 70.3
did 1st 140.6
2013-05-27 2:13 AM

User image

Roger, do you think running 15-16 miles and doing BRICKS with 10K is suffice for 140.6 run?
I still have about 2 months to prepare for my next 140.6. Please check out my training log and let me know what you would recommend.

Thx,
Joseph
2013-05-27 11:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by paradigm777

Roger, do you think running 15-16 miles and doing BRICKS with 10K is suffice for 140.6 run?
I still have about 2 months to prepare for my next 140.6. Please check out my training log and let me know what you would recommend.

Thx,
Joseph

Good luck on your next race!

2013-05-28 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Joseph,
I think you are on the right track. Shorter intermediate runs with tempo and speed sets built in are good when paired with a nice LSD run. On my LSD runs I think of nothing except maintaining form and function. You will naturally get faster with improved running form and mechanics and with less injury. There is a school of though evolving out there on not running long in training for the marathon. A little lengthy to get into here, but you can check it out here http://www.vanguardendurance.comThis site is owned by Justin Trolle an elite USAT level III coach who who has many elite and pro level athletes in his stable and who I received instruction from during my level I certification.

Like I said before though, I think you are on the right track in your training for the run. Keep those things in mind on your next long, slow, distance run. I know it takes a lot of time to see improvement, especially for us triathletes who have to split our time up between the 3 disciplines. Sometimes I wish I were a pure runner or cyclist. Funny I don't really care to be a pure swimmer.
Great training, keep it up.

2013-06-05 12:55 PM

User image

Roger,

In the past 4 months, I've noticed pretty significant unilateral left sided hamstring glute tightness when running at any even remotely good pace and distance. Doesn't hit me until around mile 4. It literally feels like my glute(from the very top and in the middle) all the way down to my posterior knee is wound up like a rubber band. It's not really painful but just tight. Almost feels like its gonna pop sometimes. Does it sound to be only a hamstring/hip adductor/abductor problem? Could it be an IT band issue? I hate to think of slowing down as I've finally gotten in to a pretty good groove training now but I also do not want to risk injury. HELP!! Joe, any thoughts?
2013-06-05 4:16 PM

User image

Hi Roger...Please add me to your mentor program. I'd appreciate the help. Thank you in advance for your time.
Just reading the thread, it seems I have many things in common with everyone.

NAME: pnether32/Patrick

STORY: I'm 36 years old. Ex-Air Force Flight Medic, now a telemetry (cardiac) nurse. Avid snowboarder, surfer, and runner, I was looking for a new challenge after doing many half marathons. I joined the YMCA which had a pool. I wanted to stay in shape and met alot of triathletes and masters swimmers early in the morning. After talking to them, I thought I would give triathlon a try. I love to surf, so I was always a pretty good swimmer. I love to run, never super fast but ave 8-8:15min/min. I am HORRIBLE on the bike. Last year completed my first tri, IRONMAN 70.3 FL. Goal was to finish the race, trained according to plan, but I borrowed a road bike from a friend and ended up dying on the bike (3:40). I should of put in more bike work. That killed my run time. Now that I think about it I should of done some shorter distance tri races also, but I guess I aimed high. But after that race I knew what I needed to do to improve. I'm hoping that by joining this group it will help me out in succeeding even more!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful wife and I have a son thats 4 yrs old.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently following trinewbies.com half IM 18 week workout - week #5. I've been working with heart rate zones keeping HR around 140 in training. I'm swimming x3 a week at the YMCA, biking x3 a week, and running x3. 6-8hrs a week. I'm hoping that by working with heart rate zones and cadence I can reach my goals. I work 12hr nights 3 days a week sometimes 4 if doing overtime, so my training schedule is very weird. I have a kinetic road trainer so if I cant get a workout in at the gym or outside, I'll jump on that.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

July - JAX Tri Sprint Series #2
September - IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta (just like Wes)
December- Jacksonville Bank Marathon

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm 5'5 and I weight 138 lbs. I just try to stay fit and eat right. Working with heart patients, I try to practice what I preach.

GOAL: I eventually want to do a full IRONMAN in 2014 or 2015. I really want to break a sub 6hr HIM. That would be awesome! I really want to improve on the bike. It is my weakness!

Roger, please look at my training log and if you can give me any input I would appreciate it!
I look forward to working with you. I wish the best and success to everyone on this thread and cant wait for everyone to achieve their goals!
2013-06-05 8:02 PM
in reply to: pnether32

User image

Dude! Welcome bro! You live in Jax? I was born and raised there! Should be fun in Augusta. We will be in Jax in July. Maybe hook up and catch a swim, bike or run together? Where do you work?

Wes
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriGeeks - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 4