BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brady's Bunch Of Beginners Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-12 5:53 PM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Subject: Brady's Bunch Of Beginners
Group Focus:
Its go time...for those of you who are beginners and want to do more than “just finish”, this group will help you focus your training on the right areas for the right amount of time.  I’ve been through the newbie phase and can help you to reach your goals.

Name:
BradyFinney

My Story:
I’m a life long basketball player and signed up for my first sprint because a buddy convinced me to.  I was out of shape and didn’t know it...and was hooked on right away.  I've come to love all three sports, now find all three relaxing, and hope to help you enjoy them as well.  Whether you are a pure beginner, or have some experience under your belt, I look forward to helping you improve your game.

Family Status:
I’m 41, married with 2 great kids in grammar school.

Current Training:
I'm currently training for the Patriot 70.3 in June and at least 3 more triathlons this season.  My training this year is more focused on heart rate zones than it has been in the past.  Also on my daily nutrition.

This year's races:
Boston Marathon (finished 25.86 miles)
Quincy Half Marathon
Patriot 70.3
Sailors Mile Swim
DAM Triathlon (sprint)
Timberman 70.3
Lobsterman (Olympic)
Newburyport Half Marathon

Weight Loss:
When I started triathlons, I weighed a little over 205.  Just through the training, I dropped to about 190, but I didn't eat cleanly.  Over the past 6 months, my nutrition has improved, and my weight has dropped to 180-185.

Why I would be a good mentor:
I am hooked on triathlons, love the training, and love helping people achieve their goals.  I'll be responsive, supportive, and provide tips/suggestions I’ve picked up from my own experience as well as the book, podcasts and other reading.

2013-05-30 6:53 AM
in reply to: BradyFinney

Subject: RE: Brady's Bunch Of Beginners
Hi Brady-

Still looking to add? I'm also in MA, and training for the Title 9 Sprint Tri in early September. True newbie over here!

Kate :-)
2013-06-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: KPietrov

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Absolutely. You will be amazed how much you can do in that period of time without killing yourself.

What are your goals?
2013-06-13 11:59 AM

User image

hi brady!
looking to join your group! Hoping to do my first sprint this fall and need all the help I can get!!
2013-06-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Thanks Chris, welcome to the group.

Tell me a little about your current "athletic status" and what your goals are. Also, let me know if you've identified a specific tri and if you have selected a training plan....or if you want a little guidance on those.

You will be amazed how much you can do with continuous little improvements.
2013-06-13 1:56 PM

User image

well my name is Christie craft. I've been in the gym doing strength and cardio training for a little over a year now. I consider myself fairly athletic. in 2010 I got on my first road bike and did a 30 mile ride but haven't done much riding since then. I have done several 5ks over the last few years but never done much swimming. :/ I am really pumped about doing something different since I've been focused on crossfit the last year. I really have no idea how to start training but I wanna do a sprint in September or so.

2013-06-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
The swim is the “scary” part for most new triathletes, but the run is the hard part. Experienced triathletes will tell you that it is all about the run, and how you feel when you start. So if you are doing 5k's, you will be fine. That said, I couldn’t swim more than a lap or two without gasping for breath when I started training for my first tri. So that might be an area to focus on once you have a plan in place.

First things first...pick out a training plan to give you a little guidance. I went to look at the list (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp) and suggest a plan, but there are several, and I think you might want to read the overview of each. Once you pick a plan or two, let me know. It took me awhile to realize that most plans are set up with a similar progression based on the distance etc, so I can explain some of that.
2013-06-13 10:58 PM

Hi Brady,

This is Gaurav from Sydney,Australia.I heard about the IM from a friend of mine who recently competed in the Swiss 70.3.Till that day I didnt know what IM was!I googled it and researched and read stories of incredible people overcoming lots of hurdles in their lives to be an ironman.The challenge appealed to me since I want to give up the addiction of smoking which i have been doing for the past 8 years or so.I want to take up this challenge and go on a personal voyage to defeat the voices in my head.

I have been an above average squash player in the past,but being in the shipping industry i havent been able to play it on a regular basis.I dont know how good a triathlete i would make,but I sure want to finish an IM by next year.My plan is to compete for the March Melbourne IM 2014.

I am an average swimmer,which is to say that i dont like swimming and wont indulge in it until absolutely necessary.Biking,i find fun.Running is also not a very enjoyable activity for me.Looks like all the activities in the IM are not fun,but am willing to work on them.

All i need is a structured guidance from you in terms of starting out/improvising and train how you would train for one.I am a complete beginner,so it would be great if you could help me out.

Thanks a lot in advance.I will wait for your reply.

Best Regards,
Gaurav
2013-06-14 8:11 AM
in reply to: Foxle

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Gaurav - welcome and congratulation on taking on a very big challenge. It can be done, if you have the time and the will power.

Can you give me an understanding of your basic "athletic status", meaning do you have any base of swim, bike, and or running fitness? It sounds like you are starting from the very beginning which is fine (and exactly where I started), but you will need to take the challenge on slowly and build to it to avoid getting injured (particularly on the run training) and/or getting burnt out.

I have some ideas and some suggested reading sources for you, but I want to have a better sense of "where you're at" as we say in the states. Do you have a job, family, etc...that will help me understand your time commitments/limitations etc.
2013-06-14 3:25 PM

User image

so I looked at training programs listed and I like the original sprint 13 week one. but my work and family life schedule is so busy and varies so much that I'll have to adjust it. but I get the basic premise. and I have also seen programs that are set to distance instead of time. does that make a difference?
2013-06-15 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4738891

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Just rolled in from a half iron man this morning...while I hit my goal of being under 6 hours (almost, I finished in 6:00:02), I got through some issues...broken sun glasses, dropped straw for front water bottle, and forgotten run waterbottle. When you do your training sessions and your races, things will go wrong, the important thing is how you react to them.

2013-06-16 6:39 PM

User image

wow! I'm so impressed! maybe I'll be be as positive as you during my first sprint!!! good job! way to kill it!
2013-06-28 10:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deleted.

Edited by PsyTri 2013-07-02 11:10 AM
2013-07-02 9:10 AM
in reply to: 0

deleted- sorry!

Edited by ahallhou 2013-07-02 9:39 AM
New Thread