Event Power
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 347/399
Age Group = 32
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

MY FIRST TRIATHLON!!! So I don't really have a routine. The race was an hour away and we had to be there by 6am. I had all my gear in the car already. I rented a wetsuit and a bike and the rental company (Tri-Guy) brought the bike to the site for me which was great.
Event warmup:

Swam in the bay a bit to get used to the salt water and the current.
Swim
  • 10m 27s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, the swim was pretty scary for me. I am a very experienced swimmer but I did not anticipate how confusing it would be with the other people, the current, and the need to "site" the buouy. My breathing was very choppy and I was signficantly slowed down by all the people. I kept getting stuck behind the last of the men (they started 3 minutes before us). However, after I rounded the second buoy things had cleared up and I started to get into my breathing pattern. At that point, unfortunately I got stung by a jellyfish on the arm which was rather painful and really caused me some serious disorientation. I did not run up the beach due to my arm situation, which definitely affected my time.
What would you do differently?:

Avoid jellyfish! Open water goggles. Try to get a better start position since I have to swim over so many people.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

Wow- I had almost the worst transitions of anyone in the race. What can I say? It was my first race and my arm was hurting like hell from that darn jellyfish!

I will have to practice.
Bike
  • 25m 43s
  • 8 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

My only training has been in spin class so this was a new experience. I had a lot of fun, and I thought I did very well considering I was riding a hybrid bike that I had never been on before, not clipped in or with cages (just regular pedals). It was really fun. I have no idea how to corner so I just took them slow to avoid wiping out.

Well, I need my own road bike. That is pretty clear. Also, I need someone to teach me how to corner, about cadences, etc.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Wow- I was 396 out of 399 on this one! I don't have any idea what the heck I was doing all that time, except I did have some trouble getting on my running shoes.

Well, I guess I would actually hurry. And I want to get those elastic shoelaces.
Run
  • 38m
  • 3.4 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs did feel like bricks for about a mile. After that I loosened up and picked up the pace. However I was way too conservative about how slow I would have to go to finish. I could have run a lot faster, but my goal was to run the whole way and I didn't really know how hard I was capable of pushing.

More road races so I can figure out pacing. I am not a good runner. The fact that I finished feeling great was pretty amazing.
Also, I ate and drank NOTHING. I was too confused. I have to plan for that as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Um. Walk through chute and then eat bagel?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transitions were a total novelty. My bike really held me back. Not knowing my running pace. Plus I need to figure out where and how to drink some water.
Finally............JELLYFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch.

Event comments:

There was not enough to drink. Only one station. Course is beautiful, flat and easy!

Last updated: 2004-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:27 | 500 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/399
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra
Course: A square box- swim out to buoy, swim parallel to shore to next buoy, then back to shore. Then there was a carpet up the beach to the chip reader.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:25:43 | 08 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Overall: 338/399
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, beautiful scenery.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:38:00 | 03.4 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 371/399
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, shaded, very pleasant really.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-07-14 12:51 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Mighty North Fork

2004-07-15 5:05 PM
in reply to: #37392

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Mighty North Fork

awesome first race!...minus the jellyfish of course.  maybe if there were jelly donughts...

2004-07-16 9:18 AM
in reply to: #37839

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Mighty North Fork
Thanks! I had so much fun. Very tired this week though. What do people do about training in the week after a race? I want to do an Olypmic distance in Sept so I want to keep training but I already took 3 days off this week! Just exhausted. Also because work has been very stressful this week and my parents are in town.
Re: Jellyfish. My mind set was so funny about that. I was like, there is no way that some darn jellyfish is going to stop me now! I was finishing no matter WHAT!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty North Fork Rss Feed