BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CalgaryRunner's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-15 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: CalgaryRunner's Group - FULL

Username / First Name  CalgaryRunner - Steve

Short Bio

Married with 2 kids (ages 7 and 5) and 1 Golden Retriever (age 8).   Am a Programmer Analyst (JDE World (RPG), some OneWorld).

Found the BT website back in the fall of 2005 when I started training in all 3 disciplines of Tri.  Previously my background was running.  I ran cross county back in my highschool days and then only got back into it in 2001 when I needed a form of stress relief.  I run a half marathon yearly (Melissa's in Banff) but have completed 2 marathons.  I completed 2 Olympic Distance Tri's in 2006.  My wife is a runner as well and is hoping to do her first marathon in 2007 so I have to keep her training plans in mind when designing mine.

2007 Triathlon Plans  

Looking to do my first Half Ironman race in July 2007.  Will likely do at least 1 other Olympic distance tri in 2007.

Edited by CalgaryRunner 2006-12-20 9:47 AM

2006-12-17 9:43 PM
in reply to: #625462

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
Subject: RE: CalgaryRunner's Group - OPEN
There are a tons of reasons for me to ask you to mentor me but the most important lies in your user name...runner. I am not one and wanna be badly. I just found out that my favorite race (Drummondville) will not offer the sprint distance, only Oly. The thing that scares me is the run, i had to run/walk the 5K portion of the sprint last year so how the heck can i pull a 10K? I need help and support. I want that Oly under my belt (there i said it...i am still shaking from saying it but i said it). After the swim challenge (that we will win) i will choose an Oly plan from Ron's faboulous collection and most likely arrange it to fit my schedule. So what do you think? am i mentoring material?
2006-12-18 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Hey Isabelle,

There's nothing wrong with the walk/run program.  As you progress you will find your walk breaks might match up with the water stations and for people like me who can't drink and run at the same time it's a win-win situation.

Let me know the date of your Oly-tri.  We'll see what we can do to help you with the run.

Steve

2006-12-18 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
I indeed need a mentor nowadays -- my swim is not improving fast enough. I know the swim won't get you to the podium but I need more expert encouragements. I also need to sustain a sub 6 min mile run. Any suggestions? My run have improved -- naturally runner here (however, just returned to running again 3 years ago). Any advise on how to train for a Powerman event? Plan to race Powerman Alabama in April.

Cheers!
2006-12-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: #626866

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Re your run (sub 6 minute mile) - I think you could offer us some tips here.  I could maybe push out a sub 6 minute mile on a track but doing so over 10k at the end of a tri - nope.  Sorry.

Re your swim time improving.  The best thing you can do is take a swim class so that an instructor/coach can analyse your stroke.  The most common "mistake" we see in the pool is people letting their hips and legs sink (hence more drag).   To aid this make sure you are looking down at the bottom of the pool (or even a bit back towards your feet).  By looking up we arch our backs and the hips then sink.

I haven't done a "Powerman" event.  Duathlon right?  Fit in lots of "Bricks" Run-Bike, Bike-Run so as to become accustomed to running with "heavy" legs.

Steve

2006-12-18 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
I have no idea what I did right in my run workouts -- just determination, I guess. I found my NikePlus pruchase as a great investment. I run more and I challenge myself more often also. The treadmill and Arc Trainer in my gym also are good tools for my run. A few months ago, I have done cardio runs in the pool -- this came about as I was upset with my swim workouts, instead I ran in the pool. I can feel the benefits now and I do it often. I try to run 5k 3 times a week and a 10k once a week.

In terms of strength workouts for my legs -- I always focus on core, body weight exercises, and fitness ball workouts. I think losing 7 pounds since this pass August help me run faster. Strong core and light body weight = faster time (this is my conclusion).

Yes, I was part of a swim master class last year but due to scheduling conflicts, I am not able to continue. I just need to keep telling myself that I wil improve my swim. My problem is my pull is weak, not my kicks. I just started more upper body strenght workouts this month and hopefully this will strengthen my pulls. However, I can swim a mile under 50 minutes with breast stroke .. LOL... just this factor is pushing me towards DU races than tri

So any swim motivation .. any... will help push me to the pool more often...

cheers...

2006-12-18 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
By the by -- this "Around the World" core workout kicks butt!! I owe it all to this for my stronger core and I still use it, now with higher reps... hurts but good pain.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Cheers!
2006-12-19 12:39 PM
in reply to: #627433

Regular
Steve -
Do you have room for another tri newbie?

Thanks,
Tod
2006-12-19 12:56 PM
in reply to: #628064

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

shallowsaltwater - 2006-12-19 11:39 AM Steve - Do you have room for another tri newbie? Thanks, Tod

I do - welcome to BT.  I see you found the Log section of BT.  Nice workouts in your log.

Steve

2006-12-19 2:35 PM

Newville, PA
I need a mentor! I need motivation! Are you willing to take on someone else?

I have been posting for several months now, and I am extremely interested in being a triathlete, but I have, at times, lost my drive.

I'm hoping that with some guidance, support, motivation, etc... I can learn from yourself and others in achieving my goals.

I'm 42, married, no kids (unless you count the dogs - we do). I have always been active. Competed in a variety of sports in high school and when I was in the military. I think that I could have been better at what I did, but there has always been something lacking.

I quit smoking in May 2001, so I have a very special interest in health and fitness. Here's the strange thing...I lifted weights (not a body builder), but to keep in shape for years, enjoyed participating in recreational sports, but I always smoked. Pretty stupid, huh?

At any rate...I want to succeed and compete.

I hope that I can learn. Thanks!

Paul
2006-12-20 9:35 AM

Regular
Brief Bio:

Username/Name: Shallowsaltwater / Tod

Age 42. Married with two wonderful kids (age 11 and 13) and two mutts. Work as a software engineer full time. I just recently “retired” from ten years as part time fishing guide to spend more time with family, friends and working on fitness.

Active in sports growing up (football, wrestling, surfing, weightlifting, golf, racquetball) but not tri sports. I’m bitten by the tri bug and I haven’t done a race yet! Started training in July and just recently found BT. I’m very much a newbie at tri sports. A major goal is to learn as much as possible, train smart and with quality sessions to avoid injury. Ran hard but not smart several years ago and the result was a plantar fasciitis injury.

2007 plans are to complete 2 or more sprint tri’s and start training for an Oly.

Edited by shallowsaltwater 2006-12-20 9:57 AM

2006-12-20 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Seaduspx and Shallowsaltwater - welcome aboard.  Sounds like we have similar backgrounds.  I too was hooked on the sport of triathlon well before doing my first race.  And I too consider our Golden Retriever part of our family.

I'll be checking out peoples logs shortly and offering some inspiration when I can.  Also I'll be PM'ing eveyone to see what their short and long term goals are and I'll share with you what my goals are as well.

Steve

2006-12-20 9:48 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Okay - if there is still room here, I would like to join this group.

I am a runner who has repeatedly ended up injured with knee problems. Two years ago, while injured, I decided to teach myself to swim. I bought the TI book, read it, and just kept pushing myself. It took me forever to learn, but now that I have, I want to use this ability so as not to lose it. It was a tough thing for me to learn, and I am still nto terribly fast or efficient, but I can now swim.

That being said, I figure Olympic distance next summer is my goal. The tough part for me will be getting in the pool and on the bike when I am running healthy again. Well, that and getting on the bike during the winter. I am fairly competitive in running and when fit, just love to get out on the trails and go. So I need to find some balance while still maintaining a running focus.

So, is there room for one more...?

Dan
2006-12-25 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: CalgaryRunner's Group - FULL
Which workouts are most effective to strengthen upper body for swimming?

By the by, Merry New Year.... beef-jerky?
2006-12-28 8:53 PM
in reply to: #628912

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

DannyCapp - 2006-12-20 8:48 AM Okay - if there is still room here, I would like to join this group. Age : 36 I am a runner who has repeatedly ended up injured with knee problems. Two years ago, while injured, I decided to teach myself to swim. I bought the TI book, read it, and just kept pushing myself. It took me forever to learn, but now that I have, I want to use this ability so as not to lose it. It was a tough thing for me to learn, and I am still nto terribly fast or efficient, but I can now swim. That being said, I figure Olympic distance next summer is my goal. The tough part for me will be getting in the pool and on the bike when I am running healthy again. Well, that and getting on the bike during the winter. I am fairly competitive in running and when fit, just love to get out on the trails and go. So I need to find some balance while still maintaining a running focus. So, is there room for one more...? Dan

Hi Dan,

You are welcome to join my small group.

Re being tempted to go back to just running when your injury is healed.  I know it's a tad more difficult to drag yourself out to a pool than it is to just strap on the shoes and go out the front door but I have found my core body strength has improved from swimming and this has in turn helped out my running.  Also I now realize I can't just run to stay fit (I'm 42).  My knees won't put up with 5 runs a week where as I can do 5 or more workouts a week.  I've heard people preach about the benefits of cross training but I only convinced myself when I turned 40.

Steve

2006-12-29 9:18 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Thanks, Steve. I know cross-training is a smart move. In fact I alwats recommend it to others. But I fail to practice what I preach. I guess that is why the idea of these groups is appealing to me. It forces me to be accountable. Plus I figure it will be fun. I look forward to good discussions and honest feedback...

Dan

2006-12-29 11:21 AM
in reply to: #636306

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

DannyCapp - 2006-12-29 8:18 AM Thanks, Steve. I know cross-training is a smart move. In fact I alwats recommend it to others. But I fail to practice what I preach. I guess that is why the idea of these groups is appealing to me. It forces me to be accountable. Plus I figure it will be fun. I look forward to good discussions and honest feedback... Dan

Sounds like we come from similar background.  If you find you are lacking motivation to get out to the pool this winter check out the Challenge Me forum.  In here we have monthly challenges (often with Swim).  Anyone can join in these challenges (usually try to join in the last week of the month for the next month or in the first week of the month).  By setting a personal goal and being on a team I find I am more motivated to get out and train when I am accountable to others.

Steve

2006-12-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: #632895

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

ayeong - 2006-12-25 1:42 PM Which workouts are most effective to strengthen upper body for swimming? By the by, Merry New Year.... beef-jerky?

Good question that I don't know the answer to.  Try searching the Triathlon Talk forum using the Search Forums button at the top of the screen.

Steve

2006-12-30 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

How's everyone doing?  With the new Year less than 48 hours away what are your goals for 2007?  What's your short term goal for January to work towards that goal?

My 2007 (triathlon) goal is to complete my first HIM the first weekend in July.  By complete I mean upright and strong at the finish.

My goal for January is to swim twice a week and run 3 days a week.  I'm not setting any goal for my bike as I need to get an indoor trainer.

Steve

2006-12-30 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
In short, my 2007 goals --

Short term -- finish 3 sprint Tri's and 5 Du's(including Powerman AL) and work on my swim.

Long term -- work on swim, bike more, work on swim, and have fun.

Alan

2006-12-31 2:59 PM
in reply to: #637280

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

ayeong - 2006-12-30 11:52 AM In short, my 2007 goals -- Short term -- finish 3 sprint Tri's and 5 Du's(including Powerman AL) and work on my swim. Long term -- work on swim, bike more, work on swim, and have fun. Alan

Okay - thinking even shorter term - what are your training goals for January (that will help you work towards your longer term goals of finishing the races you listed).  I like that you listed Have Fun - that's always important.

Edited by CalgaryRunner 2006-12-31 3:00 PM

2006-12-31 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
SHort term workouts -- I need to start to ready train in the pool now. I have been fooling around these past months. I will do drills and get back in shape in the pool.

Continue to build stronger legs -- core, and log in rides. Ready, I am trying to make my new bike purchase happen asap so I have time to get use to the new ride

Get ready for pre-season races -- Chatahoochee Road Race in March -- very fast downhill course, qualifier for Peachtree Road Race.

About to put in 5K before the day gets dark here .....

Cheers!
2006-12-31 5:10 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Okay, here is where I become accountable. My goals...

Short term - first to get my knee healthy. A bad case of tendonitis has me sidelined from running. Second is to really work on my swim, both form and workouts. Ideally in January, swim 2 or 3 times per week and run 4 or 5 times (once my knee is healthy). Bike I will realistically just fit in occasionally right now.

Long term - well the obvious, complete my first tri. Goal is OD toward the end of the Summer. And for me, there are specific running goals, lower my mile time on the track and race a good XC season in the Fall.

Nothing there seems to ominous when I type it out, but to put it all together is just never as easy as it is to type it!

Dan

2006-12-31 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Excellent Dan! Now you have your goals in writting -- this will be your motivating factor.

Sorry about your knee. I am also babying my knee since I injured it last race season. It will get stronger. I have less than 3 months to get my act together before my first race.

Happy New Year!!

Alan
2007-01-02 6:30 PM

Regular
Knee issues seem to be a common theme for our group. I increased my bike volume too quickly and didn't get refitted after buying clipless pedals. The result is a tender right knee.

I'm planning on taking a week or two off from the bike, ice it at least once per day, and take advil. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Thanks,
Tod

Edited by shallowsaltwater 2007-01-02 6:31 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CalgaryRunner's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 2