Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-12-20 10:14 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: OiPolloi's Group - FULL

UserName:  oipolloi  (Michael) Age 38

My Story:
I began training for my first Sprint distance triathlon in 2004 on a bet. The bet was that if I could learn to swim and participate in a local Sprint distance race then the cycling team that I coached would compete in a 100-mile bike race through the mountains of Lake Tahoe. I did the triathlon and they did the century. Even though I had to walk the majority of the pool swim, I finished and took first place in the ‘first timers’ category. From that moment on I was hooked. I immediately signed up to race the New York City Triathlon (olympic). I had only a couple of months to learn to swim without taking walk-breaks. There’s no walking on the bottom of the Hudson River. I spent most of my free time training in a nearby lake and in the pool until I was comfortable enough to swim one mile without stopping. I finished the NYC triathlon with a smile on my face and thoughts of “What’s next!”. I competed in three additional triathlons and set a goal for a half Ironman and full Ironman distance race in 2006. With lots of training and perseverance I met my goal and finished both races this year. I’m honored to be able to say “I’m an Ironman”...not only because I did the distance, but because less than two years ago I couldn’t swim a single lap in a pool. I have a decade’s experience with Team In Training, a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society endurance sport/fundraising organization. I’ve participated in over 15 events with TNT and currently coach their Cycling program. If you’re looking for a mentor who has a very strong cycling background (I’ve coached cycling for 9+ years), a moderate running background (I’ve ran one marathon and dozens of halfs and shorter distances), and a newbie-struggling swimming background, then I might be right for you. Three words to describe myself...Enthusiastic, Optimistic, Realistic.

Family:
Married 15 years with no children. My wife and I are far too busy with our professional and volunteer lives to raise children. My wife is a runner who has finished several marathons including Boston. She is currently training for the NYC marathon among others in ‘07. She is also learning to swim so she can compete in her first triathlon in ’07.

Training:
My training is currently made up of maintenance training to get me through a large home remodel project. Starting Jan.1 I take it up a notch to continue being a competitive cyclist as well as runner and triathlete. I have several half marathons, centuries, and triathlons ranging from Sprint Distance to Half Ironman distance races planned for ’07. I am a realist when it comes to training, which means I have a fair balance of “Life” mixed in with my training. That’s a simple way of saying...I’m not too disciplined.

Last Year's Races:  I competed in the James O'Rourke Memorial Triathlon , the Philadelphia Triathlon, the Pigman Half Ironman, and the Oklahoma City Redman (full Ironman distance).  Besides triathlon I also competed in several century cycle rides including America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe, CA.
'07 Races:  So far I have several century rides planned.  One of which I am the race director of.  One of the rides will be in Lake Tahoe and another in Honolulu.  I also plan on racing a handful of Sprint and Olympic races with my A race being another half Ironman.

Weight:
I graduated high school weighing 265 pounds. I had always been a heavy person growing up. When I first got into cycling about 15 years ago my weight started to drop. When I started triathlon I was 185 pounds. At the end of my Ironman training I weighed in at 165. A total weight loss of 100 pounds. I am a realist when it comes to diet and exercise. I’m a vegetarian, but eat and drink pretty much what I want to within those boundaries. I often say...”I train to eat”.

Advice:
Don’t put limitations on yourself. If your MIND can conceive, your BODY can achieve. Get outside and enjoy each day. Whether it is a walk, run, bike, or swim, just get outside and make the most of each day.

Edited by oipolloi 2006-12-26 8:36 AM

2006-12-21 3:48 PM
in reply to: #629889

User image

San Antonio
Subject: RE: OiPolloi's Group - OPEN
Hello OiPolloi, I am interested in joining your group
Here is my info:

Name: Jason

Story: I am truly a beginner. 30 male, Typical story athlete in high school played lineman in football and graduated at 220, did not play when I went to college and slowly but surely started gaining weight. My highest weight was close to 300lbs and that was the time where I didn't want to know the truth so I am sure at one time I was well over but avoided the scale at all cost. I recently joined a gym and have been doing the spinning classes and have been doing really well, I got down to 254 but then fell back into my old routine somehow and at last weigh in I was about 268. I have cousins that have run in tri's and do runs and bikes as well, and I really want to join in with them. Like I said I am truly a beginner and found a work out routine called from couch potato to triathlete and I do believe I can do this.

Family: I was married for 5 years and have a beautiful 4 year old daughter she is my insperation to live a long healthier life.

Training: trips to the gym have been fewer and further between, but I realize it is time to buckle down, but when I was there I did do the spinning class with ease and did other classes and occasionally swam.

Goals: Like I said I am a beginner and i don't quite know the lingo, but I do know what a splash is and there was one that they held annually here in San Antonio that was not run last year for some reason, but there is a tri that I want to try to attempt in July which I know is only 7 months away, but it is something I really want to strive for and the length I know are way more than any beginner should do, but it is a 1 mile swim, 23 mile bike and a 10K run.

Thanks!
Jason
2006-12-22 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Hi! I'm not a newbie exactly, but I am, hopefully, slowly getting where you are now. Your big cycling strides are definitely an inspiration.

Background: Active but not athletic background, started doing tris after losing 75+ pounds. I have to work out a lot to maintain, and wanted to do something with it. Learned to swim at 19 after nearly drowning on Spring Break. Learned to ride a bike at 28. I did a few sprints in 2005, and a half-marathon. This year, I upgraded the bike, took a swim clinic, and had big, big plans. I got derailed by a bike crash, too much partying, and a knee injury. I limped through a HIM, my goal race, and it didn't really satisify me.

My goals for this year:
Get back to where I was (half-marathon at 2:15-2:30 and weekly 2-hour runs) with a newly healthy knee

Improve my cycling. I had a handful of great rides last year, and I'd like to be a little more disciplined and put it all together.

Swim regularly (2-3x per week), and do more OW swims. Improving my swimming times is not really a goal this year.

Goal races are an early season half-IM. I'd like to break 7 hours and qualify for the Survival of the Shawangunks trail race in September. I also plant to sign up for the 2008 Coeur d-Alene this year.
2006-12-22 9:28 AM

User image

Elite

Welcome Jason and Elizabeth.  I'm honored you both chose me to mentor you for the next few months.  You both seem to have fairly active backgrounds and a good start into the sport of triathlon.

I have added you both to my Blog group and will begin tracking your training.  Be sure and post any specific questions you have for me either here in this forum or you can email me directly.

Good luck with your upcoming training.  We'll talk soon.

2006-12-23 12:46 AM

User image

Spokane, WA
Hi Michael and others,

I was drawn to several qualities and personal tidbits that were offered in your introductions, and am wondering if I might join your group? I am a new triathlete-in-training, and think that the accountability and comaraderie will be helpful and inspiring.

Like I said, I'm new to triathlons, but have long had it as a goal to do [at least] one. A runner by nature, I have done several 25-Ks and shorter distances, in addition to one marathon. Unfortunately, it was at that San Francisco marathon where my knees rebelled against the downhills and forced me to stop at mile 21. I was in tears in the ambulance because it was an important goal to me. I'm glad I stopped now, though, otherwise I might not be able to run or bike at all! Speaking of biking, I'm an OK biker, but my husband is a stud and loves to bike; he pushes me to get better, and often offers helpful information to implement in to my training. ...As for swimming, I just started about 2 years ago, and am still desperately trying to improve. I know that I can go the distance in the pool, I'm just uncertain about my technique and my pace.

Who I am: I'm 29 y.o., married with no kids, and live in Spokane, WA. I grew up as the youngest of 8 children (no, I'm not Mormon or Catholic), and can't remember a time when I didn't want to be running around outside. Despite all of my parents attempts, I have always been active -- I saved up for my first "real" road bike when I was 13 years old -- and have long valued fitness as an essential in my life. However, I have never been "the best" in any of the sports I have tried. I work hard to do my personal best, though, and my efforts generally pay off. My husband is a strong encourager of my goals, and this goal is one that we both share and are working towards together!

Oh, I'm a F/T post-grad student with the intention of going to med-school sometime in the near future. Again, I work hard to do my personal best, so I'm hoping that my efforts will pay off.

My ultimate goal is to finish a half-ironman, but there are several races/events leading up to that I anticipate participating in.

I've been presumptuous by including all of this information without a confirmation of being in the group. In order to get your "OK," Michael, I'll include the things that caught my eye in your intro: your optimistic (huge for me) and will likely encourage in that vein; you have participated in TNT, which I think is a notable organization that I have also supported; you're a vegetarian, as am I...I might need pointers on how to get enough fuel involving minimal gas ; and your Helen Keller quote is a good one, a true one.

That's my book. Thanks for reading,

Lesley-Anne
2006-12-23 9:24 AM
in reply to: #632199

User image

Elite

gentle_storm - 2006-12-23 12:46 AM Hi Michael and others, I was drawn to several qualities and personal tidbits that were offered in your introductions, and am wondering if I might join your group? I am a new triathlete-in-training, and think that the accountability and camaraderie will be helpful and inspiring. Like I said, I'm new to triathlons, but have long had it as a goal to do [at least] one. A runner by nature, I have done several 25-Ks and shorter distances, in addition to one marathon. Unfortunately, it was at that San Francisco marathon where my knees rebelled against the downhills and forced me to stop at mile 21. I was in tears in the ambulance because it was an important goal to me. I'm glad I stopped now, though, otherwise I might not be able to run or bike at all! Speaking of biking, I'm an OK biker, but my husband is a stud and loves to bike; he pushes me to get better, and often offers helpful information to implement in to my training. ...As for swimming, I just started about 2 years ago, and am still desperately trying to improve. I know that I can go the distance in the pool, I'm just uncertain about my technique and my pace. Who I am: I'm 29 y.o., married with no kids, and live in Spokane, WA. I grew up as the youngest of 8 children (no, I'm not Mormon or Catholic), and can't remember a time when I didn't want to be running around outside. Despite all of my parents attempts, I have always been active -- I saved up for my first "real" road bike when I was 13 years old -- and have long valued fitness as an essential in my life. However, I have never been "the best" in any of the sports I have tried. I work hard to do my personal best, though, and my efforts generally pay off. My husband is a strong encourager of my goals, and this goal is one that we both share and are working towards together! Oh, I'm a F/T post-grad student with the intention of going to med-school sometime in the near future. Again, I work hard to do my personal best, so I'm hoping that my efforts will pay off. My ultimate goal is to finish a half-ironman, but there are several races/events leading up to that I anticipate participating in. I've been presumptuous by including all of this information without a confirmation of being in the group. In order to get your "OK," Michael, I'll include the things that caught my eye in your intro: your optimistic (huge for me) and will likely encourage in that vein; you have participated in TNT, which I think is a notable organization that I have also supported; you're a vegetarian, as am I...I might need pointers on how to get enough fuel involving minimal gas ; and your Helen Keller quote is a good one, a true one. That's my book. Thanks for reading, Lesley-Anne

What a great introduction Lesley-Anne.  I'd be honored to have you in our group and proud to be your mentor.  Thanks for the compliments!

We appear to have parallel lives in some respects.  Having a strong and supportive spouse who enjoys your successes and encourages you is a definite benefit.  My wife is a strong runner so I draw from her expertise and strength.  I, on the other hand, am a strong cyclist, and she draws on my strength to cross train.

Your running experience gives you a great base to train for long course triathlon.  I think a half-iron distance race is well within your grasp.  Training smart and avoiding injury should be goal #1, particularly if you have past knee injury issues. 

I was introduced to TNT by a friend of mine who was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia, which only gave him a 5% chance of survival.  He survived and is doing fine.  That was 1996.  10 years later and I'm still involved with TNT.  I have coached their cycling program for 9 years and have competed in most of my races wearing my TNT garb.  I believe very much in their mission.  Because of my involvement with TNT and the Leukemia Society I have met a lot of families with children who have cancer.  I draw on the strength of those children to continue pushing myself and inspiring others to "do something".

Be sure and use your training logs to record all of your training and off-training. 

You're going to do great Lesley-Anne.  Our group is going to rock the house! 

2006-12-24 4:07 AM

User image

Hello all,

I would like to join this group if there is room available.

About Me:

I am currently an active duty Army officer stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. My initial branch/occupation was Infantry, but I am here as part of a transition course into a field they call Civil Affairs. I have served at Ft. Benning, GA; Ft. Campbell, KY; and a few lovely locations overseas.

My new interest in triathlon is an extention of this lifestyle...that is running + parachute duty equals bad knees/lower leg injuries. More specifically, it was a chance glance at a tri book in the local barnes and noble that sparked my interest; this was unexpected as I was there to research running specific books to help with my current training, and possibly reduce specific injuries. But, somehow I 'got the bug' and immediatly bought a bike, swimgear, and signed up for a small sprint race in charleston, SC. I was currently on a 10k/10mile/marathon train-up. so biking took a back seat, and swimming was worked in when I could. I just wanted to dabble in the new sport to see if I liked it.

The Army has a facination with running, push-ups, and situps; and, if you can do them well you just might be looked on as a good leader. But, it doesn't take much to 'pass' these tests, and even if you want to be 'good' you only need to focus on 5ks or less. I have been in this group (gym rat + short distance runner) all my Army life, and possibly all my sporting life; I have a wrestling, soccer, and polevaulting background. In fact I always thought they were my strong suit. My body took to explosive, power activites extremely well. Endurance was not something I thought I was good at, but then again it just may be that I never gave it its fair chance.

I am starting to ramble now....anyways, I finished my running goals, finished a sprint-tri, and am now spinning up to do many more. I am hooked.

I would consider my running a strength - current ability 2 mi: 11'40, 5k: 18'00, 10k: 36'40 and training runs handled easily up to 2 hrs.

I would consider my swimming something that needs to be worked on - 1'40-1'45/100m over 1000m TT. I had to learn this skill from scratch about 6 months ago. I am a natural 'sinker' Current ability is 2500m per workout, with long swim being about 1500m. i could go longer, but form would really drop.

I would consider biking a true limiter - which is why I was interested in your group. I have only been getting used to it and have LOTS of questions. In my first tri this leg really hurt me in the overall standings. I believe it is because I did not give it the fair share of training it deserved.
current ability - 17mph over a hilly course. I don't have any flat areas here. But, I would guess I just don't have the ability to push a big gear fast for extended amounts of time. In the little time I have trained this month, I have seen big gains.

My goals are to train for Olympic distance, with most of my races being sprint. I plan on doing the east cooper tri (oly) in march, paris island (sp), lake murray, and charleston sprint series races in jun-aug. Of course I would like to challenge my self to an iron distance race, but I have an affininty to the short stuff, and short course training supports my army physical needs, and family life. Oh, and I hate riding my bike over 21/2-3 hrs.

My training plan starts Jan 1, with 10 session a week ... I will try to stay around 12 hrs. My schedule is best suited by 2 1hr blocks per day during the week, with long stuff on the weekends. But, as with the Army and family life...I am extremely flexible. My training logs will show that I have been getting ready to train over the last 45 days.

About me and my family, I am 35yo married 5 years with 2 young kids. Boy - 3 yr and Girl - 20 months.

Sorry for the ramble, but I hope I can join this group. I am excited to get into my first real triathlon season. I think I have until next october to really train and get a good base before I deploy again. Then its no water and bike. But oh well, I plan to use these periods of deployment to focus on base running, and str cycles.

Thanks,
Ryan
2006-12-24 1:53 PM

New user

Indianapolis, IN
OiPolloi,

I am also interested in joing your group if there is still room. I am 23 years old and just graduated from college in May. I have been active in sports my whole life including playing football at a small college for four years. For my first couple of months after college, I focused solely on my career and pretty much neglected my health. I soon realized how much I missed training and competing and began a strong running regimen. I ran a half marathon in September and am running my first full marathon on January 14th in Arizona through Team in Training. I have no prior triathalon experience, but have a natural inclination for endurance sports and feel like triathalons would be a perfect fit for me. I definitely feel like running is a strong suit, but I have no legitimate experience with biking or swimming other than on a recreational basis. I have a beginner's road bike which I am not even sure would be sufficient for triathalon's.

My goal is to complete and half ironman in July and build up to a full ironman in 2008. I could really use this group's support and advice because of my lack of experience. I am in good physical condition, but really have no idea of how to properly train for swimming or cycling. I have read all of your bio's and am inspired by all of your stories. It seems that you all lead incredibly busy lives and still make time to dedicate yourselves to train. I hope to continue to live that way as well. I hope that I can be part of your group.

Chris
2006-12-25 3:33 AM

User image

New user

Singapore
Hello hello,

There might not be space, but I'm going to give it a shot!

My name is Maia and I'm 23. I've grown up mainly as an expat, but I spent highschool in Chicago, went to Boston College, my mom's side of the family is from Hawaii and many of my friends live in San Diego. So, despite my international/multi-cultural background I'm quite attached to certain beachy outdoorsy areas of the US. I am the oldest of not only 3 kids in my family, but many many cousins as my mom is the oldest of seven! As the oldest I've had to fight my own path most my life. I was the first in my whole family to go to an American university and to also receive a Master's degree. I'm pretty independent, self motivated, and used to taking the road less traveled by. However, I do have a tendency to fall short coming towards the end of a long project which is why I'm really interested in this mentor program. Hopefully with other people involved in my training I'll have enough support to finish strong.

I've been fairly active most my life. When I was younger I was...hyperactive...haha. I couldn't stop running around. I played soccer, volleyball, did track&field and swam through jr high and high school. During college I decided to take up playing rugby. A ruggers body is not necessarily built for endurance races, but my jr year I trained for the Boston marathon. I was training to make a time under 3:45 (the qualifying time for my age group). But it turned out that we had a big rugby tournament the same weekend as the marathon. I ended up not running. Many people think it's a waste that I trained but didn't run the marathon. Yeah, sometimes I do regret it, but the most valuable part that I took away was the journey. Training for the marathon taught me how to make a long term committment, completely changed my perspective on the definition of impossible, and made me discover the power and importance of mental strength.

I finished undergrad in 2005 and went straight into an intensive one year Master's program. I barely had time to do anything besides study let alone work out. That was probably the first time in my life where for at least a year I didn't do any physical activity beyond dancing at a club and man do I feel it in my body. Since I recently just moved out to Singapore, I decided that training for a triathlon would be a good way to make some friends, get stress relief, help me focus and get back in shape! I've been doing some running and stationary biking (don't have a road bike yet), but it's incredibly frustrating being at the level I'm at now and knowing what I used to be capable of. One step at a time, I know. Anyway, I'm interested in joining this group because of OiPolloi's bike experience and enthusiasm. I think I can figure my way around the swim and run of triathlons, but biking on a road bike competitively is really new to me. I'm also excited to be around people who tri for more than themselves and aren't afraid to push their boundaries. My long term goal is to complete the first Half Ironman being held in Singapore on Sept 2 2007. Honestly, I'd like to more than just complete it. I'd like to do it well. Between now and then there are several triathlons I'd like to do along the way.

that's about it for now.

happy holidays!!

maia
2006-12-26 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: OiPolloi's Group - FULL

Welcome all mentorees to my group!  What an amazing group of people you all are.  Many diverse backgrounds and varying accomplishments and goals.  This has got to be the best group of people on BT.  I'm honored! 

Here's our group so far....

Elizabeth: (Summer_2005) New Haven CT
Jason: (gr8jason) San Antonio
Lesley-Anne: (gentle_storm) Spokane WA
Ryan: (hanson1427) Ft. Bragg NC
Chris: (ogdenc)
Maia: (two_degrees_north) Singapore

A few requests....
1) Add a photo to your profile so we have a visual reference of you.  It doesn't have to be a photo of yourself (see my green Llama). 
2) Link this groups URL to your training log "URL list" so that you have easy access to this group forum.
3) Select "Toggle Email Notification" for this forum so you'll receive an email every time someone posts to this forum.
4) Start using your logs.  Even if you're not currently training, let us know what you're up to.  If your logs are blank you're going to get poked and prodded to get your butt moving.
5) Add EACH of our groups members to your Blog list so you can check one another's progress DAILEY.  To get there to go your 'Control Panel' and 'Edit Your Training Settings'.

Feel free to use this forum as a place to talk amongst one another or PM or email me or other members.  Your choice. 

Be active!  Not only in your training but with each other.  The great thing about BT is the amount of motivation and inspiration we get from one another.  You all have a lot of important goals for this new year so lets help each other achieve them.

Now......lets get going!

Edited by oipolloi 2006-12-26 9:26 AM
2006-12-26 9:32 AM
in reply to: #632528

User image

Elite

hanson1427 - 2006-12-24 4:07 AM Hello all, I would like to join this group if there is room available. About Me: I am currently an active duty Army officer stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. .<snip>. Thanks, Ryan

Hello Ryan and Welcome to my group of mentorees.  I am honored you chose me to help mentor you in the upcoming season of Triathlon training.

Be sure and take full advantage of this web site and this forum.  There are no stupid questions.  If I don't know the answer then I'm sure there are a thousand others on BT who can.

Be safe out there and THANK YOU for all you do for the safety and security of our country.  Much Respect!

Now get moving!

2006-12-26 9:37 AM
in reply to: #632645

User image

Elite

ogdenc - 2006-12-24 1:53 PM OiPolloi, I am also interested in joing your group if there is still room. I am 23 years old and just graduated from college in May. <...snip...> My goal is to complete and half ironman in July and build up to a full ironman in 2008. I could really use this group's support and advice because of my lack of experience. I am in good physical condition, but really have no idea of how to properly train for swimming or cycling. I have read all of your bio's and am inspired by all of your stories. It seems that you all lead incredibly busy lives and still make time to dedicate yourselves to train. I hope to continue to live that way as well. I hope that I can be part of your group. Chris

Welcome Chris!

Sounds like you will have a busy year ahead of you....as do most of us.  Adding three training disciplines will only add to our business but will also keep our lives balanced and healthy. 

Be sure and post or email any questions you have.  Try and be as active as possible in this forum and in your personal training logs.

Good luck!

Edited by oipolloi 2006-12-26 9:38 AM
2006-12-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: #632800

User image

Elite

two degrees north - 2006-12-25 3:33 AM Hello hello, There might not be space, but I'm going to give it a shot! My name is Maia and I'm 23. I've grown up mainly as an expat, but I spent highschool in Chicago, went to Boston College, my mom's side of the family is from Hawaii and many of my friends live in San Diego. .<snip..>. Hopefully with other people involved in my training I'll have enough support to finish strong. <...snip...>, I'm interested in joining this group because of OiPolloi's bike experience and enthusiasm. I think I can figure my way around the swim and run of triathlons, but biking on a road bike competitively is really new to me. I'm also excited to be around people who tri for more than themselves and aren't afraid to push their boundaries. My long term goal is to complete the first Half Ironman being held in Singapore on Sept 2 2007. Honestly, I'd like to more than just complete it. I'd like to do it well. Between now and then there are several triathlons I'd like to do along the way. that's about it for now. happy holidays!! maia

Welcome Maia!

What an interesting background.  Adding Triathlon to your accomplishments and "life's list" will be the icing on the cake. 

As I said in my bio, I am a cyclist first, with MANY years of experience not only in racing but coaching and teaching.  I am also fairly advanced (in my opinion) in my knowledge of sports nutrition and diet.  I've not only read countless books but I've also made EVERY mistake a person can make when it comes to sports nutrition errors.  I've learned a lot over the years and am anxious to share what knowledge I have.  I'm also here to learn from all of you.  You all have different levels of sports training and life experience that I can draw on.

Good luck in your training.  Be active and make full use of all of what BT has to offer. 

Let's get started....!

2006-12-29 4:34 AM

User image

New user

Singapore

Hello everyone!
I hope Christmas treated everyone well. It's a little bit of the off season for triathlon training here in Singapore since it's raining - A LOT. To make use of time I've been bicycle hunting. I feel incredibly lost in all the different bike options and parts! At the moment I'm aiming for something cheap that will retain some value when I sell it. I intend on selling my first bike because either 1) I'll discover I don't like/don't have time for tri-ing   2) I'm going to upgrade before the Half IM in September.

*Does anyone have any advice? Is the hype about WSD worth it? (I looked at a trek road bike and the women's version is about 100 more Singapore dollars)
*I've been given little bits of advice about getting a reversible seat post so you can convert a road bike to a tri bike by changing the angle of the seat and clipping on some aerobars. What's do you guys think about this?
*So far my cheapest option for a new bike is a Trek 1000 and according to some people's opinion I was told that it comes with a groupset that is a bit out dated and will be phased out. Yes, no?
*Any advice for a beginner user of clipless pedals. Should I get them with the bike or wait a bit (waiting for what, I'm not sure)?
*How can I build up strength/endurance so I can get out on training rides with the regular triathletes over here without getting crushed riding alone? The drivers here aren't very savvy about cyclists on the road because it's quite rare. I've been told by several people that it can be dangerous if you're not riding in a group. I'm pretty sure I can't keep up with the riders out there at the moment. Anyone have experience with a bike unfriendly road environment and how to get started?
*Any suggestions for bike/tri gear? What are some must haves that I should get that I might not be aware of.... (to trisuit or not to trisuit?)

Okay I think those are my main questions going into the new year (and a post xmas shopping spree).

Happy training!

2006-12-29 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
That's a lot of questions!

Some advice:

1) Try to find a more mellow/beginner-oriented group ride. Your local bike shop can help you with this. Barring that, check out your area at different times of the day. I only ride from my house on Sundays and very early (before 6:30) on weekdays and Saturdays. Dress brightly - my road jersey looks like two highlighters threw up on me. Also check for trails in your area.

2) I would not, honestly, buy a "throw-away" bike at this point. I had a hybrid for a while, and then I saved up and tested all over for my first road bike. It has 105 components, is very light, and I am happy with it. I still use the hybrid for trails and knocking around town. If you want a bike for just a few months, borrow, go used, or get a hybrid that you can use for other things after you upgrade. And buy and learn to use a flat kit.

3) Go for the clipless pedals, but make sure you have a safe spot (parking lot, etc.) to practice getting in and out. I used cages to "ease" into it, and cages are actually harder to get out of. Have them fitted for a quick release. This will also get you started with bike shoes - I know lots of people who have arch pain resulting from cycling in sneakers.

4) The first bit of tri clothing you should get for competition is a pair of tri shorts. You can wear your bra with them for the swim, then pull on a t-shirt in transition. I need a bra, so a tri-suit doesn't make as much sense. A very bright shirt/jersey for road riding is also important, as are lights/reflective items if you plan to exercise close to dusk/dawn.
2006-12-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: #636145

User image

Elite
two degrees north - 2006-12-29 4:34 AM

Hello everyone!
I hope Christmas treated everyone well. It's a little bit of the off season for triathlon training here in Singapore since it's raining - A LOT. To make use of time I've been bicycle hunting. I feel incredibly lost in all the different bike options and parts! At the moment I'm aiming for something cheap that will retain some value when I sell it. I intend on selling my first bike because either 1) I'll discover I don't like/don't have time for tri-ing   2) I'm going to upgrade before the Half IM in September.

Great avatar (user picture) Maia!  As an art school graduate I appreciate the color and composition.  Well done.

I'll answer your questions below.  Let me know if you need more info because I'll try and keep my responses brief.

*Does anyone have any advice? Is the hype about WSD worth it? (I looked at a trek road bike and the women's version is about 100 more Singapore dollars)
WSD (women specific design) is worth it if you have typical female proportions.  The handlebars are closer to the seat so your weight is distributed more evenly between your hips and hands. As a result of a woman’s pelvic structure, more pressure is exerted on your lower back. Thus, a less aggressive riding position is more comfortable, and also more efficient and powerful.  My wife rides a WSD and is very comfortable.  Only you can determine if the extra money is worth it.  The more comfortable you are the more you'll be willing to ride and tri.  The less comfortable, the less you'll ride.  My opinion: You can never spend too much money on your health and fitness.

*I've been given little bits of advice about getting a reversible seat post so you can convert a road bike to a tri bike by changing the angle of the seat and clipping on some aerobars. What's do you guys think about this?
If you can find them for a reasonable price, then sure.  But be careful....if you're fit to your bike properly you don't want to mess with the set-up to adjust for a race.  If you add aero bars and a reversible post you want to train that way and do 90% of your riding in that position.  You can still get "aero" without changing the seat angle.  I'd say start with aero bars first.  See if you like the position and are comfortable for long rides.  Riding aero is a whole new skill since you're basically steering with your elbows.  The seat angle will effect your leg strength while in the aero position.

*So far my cheapest option for a new bike is a Trek 1000 and according to some people's opinion I was told that it comes with a groupset that is a bit out dated and will be phased out. Yes, no?
The Trek 1000 comes with Sora & Tiagra components.  Sora is junk.  The brake hood shifters are Sora and do not operate cleanly.  However don't let this deter you if this bike is in your price range.  If you can find a year-end closeout bike, or a used bike that's only a couple years old but with better components like Shimano 105 or Ultegra then that might be a better bet.  But again, a new bike with lower end components is better than a old cunker that has mechanical issues.

*Any advice for a beginner user of clipless pedals. Should I get them with the bike or wait a bit (waiting for what, I'm not sure)?
Yes.  Go clipless.  Its natural progression for every cyclist to eventually go clipless, so why not do it now.  There are too many benefits to clipless to mention.  Most important is the power transfer and bike control benefit of clipless pedals.  Just be careful the first few rides and practice, practice practice! 

*How can I build up strength/endurance so I can get out on training rides with the regular triathletes over here without getting crushed riding alone?
Ride Lots!  The more you ride, the stronger you'll get.  Not to mention, the cycle portion of a triathlon is where you separate yourself from weaker competitors.  You can be a poor swimmer and a so-so runner and still win races with strong bike skills.  The cycle leg is the longest leg of any triathlon and you can make up the most time on two wheels.  To get strong ride hills.  No hills?  Do repeats like in running.  Practice sprinting intervals if you're looking for explosive strength.  Do loooooong rides if endurance is what you're after.  Just ride as much as you can and make each workout count.

The drivers here aren't very savvy about cyclists on the road because it's quite rare. I've been told by several people that it can be dangerous if you're not riding in a group. I'm pretty sure I can't keep up with the riders out there at the moment. Anyone have experience with a bike unfriendly road environment and how to get started?
Be seen.  Be conspicuous.  Be predictable.  Be a vehicle.  Most car vs bike accidents occur when riders ride outside of their abilities, meaning, they ride in traffic when they're not confident enough to do so.  You have to be confident and ride like you're a car.  If a driver sees a bike ahead and it looks like the rider doesn't know what its doing they're most likely to treat you like a pedestrian rather than a vehicle.  Ride in the right 3rd of the lane of traffic, about 2-3 feet away from the edge of pavement.  Use hand signals and keep your head up.  Look drivers in the eye and never assume you know what drivers are going to do.  Like anything, practice makes perfect.  I ride in traffic a lot because I commute to work by bike.  I feel as safe on my bike as I do in my car.  BE SAFE!

*Any suggestions for bike/tri gear? What are some must haves that I should get that I might not be aware of.... (to trisuit or not to trisuit?)
Trisuits aren't necessary.  A good jersey (body conforming) and a good pair of cycle shorts or tri shorts (less padding) are all you need....well, a helmet, gloves, etc as well.  If you like the feel of a tri suit then by all means, buy one.  But most beginners and AG'ers (age groupers) ride with tri tops or cycle top and bike shorts.

Those were GREAT questions.  Be sure and reply with any clarification or if you need more info.

Edited by oipolloi 2006-12-29 9:34 AM

2006-12-29 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Re: The brake hood shifters are Sora and do not operate cleanly.

If you look at a couple different Shimano shifters, you will see that the Sora shifters are enormous. The 105s are quite a bit smaller but still somewhat of a stretch for smaller (ie. female) hands. I cannot imagine doing 50+ miles with those ginormous shifters.
2006-12-29 12:06 PM

User image

San Antonio
Should I incorporate some kinda weight training (light weights of course) into my training? Some basic lifts Squats, Barbell Flys, chest exercises or should I hold off on these?
2006-12-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: #636583

User image

Elite

gr8jason - 2006-12-29 12:06 PM Should I incorporate some kinda weight training (light weights of course) into my training? Some basic lifts Squats, Barbell Flys, chest exercises or should I hold off on these?

Weight training is Good as long as its Strength training and not necessarily for bulk.  If your focus is Triathlon, then your strength training should consist of lifting that develops your Tri muscle groups.  Core strength is probably the most important.  Your Core controls your entire body movement, not only in the water but in running and cycling as well.  Swimming also uses muscle groups in your arms, shoulders and back.  Cycling and Running are weight lifting in themselves (so to speak).  So adding leg lifts to a routine may not be the best idea if you're pounding out serious Bike mileage in training.  But, since this is the Off-season you're most likely NOT getting much bike mileage or heavy run mileage.  Just incorporate Core routines in your weight program.

Bottom line:  Weight or Strength training is Good all around, but Great during the off season.  Just don't over Lift your muscles so much that you can't get in your tri training.

Another great question Jason!

Edited by oipolloi 2006-12-31 3:12 PM
2006-12-31 3:07 PM

User image

Hey all,
Hope you all have a great new year.

Sorry I haven't kept up lately with the board, but I just got done doing a cross country drive with the wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs.....ahhhhhh. Joys! It was worth it however, we went to see family in the north.

My training suffered a little, only got to run, and swim a few times. Couldn't take my bike. Not to mention it was darn cold up there!

Well, if you remember from my intro...real training starts tomm. Everything up to this was maintenance and a preparation. Can't wait to finally get back into a real routine.

Good luck all on the new year!

Ryan
2006-12-31 3:10 PM
in reply to: #637911

User image

Elite

hanson1427 - 2006-12-31 3:07 PMHey all,Hope you all have a great new year.Sorry I haven't kept up lately with the board, but I just got done doing a cross country drive with the wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs.....ahhhhhh. Joys! It was worth it however, we went to see family in the north.My training suffered a little, only got to run, and swim a few times. Couldn't take my bike. Not to mention it was darn cold up there!Well, if you remember from my intro...real training starts tomm. Everything up to this was maintenance and a preparation. Can't wait to finally get back into a real routine. Good luck all on the new year!Ryan

Glad to hear you survived the road trip.

Happy New Year to you and best wishes kicking off the new training season tomorrow.

Edited by oipolloi 2006-12-31 3:12 PM

2007-01-01 1:27 AM

User image

New user

Singapore

Happy 2007 Everyone!!

I have a question - how do we pronounce oipolloi?

Thanks for all the input! I've decided to get the WSD Trek bike with clipless pedals once the stores open after the holidays. I have a few connections with bike people who are looking into second hand bikes. Since I'm short I don't think there are many options out there because a lot of the used bikes I've seen are too big for me.

I don't really know how to approach bike training. I've been riding on a stationary bike at the gym (okay not true, haven't been since the holidays came around). A few weeks ago when I was training kind of regularly I would ride for 45-60 minutes at around 80-90 rpm with a few 15 second sprints above 110 to break the boredom (I get bored easily indoors, can't wait to start riding outside!!). I guess my question is, is this the right approach? I've heard a lot about cadence in biking, but I don't really have any idea what it is.

Also, does anyone have a workout that's focused on biking and swimming? I'm trying to keep the running minimal because I've been feeling a little bit funny in my hips and lower back (probably too much jumping around and dancing over the holidays). I want to keep the impact low on my joints until I build up more strength and I don't want to get injured for my soccer season starting in Feb.

I've also joined in on the "Train Smart, Race Fast" 3 Month Challenge. It looks like a good way for people who've been away from training to kick off the new year.

Well, that's my new year update. I got my resolutions laid out now I just need to jump on it!!

Happy training everyone!

2007-01-01 12:14 PM
in reply to: #638200

User image

Elite
two degrees north - 2007-01-01 1:27 AM

Happy 2007 Everyone!!

I have a question - how do we pronounce oipolloi?

Thanks for all the input! I've decided to get the WSD Trek bike with clipless pedals once the stores open after the holidays. I have a few connections with bike people who are looking into second hand bikes. Since I'm short I don't think there are many options out there because a lot of the used bikes I've seen are too big for me.

I don't really know how to approach bike training. I've been riding on a stationary bike at the gym (okay not true, haven't been since the holidays came around). A few weeks ago when I was training kind of regularly I would ride for 45-60 minutes at around 80-90 rpm with a few 15 second sprints above 110 to break the boredom (I get bored easily indoors, can't wait to start riding outside!!). I guess my question is, is this the right approach? I've heard a lot about cadence in biking, but I don't really have any idea what it is.

Also, does anyone have a workout that's focused on biking and swimming? I'm trying to keep the running minimal because I've been feeling a little bit funny in my hips and lower back (probably too much jumping around and dancing over the holidays). I want to keep the impact low on my joints until I build up more strength and I don't want to get injured for my soccer season starting in Feb.

I've also joined in on the "Train Smart, Race Fast" 3 Month Challenge. It looks like a good way for people who've been away from training to kick off the new year.

Well, that's my new year update. I got my resolutions laid out now I just need to jump on it!!

Happy training everyone!

Happy New Year to you Maia and everyone else!

Very good questions above.  I want to take some time and answer them with detail.  Right now I just stopped in to check on emails so I don't have time for a full response.  I just wanted to let you know I'll be back shortly with detailed answers to your questions.

Congrats on the bike decision.  You'll have to let us know if/when you bring your new baby home.

Talk soon. -

2007-01-02 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
My turn for a question (and yay for new bikes!):

My knee is a lot stronger and I've started spinning again. There is an instructor at the gym that I really, really like. If spinning is my only interval training, is it okay to do it twice a week (on non-consecutive days?).
2007-01-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: #638912

User image

Elite

summer_2005 - 2007-01-02 8:42 AM My turn for a question (and yay for new bikes!): My knee is a lot stronger and I've started spinning again. There is an instructor at the gym that I really, really like. If spinning is my only interval training, is it okay to do it twice a week (on non-consecutive days?).

Happy New Year Elizabeth.

Yes.  Twice a week should be fine.  Assuming your spin instructor isn't the type that has you jumping and doing aerobatics like I've heard some instructors do.  If you're class consists of mainly "Spinning Intervals" then twice a week should be fine as long as your knee holds up.  Back off if its start acting up. 

Another knee stressing workout is low-cadence drills.  If your instructor has you do them (50-60 RPM) then I'd say shy away from them and keep your cadence up (85-95) to avoid stressing your knees to much.

Spin away!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » OiPolloi's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4