General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 45m 55s
Overall Rank = 147/264
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 16/24
Pre-race routine:

We drove up on Saturday night, Me, my dad (Triowa) and my mom. Checked out packet pickup and got everything we needed. Took a jog down to the beach and and found out, yes, 1.2 miles looks hecka far in the water. We tried driving the start of the bike course, but we got lost about 3 times and gave up. The directions weren't the greatest. We headed back to the hotel in Appleton, got everything put in there and headed out to hear Dick Hoyt speak. Not without stopping by a scrapbook store for my mom though, she needs to have her fun too. The Hoyt speech was very cool and I was able to shake his hand and get a picture with him. I'm a super huge fan of what the Hoyts do, especially due to the fact that me and my father most often triathlon together. After that we ate at some italian restaurant right out of the Godfather, and ate way to much food. Finally it was "Hitch" and bedtime.
Event warmup:

Woke up, drove to the race site, no warm up. Noticed some really strange particles in the water, got cold, freaked out, siren wails, I begin.
Swim
  • 37m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim looked really long. You were able to walk about the first 50 meters and I chose to do that because the people in front of me would just have been kicking me in the face. I finally got in, fell right into rhythym. And honestly, before I knew it, the first corner bouy appeared, AWESOME! I have little experience in open water swiming, but luckily each corner had a huge boat by it, which made for easy sighting. I hung with an older gentleman for the second stretch and that side went pretty easy too. I was sighting every third breath and seemed to be doing great. The back stretch was the longest and I accidentally started thinking the large bouy was the corner, but much to my disappointment it was only halfway. I found the corner boat, and decided I could probably put a little more into the swim. Once I turned the final corner the sighting problems began as we were heading right into the glare of the sun. I just followed the splashing and was able to come out of the water in a pretty decent swim time for my lack of training.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably go a little harder, and most definitely no longer fear the open water. 40 minutes allows you to get pretty used to it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

I've always heard to take it slow, so I did. A little jog and some walking. I decided to wear a bike jersey, in order to hold nutrition, as well as socks. Without too much trouble I was off.

I could probably fly a HIM transition just like a sprint if I was really looking to take time off. I was merely looking to enjoy the day and get an Iron distance under my belt before September.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was probably my weakest point. I didn't really give it a race effort, and to be perfectly honest, I was okay with the ride. I went out up high cliff hill, which really wasn't the bad as long as you geared down. I passed a ton of sprint atheletes at this point, but once they turned off I realized I was quite along. I began getting doubts about going the right way, ever since dropping from 2nd to 4th in a sprint I'm always afraid of taking a wrong turn. I finally found some others and eased up until about mile 8, when I had to go to the bathroom. I waited, and waited, and waited for an aid station and luckily it had a porta-john. Quick release and I was on my way, feeling much better. I stuck to my nutrition of a gel every 30 minutes and and some Endurance here and there. The 15-35 was great and I was doing excellent. I had my average up to the mid 19's. Then it hit again, I needed the bathroom. I really didn't understand this, because I was not THAT well hydrated. I fell of nutrition as I didn't want to consume liquid and actually when 20 miles having to go to the bathroom until transition. It was misereable. I wished I would have just pulled over to the side of the road, found a tree, and ended the pain. I think I would have turned in a 19-20 mph average had I not had bathroom issues so often. I did however sprint like heck when I got to about 53-54. Rolled into transition happy as could be, seeing as I could finally pee.

Learn to pee myself. I tried soooo many times.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

I pee'd, I was happy. Time to run. I actually switched into my tri-top. Why? So I look good for the pictures of course.

Not too much.
Run
  • 1h 56m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out pretty fast, and really there isn't much to this part of the story. I slowly, got slower until finally the last two miles were nearing the 10 minute pace and I picked it up because kids like me can't stand to see double digit mile times. It was cool run, but it was a two loop course, so I became dillusional the second lap and really don't remember anything. I was just running thinking about anything but slow, pain, and mile markers. Eventually I hit mile 12 marker and took off. I sprinted into the finish line like a little kid. I never know where I get that energy. But hey! Gotta look good for the camera.

Nothing, I ran well. Water and Enduro's made this run happen though.
Post race

Last updated: 2007-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 112/264
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:38 | 56 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Overall: 218/264
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:56:09 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 92/264
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-24 9:08 PM

User image

New user
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman

2007-06-24 9:20 PM
in reply to: #857941

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman

Nice race miler! Yeah, I wish I could lose those double digit mile times

Beautiful day wasn't it?!? And yeah, the water was a bit creepy...didn't like having to stand in it for so long. Toes got froze.

Good race dude!

2007-06-25 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Great race Matt.  Your run split was incredible.   Your bike pace was still very good despite your problems.  Your bathroom issues might have been a blessing in disguise if they prevented you from going out too hard on the bike.  This is a very common first-timer problem in a HIM, and the fact that were able to run well says that you probably paced well on the bike.  Pacing will be even more important for IMMOO!

Congrats on your first HIM!

2007-06-25 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Congrats.  Sorry for your problems on the bike.  I have been trying to learn to pee on myself to avoid this problem, but it is not that easy. 
2007-06-25 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Wow! Very well done! I hope to be able to hold my schtuff together enough and be fit enough to do High Cliff next year--how was that hill they talk about? Supposed to be killer?? Or maybe that's just an exaggeration? I think it's fantastic that your family is so supportive! I hope to do tri's with my kids some day, too! (if they will slow down for their old ma).
2007-06-25 6:17 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Great race

I went to the Dick Hoyt thing too... very inspirational.  "I CAN!"

2007-06-25 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Nice race!!!! Personally 10 min miles in a HIM would be good for me .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed