BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2007-12-17 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: guncollector's group -- FULL!

NAME: Ron Wu (San Francisco, California), AG Men's 40-44

STORY: I started this triathlon odyssey back in June '06. I was a high-school and collegiate soccer and tennis player (and big alpine skier), but my fitness dropped off progressively after graduating. Between work, getting married, and having kids, I was basically inactive for many years--and put on a few pounds. I got a wake-up call in the summer of '06. I started swimming (from a total non-swimming background), then running, then biking, and in my first Season tri season (2007) I completed four triathlons--2 Sprints, 1 Olympic, and 1 HIM.

I have trained without sacrificing work or family, and therein lies the trick to enjoying this sport IMO.

In 2007 I raced for both the (quasi-sponsor) TeamGU, and also my athletic club, The Olympic Club in San Francisco.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 10 years, with 2 lovely girls (8 and 5).

CURRENT TRAINING: Long course. Currently have scheduled for 2008, 1 Sprint, 1 Olympic, 1 Half-Ironman, and 1 Ironman (Louisville or bust!).

THIS (2007) YEAR'S RACES:
- Napa Valley Sprint (AG 7/28)
- TFR #2 Olympic (AG 15/33)
- Big Kahuna 70.3 (AG 52/97)
- SF Sprint @Treasure Island (AG 3/36)

2008 RACES:
- (5/08) Napa Valley Vintage Half-Iron Distance, Napa Calif.
- (8/08) Ironman Louisville
- (9/08) Hong Kong ITU Olympic
- (11/08) SF Triathlon @ Treasure Island

WEIGHTLOSS: Since 2006, dropped 30 lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've really enjoyed the community here at BT and all the great information and support I've received over the past year-and-a-half. I'd really like to give back to the community, and help anyone/anybody looking for support.

In particular, I believe I can offer advice (though not necessarily limited to) working parents trying to get into triathlon while balancing work and family.

Also, to those (again not necessarily limited to) newbies feeling up for the challenge
of attempting long-course racing in their first season or two.

But, I am willing/able to help all newbies. Just in this last year I have mentored two of my sister-in-laws from "zero" racing experience to half-marathons completions--and am working on the triathlon prospect now. And, I also have encouraged and guided a number of buddies with no triathlon experience to completing their first!

I'm here on the site pretty much every day (at at minimum to blog my training), and also to check on inspires from my buddies list.

P.S. All mentoree's of mine can have an animated avatar like mine (as I'm pretty adept at Adobe ImageReady)!

Edited by guncollector 2008-02-11 12:14 PM

2007-12-29 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN
I'd like you to be my mentor for the '08 Tri season. I'm a noob to the tri community, however I've been part of the BT website for a year. I joined initially as a way to track my workouts as I joined a fitness competition at work. I've since found the desire to complete a tri.

My '08 goals are to complete 2 tri's, one in June (Sprint) and one in August (Olympic). I also plan to run a few 5k races and a half marathon in September.

I'm married with an 18 month old daughter and I work as a full-time firefighter/paramedic (24 hour shifts). I attempt to regularly run on a treadmill and/or do weightlifting while on shift.

I'm looking forward to a great year of racing. I'll also be competing in another fitness challenge at work from Jan 7 to April 7.

2007-12-29 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1121965

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

JHagerman - 2007-12-29 10:52 AM I'd like you to be my mentor for the '08 Tri season. I'm a noob to the tri community, however I've been part of the BT website for a year. I joined initially as a way to track my workouts as I joined a fitness competition at work. I've since found the desire to complete a tri. My '08 goals are to complete 2 tri's, one in June (Sprint) and one in August (Olympic). I also plan to run a few 5k races and a half marathon in September. I'm married with an 18 month old daughter and I work as a full-time firefighter/paramedic (24 hour shifts). I attempt to regularly run on a treadmill and/or do weightlifting while on shift. I'm looking forward to a great year of racing. I'll also be competing in another fitness challenge at work from Jan 7 to April 7.

Right on, Jeremy!  Welcome aboard!

2007-12-30 9:28 AM

Hi there. I'm not intellectually new to tri, but physically I am. I have done a lot of reading and learning about triathlon. I am 40 years old, and I have had the dream of completing one or more tris since my 20s. I started training on my own 2 years ago, then I stumbled and lost my focus.

Now, I'm ready to do it. I'd love to be in this group because family & work & training is an area that I need guidance on. I am a full-time high school teacher and have three boys: 15, 12, and 8.

Looking forward and upward, Laura
2007-12-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1122693

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

TriforLife67 - 2007-12-30 7:28 AM Hi there. I'm not intellectually new to tri, but physically I am. I have done a lot of reading and learning about triathlon. I am 40 years old, and I have had the dream of completing one or more tris since my 20s. I started training on my own 2 years ago, then I stumbled and lost my focus. Now, I'm ready to do it. I'd love to be in this group because family & work & training is an area that I need guidance on. I am a full-time high school teacher and have three boys: 15, 12, and 8. Looking forward and upward, Laura

Ahoy, Laura!  Welcome aboard! 

2007-12-30 10:13 AM

User image

Ron, I would also like to join.  I am a married 40 year old father of one, I work a lot and thus have to balance training and life.  I did two sprints last year and an olympic lat year.  This year the plan is to do two olympics and get better on the sprints.  When I started I could only swim about a lap but now that is my favorite part and my goal this year is to improve on the bike.  I spend a lot of time reading about workout and often experiment with different workouts so I hope I can help all and learn a lot from all in this group.  Lastly, I am lousy at tech so an avatar for me is like magic!!!!!

2007-12-30 10:18 AM

User image

Ron, I would also like to join.  I am a married 40 year old father of one, I work a lot and thus have to balance training and life.  I did two sprints last year and an olympic lat year.  This year the plan is to do two olympics and get better on the sprints.  When I started I could only swim about a lap but now that is my favorite part and my goal this year is to improve on the bike.  I spend a lot of time reading about workout and often experiment with different workouts so I hope I can help all and learn a lot from all in this group.  Lastly, I am lousy at tech so an avatar for me is like magic!!!!!

2007-12-30 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1122739

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
tonyladd - 2007-12-30 8:13 AM

Ron, I would also like to join. I am a married 40 year old father of one, I work a lot and thus have to balance training and life. I did two sprints last year and an olympic lat year. This year the plan is to do two olympics and get better on the sprints. When I started I could only swim about a lap but now that is my favorite part and my goal this year is to improve on the bike. I spend a lot of time reading about workout and often experiment with different workouts so I hope I can help all and learn a lot from all in this group. Lastly, I am lousy at tech so an avatar for me is like magic!!!!!

Tony, permission to board, granted, Matey! 

2007-12-31 9:13 AM

User image

Greetings! I would like to join your group as well.

I am 31, 6'1" 195lbs State police officer and Platoon Sergeant in the Army reserve (Military Police). I am also in a serious rock band which I have to try to work around as well. I have two beautiful daughters, 2yrs and 2 months. Some insight on time management strategies would be very appreciated!

Fitness background:
I'm a natural athlete, I played H.S, College football, H.S Baseball etc. and have always maintained at least a semi-state of fitness. Although for the last six years I have primarily only lifted wieghts.

I am a newbie but I am familiar with BT.com. I actually started a Sprint program last spring and was very dedicated and determined to compete in my first sprint around May but due to numerous training excercises etc. that requiered me to be out of town for weeks at a time I had completely fell off the horse by July and never raced...it burns my ! I was in great shape and was totally shredded but I couldn't put everything into it so I deceded to wait and start fresh when I could better dedicate my self.

At the end of Oct. I imported an Olympic maintenance program to just whip myself into shape in preparation for 01 January 2008. I start today and my goal is to race a sprint and Olympic Tri this year...maybe more depending on how I progress.

I'm really not sure how to best approach my training right now or at what level because I am in much better endurance shape right now from the start than I was last year. Thanks!!!
2007-12-31 11:01 AM

Sorry for being so basic in question but I genuinely need some advice for a triathlon I am doing.
Myself and 3 other guys from Northern Ireland, all from a military/physical training background are going to help raise money for a very worthy- currently underfunded local child development centre.

The triathlon is the last Saturday in May 2008 and the distances are:
40 x 25m swim(in pool)
20 miles cycle
5 miles run.

We are all fairly fit and can do all the individual disciplines well at present.

We now seek expert advice on all aspects of triathlon including 20 week plan, nutrition, equipment, raceday planning/advice.

Can you guys help us prepare for this so that we dont overtrain? We all have strong discipline and run the danger of overdoing it.

If any of you would like more information on this project pls ask.

Thanks in advance
2007-12-31 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1124116

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Layne, welcome aboard!

2007-12-31 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1124435

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

fooddestroyer - 2007-12-31 9:01 AM Sorry for being so basic in question but I genuinely need some advice for a triathlon I am doing. Myself and 3 other guys from Northern Ireland, all from a military/physical training background are going to help raise money for a very worthy- currently underfunded local child development centre. The triathlon is the last Saturday in May 2008 and the distances are: 40 x 25m swim(in pool) 20 miles cycle 5 miles run. We are all fairly fit and can do all the individual disciplines well at present. We now seek expert advice on all aspects of triathlon including 20 week plan, nutrition, equipment, raceday planning/advice. Can you guys help us prepare for this so that we dont overtrain? We all have strong discipline and run the danger of overdoing it. If any of you would like more information on this project pls ask. Thanks in advance

FD,

Well, sounds like you--and your mates--definitely have the prerequisite discipline for this sport. As far as implementing a plan, I would direct you to any of the number of excellent Beginnertriathlete.com Training Plans.

Judging by the race distances you've listed, your race is an "Olympic Distance" race--the longer of the two "short-course triathlon" distances. No small feat, but well within the realm of fit soldiers.

You're more than welcome to our Mentoring Group...and I will offer all the assistance I can in helping you implement your training plans, and staying away from the brink of "Overreach" and/or "Overtraining"--two concepts we'll discuss here at length I'm sure.

Cheers!

Edited by guncollector 2007-12-31 12:13 PM
2007-12-31 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1124605

thanks for havin us buddie.

I looked at the training plans but the most accurate 20 week olympic plan seems extreme?

have you anything you could help us taper.

Also is this the way we communicate with you ?

As regards diet, have you any templates?

2007-12-31 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi I was wondering if I could join your group?
I am a 34 year old married guy with four kids and greatly appreciate your comments about juggling family work and training. I am also a total newbie. I live in central Washington. For goals I am going to try to do one event per month starting in March and going through October. My first two are duathlons as it will still be too cold to swim in March and April. Like others I also want to lose weight. I weighed 250 and am down to 210 but I need to get down to 170. I need a sport with life long training so I have life long health and fitness. Without a goal I could never find the motivation to train. I also would like to do a ironman toward the end of 2009. My biggest need right now is getting structure to my workouts. I am trying to do the swim, bike, run cyckle two tiumes a week but I am not sure this is the best. I also know I should be hitting the weights but don't even know where to start. And most importantly...thanks for wanting to be a mentor. I would like to be a triathlete for a long time but know I can't do it on my own.
Scott
2007-12-31 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1125228

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
holt1997 - 2007-12-31 3:06 PM Hi I was wondering if I could join your group? I am a 34 year old married guy with four kids and greatly appreciate your comments about juggling family work and training. I am also a total newbie. I live in central Washington. For goals I am going to try to do one event per month starting in March and going through October. My first two are duathlons as it will still be too cold to swim in March and April. Like others I also want to lose weight. I weighed 250 and am down to 210 but I need to get down to 170. I need a sport with life long training so I have life long health and fitness. Without a goal I could never find the motivation to train. I also would like to do a ironman toward the end of 2009. My biggest need right now is getting structure to my workouts. I am trying to do the swim, bike, run cyckle two tiumes a week but I am not sure this is the best. I also know I should be hitting the weights but don't even know where to start. And most importantly...thanks for wanting to be a mentor. I would like to be a triathlete for a long time but know I can't do it on my own. Scott
you're in, bro!
2008-01-01 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- Closed (for now), thanks!
Hi Ron and group,
Is this where we post questions etc? If so I have seen mentioned burnout and overtraining. What is overtraining, how do I recognize it and how do I prevent it. SOmetimes I go out for a run etc and feel whooped . Other times I feel great. Just wondering what I am looking for.
Thanks again for your help.
Scott

2008-01-03 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
hey gang, I'm out of town with limited Internet access. be back this weekend to answer questions and discuss! sorry for being out of touch.
2008-01-06 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Hi Ron and group,

First of all thanks for the PM and letting me into your group. It will be great to have a group to help motivate and bounce questions off of. A little bit about me:

Name: Scott Rostoni (Petaluma, CA) 33, 5'10", 170lbs (down from 210 2 years ago).

This will be my first full year of training and racing. Last year a friend of mine got me started 2 weeks before my first sprint. It was a short one (.5, 9mi, 2mi) and I finished last in my AG, but I was hooked. Next I completed a longer sprint in Napa and and finished right about the bottom third of my AG. Hey, it's progress. Lastly I finished the shortened Treasure Island sprint. (the swim was cancelled due to an oil spill) I finished 10/20 in my AG and came off the bike in 6th.

Goals for '08: Improve my running and swimming. I think this is mostly due to endurance.

Races for '08: First race, Oly in Sacramento at the end of April. Plus 3 sprints and finishing with a possible Oly at Treasure Island in November.

Looking forward to a great '08 and watching the success of our group.

Thanks again,

Scott
2008-01-06 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I've got a question for the group.

Is/Has anyone done any heart-rate training? I just got a HRM and I feel I am running to hard on my training runs. Has anyone determined their LT or Max HR? I think I need to do this so I can set up my zones and know where to train.

Thanks,

Scott
2008-01-06 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1137236

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

TysDad - 2008-01-06 12:18 PM I've got a question for the group. Is/Has anyone done any heart-rate training? I just got a HRM and I feel I am running to hard on my training runs. Has anyone determined their LT or Max HR? I think I need to do this so I can set up my zones and know where to train. Thanks, Scott

Scott,

I use a Polar HRM for most of my training.  That said, I am not a slave to it by any means.  (Note: current Kona champ, Chrissie Wellington says she wouldn't even know how to put one on.)

There are any number of great informational sites on using an HRM for training purposes on the web.  Additionally, I would suggest picking up any of the books by Joel Friel, specifically The Triathlete's Training Bible or Going Long--in which he outlines a number of tests for determining LT in swim, bike, and run--and then goes on to explain the different Zones, etc.

That said, I train more by feel than anything else.  Easy runs, HR should be easy.  Hard runs the opposite.  I wear the HRM more as a feedback/indicator device.  So, for instance, if  I see my HR elevated at what I know is an easy pace, I know I may be due for some rest.

2008-01-06 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1126192

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-01 11:22 AM Hi Ron and group, Is this where we post questions etc? If so I have seen mentioned burnout and overtraining. What is overtraining, how do I recognize it and how do I prevent it. SOmetimes I go out for a run etc and feel whooped . Other times I feel great. Just wondering what I am looking for. Thanks again for your help. Scott

Hey Scott,

"Overtraining" is an often mistaken for "Overreach".  

Overtraining is a condition in which you've dug a physical-conditioning hole so deep for yourself it often takes weeks, if not months, before you recover.  It is a serious condition, to the point where sometimes the adrenal glands stop functioning.  Most of us will never know what its like to be overtrained.

Overreaching is described as the precipice before Overtraining.  

As you know, we improve by stressing our bodies with physical exertion--causing damage to muscle tissues, ligaments, etc.  Then, as we recover, our bodies adapt by "super-adapting" to the stresses.  This is a gross oversimplication, but you get the point.  Overreaching is when you've pushed yourself too long and hard without adequate Recovery, and your body is no longer "super-adapting".  Your body simply can't repair itself as fast as you're tearing it down.  

If you're having 2-3 consecutive "bad workouts"--your legs feel "heavier" than normal or a swim is much more labored than it normally should be--consider that you may be in a state of Overreach.  The prescription is usually a day or two (or three) with no activity.  This is usually adequate to give your body time to recover.

Hope that helps! 

2008-01-06 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1125228

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2007-12-31 3:06 PM...I also know I should be hitting the weights but don't even know where to start...
Scott

Weights (or strength-training) is a somewhat controversial topic amongst the tri cognescenti. 

On one side there are those who swear by strength training, and on the other who say its an inefficient use of time (better spent swim/bike/run).

My personal take...it can't hurt--especially now in the off-/early- season.  So, I carry a small laminated card to the gym outlining the following exercises (excerpted from Joel Friel's Going Long).

I keep the reps somewhat high, 20-25 per exercise, and the weights low-to-moderate.

Remember, simply "bulking up" in triathlon is counter-productive.  We triathlete strength-train to build muscle endurance and as injury prevention.  Tri's are about power-to-weight ratio--excessive bulk is to be avoided. 

- Squats or Leg Press
- Lat Pulldowns (to front)
- Knee extension
- Hamstring curl
- Bent-arm pulldown
- Core
- Calf raise
- Seated row
- Dips (use dip machine)
- Tricep extension

We recommend that these lifts be done in the order that they are listed.

10-15 min. of light aerobic activity should always precede strength training.

Stretching should follow.

2008-01-06 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1124940

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

fooddestroyer - 2007-12-31 12:53 PM thanks for havin us buddie. I looked at the training plans but the most accurate 20 week olympic plan seems extreme?

I haven't specifically looked at the BT 20-wk olympic plan, but I can't imagine its excessive in any way/shape/form if its here on BT. 

But, I would say one thing, an oly tri is no small feat.  Hell, I'm always reminded how much racing "hurts" (in a good way) when doing a Sprint.  

Its better to be over-conditioned for your race, than under, as I prefer to finish with a smile.

As regards diet, have you any templates?

Now, diet is not something I'm well-versed in...I admit.  Partly, because I just haven' t spent enough time doing my due diligence on the subject and partly because I find eating "what I want" as one of  triathlon's rewards.

That said, I follow the following basic tenets:

- avoid processed food as much as possible

- eat fresh whenever possible

- eat as much fresh vegetables--as many different colors as possible--as often as possible

- avoid excess fats

- avoid sodas, juices, etc.

- avoid alcohol  

Also, during the Season I will track my food with the Logging function in the BT Blog--mostly to track the number of calories I'm taking in.  I know, for example, that I require usually between 2200-2600 cal/day during normal mid-Season training weeks, and upwards to 3100 cal/day during heavy training weeks.

I highly suggest you all track your eating habit for a few months--at a minimum--to learn your patterns and learn the caloric consequences of your food choices. 

2008-01-08 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Hey Gang, how's everyone doing this week? 

2008-01-08 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
So far this week I am 2 for 2. I try and train at a minimum 5 days a week (M-F). I swim Mon, Wed, and Fri and run Tues and Thurs at the gym before work. When is not raining, I do my runs in the evening after my son goes to bed and I include Sun evening as well. Also, I try and get out on the bike once during the weekend, weather permitting.

How's everybody else doing?

Scott R
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15