BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-12-19 8:39 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED

Name: parrj/Jeffrey Parr

Story: I am a PhD student at Univeristy of Florida studying Athletic Training/Sports Medicine.  I have been racing in triathlons for 3 years now.  This past year was a tough one as I faced some injuries.  I started training as a way to loss weight and become more healthy.  After doing my first race I got hooked and fell in love with this sport.  I am a member of the TriGators, University of Florida Triathlon team.  In July of 2007 I became a certified USAT Level 1 triathlon coach.

Current Training: Training for the upcoming TriGator season and maybe throw in a HIM later in the year.

This years Training: I did several sprints and road races.  Also raced my first Olympic distance tri and first marathon.

2008 races: St Anthony's Olympic, plus whatever else TriGators do.  Plus maybe the Clermont HIM.

Weightloss Goals: I have gained a little weight with some injuries this year, so looking to drop about 20-30lbs this year.

Mentor Goals: I want to be able to motivate you.  I can use the experience of previous racing and coaching to help guide you in your 2008 racing season.  This is a great sport that I love, I want you to love it too.

Edited by parrj 2007-12-30 9:05 PM

2007-12-29 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1110953

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Jeffrey Parr's Group - Open
Hi Jeffrey...

I'm hoping that you still have room for one cold little Canadian girl in your mentoring group (it was -13 Celsius when I headed to the gym this morning).

I am located in Calgary, Alberta, just east of the Rockies which have been my home for the last 10 years. Living in the mountains gave me lots of opportunity for outdoor activities but no access to a gym so most of my focus has been on running for the last few years. I have completed 2 half marathons and was a lifeguard for years so the swin will hopefully come back quickly...my fear...I haven't been on bike in 15 years! When I moved to Calgary I started spin classes as a way to rehab a knee injury incurred (trying to) surfing in Tofino last year; the results have been great - my knee is much stronger. I recently signed up for a triathlon camp that is starting on January 21 as a personal challenge - it is something that I have wanted to try for a long time. Now that I am living in a city with access to a pool and have a great job that will allow me the time to train on a regular schedule there can be no more excuses.

My interest in your particular group relates to both your educational background and your reasons for starting triathlon. I am fit but constantly struggle with "weight issues" (what woman doesn't!). I don't have a weight loss goal per se but would like to reduce my body fat % to 18% which corresponds to about 8 lbs. I always have lots of questions and hope that your knowledge, particularly of athletic training, will hold the answers for me.

What really hooked me on your profile though: I like that you are putting the passion expressed in your last line into action by being a mentor- "this is a great sport that I love, and I want you to love it too".

Cat
2007-12-29 6:29 PM

Veteran

- Room for another Cannuck??

I'm 48, doing tri's for about 5 yrs- my 24 yr old daughter got me hooked.  After recovering from a bout with kidney cancer-  put on ++ weight during the recovery and various complications-  decided to give tri's a go!! Came from an athletic background- played lots of volleyball, swam/ biked/ran recreationally-  after my first tri- a tri- became hooked. Now 10 yrs Ca free- and have signed up for my first 1/2 IM- Steelhead 70.3 in August. As well- plan on 30 km race in March and other sprint's and Oly races leading up to Steelhead 70.3. 

-I'm a full time N,  have four daughters ( 2 mine, 2 step-daughters)- 3/4 of them finished school and sorta indepedent?!!!  So- have time to train, and recently hired a coach for direction for the upcoming 1/2 IM 

- wuld like to lose another 15 lbs- and continue to enjoy the tri lifestyle!!

2007-12-29 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Hi Jeff,

I'd love to join your group. It sounds like we'd have a pretty dedicated bunch of people with lots of positive energy! Together we *will* accomplish our goals!!!!

Name: Sue; Syracuse, NY

Story: Started sprint triathlons this year (2007). I have a moderate bike background, slim running background and no swim background. Despite my long swim times, I managed to become hooked on tris!

Current Training: Running 5 k three times a week, alternating with indoor trainer biking. Not currently swimming due to ruptured ear drum (waiting for custom ear plugs).

This years Training: Keep up with the running, get at least two swim lessons and swim 2-3 times per week. Commute to work on the bike 2-3 times per week.

2008 races: 2-3 sprints, 1 olympic (if my swimming improves), 1-2 duathlons. Some road and cyclocross races for variety. Maybe try a couple of 5k races and perhaps a 10 mile race in early May.

Weightloss Goals: Drop 5 pounds and 5-6% body fat.

Long-term goals: I'd love to work up to 1/2 iron distances in 2009 and full iron distances for 2010.

2007-12-30 1:16 AM

User image

New user

If it is okay, I would like to join this group.

My name is Jamie and I'm a sophomore in college. This past fall when I registered for my spring classes, I decided I wanted to take a PE elective. My choices were badmitten and triathlon training. I chose the triathlon course for a few reasons:

1) I like to challenge myself
2) I am getting bored with just running (I have ran 2 half marathons and various 5 and 10Ks-most of which were with my 52 year old dad and 72 year old grandpa)
3) Since I don't tan, I need some other way to look good in a bikini :-P

This class begins in March and I hate being unprepared. Therefore, I Googled "triathlon training" and found this website. I really didn't expect to come across an interactive mentor program. I think this will be a good way to keep me motivated and informed :-)
2007-12-30 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1122110

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

mind over matter - 2007-12-29 4:52 PM Hi Jeffrey... I'm hoping that you still have room for one cold little Canadian girl in your mentoring group (it was -13 Celsius when I headed to the gym this morning). I am located in Calgary, Alberta, just east of the Rockies which have been my home for the last 10 years. Living in the mountains gave me lots of opportunity for outdoor activities but no access to a gym so most of my focus has been on running for the last few years. I have completed 2 half marathons and was a lifeguard for years so the swin will hopefully come back quickly...my fear...I haven't been on bike in 15 years! When I moved to Calgary I started spin classes as a way to rehab a knee injury incurred (trying to) surfing in Tofino last year; the results have been great - my knee is much stronger. I recently signed up for a triathlon camp that is starting on January 21 as a personal challenge - it is something that I have wanted to try for a long time. Now that I am living in a city with access to a pool and have a great job that will allow me the time to train on a regular schedule there can be no more excuses. My interest in your particular group relates to both your educational background and your reasons for starting triathlon. I am fit but constantly struggle with "weight issues" (what woman doesn't!). I don't have a weight loss goal per se but would like to reduce my body fat % to 18% which corresponds to about 8 lbs. I always have lots of questions and hope that your knowledge, particularly of athletic training, will hold the answers for me. What really hooked me on your profile though: I like that you are putting the passion expressed in your last line into action by being a mentor- "this is a great sport that I love, and I want you to love it too". Cat

Cat,

Seems like you have a very good start on training and a triathlon camp is a great way to start out the year.  The best advice I can give you for your weight loss/body fat goals is try to do so right after the New Year.  Use this as your base period of training and just get miles in.  Sounds like you want to become a better biker, so put more miles in on the bike and just maintain the run and swim.  Riding a bike is like well, riding a bike, you never forget.

Make sure to add me to your list of friends and I will do the same for you.  Also, introduce yourself to everyone else in the group and add them so that we have a little support group.  It worked well last year.  Please feel free to ask any and all questions you have.  BT, triathlon, anything...

2007-12-30 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1122274

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
HelenR - 2007-12-29 7:29 PM

- Room for another Cannuck??

I'm 48, doing tri's for about 5 yrs- my 24 yr old daughter got me hooked.  After recovering from a bout with kidney cancer-  put on ++ weight during the recovery and various complications-  decided to give tri's a go!! Came from an athletic background- played lots of volleyball, swam/ biked/ran recreationally-  after my first tri- a tri- became hooked. Now 10 yrs Ca free- and have signed up for my first 1/2 IM- Steelhead 70.3 in August. As well- plan on 30 km race in March and other sprint's and Oly races leading up to Steelhead 70.3. 

-I'm a full time N,  have four daughters ( 2 mine, 2 step-daughters)- 3/4 of them finished school and sorta indepedent?!!!  So- have time to train, and recently hired a coach for direction for the upcoming 1/2 IM 

- wuld like to lose another 15 lbs- and continue to enjoy the tri lifestyle!!

Helen,

Seems like this is going to be an easy group to work with.  Everybody seems to have gotten a good start and good background with training.  Use this time to get base work, put miles on your legs.  This will be the best time to lose the weight.  A HIM is a great goal and I'm sure having a coach will help you out tremendously.  Please feel free to ask any and all questions you have.  Also, add myself and everyone else in the thread to your friends list so that we can inspire each other. 

2007-12-30 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1122356

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

TryTryTry - 2007-12-29 8:49 PM Hi Jeff, I'd love to join your group. It sounds like we'd have a pretty dedicated bunch of people with lots of positive energy! Together we *will* accomplish our goals!!!! Name: Sue; Syracuse, NY Story: Started sprint triathlons this year (2007). I have a moderate bike background, slim running background and no swim background. Despite my long swim times, I managed to become hooked on tris! Current Training: Running 5 k three times a week, alternating with indoor trainer biking. Not currently swimming due to ruptured ear drum (waiting for custom ear plugs). This years Training: Keep up with the running, get at least two swim lessons and swim 2-3 times per week. Commute to work on the bike 2-3 times per week. 2008 races: 2-3 sprints, 1 olympic (if my swimming improves), 1-2 duathlons. Some road and cyclocross races for variety. Maybe try a couple of 5k races and perhaps a 10 mile race in early May. Weightloss Goals: Drop 5 pounds and 5-6% body fat. Long-term goals: I'd love to work up to 1/2 iron distances in 2009 and full iron distances for 2010.

Sue,

I think your right, this looks like its going to be a great group.  I like your goals.  They are very well structured.  Start out easy and work your way to bigger goals.  I've done it the same way.  Please ask any questions about anything you would like to know.

2007-12-30 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1122552

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

WVUgirl10 - 2007-12-30 2:16 AM If it is okay, I would like to join this group. My name is Jamie and I'm a sophomore in college. This past fall when I registered for my spring classes, I decided I wanted to take a PE elective. My choices were badmitten and triathlon training. I chose the triathlon course for a few reasons: 1) I like to challenge myself 2) I am getting bored with just running (I have ran 2 half marathons and various 5 and 10Ks-most of which were with my 52 year old dad and 72 year old grandpa) 3) Since I don't tan, I need some other way to look good in a bikini :-P This class begins in March and I hate being unprepared. Therefore, I Googled "triathlon training" and found this website. I really didn't expect to come across an interactive mentor program. I think this will be a good way to keep me motivated and informed :-)

Well Jamie, I think this is a great area to get yourself perpared for class.  And you can be in this group as long as WVU beats Florida in any major sporting event.  Otherwise I'm kicking you out.   Sounds like you have a good background in running so you should probably start working on swimming and biking.  Please feel free to ask any and all questions you have.

2007-12-30 5:19 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Hey girls,

Right now it is 4 girls and 0 guys in this group.   Ranging from college students to working mom's.  Some things you girls need to do.
1. Add myself and everyone else in the group to your friend list (I can explain how to do that if you need me to)
2. Start logging workouts.  We can't inspire and motivate each other if we don't know what you're doing.  Doesn't have to be a lot.  Some people simply log workouts, others tell life stories in there blogs.  Its up to you.  Minimum is logging workouts.
3. Tell me what your goals are if you haven't already done so.  What races you want/plan to do. What you want to get out of this mentoring group.
4. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.  They can be about training, nutrition, equipment, racing, traveling.... I think you get the idea.

2007-12-30 6:39 PM

Like everyone else....I'm hoping you still have room in your group!

I am 25 years old and have been 'thinking' about doing a triathlon for about four years. I have been a personal trainer for 3 years, and have been teaching group exercise for about 5 years. I spend my time motivating others to make changes in their lives, and have decided that this is the year for me to make a change in mine.
I had a drowning scare when I was 4 years old, and never became a very strong swimmer....I'm determined to get over those fears this year!! Hopefully this group will give me the kick in the pants I need.
As far as weight loss.....I'd like to be a bit leaner and that's about it.

2007-12-30 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1123159

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

KBARROW - 2007-12-30 7:39 PM Like everyone else....I'm hoping you still have room in your group! I am 25 years old and have been 'thinking' about doing a triathlon for about four years. I have been a personal trainer for 3 years, and have been teaching group exercise for about 5 years. I spend my time motivating others to make changes in their lives, and have decided that this is the year for me to make a change in mine. I had a drowning scare when I was 4 years old, and never became a very strong swimmer....I'm determined to get over those fears this year!! Hopefully this group will give me the kick in the pants I need. As far as weight loss.....I'd like to be a bit leaner and that's about it.

Kim,

Good to have you in the group.  Please feel free to ask any and all questions.  Look at the post just above your 1st post to see some of the things I am asking of the group.   Seems like you have a good background to start.  Swimming will be hard, but once you get over that fear it will never come back.  Do you have the ability to take a swim class/lesson.  That may make you feel more comfortable.

2007-12-30 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Hi Kim, Jamie, Helen, Cat and Jeffrey;

I have added you all to my friends list and have adjusted my settings so you should be able to see my training log. I have only been logging everything for about a week, so my history is a bit sparse. I had started logging my nutrition, but I am discontinuing that as it takes too long! I know what I need to cut out of my diet!! (I have a wicked weakness for sweet baked goodies.)

I am currently on a running training plan, slowly increasing my mileage for a planned 10-mile race on 5/4/08. I will post details within the next couple of days.

I have sent links for some of my planned races to the admin., as soon as they're in the database, I will add them to my schedule.

Please let me know if you can't see my training log...I'm not sure I did it correctly.

Thanks, Jeffrey (is it ok if we call you Jeff?), for mentoring us - I know we'll have fun and I am looking forward to keeping motivated.

~Sue
2007-12-30 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Jeffrey,
I'm not sure what the limit is but I would like to join if you all will have me. I am not a "newbie" but need to be held accountable for my training in order to get better results in the 2008 season. I am a female and will be glad to share more if I get in! :-)
2007-12-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1123371

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

surfnturf - 2007-12-30 9:41 PM Jeffrey, I'm not sure what the limit is but I would like to join if you all will have me. I am not a "newbie" but need to be held accountable for my training in order to get better results in the 2008 season. I am a female and will be glad to share more if I get in! :-)

Always room for another female.  We have 6 girls in the group.  And you are from Florida, so you have a good in now.  How long have you been in tri's?  Read some of the above post to catch up on the group.

2007-12-30 9:12 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED
Okay, 6 girls, should be a great group.  We have a lot of people with a background in tri training. 

2007-12-30 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Yeahh!! Thanks for letting me in. Here is my info...as promised.

Story: I am a work-from-home mother with my own business, a great husband and two great kids (ages 8 & 4). I have watched triathlons since I was a teenager and have always been so inspired by the stories of the athletes. I played college volleyball and golf and have always been active and somewhat fit. When my youngest turned 1yr, I decided to train for a local triathlon and I finished middle of the pack. That is pretty much where I have finished in all of my races over the past three years. This past summer I didn't race much due to a busy family/work schedule but I continue to train on a daily basis and love it.

Current Training: In transition with a new work schedule but I train 4-5x per week and hope to improve in the water and with running.

This years Training: Ran some local 5K races but no tri's due to busy Spring/Summer schedule.

2008 races: Plan to do 2-3 sprint tri's and a few 5K/10K races (plus an OLY in the Fall?).

Weightloss Goals: Don't have any except to stay healthy and injury-free.

Personal Goals: I would like to improve my run times (8:50/mi) and move up to top 5 in my age group. I also want to complete an OLY and possibly a 15K by the end of 2008.

I was interested in this group b/c Jeffrey is a Gator, he seems genuinely interested in helping motivate people which is what I need and because I was hooked after my first tri too!

Edited by surfnturf 2007-12-31 9:42 AM
2007-12-30 11:11 PM

User image

New user

Ok a few questions:

How do I add people as friends? I feel like I have a triathlon facebook :-P

How do I adjust settings to allow friends to read my training log?

I'm guessing to log work-outs I use the training log at the top of the page? I went there, clicked edit today, and there were so many places to fill in information-biking, swimming, running, body size, sleep, etc. etc. I don't know how often I would measure myself or know exactly how far I bike or swim. Would it be acceptable to use the bottom comment section more than the top parts that are more tedious?

Thanks!
2007-12-31 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1123666

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

WVUgirl10 - 2007-12-31 12:11 AM Ok a few questions: How do I add people as friends? I feel like I have a triathlon facebook :-P How do I adjust settings to allow friends to read my training log? I'm guessing to log work-outs I use the training log at the top of the page? I went there, clicked edit today, and there were so many places to fill in information-biking, swimming, running, body size, sleep, etc. etc. I don't know how often I would measure myself or know exactly how far I bike or swim. Would it be acceptable to use the bottom comment section more than the top parts that are more tedious? Thanks!

From your training log page, you will see about 5 icons on the top left side running vertical.  The top one is a blue box with a spocket overlaying it.  If you highlight it, it will say control panel.  Click on this and a new page will come up with lots of otpions.  Click on the friends tab.  Enter you list of friends.  Should probably write down the screen names before hand so that you are not guessing or going back and forth.  Make sure you click on apply so that it saves the list.  BT has a group on facebook as well.   Don't worry about adjusting settings so that people can see your log, you are good to go.  As for logging information I would put in times with each activity and then log info about each workout in the little boxes below them.  If you know distances great, but not necessary.  Really, just go on and play around, you will find a lot of good stuff.  If you lift weights there is a section to add each exercise.  I also use the Sports box alot.  If you play soccer, ultimate frisbee, stretch.... you can add any of them.  The big blog at the bottom, must people use for telling stories or whats going in there day or life.

2007-12-31 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Jeffrey,
What do all of the designations after your name mean? I checked out your website and am very excited to have you as my mentor.

I am REALLY interested in nutrition and how it can be used to my advantage before and after training sessions. Is this something we will cover at some point? Is there a "nutrition for dummies" that explains the basics that you would recommend I read?

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

Edited by surfnturf 2007-12-31 9:43 AM
2007-12-31 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1124157

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

surfnturf - 2007-12-31 10:30 AM Jeffrey, What do all of the designations after your name mean? I checked out your website and am very excited to have you as my mentor. I am REALLY interested in nutrition and how it can be used to my advantage before and after training sessions. Is this something we will cover at some point? Is there a "nutrition for dummies" that explains the basics that you would recommend I read? Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone! Dana

MS=Master of Science
ATC/L=Certified & Licensed Athletic Trainer
H/FI=Health & Fitness Instructor

I think that is all the letters I have.

As for nutrition, really what I do is every once and awhile when I think of something important I post it. Otherwise I just answer any questions you have.  A great book for nutrition is by Bob Seebohar "Nutrition Periodization for Endurance Athletes"  You can also look at the articles section on this website, it has some good info.

2007-12-31 5:23 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Just wanted to wish all you girls a safe and Happy New Year. 
2007-12-31 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1125267

Veteran

Thanks Jeff!!!

Happy New Year's to all the gang in the new mentoring group... Lets plan on "kicking some but" in 2008!!

- cheers!!

-Helen

2007-12-31 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1125281

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
Happy New Year, everyone... I finished off 2007 with the Running Room's Resolution Run - an 8 k along Calgary's Bow River. Great run despite the cold. Within 3 hours of the race starting we had an ice jam on the river so they had to reroute us - certainly made things interesting. I have been so busy this year that this was the only formalized run that I participated in...on the last day of the year. So here's to a year of training, events, PB's, and new friends to help along the way. Best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2008.
2008-01-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1125549

Veteran

wow Cat- an 8 km race already in the New Year- cool!!! 

- It's snowing an blistery here in southwestern Ontario- hovering at 0 degrees C.  Will be heading off for a 10 km ( 6 mile) run with some local running buddies-hopefully the roads won't be too slippery. Happy New Year gang!!

-Helen

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5