BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-03-12 11:21 PM
in reply to: #2014930

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - Closed for now

Thanks Mary.

The shoulder pain could be any of a number of things. It could be doing extra distances in your week. Or it could be from technique, usually from a weak roll or arm recovery. If your body is kept too square to the path and you don't roll enough your arm swing can cause pain. Also, are you breathing bilaterally or to one side? Do you have a coach watching your swims?

Extra strength training is always good. Work on range of motion, with good overall chest and arm, and especially your lats.

You may want to have a look at:
http://www.active.com/swimming/Articles/Balance_Your_Blades__3_Corrective_Shoulder_Exercises.htm?act=EMC-Active&Vehicle=Triathlon&Date=11_02_08&Edition=1&Sections=Articles&Creative=Balance_Your_Blades__3_Corrective_Shoulder_Exercises&TextName=More&ArtText=Txt&Placement=4&Dy=Mon

2009-03-13 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1864322

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Hello everyone!  Back from Disney and a successful trip.  My wife did very well in her half mary.  She had some stomach issues which caused her to stop a couple of times but she still pr'd.  She was a little dissappointed because she would have killed it withou the stops.  She has had some huge improvements this year!  The kids had a great time of course.  The race had 8000 running  princesses (yes I was in heaven!!!!!) and about 200 guys ?!?.  Very well ran and my wife who LOVES Disney had a great time.

I have some catching up to do on mileage.  I got some short workouts in and many many miles carrying my daughter but need to get back on schedule.  This vacation was perfectly timed.

Great job on the Tri Marinus.  Mary, sounds like your are using the right muscles though.  I tweeked my shoulder from bad form (no roll and unilateral breathing).  It sounds like you are making improvements and on the right track. 

(DSC04631.1.jpg)

(DSC04575.1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC04631.1.jpg (23KB - 13 downloads)
DSC04575.1.jpg (21KB - 18 downloads)
2009-03-13 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Its great to hear that her Half went well.  You can do everything right, but stomach issues can pop up and no getting around it.   Even doing things the exact same in exact conditions you may experience it also.  Jsut enjoy the experience, look foreward.  Sounds like you had awesome time down there. 

Great swim Mary - i'm happy to get 1200-1300 in a swim.   I'm off work next week so i can get to pool when it's less crowded, i may try 1500.  My goal is to get 2000 yd before May when we can start open water swimming.   Today my 1000 felt like i wass wearing concrete shorts.  

HAve great weeekend everyone.  I got wedding tomorrow and have family in town, so no racing for me.  I will have to do something Sunday - becuase i believe we are planning to go to this wonderful brunch at nearby restarant. 

2009-03-14 11:46 PM
in reply to: #2016801

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Congrats Chet to both of you. And I always say train & race smart. And being one of 200 guys in 8000 princesses sure sounds smart! Wink When my wife & I did the 2008 Disneyland Half she needed a lot of "bio-breaks" too. Sometimes it just hapens. In that case we actually think it was from eating our evening meal too late the night before. Studies say 10 hs minimum. We were less than that. But we still had a blast. Photos attached.

Today we had a 55km ride in the rain and 6°c. We were wet & cold by the end, but at least we got in our mileage. Tomorrow calls for an 18km run. Forecast is for more rain. Frown

Keep up the great work everyone.

(Buzz half.jpg)

(DSC00633b.jpg)

(DSC00634b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Buzz half.jpg (81KB - 18 downloads)
DSC00633b.jpg (72KB - 17 downloads)
DSC00634b.jpg (94KB - 18 downloads)
2009-03-17 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hi gang.

Here is an interesting warm-up drill for those who find they have tired, sore, or just tight shoulders, especially when you are first warming up. Have a look at:

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5442/freestyle---vary-your-recovery.html

2009-03-19 10:57 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Hi gang. I just didn't like being on page 2, so this is just to get us back up front, where we belong.

2009-03-20 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Marinus - Great Disney pictures.  It looks like you had fun like we did.  I will try alternating my stroke recovery next week when I get back in the pool.  It sounds like that would help my shoulder a lot. 

Hello all.  Checking in.  A run mileage build week for me.  Just about 2 months out for my first of 2 "A" races this year.  I am one run away from 50 miles this week.  I am going to try and maintain similar mileage then work bike/swim back in.  After the marathon, it will be all about the bike.  Hope your traning is going well, Chet

2009-03-21 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Awesome pics from Disney! 

Been good week here, i've had a week of annual leave (vacation) and have spent it working really hard.  The weather is nice - so i got in 2 outdoor bike rides (not killer 100K's or anything, but some solid 12-14 mile rides) - i went to a swim shop and got some training fins (flippers).  First expereince with them and wow not all that easy.  So far i've used them to do some kicking at the end of my swim and swam 100 with them.   Hopefully i'll see results down the road. 

IF anyone has some helpful links or information about training with fins, please sahre it with me. 

Thank you

2009-03-23 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Hope everyone's training is going well...

I have my first open water swim event of the season coming up in just under 4-weeks. In past open-water swims, I always struggle with navigation. I feel like I probably swim 1,000 meters in 750 meter events at least.

Anyone have any tips on sighting. I feel like I have gotten a little better at it toward the end of last season, and actually navigated my last swim fairly well. It still feels awkward however...

I have been trying to sight every 4th or 5th stroke.

Again ... any tips would be appreciated.
2009-03-23 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Bob,

I found that if I site something in the background like a mountain, a dock, big tree etc, it is easier and quicker to site.  Also, I follow the feet in front of me (get a little draft too ) and if they stay pretty close to on line then I just concentrate on them.  Let them do the work.  That is the ONLY reason I am not in the front because who would I follow?Laughing

I am sure others will have good info.  Chet

2009-03-23 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Open water sighting can be difficult, and some swims more than others. When I sight I try to find something a little higher up with good contrast. A well defined dark hill against a light sky for example. I also know that I tend to wander to my left due to a stronger R side pull so I watch for that. If there are float markers try to stay close to them so you can hold a straighter line. And there's the old rule - keep as many on your right as on your left and you'll be close. In the end, practice in open water, preferably on the course you're racing and at the race time of day. The sun can make a big difference. Ironman Canada used to have one leg right into the morning sun. It was brutal! And if you tend to wander, sight a bit more often. But of course the more you sight the less efficient you are.

2009-03-26 9:21 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to increase ones distance per stroke?  At the triathlon swim club I attend they tracked it and mine is quite a bit lower than most others. 
2009-03-26 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2041258

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

If any of the swim experts wants to help out, please. In my mind there are 2 technique issues you might consider. What is your body roll like? Are you rolling to be as streamlined in the water and promote good arm swing & pull? Which relates to the second item - your arm stroke? Is your reach good and long? Are you getting an effective catch? And lastly, are you pulling long all the way to past your hips?

You want to achieve as streamlined a position as possible, and have an effective long pull. I for one stops my pull too soon, before I've pushed the water back as far as I can while maintaining good form.

Anyone else?

2009-03-28 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hi gang. It's been quiet lately. How's eveyone doing? Fay & I had our Saturday ride. What a character builder this one was. Surprised 80km in a good steady rain and only 3°c. Chilled and soaked to the bone afterwards.

I hope everyone else is doing better.

2009-03-28 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
18 mile long run this week in 30 mph winds.  Mental training is important tooSmile. My mileage is up and I am still feeling good.  I cut way back on everything else and am just focusing on running right now.  Swam yesterday, felt good to be back in the pool.  Hope everyone is well, Chet 
2009-03-28 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2046209

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Sounds like a long tough run. Well done!

2009-03-31 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Had to get us off the second page.  Half Mary for me this weekend.  It will be a good measure of where I am at for the marathon in May.  Anyone else have races coming up?
2009-04-01 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2052294

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Next race for me isn't until mid June now. A Half Iron. But I might try to throw in a sprint tri before then.

Train & race safe everyone.

2009-04-01 10:40 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta

So I went for my first outdoor bike ride yesterday (a little bit late notice since my first race is this sunday!).  There was still lots of snow spots, but I managed somehow.  Practiced clipping in and out with my shoes.  Went pretty good! About half way through my ride I noticed there was something in my back brake, it was making a terrible noise.  So I pull over to the side of the trail and slow down to a stop - forgetting my shoes were locked in! I knew I was going down, but luckily landed in a snowbank so only hit my knee on the ground.  I was mortified as a girl was running by, but she shouted out "Don't Worry, Ive done that too!" Which made me feel better.  It is just so easy to forget about your feet being clipped in!

2009-04-04 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
We've all been there Sarah. Funny how it always happens when someone is looking. The first time it happened to me was at a stop sign the first day I got clipless pedals many years ago. And of course there was about 3 or 4 cars behind me and they all got a good laugh out of it.

First Tri of the season today ... a mini-sprint (250yd Swim, 9.1 Bike, 5K Run) in a little mountain town - Valdese, NC. The bike course is very hilly, but the run is pretty flat.

Ended up finishing 26th out of about 250 entrants.

A little disappointed, I had hoped to break 1 hour, but ended up 1:01:12.

Swim went well, felt good on the bike, but run was a bit of chore. Never felt like I got into a rythm until about the last mile.

Race report soon.

Bob

Edited by rventuri 2009-04-04 6:56 PM
2009-04-04 7:02 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta

Great job Bob.  Sounds like you did great even though you didnt reach your 1hr mark. 

I have my first triathlon EVER tomorrow.  Im feeling pretty nervous.  It snow 30cm last weekend but luckily most of it has melted and the weather has turned around somewhat.  It is supposed to be 8 Celsius tomorrow (but that likely wont be till later in the day Frown).  Its a sprint - 500m Swim, 17.5km bike and 5km run.  I drove the bike route today in a vehicle, it seems so long! I hope I make it!

2009-04-04 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Sarah - been there... done that... more than once.... and am sure I will do it again.  I also found there is no way to look cool doing itLaughing.  Good luck tomorrow on your Tri.  Just concentrate on what you are doing at the moment and don't worry about the distance to come.  You will do great.

Bob - Congrats on the Tri.  Top 5 percent is smokin' fast.

Marinus - had my half mary today which was scheduled as a test of my training. I PR'd by over 3 minutes!!!! It was a great mental boost.  Runners World race calculator puts my predicted time 10 minutes under my goal!  I am not aiming for that (don't put much weight into the calcualtors) but I have a realistic shot at this goal. 

Hope everyone is well, Chet 

2009-04-05 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2063000

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Thanks Sarah and Chet...

Sarah ... good luck with your race. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Please let us know how it goes.

Nice run Chet. A PR by 3 minutes is definately a great accomplishment.
2009-04-05 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2063468

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Chet: Great result. 3 minutes is huge! Keep with your plans and you'll get your results. And you're right on the mark about not putting too much pressure on yourself. Do your training and race prep and the result will take care of itself.

Sarah: We're all pullng for you. When you can, let us know how your race went. I'm sure you'll do great!

Bob: Well done on yours too!

The whole group is pulling in some great results. And even better, it sounds like everyone is feeling good and having fun. Well done everyone!!!! Smile
2009-04-06 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2062976

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  

of 11