BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-06-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2082508

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Subject: RE: kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!!
Ouch! Sounds like a tough day fire eagle! Congrats on finishing it though! Did you do a race report? Sounds like it would be an interesting one!

2009-06-23 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2235814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

fire eagle - 2009-06-22 8:38 PM Hey great job mattie & congrats to Coach Ken.  Coach, I was wondering about the water temp. How did that turn out?

Ok, I did an oly this weekend.  ah another lovely experience...  Actually, it was fun but I wasn't prepared enough.  First, 2 wks ago got another pair of running shoes and went too far in them when I was breaking them in.  That was dumb so I stayed off of my left foot (heel/arch area) and tried to concentrate on swim & bike.  Swim was fairly good beside getting kicked in the head 4 times and got my breathing to settle down after 300 m.   The night before I  changed out my tubes & tires thinking that would be a good choice but I didn't bring another tube with me on the bike.  tube blew out at mile 11 and I was stranded about 35 min. Other than that, it was hot by the time the run came along (93) and was starting to cramp up and my left foot was still sore, but I finished.  Live & learn, should have brought some gel on the run, I was kind of depleted besides being frustrated at the blown tube.  Onward

sounds like that race was a good educatiional experience in a number of different ways.  way to stick it out.

as for the water temp, it was a nice 61 degrees.  Plenty warm enough with a wetsuit.  Fortunately we had some warm temps last week that helped the water temp climb.

2009-06-24 11:15 PM

User image

New user

Food for thought: I'm thinking about concentrating more on the bike because you're on the bike the most during the race, duh.  This is an endurance race so if I just get a good even pace during the swim and not exert myself completely (because I can't make up that much time anyway) and give it my all on the bike, I should at least be able to hobble in on the run. (Did I mention I don't like running?)  My time in the swim should improve as my form improves (hopefully).
Post-race ranting

2009-06-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2241534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
fire eagle - 2009-06-25 12:15 AM

Food for thought: I'm thinking about concentrating more on the bike because you're on the bike the most during the race, duh.  This is an endurance race so if I just get a good even pace during the swim and not exert myself completely (because I can't make up that much time anyway) and give it my all on the bike, I should at least be able to hobble in on the run. (Did I mention I don't like running?)  My time in the swim should improve as my form improves (hopefully).
Post-race ranting

I just started to rebalance my training time to be more in line with race volume as well.  I'm trying to go 50% bike, and 25% each for run and swim.

I had been focusing on swim for about 6 weeks or so because I was seeing real significant improvement both in speed and endurance.  I'm at a point now where I'm comfortable with what I feel will be my race day performance.

I had not been spending as much time on the run because a month ago I increased volume/intensity too quickly and ended up hurting my lower leg.  I'm now trying to build up my run without overdoing it.

I've been fairly consistent with the bike all along.

My biggest roadblock right now is that ideally I'd like to spend 360 minutes a week training (6 hours).  When you add the prep time and post time involved, those hours grow....and I'm noticing little conflicts from time to time with family things.  So in my mind I know what I want my training plan to be, but....

Anybody racing this weekend ??

Edited by Mainer22 2009-06-28 7:04 PM
2009-06-29 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine

oh and by the way Coach K,  last year I had a flat front tire while riding and had all the necessary "stuff" in my saddlebag to change it, but didn't have the knowledge.  I kinda muddled around for 30 minutes or so and finally made it happen and moved on.  Replentished my CO2 and bought a new tube and just basically hoped to not get another flat, as it wasn't a grand experience worth repeating.  I was looking over your website and watched the video for changing a flat and (being a visual learner) think that I've got it down for the next time, so thanks!

2009-06-29 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2251478

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-06-29 4:14 PM

oh and by the way Coach K,  last year I had a flat front tire while riding and had all the necessary "stuff" in my saddlebag to change it, but didn't have the knowledge.  I kinda muddled around for 30 minutes or so and finally made it happen and moved on.  Replentished my CO2 and bought a new tube and just basically hoped to not get another flat, as it wasn't a grand experience worth repeating.  I was looking over your website and watched the video for changing a flat and (being a visual learner) think that I've got it down for the next time, so thanks!

glad it helped.  I am going to be posting 1 or 2 others in the near future.  I will try to rememebr to give you guys a heads up.  I think transitions will be next followed by nutritional strategies for race day.

2009-06-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2251478

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Mainer22 - 2009-06-29 5:14 PM

Of course, once you repeat it a couple of times you'll have it down!

In the MS150 in 2008 I got a flat and could not get it changed. I took a basic bike maintenance class in the early spring and they made us change a flat a few times and that was what made me confident I could take care of it in the future!
2009-06-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2253478

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
mattierocks - 2009-06-30 1:46 PM
Mainer22 - 2009-06-29 5:14 PM

Of course, once you repeat it a couple of times you'll have it down!

In the MS150 in 2008 I got a flat and could not get it changed. I took a basic bike maintenance class in the early spring and they made us change a flat a few times and that was what made me confident I could take care of it in the future!

Yeah, I kind of figured it out eventually but the video really layed out the process cleanly for me, so next time I should be fine

I think I'd be really really angry if it happened to me during a race
2009-06-30 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Changing a flat seems like a silly exercise, but it is so important to know how to do that out on the road.  That is by far the most common mechanical issue.  1 or 2 times of practice in the garage using your saddle bag equipment and you are good to go. 

2009-07-01 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Since it looks like a couple of you guys are trying to focus on the bike a little more, you should go check out the TdF Challenge in the "Challenge Me" section... I signed up!
2009-07-01 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2255855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
mattierocks - 2009-07-01 12:12 PM Since it looks like a couple of you guys are trying to focus on the bike a little more, you should go check out the TdF Challenge in the "Challenge Me" section... I signed up!

Nice mattie!  Thanks for the tip, I signed up for the TDF Challenge too and also the "double your mileage" Challenge for the second half of the year.

Great Motivation to keep busting Arse !!

2009-07-02 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2257111

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Mainer22 - 2009-07-01 7:18 PM
mattierocks - 2009-07-01 12:12 PM Since it looks like a couple of you guys are trying to focus on the bike a little more, you should go check out the TdF Challenge in the "Challenge Me" section... I signed up!

Nice mattie!  Thanks for the tip, I signed up for the TDF Challenge too and also the "double your mileage" Challenge for the second half of the year.

Great Motivation to keep busting Arse !!

I saw you in there Mainer! Excellent! I hadn't visited the challenges thread before, and it really is motivating... There's a lot of cool things to do to push yourself.

There's still time for everyone else to join Mainer and me in the TdF challenge... Who else is planning on watching Le Tour?
2009-07-02 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

DVR is set.  I get goose bumps just watching the commercials for it on versus.

I'm kind of "over" the Lance hoopla, but there are a few shows scheduled just before the tour that take a look back at some old Lance moments.  Might be good too.

2009-07-02 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2257755

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
kenaxford - 2009-07-02 9:25 AM

DVR is set.  I get goose bumps just watching the commercials for it on versus.

I'm kind of "over" the Lance hoopla, but there are a few shows scheduled just before the tour that take a look back at some old Lance moments.  Might be good too.

I apparently live wherever monsoon season strikes, AS IT RAINED THE ENTIRE MONTH OF JUNE AND NOW THE FIRST TWO DAYS OF JULY TOO........

So more riding of the indoor bike for me, at least I'll have good motivator material to watch.  My DVR will be earning its keep this month too
2009-07-02 10:02 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
You know, I think the "Lance hoopla" is a little ridiculous too... Although I have to admit, it has me intrigued! I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does. However, I'm Team Garmin-Slipstream all the way!

2009-07-02 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2258124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-07-02 9:02 AM You know, I think the "Lance hoopla" is a little ridiculous too... Although I have to admit, it has me intrigued! I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does. However, I'm Team Garmin-Slipstream all the way!

me too brother.  either that or "columbia highroad"  (can you tell I'm American)  I hope Vendevelde does well this year.  The Garmin team director is very active in the media, so it's fun to get all the inside scoop with them.

On another note, it will be interesting to see the dynamic between Lance and Alberto Contador.  I think Contador has the goods to be the leader.  (with or without lance)  That kid is freakin' amazing.

2009-07-02 5:00 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
I can get behind Columbia too, love those American teams!

I just really appreciate the treatment that Slipstream is giving the doping issue. They're supposed to be 100% clean and transparent about it, and they have some really good riders, which is the best part! Being clean wouldn't mean anything if they were all mediocre (relative to the rest of the pros, of course!).

I know JV is very talkative and they're right there in Colorado, so you must see a lot about them!
2009-07-06 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine

Well, the hard part is done for now.  My first sprint is Saturday July 11th.  I'll be easing thru the rest of this week after a very hard bike on Sat, good run on Sun, and solid swim today.  Taking Tues off completely, Wed I will swim in my wetsuit for the first time and bike the actual bike course as a scouting mission.  Taking Thurs and Fri off completely, maybe a light swim or bike.  Then race Sat.

In my mind, if everything goes according to "plan", I will be shooting to break 18:00 in the 1100 yard swim, break 36:00 in the 12 mile bike, break 24:00 in the 3.1 mile run, and keep total transition time under 2 minutes, for a total time of 1 hour 20 minutes or less.

Or plan B is just to survive my first triathlon and go from there...Smile

2009-07-06 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2265433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-07-06 2:01 PM

Well, the hard part is done for now.  My first sprint is Saturday July 11th.  I'll be easing thru the rest of this week after a very hard bike on Sat, good run on Sun, and solid swim today.  Taking Tues off completely, Wed I will swim in my wetsuit for the first time and bike the actual bike course as a scouting mission.  Taking Thurs and Fri off completely, maybe a light swim or bike.  Then race Sat.

In my mind, if everything goes according to "plan", I will be shooting to break 18:00 in the 1100 yard swim, break 36:00 in the 12 mile bike, break 24:00 in the 3.1 mile run, and keep total transition time under 2 minutes, for a total time of 1 hour 20 minutes or less.

Or plan B is just to survive my first triathlon and go from there...Smile

GOOD LUCK!!!!  I'm sure you will do great !!!  I recomend following through on that light run or bike.  insert a few race pace "pick ups" of 30 seconds or so just to keep your legs fresh.  keep us updated.

2009-07-07 9:07 PM

User image

New user
good luck mainer, its great you're going to get to go over the course. 

I missed the challenge. Man, I have been busy.  My time to train is got to be in the morning 5:30-7:30 am or I can't get it done. 
early to bed, early to rise...
2009-07-10 9:57 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Good luck Mainer! Just so you know, we're expecting a killer swim time!

2009-07-10 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Ok so I previewed the course yesterday.  Swim is lake swim, triangle from beach to buoy 1 to buoy 2 to beach.  This was my first OWS and first time w/ wesuit.  The wetsuit is sweeeet.  Fits like a glove, didn't really have any issues with extra material near my crotch or under armpits, so didn't really have to do any extra tugging or moving around to get it on.  Anybody know what to do with the zipper pull cord??  I just let it dangle.  Not sure if I'm supposed to tuck it in somewhere, neckline would break the seal but maybe fold it behind the velcro that closes the neck up?? 

Anyway, the swim was great, the suit does the floating for you, so all you have to do is propel yourself forward.  It kind of felt like I was laying on one of those styrofoam fake surfboard kid toys and just paddling with my arms.  Felt fast, but my big big worry now is that I'm going to be swimming in zigs and zags.  No pool line painted on bottom.  When I tried picking up my head, my technique suffered, so I don't know, maybe I'll try to match somebody else's speed and let them do the sighting for me? 

I then drove the bike and run courses to eyeball them and get a feel for their rolling nature.  Like the bike course very much.  It's a down and back course, which will be extra motivation for me seeing people that I want to catch, with the final 1/2 to 3/4 mile before the turnaround being a solid 6% climb !!!  Tough climb, but should be a speedy descent too. 

I'm looking forward to actually doing it, I'm nervous/excited/anxious right now and trying to control it, probably will be right up until the start and then once we get going, hopefully settle right into a groove.
2009-07-10 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2276216

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-07-10 9:57 AM Ok so I previewed the course yesterday.  Swim is lake swim, triangle from beach to buoy 1 to buoy 2 to beach.  This was my first OWS and first time w/ wesuit.  The wetsuit is sweeeet.  Fits like a glove, didn't really have any issues with extra material near my crotch or under armpits, so didn't really have to do any extra tugging or moving around to get it on.  Anybody know what to do with the zipper pull cord??  I just let it dangle.  Not sure if I'm supposed to tuck it in somewhere, neckline would break the seal but maybe fold it behind the velcro that closes the neck up?? 

Anyway, the swim was great, the suit does the floating for you, so all you have to do is propel yourself forward.  It kind of felt like I was laying on one of those styrofoam fake surfboard kid toys and just paddling with my arms.  Felt fast, but my big big worry now is that I'm going to be swimming in zigs and zags.  No pool line painted on bottom.  When I tried picking up my head, my technique suffered, so I don't know, maybe I'll try to match somebody else's speed and let them do the sighting for me? 

I then drove the bike and run courses to eyeball them and get a feel for their rolling nature.  Like the bike course very much.  It's a down and back course, which will be extra motivation for me seeing people that I want to catch, with the final 1/2 to 3/4 mile before the turnaround being a solid 6% climb !!!  Tough climb, but should be a speedy descent too. 

I'm looking forward to actually doing it, I'm nervous/excited/anxious right now and trying to control it, probably will be right up until the start and then once we get going, hopefully settle right into a groove.

your doing your homework, that's smart!!!  the pull cord on teh wetsuit typically has a little velcro patch so you can place it down at the bottom of your back or up by neck.  (creating a little loop)  If not, you can let it dangle and it shouldn't botther you or hinder your swim.  As for sighting, I would advise you to not follow someone else.  The majority of swimmers veer off course more than they need too.  tehcnique will always suffer as your head rasies because your feet drop as a reuslt.  however, it's a necessary evil in open water swimming.  take a look at the sighting drill in the swim video here:  http://www.fast-tri.com/pictures.htm  This should help you understand the proper technique of sighting to limit the negative effect on your stroke.  As you sight, pick an object beyond the bouy that might be easier to see.  this could be a mountain peak, big tree, tower, whatever.  this way, you don't have to strain so much to see a little orange bouy.  Hope that helps and I look forward to hearing about the race.  Again, good luck, don't be nervous, stay relaxed, and have fun!!!

Edited by kenaxford 2009-07-10 11:21 AM
2009-07-11 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Ok, I'm officially a triathlete now, not just a wannabe. 

I did a BT race listing, here's the link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=168831

Or just click on "races" below my post

Edited by Mainer22 2009-07-11 7:34 PM
2009-07-13 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

AWESOME MAINER!!!  good work and welcome ot the club.  It sounds like you had a great race and learned a lot as well.  doens't get better than that especially for a first timer.  congrats.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  

of 11