BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-07 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1892168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now
cathcan - 2009-01-07 10:55 AM

Sledge - 2009-01-07 5:24 AM

Our daily inspiration today is:

I have the courage to face and transform my fears.

Cath has already done this!  Way to go girl!!!  Maybe you can tell us how you did it? 

A lot of my fears are wrapped up with not believing what I am capable of.  This might sound crazy, but if you never push yourself you don't set yourself up for failure.  So stretching outside of your normal bounds is one way to face and transform your fears.  Any others?

good morning all.one of my favorite quotes is from Bob Greene (oprahs trainer)....."We were put on earth to elevate our selves,not demean ourselves" i have punished myself in to many ways to mention over the years and i had to get professional help before i could even realize this ( very sad but enlightening light bulb moment)When my first daughter was born (1998) i vowed i would be strong and confident and healthy, you know, a role model but, the fears just went to another level and i was even more paralized than before. it has taken me 47 years to say my gifts out loud.(i say them as often as i can, it is healing for me)   here are a few.  i have the gift of athleticism (sp?). humor,nurturing,i plan and execute great vacations,i am a good cook,i can make my kids laugh so hard they have to pee,i am brave (that was a hard one to say) anyway there is just a few.  my anxieties are pretty complex (whos aren't) but those are a few of my coping skills.  thanks for asking.   my schedule has me swimming 30 minutes today and  the pool is open YAY!!!! it is snowing big fluffy white flakes today  very pretty.  talk soon  cath

Cath - add to the list... (YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO OTHERS!) I love your story, you have overcome many mental challenges, and you are here in our wonderful forum inspiring people all over the world... That is one of your life gifts.
Amy IN

2009-01-07 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1857670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pam,
Did you say you had messages in to the group members that have been a bit shy??? I was wondering if we could get a revised list so we know who is participating.

I can't remember who here is brand new to triathlons???? I would really like to encourage them a lot, it was a little intimidating for me when I first started.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!! I'm changing this day to a rest day for me due to snow and I will do a workout on Sunday.

Always keep tri-ing...Amy IN
2009-01-07 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1893075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Hello everyone, been a couple of days... work has been a bit long.  I start at 5:55 AM and try to knock off by 3:00 PM but I have been running later these days...  My time off to get things done helped but well, life comes at you fast... enough complaining...

I like the inspirational quotes.  I used them with my team at work for a long time and it helped get things in prospective.

We all have dreams and goals for our families, our communities, the institutions we believe it and much more.  The concept that escapes us is that we can only do any of the things we believe in to our own basic ability.  So, if we don't increase our own basic internal strength, we cannot do the things we love as well as we want.  That comes in two forms.  Our physical and our mental capacity!  We are all here to make ourselves more healthy and strong.  That helps us do everything else we love.  We also need to mentally and spiritually strong as well.  It is that combination that will bring us closer to being all the things we believe.

We leave inspires for each other on our logs... we can also leave our words of wisdom here... and I think that is a truly great idea!!!!

The one that means the most to our family is:

"Never underestimate the impact of a small act of kindness"

I will include inspires later, but this has special meaning.  Anyone who would like to read one of my stories about it just send me an e-mail and I will send it back...

[email protected]

More later, Emerson

2009-01-07 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1893770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
I posted one of my little stories on "my cup of Joe" if anyone wished to read it... I also posted it on my log... EK
2009-01-07 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Cath, do you need any help getting your logs up and running? It's taken me awhile to try to get all this technical stuff figured out.  If you need some help, just let us know.

I get so frustrated with my nutrition. I've been logging my calories (fat, protein, carbs, fiber) and will post after one week for advice, since I'm still obviously doing something wrong. It's so hard to get a good meal in after work and give it time to settle before working out. If I wait until after I work out, I'd be eating right before bed. I try to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. I lost about 25 lbs a year ago (and have kept it off pretty well) eating roughly 300 calories for breakfast, 300 calories for lunch, 600 calories for dinner and three 100 calorie snacks (roughly 1500 calories).  Now, I don't know if I need to eat more or less to try to lose another 10 to 15 lbs. 

2009-01-08 5:24 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Good morning all!

Today our inspiration is:  I have the courage to ask for help and support when I need it.

The easy path is to muddle along on our own.  But there are so many people out there who know so much more than I do, and are willing to share that knowledge and help me out!  In fact, today I am meeting with a friend who used to be a competitive swimmer, and is going to help me structure some workouts.  And I've asked another friend to be my "swimming buddy".  Swimming is not my strength, but I think I can make peace with it with some help and support.

2009-01-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1894035

User image

Extreme Veteran
lufferly - 2009-01-07 10:50 PM

Cath, do you need any help getting your logs up and running? It's taken me awhile to try to get all this technical stuff figured out.  If you need some help, just let us know.

I get so frustrated with my nutrition. I've been logging my calories (fat, protein, carbs, fiber) and will post after one week for advice, since I'm still obviously doing something wrong. It's so hard to get a good meal in after work and give it time to settle before working out. If I wait until after I work out, I'd be eating right before bed. I try to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. I lost about 25 lbs a year ago (and have kept it off pretty well) eating roughly 300 calories for breakfast, 300 calories for lunch, 600 calories for dinner and three 100 calorie snacks (roughly 1500 calories).  Now, I don't know if I need to eat more or less to try to lose another 10 to 15 lbs. 

Cath - Lisa is right we need to see your logs, we will help you out...honestly I can't remember off the top of my head how I set things up, it's been 2 years, but I will figure it out...I think you have your options on private, check it out and let us know.

Lisa - I am in the same boat as you, it is hard to manage eating after workouts because it's usually later in the evening, when it has to be later for me, and trust me I can't always do this because I'm famished...but I fix one bowl of food, not a plate and try to eat slowly, I try to make it last 20-30 mins...so that way I don't over eat... And I always put two kinds of protein bars in my gym back...and will eat one on the way to the gym so I don't get a headach or I'm not starving when I get home. I also might just get a whole bag of frozen brocolli, or whatever you like and put some spray butter on it, and I feel like I'm getting a lot of food. Just find something you can live with. And I always try to eat a banana before bed so I'm not hungry during the night and they are supposed to help you sleep better.

Good luck...trust me. I know how hard it is sometimes.
Amy IN
2009-01-08 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1894170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sledge - 2009-01-08 5:24 AM

Good morning all!

Today our inspiration is:  I have the courage to ask for help and support when I need it.

The easy path is to muddle along on our own.  But there are so many people out there who know so much more than I do, and are willing to share that knowledge and help me out!  In fact, today I am meeting with a friend who used to be a competitive swimmer, and is going to help me structure some workouts.  And I've asked another friend to be my "swimming buddy".  Swimming is not my strength, but I think I can make peace with it with some help and support.

Thanks Cheri...I'm emailing a trainer I know today for some help on my swimming/running, she did the IMKY last year. I have the courage to ask for help!

Amy IN
2009-01-08 10:14 AM

Regular
good morning everyone.   Drumming up the courage to ask for help with the fear of looking stupid looming over my head.  I don't even know what you mean when you say "logs". Is this my training log? Ithought i had opened it. also in the past when i have tried to log my nutrition i could never figure it out. i would log my breakfast  then try to log my lunch and it would cancel out my breakfast. i would end up near tears  because i am not computer savy.  so with a deep breath ..... yes i need help with all of this.    we have a major storm front moving in. so much for running outside but, i have a great tread mill.  ( i hate january)  but that being said i vow to make my day productive from my kitchen instead of my culdesac.  i am in a mid anxiety state this a.m. just trying to pin point the cause.  so much going on. i usually hide when i get like this which is the worst thing i could do. the run will help alot!!!!! endorphins.   have a calm sane day alll   cath
2009-01-08 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Good morning all!

So I met with both friends, and the most helpful one was my swimming buddy!  She and I don't have plans to go to the pool until Monday, but at least that's a start.

2009-01-08 1:54 PM

Regular
Post run report:   schedule said 1 hour run  as i mentioned, anxietal state so i want to crawl back in bed especially given the gloomy cold day outside. I alsmost have to ignore myself at this stage i know thats sounds strange but, if i listen to my own thoughts not only will i not workout i will end up in a self destructive state.  so that is what i do. i don't listen to my own thoughts. i read the schedule. it sais run 1 hour. on go my shorts, my TIGHTEST sports bra ( you know, the one that makes you look like a boy?).and down stairs i go. i sit here typing , anxiety abated (thank you endorphins) with my pink marker having just swiped over1 hour run on my schedule.(next to the mommy i love you card on the fridge)  Its a good day.  my lesson for today was.......you know that thing that you are supposed to do but because your are having such a bad day is the last thing in the world you want to do?.....I DID IT ANY WAY    love cath

2009-01-08 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1895466

Regular

cathcan - 2009-01-08 1:54 PM Post run report:   schedule said 1 hour run  as i mentioned, anxietal state so i want to crawl back in bed especially given the gloomy cold day outside. I alsmost have to ignore myself at this stage i know thats sounds strange but, if i listen to my own thoughts not only will i not workout i will end up in a self destructive state.  so that is what i do. i don't listen to my own thoughts. i read the schedule. it sais run 1 hour. on go my shorts, my TIGHTEST sports bra ( you know, the one that makes you look like a boy?).and down stairs i go. i sit here typing , anxiety abated (thank you endorphins) with my pink marker having just swiped over1 hour run on my schedule.(next to the mommy i love you card on the fridge)  Its a good day.  my lesson for today was.......you know that thing that you are supposed to do but because your are having such a bad day is the last thing in the world you want to do?.....I DID IT ANY WAY    love cath

feel the fear..........then do it any way

2009-01-08 2:36 PM

Regular
ok gang i think i figured out how to add my actual workouts but everytime i try to add nutrition beyond breakfast it just posts the timeand what number meal it is  aas far as carbs  protein and cals and all that i am very much a stundent.  amazing how much clearer my head is after a run.  also how do i access every on eelses blogs?    i am going to go on the premise that there is no such thing as a dumb question.  thansk for alll your help  lots of mistakes typing fast soup is on stove. cath
2009-01-08 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1895604

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Cath,

don't let the detail hang you up.  Just write out what you need to... there is accomplishement and there is activity!  At a certail level, the "activity" of the detail is too much.  If you wish to see how one person approaches their eating, go to my log, look at my friends and click on "tnickerson"  I think she does a nice job listing her stuff and not making it too complicated....  Emerson

2009-01-08 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1895840

Regular
etknowles - 2009-01-08 4:10 PM

Cath,

don't let the detail hang you up.  Just write out what you need to... there is accomplishement and there is activity!  At a certail level, the "activity" of the detail is too much.  If you wish to see how one person approaches their eating, go to my log, look at my friends and click on "tnickerson"  I think she does a nice job listing her stuff and not making it too complicated....  Emerson

wow!!!  thanks emerson thanks is so much more managable.    cath
2009-01-08 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Good morning all!

Very appropriate inspiration today. Isn't that was this is all about? I hope everyone has a great Friday. I know I will!

2009-01-08 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1896446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Hello everyone, did my first night workout in a while.  Since 5:30 AM comes pretty fast, I will be back tomorrow with more thoughts, etc.  Good to hear from so many of you.  If you liked any of my stories, I will post more...  Back tomorrow, Emerson
2009-01-09 5:22 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Today the inspiration is:

I have the courage to spring free of the Superwoman Trap.

You might think this isn't fair to Emerson, but I think he could easily fall into this trap. 
We'll just call it the Superman Trap for him.   From my perspective, this is something that I battle daily.  It's very hard to juggle competing priorities (work, family, personal goals), and at the same time to take time for myself.  But in order to not burn out, it's important to learn how to juggle -- including that all important personal time.

2009-01-09 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1896823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Another great inspiration! I battled with this for years, but over the last year or so, have been able to relax my standards a bit. Keeping my house immacutely clean is no longer a priority over my "me time".  The "me time" comes first, although I still get a little anxious when things are out of place (I just close my eyes as I'm walking out the door to go to the gym or for a run). I no longer feel like I have to come home from work and cook a great dinner. Two of my kiddos are out of the house at this point; my 10 year old will only eat chicken nuggets, yogurt, cereal and fruit (oh, and Nutella this week); and I figure my 21 year old son and my husband are just as capable of cooking as I am, so I try not to let myself feel too guilty. We have to MAKE the time for ourselves in order to be a better parent, spouse, employee, etc.
2009-01-09 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey group! We have made it to the weekend... yay!!!!!! What are everyones plans???? Post them, training or otherwise...

Let's see for me it's no work, just clean the house, meet my Mom and Sister for coffee in the am, and get a long run, and bike in sometime.........oh and go on BT and FB and log, blog and such.

Don't allow anyone to tell you what you can and cannot do. Be tough, be stubborn, love yourself, and find friends who believe in you. Recognize your victories."

Amy IN
2009-01-09 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1896991

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

amy mutz - 2009-01-09 7:51 AM Hey group! We have made it to the weekend... yay!!!!!! What are everyones plans???? Post them, training or otherwise... Let's see for me it's no work, just clean the house, meet my Mom and Sister for coffee in the am, and get a long run, and bike in sometime.........oh and go on BT and FB and log, blog and such. Don't allow anyone to tell you what you can and cannot do. Be tough, be stubborn, love yourself, and find friends who believe in you. Recognize your victories." Amy IN

Happy Friday!!!

I have lots of training plans for today and this weekend.  I got a good run in this morning, and intend to play hookey from work mid-afternoon and get a little bike ride in (bike's on the back of my car right now ).  Tomorrow I have a long run scheduled, and on Sunday I'll do a long bike ride.

For non-training fun, I'm taking my Mom out to a movie (Seven Pounds) and dinner tomorrow, and meeting with my stitching group on Sunday.  Plus there is lots of FOOTBALL (!) to watch -- GO EAGLES!!!

The big deal for me, though, is that I have a "date" with my new swimming buddy on Monday after work.  I'm finally going to get back in the pool -- WOO HOO!!!!

2009-01-09 9:56 AM

Regular

amy mutz - 2009-01-09 7:51 AM Hey group! We have made it to the weekend... yay!!!!!! What are everyones plans???? Post them, training or otherwise... Let's see for me it's no work, just clean the house, meet my Mom and Sister for coffee in the am, and get a long run, and bike in sometime.........oh and go on BT and FB and log, blog and such. Don't allow anyone to tell you what you can and cannot do. Be tough, be stubborn, love yourself, and find friends who believe in you. Recognize your victories." Amy IN

Good morning all.  lets see weekend plans.....Sleep over tonight  (4 girls, 2- 7 yr olds a nine yr old and a 10 year old)  pizza, movies ,dancing,  and of course everyone will be asleep by 9:00 right?out come the pink sleeping bags and every pillow in the house. and the giant stuffed bunny that doubles as a mattress when your'e seven. Saturday is  a day off  and sunday a long bike ride (aka my basement ) any suggestions for good tunes to listen to while toiling away on the trainer? it was -21 celcius this am with a wind chill but is supposed to warm up today. my neighbor got home from mexico last night. i made her describe in detail her trip and lived vicariously through her for  20 minutes have a 45 minute bike ride and 30 minute swim this am.  life is good.....cold.... but good.  take care , cath

2009-01-09 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Let's see, Friday is normally my planned day off but I may try to get to the gym for a swim. My extended family (which also includes my mom, stepfather, sister) likes to go for MF (mexican food on margarita friday), so that should nix that temptation.  It wouldn't be so bad but I cannot avoid those darn chips, so I told them last week to count me out for the next 3 weeks (wince!).  I have a 3 mile run planned over the weekend, an hour or so on the trainer, some more swimming, and possibly water aerobics with my sister in the AM. Then BASEBALL SEASON starts up for my 10 year old who will have his first practice in the morning with a new team.  League play starts February 9th - yah!!  Oh, and did I mention cleaning and laundry, as well- yuck!.  But it's the weekend, so ENJOY!!

2009-01-09 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1897432

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Reading about all the plans with kids brings back great memories...

Let's see, the schedule:

Up today at 5:30 for work, conference calls early, the help pick up house as we are having some nuns and a priest for lunch... something about a messy house that is not good...  Then off to take Peg to therapy and do errands while she is at her session, then to dinner with some other sponsors to the U of A presents series, then home to pack to leave for Ohio in the AM....  I am not sure where a workout fits....

Saturday is looking very good:  Up at 5:15 AM and I will get in 10 - 12 miles, then back here to shower and represent my writing club at an activities fair, then to the airport, then to Ohio, I get to see our granddaughter when I get picked up at the airport, very cool!!!

Sunday, up early for a run with my son-in-law, then lunch with my mom (89) and Kathy (Katod) who will be in to visit her grandma for the weekend, then back home to work on Monday's meetings, then a swim -- yes a swim -- at the local athletic club (Urban Something, I can't remember the name), then finish some reports on Sunday night and a new week begins...

Just a normal weekend...

Back later after lunch with all the blessed ones... EK

2009-01-09 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1897138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sledge - 2009-01-09 8:52 AM

Happy Friday!!!

I have lots of training plans for today and this weekend.  I got a good run in this morning, and intend to play hookey from work mid-afternoon and get a little bike ride in (bike's on the back of my car right now ).  Tomorrow I have a long run scheduled, and on Sunday I'll do a long bike ride.

For non-training fun, I'm taking my Mom out to a movie (Seven Pounds) and dinner tomorrow, and meeting with my stitching group on Sunday.  Plus there is lots of FOOTBALL (!) to watch -- GO EAGLES!!!

The big deal for me, though, is that I have a "date" with my new swimming buddy on Monday after work.  I'm finally going to get back in the pool -- WOO HOO!!!!

I heard seven pounds was really good, let us know. What are you stitching in your group?

Amy IN
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  

of 18