BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cathyd's Peer Support Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-02-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1981124

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: cathyd's Peer Support Group - FULL
MtnJay - 2009-02-25 10:25 AM

And yeah, unclipping the right is safer as you mentioned. One of those odd things to try and get used to. Maybe tape a post-it to your left foot with the letters NO filling the entire thing?

Oh wait, I know, do right sided unclip interval sessions on your trainer! Like every 15mins, unclip the right, resume? (funny but it might help?)

Nah - I have no intention of changing .... I know that I would fall for sure if I tried that.  I was just wondering if anyone else unclips left.  I actually like taking up a bit more room - reminds the idiots in the cars that I'm there.... *giggling*

Congrats Andi on your rides!!

2009-02-27 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1870560

User image

Expert
Ontario

I'm sitting here thinking about it and I think I clip out my left foot first.   I know that because the three times I've fallen over clipped in I fell to my right (the foot that was still clipped in) In my case this meant I was falling away from traffic if there had been any.  I was also standing still when I fell so didn't cause much damage.  I do most of my biking on country roads with little traffic and none of my falls were witnessed.  The biggest problem with falling to the right is that the chain ends up against your leg leaving nice grease marks on it. 

2009-03-02 9:40 AM

User image

Yay for March... Spring is on the way!

5 months to my "A" race, and I think I'm on track for training. How is everyone else doing?

As for the clip out question, I think I mostly clip out with my right, simply because I'm better at getting out and in again. I do sometimes consciously work on both sides.
2009-03-02 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

Off Topic Peer Support Request [fun no? :]

Ok, I guess it's no fun if you haven't been or don't plan on going. Where? Well due to the overwhelming support of my Canadian peers it's gotta be time to leave the U.S.  I mean, this country's economy doesn't need me to spend any of my money here right? Err.. scratch that.

Anyway, I'm planning a long weekend to Québec City in late May and was looking for any advice on what to see, do, eat, etc.. I've got a place to stay already. Figured I'd ask my BT pals in-case someone's been there possibly?

Oh and uh.. keep training 'n stuff!

2009-03-02 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1991827

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
MtnJay - 2009-03-02 12:27 PM

Anyway, I'm planning a long weekend to Québec City in late May and was looking for any advice on what to see, do, eat, etc.. I've got a place to stay already. Figured I'd ask my BT pals in-case someone's been there possibly?

Have an AWESOME time!!  I'll ask around - several people here have been.  Make sure to have some poutine (fries, gravy and cheese curds) for a snack at some point!!  I've never been - I lived in Montreal for a year and could help you out there ... QC is somewhere I'd like to get to soon though!  It is beautiful from what I understand.

2009-03-06 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1991827

User image

Expert
Ontario

I've never been to Quebec City although I was signed up for the marathon there one year but didn't make it.  It's still one I'd like to do.  Don't know anything about the city except they build an ice hotel every winter that you can stay at.  And the city has a very european style.  

Have a fun trip.

2009-03-06 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Hi gang.  I'm taking my log offline for a couple weeks.  A lot of family stuff and major job stress here, I've really lost my focus and need  to get it back.   Talk to you all again soon.
2009-03-07 11:52 PM

User image

I hope that all will be well Cathy! Thoughts and prayers for your family and job situation too,

Keri

2009-03-09 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2002447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

cathyd - 2009-03-06 3:06 PM Hi gang.  I'm taking my log offline for a couple weeks.  A lot of family stuff and major job stress here, I've really lost my focus and need  to get it back.   Talk to you all again soon.

Cathy, I hope you get life sorted and have things go your way. Stop in when you can and keep up posted on how you are doing. We'll be thinking of ya!

[oh and keep training as best you can, as you know, definitely helps with stress :]

2009-03-10 10:29 PM

User image

Cathy.... you'll be missed.  Please come back.

I have been SLACKING!!  Being sick, having lots of work and then the in-laws = eating bad and training less.  Time to get back on the program.  Thanks for all the inspires while I have been away!

2009-03-18 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2010060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
I think our group is slowly disappearing ..

2009-03-18 11:28 AM

User image

Hi! Life has been crazy, but I should be back now!! How is everyone else doing? My training hasn't been the most consistent yet, but given how crazy work has been, I'm just happy to be getting in my training the majority of days... I think I really need to focus on the running, and especially running right after biking...

It s been great weather here in Colorado Springs, which means I can start commuting to work again--15 miles each way on the bike adds up over the week! 

2009-03-19 2:04 PM

User image

Howdy Group!! I hope everyone is doing well! Is spring springing where you are at? The sun is shining today here and I think I will go for a run outside if I don't decide to take a nap instead teehee!
2009-03-21 1:53 PM

User image

I am still here..... a bit frustrated.. but still here.  We have had non stop visitors for two weeks.  Last fof the family left today.  I have been able to keep up the running, but swimming and biking have once again taken the back seat.  Not sure if I will be able to complete the swim distance  in my tri coming in late April.  I plan to go back to the pool starting on
Tuesday.

Also, twisted my ankle on Thursday during a four miler.  I am going to try and run on it again tomorrow.  Every day it is a little better, but I have to shoot a wedding tonight so I am going to see how it responds to standing for eight hours.

Don't give up on me yet....

2009-03-21 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I'm back! Report cards, course and well ... life kinda got in the way.

Did some open water this week in Florida - it was gorgeous! 78 degree water - dolphins swimming - I totally surprised 3 pelicans! *laughing*

2009-03-21 11:58 PM

User image

I've been lurking but quiet. I was sick with a cold last week, but I'm back on track again. The weather is getting better, which helps with my motivation too! (Although reading some of the blogs of you folks further south sure makes me jealous!)

The next two weeks of work are going to be BUSY, so I really have to be on top of my training or it will easily get pushed aside. I'm expecting you all to keep me on target!

2009-03-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2032575

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

amg - 2009-03-22 12:58 AM

I'm expecting you all to keep me on target!

[loud crap of a whip!]

2009-03-23 4:20 PM

User image

New user
Vegas

I'm glad to hear everyone's weather is getting better - that will everyone in our efforts to get ready for the coming season!!!  yay for sunshine!

Well, it was bound to happen, I fell off the bike on my ride Saturday.  Luckily (I guess) I was on a paved trail out in the desert, so I didn't have to worry about traffic, but I feel off the side of the trail and into the rocks and gravel.  I've got a couple pretty nice bruises on my knee, butt, scratch on my forearm, but nothing too serious (like Lance's fall of something).  It was really amaizng how it hapened, and how everything is in slow motion but you just can't stop it.  hahaha.  What a bummer.

Other than that, I'm jsut getting back from being a little bit of slacker with friends visiting for a week, and then being sick for a week.  I've lsot some more weight, which is great.  ABout 11 pounds since the beginnine of the years and 55 over all since last summer. Got to do some great spring snowboarding over the weekend too, which was absolutely wonderful!  In the past week I've swam, ran, biked, snowboarded, played racquetball and softball.  Busy busy bee!

2009-03-23 6:04 PM

User image

New user
Vegas
Oh, I also wanted to ask....the balls of my feet are falling asleep during my bike ride.  20-30 miles total and for about half of the ride my foot is jacked up.  Should I change the positioning of the clip?  What's a girl to do?
2009-03-31 5:14 PM

User image

New user
Vegas
so is this board officially dead?
2009-04-01 12:20 AM
in reply to: #2052211

User image

andigurl - 2009-03-31 4:14 PM so is this board officially dead?

Is it??  I hope not, It has been fun to see you on facebook though! I keep checking in to the board but it has been very quiet! I hope that everyone is doing well...

I am nervous about the tri coming up this weekend and I am trying to taper, I hate tapering, I am thinking I am doing too much or not enough!

hugs, Keri

2009-04-01 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

First I want to apologize for not being very social the past month or so. Spent a couple weeks feeling sorry for myself and stressed out and I tend to keep to myself when stressed.  Things are much better now and especially with warmer weather and sunny days I feeling good again.  I seriously think I may suffer from some Seasonal Affective Disorder as this happens to me almost every winter.  But enough about me.

Checking everyone's logs it looks like most have been working out consistently and most are starting some type of structured  training plan for their season.  My official plan starting date is April 27.   A few of us, however, seem to have gotten lost or are having motivation issues. If we can help you get back on track please let us know. 

Thanks to everyone for sending me inspires... I am really  bad at responding or inspiring others, an issue I have in other areas of my life as well such as keeping in touch with family and friends.

of my time and attention for a year.   What do you think I should do?  What would you do?  I think I'll post this in question in tri talk as well to get some other opinions.

Thanks gang.. lets get some color on those white white April calendars !

I need some advice from all of you.  The year I turned 40 I ran my first marathon (it was my first race of any distance).  Next year I turn 50 and I'd planned that I would do a full IM.  But lately I've been thinking how nice it would be to take a year and concentrate on running and that it might be cool to run the same marathon that I did 10 years earlier and run it faster this time.  As much as I like triathlon and I do love cycling and enjoy swimming it does take up a lot of time and has become a bit of an obsession for me.   Training for only one sport would give me much more spare time to do other things, and hopefully I could become a faster runner which would only help me when I returned to tri training (if I could maintain the run fitness).
What would you do?    The marathon I would do is in May so I'd really only be run focused from Sept '09 until May '10, then could resume tri training.  Actually now that I wrote that I could run focus over the winter to run a PR marathon in May then resume bike & swim and still do the IM race in Nov....... maybe that would work !!  I could do both !

2009-04-01 10:54 AM

User image

Hi! I'm not "dead," just slow

My training hasn't been great, but I'm getting back on the "horse" this week! My goal is for a few ease into it days, and for some hard core training this weekend   I've been ok on staying on the bike, but really bad at running and swimming.  I'm not too worried about the swimming, I can handle the HIM distances without any training (I know, its unfair, but just think of how much swimming I did in the past 15 years), but I am very nervous about the running... Hopefully I haven't lost too much with my crappy efforts lately, or hopefully it will come back quickly....

How is everyone else doing? I'm jealous of your nice weather! We had a few nice days here in Colorado, but now that it's spring, the real snow and cold is coming... Not Fair! Looks like a lot of trainer time for me....

2009-04-02 6:10 AM
in reply to: #2053865

User image

YES! DO BOTH Cathy! I like that idea best!

we have missed you cathy! so glad that the sunshine is helping. I think the exercise helpS with the S.A.D. ...overcoming the S.A.D. enough to go and train and keep to the plan in itself is an overcoming thing.. if that makes sense.  

glad you are back!

Sorry about the weather Courtney! It must turn warmer eventually, hopefully soon for you

Edited by kerilynn 2009-04-02 6:13 AM
2009-04-06 4:16 PM

User image

I agree.  not dead - it's just a real challenge for me as I am stuck on my computer most of the day.  IT's becoming more and more of a challenge for me to get the workouts in as my work begins to take more of my time.  I seem to run because I can do it at anytime and I am not battling the wind or spending 40 minutes in drive time to get to the pool.  I knew going into this it would be my greatest challenge and I was not wrong.  I NEED inspiration, I NEED motivation.  Some of you are still following me on facebook and though you never say anything about tri training it is a reminder to do it - so I thank you for that. 

Still here... just not doing as well as I thought.

eta:
CathyD, I feel your struggles. I agreed to marathon train with my husband and that is not until the end of the year but I have to get my runs in since we started off the couch.  Running five times per week leaves little time for anything else. I'm trying... but we'll see.  I say do both, but being in it myself its harder than it sounds.

Edited by mhm09 2009-04-06 10:10 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cathyd's Peer Support Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11